KSR Show Thread, 10/12: Miss. State recap and getting ready for the Vols

It’s an action-packed Monday on Kentucky Sports Radio radio as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude recap the big win over Mississippi State and look ahead to Jeremy Pruitt’s Tennessee. The gang will have lots to say and they’ll love to hear from you too.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

97 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 10/12: Miss. State recap and getting ready for the Vols

1. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I clicked on four pics of cars to come here and point out that the “Expand Article” button is annoyingly similar to that Tennessee color.

• runningunnin.454
      10:05 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

The expand article button is actually orange; I don’t know what you call that pukey UT color.

10:29 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of cars and Tennessee colors, I used to own a 1969 Camaro Z/28 that was Hugger Orange with white stripes. It was a sharp car, and a lot of fun, but at times I wished it was Lemans Blue. 🙂 Of course, my current ride is Garnet Red. Guess I need to trade…

2. Realme
    10:09 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, Aunt Marsha, er I mean Coach Leach, that was embarrassing for you.

10:12 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I have no explanation for what I watched Saturday night, but it sure was good to see some defense again. I was expecting us to get torched by Miss Sippy State.

10:13 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

It was a bit more fun to watch! Although eeeeek to that offense. Just give it to C-Rod.

3. Realme
    10:10 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

How would you ever prepare to play us. You’d have NO IDEA which part of our team will play well.

10:29 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I guess that’s our secret weapon.

4. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    10:14 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I’ve stopped getting optimistic about beating UT, UF, or GA – it just never happens. I think there’s a better chance of finding a unicorn. I pencil in a loss to these teams at the beginning of the year so that when we choke away a victory inside the 5 yard line, I’m not surprised or overly disappointed. We WILL lose on Saturday in the worst way imaginable so I suggest all other fans don’t get your hopes up. I for one won’t be watching because it just isn’t worth ruining another Saturday watching a team not play up to its potential.

10:15 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, we’ll do better against Bama than them.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:20 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

What’s wrong with you? We obviously don’t play Alabama every year. Obviously we will lose to them this year.

10:24 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

We’ll see Pensacola underscore cat underscore fan.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Former UK commit Mac Jones is tearing it up. Our D will definitely have to step up that game for us to even keep it close. Our O will have to score some points.

*The above brought to you by my “DUH!” statements.

10:31 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I have a serious question about Mac Jones. If he hadn’t decommitted, and was our qb this season, would he have been as good under our coaching?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:39 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think so. Steve Sarkisian is another one of those gurus that I’m afraid we don’t have.

5. Realme
    10:14 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Hey btw, the curse of the backup qb seems to be broken. That’s a relief.

10:19 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it looked like Leach was reaching deep into his bag of tricks by bringing that backup in. I fully expected it to work.

10:32 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t even notice, or I would have started getting nervous.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Saturday’s offense was terrible; 35 total net yards in 2nd half; 14 3rd quarter plays for -12 yards. Ten 1st downs and 157 total yards. If this doesn’t improve early in the UT game, it’s time for a change; TW and Rose are going to pick it up, and the 2nd half play calling has to improve. Prideful and hardheaded are not positive attributes of a coach.

10:17 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Rodriguez fumbles once as a freshman, Gran never fully trusts him again. AJ fumbles every game, no problem.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

This is a head scratcher for sure.

10:34 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I get to live with head scratching coaching decisions at least twice a week at the high school level. Why should college football be diffferent?

7. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

After years of playing nobody the first couple of weeks of the season, it makes sense that the players and staff weren’t ready for the schedule we have this year.

Gatewood looks like an actual dual-threat QB, as opposed to a run-only QB.

10:35 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

We had family over and I had to get the campfire going for the marshmallows, so I didn’t get to see Gatewood play very much. Did he look good?

10:38 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

It didn’t last very long, and of course they dropped his pass, but he and McClain (the young rb they’re always raving about) looked promising.

10:39 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

He was only in there a short time, so it’s hard to say for sure. He did throw a nice pass that hit a receiver right in the hands, which he of course dropped. I watched most of the game on an iPad by the firepit.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Not to be a wet blanket, but I gotta be me: it was ONE pass. McClain did look great on his 17 yard run. He laid a lick on a guy and ran over him toward the end.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

To be consistent, that was only 1 run also.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

The reason our OL (IMO) had trouble protecting Terry is that even though the Big Blue Wall has been great at run blocking, the stats show that it hasn’t been as good at pass blocking, including 2018. I can’t put my fingertips on that, but I’ve read it here and there.

Granted, being so run heavy last year may not have helped in that regard.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

And 1 guy alone had 4 or 5 of those interceptions in that Florida game Matt mentioned. I forgot his name. Steve Superior should have left Terry Dean in that game so we could have gotten 4 or 5 more, but instead, he pulled him, and the legend of Danny Wuerfel (Wiffle? Waffle?) began. (*sigh*)

10. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Our offense/defense has to lose the Jekyll and Hyde psychosis. Saturday showed us that the SEC is balanced. Tennessee, Georgia, Mizzou, Florida, and S Carolina all looked good. Only “sure thing” is Vandy; we have to be ready to play (and coach) every game.

11. Realme
    10:28 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I love it when Ryan is spunky instead of just yes’ing Matt.

• JTHinton
      11:19 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

“Would you let me finish!?”

Basically sums up the show

11:28 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha yes. That’s whoever Matt is talking to, and then Matt’s line would be “would you let me finish interrupting you?!”

12. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    10:29 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I also think the o-line is not great in pass coverage, but maybe it had to do with the type of defense Miss St played. Hopeful we look better against a more typical 3-4 or 4-3 this weekend.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky Football – where legendary backup quarterbacks are born (for the other team).

14. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I have always like Mike Leach, and I have thought he would be fun to have as UK’s head coach, but Saturday’s performance by them may have tempered that a bit. I guess I will have to see how he does in a few years when he has more of his system and players in there.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh good lawd, I want to see Matt Jones driving a boat. Would be even more fun to see him docking or trailering one. 🙂

10:45 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Would he drive it like that dude at Lake of the Ozarks?

10:49 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh the stories he’d be able to tell.

10:54 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

He would complain about how all the other people drove their boats, and then find out on air that the navigation rules are a thing.

10:56 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha nailed it!

16. ClutchCargo
    10:43 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Dammit. R.I.P., Joe Morgan.

10:55 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Just heard about it too. The Big Red Machine was a favorite of mine as a kid in the 70’s.

17. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

No one has been a bigger TW fan than I; however, our offense has to be more consistent. Terry still runs scared, slides short of line to gain, steps out of bounds instead of cutting back for more yards, fumble prone, and passing is not consistently accurate. Why not give JG a shot; we also have to think about the future, and TW has already said this is his last year?

10:48 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I think going out of bounds was the smart play there, and I was fine with it. Let C-Rod or somebody take those hits in the middle of the field, not the starting QB. But I agree on all the other stuff.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m okay with a QB running out of bounds, especially Terry coming off the injury he had last season. What pisses me off is when Rose does it. Lower your shoulder and deliver a hit for another 2 yards.

10:55 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

There were a lot of “TW IS OUR QB!!!!” people on my Twitter calling for a change Saturday. I actually thought that game illustrated more than ever that with our receivers, any qb would look bad. But I think they should be using Gatewood at least some regardless. Terry can’t keep getting beat up and last all season, might as well have the backup feeling comfortable.

10:57 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I wish Josh Pascal had stayed in the middle of the field – I think he would have scored a pick-six simply with his momentum.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Don’t you love to see the big guys go for the end zone? Go for it, Big Fella.

11:07 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yes, that’s the best. They get so tired. 🙂

11:17 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

When’s the last time we had a fat guy touchdown? I really thought we had one there, even though he’s not all that fat. At least he had the awareness to secure the ball when he knew he was about to get hit.

• JTHinton
      11:56 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, would it be the Liberty bowl against East Carolina? Or the game vs Tenn on Halloween?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:07 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m replying late, but we also had a lineman with a scoop and score against UL one year. It was the the year after the “Stevie got loose” play. I forgot his name.

18. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:48 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Ahhh, the song/album that broke Styx up. I have it on vinyl. lol

10:57 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Missed it – which song?

11:18 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I think it was Mr. Roboto. For all the great songs Styx had, they had some real stinkers as well.

11:22 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh hell, I forgot that garbage. They might have well have done a mime act on stage.

19. Laker Cat 18
    10:52 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

UK game analysis time!

— Defense played LIGHTS OUT. 6 picks? C’mon man! It was stunning.

— Offense still has a lot of work to do. Rose: 2.8 yards per carry. Rodriguez: 5.4 ypc. There are still a couple of offensive calls that continue to happen that are questionable to me.

— Duffy is goated. Hated to see the high snap on the safety though.

— Ruffolo had a good day!

10:59 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

If I see another lateral (or nearly lateral) pass that gets to the receiver just before the defender does, I might throw my tv. Especially if it has a chance to result in a safety or TD for the other team.

11:01 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

UGH! Why is that 90% of our passing? It’s garbage.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and the guy is always nekkid; they don’t know they can put a blocker out there with him. Most miserable play we have, and I’m surprised the opponents haven’t taken one the other way.

11:10 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

But can we at least put something on the throw, instead of just lobbing it softly like we’re playing catch? TIA

11:27 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, sometimes I think our receivers should punch Eddie Gran in the nose. Run up there and lay a viscous hit on him and say, “see, doesn’t feel so good, does it?”

11:28 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

That snap was so far off target that even AD couldn’t have caught it.

11:34 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

How about Duffy kicking that bouncing/rolling football straight forward with MSU players right on his heels? That was impressive as hell.

11:39 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I can’t think that fast, good on him.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I was glad to see them seem to hit the tight ends a little more than one time.

20. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:52 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Not only did Arkansas get jobbed on that call/non-call, but they ran 10 seconds off the clock, and that gave Arkansas less time when they got the ball back. So, all they had time to do was laterals on the kickoff and they fumbled the ball almost immediately.

21. runningunnin.454
    10:56 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I watched the Georgia game a week ago, and I watched the A&M game Saturday; these people are not practicing distance, and there are no masks. The A&M student section had 30 kids with their arms around each other swaying to and fro…and no masks. Also looked to be more than 20% capacity. One way or another, this behavior is going to put the season in danger.

11:38 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Not good. I hope we don’t get collectively smacked with a major surge nationwide. We are already worried that we won’t be able to have any family over for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. 🙁 I was really hoping we would be in a better place by now. I think medical science is starting to catch up with the virus to develop better treatments, and hopefully a vaccine will be available, but the fact is that it’s still a dangerous situation.

11:42 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

It kind of worries me about the effect it could have on basketball.

• JTHinton
      11:55 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

There is no way that UGA or TAMU have 25% capacity as they claim

Dan Mullen of Florida is asking for a full stadium since Gov. DeSantis is allowing them now.

For better or worse, we as a society have moved on from the virus. It’s just not practical to lock down forever, or distance forever. Never going to happen.

22. Realme
    11:09 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

So happy Chris Oats went home, hate seeing him in that wheelchair though. Hope it isn’t permanent. So sorry about John Short’s mom. What a tear jerking start to my Saturday twitters.

11:13 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

From a non-sports standpoint, it’s great to see him getting to go home now. Just getting to the point where he can live a normal life without a wheelchair would be fantastic, I think.

11:17 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

For sure, seems like he is lucky to be alive. I doubt he’ll play football, but maybe we’ll get to see him standing on the sidelines some day.

23. Laker Cat 18
    11:10 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Shout-out to Chris Oats…I’m glad to see him improving. Very sad situation.

24. runningunnin.454
    11:16 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

You’re not going to lose to Evansville, right Matt?

25. RealCatsFan
    11:23 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

When Ryan says “Poop State”, what state is he actually talking about? Indiana? Tennessee?

26. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I know a lot of people were pulling for the Heat, and I am not particularly a LeBron fan (pretty much “meh” on him), but I was glad to see A.D. finally get that ring.

11:26 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Even though they didn’t win, what a ride for Bam and Tyler.

11:30 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Rondo with the Celtics was my favorite NBA Title run ever. Good to see Playoff Rondo still has it. I think the Heat have a bright future with those guys.

11:34 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Agree – although it will be interesting to see if the Heat can keep the same chemistry up in a non-bubble season. Hope they can.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

And, Bam and Tyler are so young; the Heat just need one more guy. And yep, Rondo is still the man, a magician with the ball.

11:41 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Rondo is said to be one of the most cerebral players in the game. Much has been said of his intelligence being exceptional. I wonder if he has a future in coaching after he retires from playing.

11:54 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I was surprised watching the MJ documentary, how very cerebral Dennis Rodman was. He studied every move and angle his individual opponents would take. I imagine Rondo being like that.

27. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of bumper stickers, I was at a car show recently and a guy went out west and bought a late 50’s era Ford Country Squire station wagon that had an original “I Like Ike” sticker on the bumper. Pretty cool find! (I think the people under the age of 40 probably had no idea what it was about.)

28. Realme
    11:46 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Of – freaking – course it’s harder to understand a person talking through a mask. smh Hopefully TN’s coach will stick with the idiotic Cornholio look.

• JTHinton
      11:53 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Some people act like wearing a mask has virtually no negative consequences/outcomes. Of course it does, it’s designed to inhibit breath and air flow! Naturally, it’s going to be more difficult to breathe and harder to hear you!

But whenever somebody brings up these facts, people go crazy.

11:56 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

I know, if you say it’s hard to breathe through a mask, it means you love Trump and want everyone else to die, according to the internet.

• Megan
      12:42 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

JT, you’re absolutely right. That’s why no one could ever understand bank, train and stagecoach robbers. “What’s that you say? Get my handsome? I’m sorry, could you speak more clearly, please?”

Does the coach think the virus is transmitted through his ear holes? He looks like a fool. People who argue masks are the problem only sound like fools (ahem).

29. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Blast from the nineties – one hit wonder named Harvey Danger.

• Megan
      12:45 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

Love that song! Don’t know why you brought it up, but happy to have it playing in my head. It took me a good long time to understand some of the lyrics.

1:49 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

STD was playing it when they came back from commercial break. It was an anthem of sorts for me back in my young, carefree days. 🙂

30. JTHinton
    11:58 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Is Tennessee still planning on wearing black unis against us? If so, we definitely need to break out the chrome domes and white jerseys/pants!

• Bluehender
      12:21 pm October 12, 2020 Permalink

That’s right…good guys against the bad guys..