KSR Show Thread 10/1: Joey Gatewood, Reds, Ole Miss, Meade Co.

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Lots to get to on today’s show, including the news that Joey Gatewood is eligible, the Reds’ devastating loss to the Braves, Game 1 of the NBA Finals, and Meade County. And, oh yeah, the Ole Miss Rebels are coming to town on Saturday. Remember the days when we had absolutely nothing to talk about?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/1: Joey Gatewood, Reds, Ole Miss, Meade Co.

1. Realme
    10:02 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

“If he gets approved after the Auburn game, then there was a gentlemen’s agreement.” Possible, but not at all certain, and completely unverifiable. But literally thousands of fans accepted that statement as fact, and spent last night on Twitter crowing about how Gatewood’s approval proved the story.
    If there was a gentlemen’s agreement that we would not play Gatewood against Auburn, then he would have been approved before the season, and we would have not put him in the game. The only thing their waiting would possibly prove is that the SEC decided we couldn’t be trusted to abide by a GA.

10:09 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Clearly there were several gentlemen’s agreements and the SEC league office was in on it too, right? 😉

10:12 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Right, the SEC obviously had nothing better to do than moderate GA’s between teams.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Came across this one last night; see if you remember it. Went “all the way” to No. 1; yeah, there’s some double entendre in there, methinks. Cute girl, cute song, Melanie Safka,

11:15 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I stumbled across that video a while back. I hadn’t thought about that song in probably (*cough*cough*) years.

3. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    10:05 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

If I hear “gentlemen’s agreement” one more time I’m going to puke. Those two words have not been uttered 5 times over the past decade and now it’s trending on social media.

10:07 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it was annoying to type it above.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Don’t even believe in GA’s; all’s fair in love, war…and football.

10:13 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

The words don’t bother me. It’s the annoying argument that since it hasn’t been disproved and we don’t have any other explanations, it must be true. The classic “throw poop at the wall and see what sticks” approach.

10:18 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

But really, who even cares? We got our transfer QB eligible. Looking forward to seeing how he is possibly used this season, if at all.

10:20 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yes, that’s the important part, we needed more backup than a true freshman.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

If they can approve a transfer from another SEC school, surely they can approve Sarr’s.

10:29 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Gentlemen are in short supply these days, as evidenced by the presidential debate. 😉

4. Realme
    10:10 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Of course Mr. Boneless “Wings” would order tenders at a hot chicken place.

10:15 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s just about as wrong as the B word “wings.” I refuse to type those words together right now. lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

What is the snowflake babbling about? Sheesh!

10:18 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Words that are hereby banned from the Show Thread:
      Boneless wings
      Gentlemen’s agreement.

10:30 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I do like JoElla’s chicken though…

10:33 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Gentlemens’ agreement to not talk about GA’s or b-word wings. Deal.

10:35 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Nashville hot chicken has got to be one of the most unhealthy things to eat, but I love it occasionally. My favorite, of the ones I have tried, is Hattie B.’s in Nashville. But Joella’s is good, too.

10:40 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I’ve only ever had Joella’s and I didn’t love the sweet aspect. Rather just have spicy chicken.

10:50 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Joella’s seems to be a little more on the sweet side than Hattie B.’s. But I also had it as a catered lunch for work, so I’m sure that was by design.

11:04 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I think Mrs. TT swears by Prince’s, which is the original as I understand it. Has anyone been there? I think that’s where Matt and what’s his name taste tested their nuclear stuff on video a few years ago. I like spicy, but I can’t eat stuff that hot.

11:06 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I like basic spiciness, no interest in anything ghost pepper or anything.

11:25 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I may have said this here before (probably did), but I always like to say I like it Tabasco hot, not habanero hot…and certainly not Dave’s Insanity hot. That’s one of those hot sauces that has like the concentrated capsaicin oil in it.

Okay, I’m wasting too much time, but I have to tell you a story. If you’ve been to Firehouse Subs you’ve seen the 75 hot sauces on the counter. I put 1 drop of Dave’s Insanity on a sandwich once. It’s thick like ketchup so it was a lot for 1 drop. I took a bite of my sandwich and of course it set me on fire. BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE!!! After the pain hit me, I also started getting that capsaicin numb feeling on my tongue. We were there with friends so they were across from us and my wife was to my left. The numbness started at the tip of my tongue, and then it started working it’s way back. It kind of felt like my tongue was swelling too. I literally got scared that I was about to not be able to breath or talk because I thought it would go down my throat, and I turned to my left and was raising my hand to pat my wife on the shoulder. I literally thought she might have to call 911 or rush me to the ER. Before I tapped her shoulder the progression stopped at the back of my tongue (where the taste buds stop I guess).

That made me not want to ever try anything that hot again. I figured 1 drop wouldn’t be that bad. Hah! Joke was on me.

11:28 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Same, Tabasco level is great, go a lot hotter than that, and it’s just a “look how hot I can eat” contest, it doesn’t enhance flavor at some point, it masks it. My husband will try all that stuff, not me. Gotta remember that stuff will punish you after you eat it too. 😛

11:38 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the same day can be tough on your gut, and the next day? Well…

BTW, I knew that sauce would be too hot for me, but again, I was thinking “Eh, just one drop to just try it”. Stupid.

11:42 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of hot sauce, I got caught up in the hype and just had to have some Old Bay hot sauce that came out in very limited supply this past spring. People were selling it for crazy amounts on eBay and whatnot. I finally found some at normal retail price on the company website and got a big 2-pack. It is pretty good, but nothing really special. I should sell the one unopened bottle to some other sucker.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:24 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I really don’t see Gatewood being the starting QB at any point this season. I could see putting him in as a Wildcat, change of pace guy, especially in those goal line situations where we tend to stuggle.

10:25 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Sounds good, but if Terry stays “rusty”, I reserve the right to feel otherwise.

• JTHinton
      10:26 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Ole miss and MSST will put up points … if we can’t score, I could absolutely see us going to Gatewood

In 2018 when we played Mizzou, I think we tried out 2-3 QBs, and that was with Snell and Bowden. We don’t have an explosive player like that anymore!

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yep, JT; no big play makers.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:31 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s something this staff will have to adjust to. We do not have the Bowden or Snell type player that they’re accustomed to having to rely on.

10:31 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

He could definitely see time on the field. I just don’t think Terry gets benched, even though he might start and then get relieved.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:37 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Mike Leach is an offensive genius. It blows my mind he does what he does. He just doesn’t carry himself as someone with the capability to run a Power 5 program. He’s one of my favorite coaches in America.

11:06 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

We also don’t have a guy on D that has shown the ability to take over a game like Josh Allen. Maybe that’ll change.

11:54 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I am really grateful for the way Stoops had brought the program around, but I would LOVE to have Leach as our coach.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:42 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

LeBron is a great player; but, the biggest whiner I’ve ever seen. Hey LeBron, when you sailed the ball out of bounds, it wasn’t the other guy’s fault, or were you arguing the call, ha ha.
    He picked up his first foul with 2 minutes left in the half, and whined and whined. Pearl has a song for him,

10:45 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, without a crowd of distractions, his whineyness is too noticeable. I finally joined team I Hate Lebron.

10:51 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been on that team for years now. It’s the only thing keeping me from cheering for AD and Rondo to win this thing.

10:53 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

10:58 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

AD and Rondo would be enough to make me overlook him, if they weren’t up against Herro and Bam, who are where they are because of extremely hard work, not having been born with AD level talent. Also I’m still mad that after the 2012 season we stood in line and paid 50 bucks to get his autograph on our poster with the rest of the team, and AD was too busy talking to one of his entourage to acknowledge us. Just signed without ever glancing our way. All the others were friendly, but of course Doron was half asleep.

11:02 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Doron was probably stoned. 🙂 And it’s more that I’m cheering FOR Herro and Bam than against the Lakers.

11:04 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Yep. I almost put asleep in quotes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Chris; good video. And BTW, anyone think Cal held Bam back?

11:06 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

To LeBron’s credit, he tweeted about that afterward and seemed to take it in good humor.

11:18 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Realme, back in 2012 my younger daughter was in love with A.D. She begged us to get his autograph, and we got caught in traffic on the way to the mall where he was signing autographs and literally had to do the OJ Simpson sprint through the mall to arrive at the signing table just as they were shutting down. The huge bouncer dude was going to turn us away, saying that they had already closed up, but A.D. took one look at my daughter in all her cuteness and said, “Hey, it’s OK, come on back”. So after that, he is A-OK in my book. 🙂

BTW, I have an absolutely hilarious video of my daughter trying to “wax” her eyebrows with a piece of scotch tape because she was afraid that she was growing a unibrow. She was about 8. I was kind of interviewing her while running the video, asking her what she was doing with the tape. She replied that she was afraid of she was growing a unibrow and that unibrows were weird. I told her that A.D. had one, so they must be cool, but she shrugged that off and said, “If you will excuse me, I have to go wax now.” I still have the video. Ammunition for when she gets out of line. 🙂

11:23 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Aww, that’s adorable. Remember when Matt went through a phase when his eyebrows got really far apart?

11:30 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

She would kill me in my sleep if I ever posted it anywhere. 😀

11:30 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s a great story!

7. Realme
    10:43 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Well, we’re screwed now. “We CANNOT lose Saturday” sounds KSR cursey.

• JTHinton
      10:46 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Not listening at the moment: is this a “we are too good to lose to Ole Miss” or a “we better not lose to Ole Miss”?

Not sure why people are overlooking Ole Miss. They put up 35 on a Florida team projected to contend for an SEC title!

10:48 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I think it was like, if we lose Saturday, the whole season is dead.

10:56 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

It would be a bad start to the season if we do lose Saturday. But I’m not even sure how I would feel about it in this weird season. I don’t think I can get worked up to actually getting mad about football right now. Maybe depressed, though.

11:20 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I honestly could see the scenario where we only win 2 or 3 games this season. There are absolutely no gimme’s . Even vandy is better than expected. It’s the damned SEC after all. We have to have one of the toughest schedules in the country.

11:24 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I just want to do well enough to sustain recruiting. What would that be, 5?

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Toughest schedule in UK history.

11:31 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I say at least 6 and a bowl game win.

11:40 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

cg, unless some major improvements happen after last Saturday, I just don’t see 6 wins. Hope I’m wrong.

11:50 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m not confident enough to even speculate about the number of wins. I didn’t see any aspect of the team that we can really hang our hats on right now.

11:52 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

5 and a bowl win would at least be above .500.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

RG, thanks for that video of Randy Meisner blowing the roof off singing “Take it to the Limit”. Awesome.

When you said YouTube keeps blocking it, here’s why:

The Eagles/Don Henley have 60 people that do nothing but comb YouTube for Eagles videos. The guy in this video is a musician and producer, and he does a series called “What Makes This Song Great”. He plays snippets of the song recordings, talks about them, plays snippets on his instruments. He’s not trying to rip anyone off, and his point is that videos like his give these songs and bands more exposure, and I’m on his side. I understand copyright, but he makes the point that his 22 year old assistant doesn’t know any of these bands, and she never will, and will never buy their music when the Henleys of the world operate like they are.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I honestly don’t know if it’s Henley or the music publishing company that owns the rights. You’re welcome, enjoy it while you can, I figure that video will be taken down, too.
      There may be some jealousy there; the other guys couldn’t hit those notes unless someone kicked them in the nutz.

11:08 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Mickey Thomas could! That guy had some pipes. Check out Jefferson Starship’s live performances on “Fridays” on YouTube.

11:14 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

And I never knew Thomas is from Cairo, GA until recently. A coworker of mine who is a musician on the side used to live there and knew his brother or something.

11:29 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Different genre, but Chris Cornell also had an incredible set of pipes. here he is on Howard Stern’s show doing a cover of Zeppelin’s “Thank You”.

What a shame that we lost him. 🙁

9. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Eleven hits and zero runs; learn to bunt, a 1920’s manager would get the third base runner home. Here’s how you do it,

11:05 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

A guy like Brett Butler could hit .400 for sure in today’s game just by bunting.

11:13 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I already posted this on the Reds game recap article, but the 1990 Reds that won the whole thing and crushed the supposed dynasty known as the Steroid King A’s was good at what you were talking about RG, which is basically playing traditional NL ball (base hits, base stealing, etc.) and not AL ball (home run derby ball). Kudos to Joe Morgan. Before that series started he said the A’s hadn’t faced anyone like the Reds (speed on the base paths, etc.) and he picked the Reds to win. He was the only national media member I remember picking the Reds. What a Nostradamus he turned out to be.

I also can’t forget how good those Reds were at throwing guys out on the base paths. Eric Davis and Paul O’Neil both did it in the post-season.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:17 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Unless something has changed recently, there is no seating in the jail cells at Jailhouse Pizza. Not a bad pizza place, though.

11:25 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha if Matt put it in his book, it has to be true.

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:35 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Shout-out to Matt…Today is National Hair Day!

11:37 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Woo, yay hair! Even Matt’s.

11:38 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Chris Mack is NOT celebrating.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Mack doesn’t even have eyebrows, lol.

11:47 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Mack looks like the poster boy for not leaving the gas running when your gas grill doesn’t light after the first couple of tries.

11:50 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

Mack looks like the dude from the movie “Powder”. He should dress up as a crash test dummy for Halloween. 🙂

11:52 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

My cousin’s husband was one of those dudes who had thick black hair everywhere, and could grow a full beard in about 12 hours. Then he developed alopecia, and literally lost every follicle of hair on his body. One year they went to a Halloween party with him dressed as Mr Clean and her toting a mop and bucket dressed as a cleaning lady.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

The Ohio River is actually pretty shallow, most of it is only about 15-20 feet deep. But it would take an incredible amount of wind to move enough water to see the bottom of it, and I doubt anyone close enough to see it if it happened would be able to survive. Still, an F5 tornado can have wind speeds in excess of 300 MPH. I have seen it documented that it can such asphalt off of roads and absolutely clean a building off its foundation.

11:46 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing about seeing the bed of the river. Sounds like a tall tale. But if somebody could have been in position to see it, I don’t doubt that it happened.

11:47 am October 1, 2020 Permalink

The lady’s story about the photograph being found many miles away doesn’t surprise me. That tornado absolutely devastated Brandenburg. Xenia Ohio was also basically wiped off the map that day.

The girl I was dating at the time lived literally right next door to where the F4 tornado hit Bullitt County in 1995. I remember walking around in the neighborhood, and it was surreal. You would see one house that looked relatively unscathed, and the next one would be leveled. Street signs were doubled over, and the big green electrical transformers were “uprooted”. That’s some serious wind.