KSR Show Thread (10/1): Recapping the weekend

Tune in to Kentucky Sports Radio radio to hear the gang talk about Kentucky’s win over South Carolina and everything else from the weekend. Also, how good is Kentucky?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

89 Comments for KSR Show Thread (10/1): Recapping the weekend

1. Another week, another win. *yawn*

On to College Station.

• Realme
      10:08 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Guess we might as well beat A&M too.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:10 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Yes. Would prefer that they don’t drop one just to “stir things up a bit”. Ha.

• Now I know what Bama feels like. Haha! Just kidding.

I’m not kidding about this though: I’ve said 1000 times that SC is a fraud…every.year.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Now it’s UCS instead of Florida who has the Will Muschump disease. Every time they showed him I had the feeling that he was going to go home and yell at his wife. His dog was probably hiding under the bed. Wife too. πŸ˜‰

• cats646
      10:28 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

12-0 baby!!!!!!!!!!!! Go cats!!

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I kept waiting for the tv camera to catch Muschump in mid-scream, because he does have an amazing “angry” face. I think he was too demoralized to even work up to doing that.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Thought the days of closing the playbook, and running the ball into a stacked box were over…guess not. No Bowden, no Conrad, no 10-12 yard passes. Can’t kill the clock and protect a lead if you can’t get first downs. This started with 9 minutes left in the third quarter…somebody on the sidelines has a mental block.

• Someone show Gran & Stoops the 2015 Wisky game and see what happens when you fold ’em early (I don’t know if that the appropriate term since I don’t gamble).

• CATandMONKEY
      10:17 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Concise, precise analysis of the plague that visited UK in the second half.

Everyone in both states knew that the ONLY hope of stopping Snell was to Stack the box and dare us to pass. We sorta didn’t always rise to that dare.

We have the players and the plays. Will need both to come home winners this weekend.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Why not make use of Terry’s speed and run some plays to get that part of his game going? Could have lined Benny up in the WC and done a reverse to Terry. Playing not to lose has a tendency to sneak up and bite you in the ass.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

And the penalties in the 4th quarter; did they suddenly forget how to play football…nope; this team knows they’re good, and they want to go for it. I just don’t think they can play that way.

• The false starts were the most frustrating.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I agree on the playing not to lose comment. The prevent offense is really hard to watch, and I hope we don’t do that again. On the other hand, it’s awesome that we are all bitching about how to handle a second half 2 touchdown lead on the way to 3-0 in the conference. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, to play devil’s advocate, we can only look at the way that Louisville lost on Bobby’s inane decision to pass the ball as an example of why they may have gone conservative. I just feel like they went to it too early in a game where we had a substantial lead and could take some chances to keep our momentum going.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m definitely not all broken up about it. And I completely understand that we have a good enough defense to do that against most teams. It’s a good problem to have!

3. J-Dub421
    10:15 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

C!
    A!
    T!
    S!
    CATS! CATS! CATS!!

4. J-Dub421
    10:17 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Also, we won by 2 touchdowns, just like I said we would on Friday.

• I wish we had punched the ball in at least 1 more time to make it a 30+ score. It may have inched us 1 or 2 slots higher in the rankings, but I’m happy.

This Saturday we need to clean up those penalties, and like RG alluded to, GET CJ THE BALL! Reasons:

1) He gets open
      2) He’s a big target (obvs)
      3) He doesn’t drop the ball (a plague of our WR in some years past)
      4) He gets yards after catch
      5) He’s deceptively fast (see #4)

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Terry is completing about 67% of his passes. I don’t know why it feels like we’re afraid to throw it sometimes.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:30 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget about Bowden.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I said 28-14 so I was off a little. I think we are a good road team, so I’m going 21-17.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

That is next game, of course…A&M is going down 21-17. Unless we try to kill the clock ha ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

The way we ended the 2nd quarter bugged me more than just about anything. Had a great chance to at least get to field goal range and tack on 3 more points, and proceeded to crap in the bed instead.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Really wanted to check out KSBar to watch the game Saturday, but in addition to having my daughter with me, we also had out dog since we couldn’t find a neighbor to come by and let her out of her crate. Oh well, still had fun watching the game, although that second half was like pulling teeth.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

My excitement this week is bittersweet and tempered with news that my father’s health is declining. His GBM brain tumor is advancing, and when I went to visit him last night he is experiencing a lot of hallucinations. Hard to see him like that. If you guys have elderly parents, treasure every moment you can spend with them.

• Realme
      10:28 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, that absolutely sucks. You’re being very good to him though.

My dad has cancer (prostate) and it has been so many months of more tests with more to come. He feels fine and the doctors aren’t that concerned, but his father and brother both died from it, so you can imagine his mental state.

• I’m so sorry man. Prayers.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:30 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Just wishing the best for you and your family. Prayers out to you.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

May God bless both your Dads.

• BluKudzu
      11:09 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Best to you and your family during this difficult time.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m very sorry to hear that RCF and RM.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:39 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

Prayers

7. CATandMONKEY
    10:29 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

My Mother-in-law will direct my kids to

“Put them pillers there in front of the winder. And please do it dreckly.”

8. Realme
    10:32 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I wore a dirty shirt all day Saturday to help cancel out Matt’s bad mojo. You’re welcome.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

It should be REAL lucky by next weekend.

• Realme
      10:39 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Well I washed it yesterday. In my defense it was clean for Florida and Miss St.

• Booby Petrino
      10:59 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m still wearing the same shirt I’ve worn for every game. I have washed it each time, though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

One of my favorite t-shirts to wear around the house is maroon, and I had it on most of the day Saturday. Even though I was feeling pretty swaggy, I did decide to change before the game started and not push my luck.

9. I’m telling you all Ryan sounds like the MVP guy on that commercial if you’re listening on WLAP.

10. BG Cat
    10:37 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

One angle on the hit looks shoulder to shoulder, but another looked like their helmets hit

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Amazing how much the game has changed in the past few years. Dicky Lyons Jr. would probably be in solitary confinement for that block he made vs. LSU.

• cats646
      10:54 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Yes clutch! He would’ve got the death penalty!

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Or Wyndham’s hit on Tebow.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Or Dorian’s hit on that LSU dude.

11. Realme
    10:41 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Chester’s such a nut. He makes me happy.

• BluejayK
      8:24 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

I have been listening to KSR since the start. I am calling BS on Chester being real. Of all the regulars that call, Matt has never gotten snippy, or frustrated with Chester , kind of like he did today with Harold wanting his tickets. I think Chester is a fake. Has this ever been discussed?

• BluejayK
      8:26 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

May I add, it is entertaining and I enjoy his call. I just think it’s kind of tongue in cheek, to make fun of us from β€œKentucky β€œ

12. Realme
    10:42 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Anyone know how the kid is that got hurt in the Vandy / directional school I forget game?

13. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:44 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Thank God their receivers couldn’t catch the ball.

• cats646
      10:55 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

And Bear Bryant!

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing during the game. But you know what? We are all of a sudden getting all those breaks that used to go against us. I have no idea why the tide has turned, but I kind of like it!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:05 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Maybe the football gods decided we’ve been punished enough for pretty much running Bear Bryant out of town.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

You mean the Curse of the Bear might be broken?

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Did someone sacrifice a live chicken on the field? Other than the Gamecocks, that is. πŸ˜‰

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

We Kentucky Fried the gamecocks.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

yummm, extra crispy; but, we should have won by 5 TD’s.

14. secrick
    11:04 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t see a thing we should have done differnt. We won baby and that’s all that matters.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I like how you think, Rick! πŸ™‚

15. secrick
    11:21 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

There is no way i thought we would be 5 and 0 and before the season i struggled to find 6 wins. Man do i know a lot about Football. Going to the game Sat even though its 982 miles away.

16. J-Dub421
    11:24 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I can’t stand Tiger Woods, but that is funny.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Maybe I need to turn in my man card, but when the Matt, Ryan and STD start talking about wrestling, my eyes glaze over.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

No need to turn in your man card over that. However, it might mean your adolescent card is expired.

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Wouldn’t that be a FAKE man card?

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

HaHa, rg! Guilty as charged, I guess. Clutch, my daughters will assure you that my adolescent card has not expired! Funny RCF story – at my daughter’s tournament, I found myself sitting next to an older gentleman with a Dunbar shirt on. He struck up a conversation, and told me his granddaughter played for Dunbar. I pointed out my daughter to him, and he grinned and said that when she was walking by earlier, she let out a huge burp in front of him. He said in fun he yelled out “excuse you” at her, and she was totally embarrassed. So I saw her looking at me talking to him during the game, and afterwards she said her teammates were giving her the third degree that her dad was now talking to the guy who called her out for burping. Chip off the old block, I say. πŸ˜€

18. Realme
    11:32 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Watched the last few minutes of Louisville’s game. I was howling when they got scored on last minute.

• J-Dub421
      11:34 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

It’s hilarious watching U of L choke and be terrible.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Nearly as hilarious as watching their fans melt down like a bunch of toddlers. lol

19. cats646
    11:32 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

If Matt saw what my high school coach used to do to us when he was yelling at us during games he would have a heart attack. I don’t see nothing wrong with what jimbo did. It’s football y’all.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:38 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

But Jimbo also proved that winning was more important than integrity in Winston rape case. Anyone who has children preparing to atternd or already attending college who hasn’t watched ‘The Hunting Ground’ on Netfilx should do so immediately.

• cats646
      11:46 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I am definitely with you on the rape thing. I just think people get too worked up over showing a little emotion in football. My coach punched my face mask at least 300 times in school.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

If players get penalized for grabbing a facemask, then it’s not okay for coaches to do so either.

• cats646
      12:38 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

But the difference is when players grab a face mask, they’re pulling and yanking as hard as they can to try to take the runner to the ground or shed a block etc. but when a coach does it he is just getting your attention. It’s not gonna hurt the player for a coach to just grab your face mask. It’s a penalty for the players to do it because it’s an injury risk. Just like targeting. But the coach is not going to injur a player by doing that. Now if he would’ve grabbed him and pulled him to the ground or jerked his head from side to side as hard as he could then I could see him getting in trouble.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Love me some Beck! “I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me…” The lyrics to this song are an example of mind altering substances at work.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:51 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

I know he’s a UofL guy, but I actually like Vanetti and think it’s funny to hear him and Matt going back and forth about UofL/UK.

• Realme
      11:54 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Same.

22. Kernel Sanders
    11:54 am October 1, 2018 Permalink

Question for y’all: I went to the game Saturday and haven’t watched a replay, nor have I seen any media comment on this….on South Carolina’s last meaningful drive at the end of the game (that ended with the end zone interception) what was the deal with all of our injuries on defense? Was it mostly cramping? Granted our offense was not much help in controlling the clock in the 2nd half, but we still had about 10 more minutes of possession and it was 60 degrees. Or was it just a weird string of minor injuries? Or, lol, were we faking injury to rest as the South Carolina fans thought?

• runningunnin.454
      12:02 pm October 1, 2018 Permalink

They were mostly cramps, although Nassir Watkins suffered a minor knee injury…he may miss the A&M game.