KSR Show Thread 1/8: Recapping a Fun Road Win at Georgia

Chet White | UK Athletics

Chet White | UK Athletics

Kentucky opened SEC play on the road by taking down Tom Crean and the Fighting Anthony Edwards’ of Georgia. Matt Jones and the rest of the KSR crew are in the studio to talk about all of the best moments from the win in Athens. There’s so many to talk about, will they be able to hit every topic in two hours? Tune in to find out.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/8: Recapping a Fun Road Win at Georgia

1. Realme
    10:00 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Great win. I’m guessing Antman will have learned his lesson and be all business when they come here in a couple weeks.

Did y’all catch the Marty and Kirby Show? It was like they were trying to out-southern each other. Cringe.

10:10 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that was pretty cringe worthy there. Did they bring Marty along just to interview Kirby Smart? Because he doesn’t really fit in with a basketball broadcast.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:14 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

That’s funny because Matt just had an exchange (friendly) on Twitter a day or 2 ago about whether southerners should lose their accent if they get into broadcasting, and Marty was in on it. He and Matt both said things along the line of I didn’t do it and I’m on ESPN (not in an arrogant way IMO), but I think they’re kind of the exception not the rule. Plus, Marty may be with ESPN in part because they have the SEC Network.

The guy that runs (I think) Nation of Blue said in the exchange he doesn’t go on people’s podcasts and stuff because he’s self-conscious about his accent.

• StillBP
      10:22 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I was wondering who that annoying dude was talking to Kirby. I still don’t know who he is, but I know his name now.

• Realme
      10:22 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I thought Marty sounded super annoying, because it sounded like an affectation. I am guilty of sometimes judging people with strong southern accents, if they also talk really slowly. Just makes them sound stupid, sorry.

10:39 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure Marty was a NASCAR guy previously. Southern accents are fine there.

• Jester
      2:59 pm January 8, 2020 Permalink

To be fair Matt doesn’t really have a southern accent. His is more of an ignorant hick accent.

2. 4everUKBlue
    10:01 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

RG, just checking to see if you’re ok after that go round with the proud former green beret. Great win for the Cats!

• Realme
      10:01 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Oooh, did I miss a good comment section?

10:06 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds hilarious.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:06 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Do tell!

10:11 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Damn, now I feel like I need to go back to check the comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

• 4everUKBlue
      10:14 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s in the halftime comments. Colorado88 questioned RG’s time in the service. Maybe it’s just me but I found it a little annoying.

10:16 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Usually, the ex military guys who were REAL heroes don’t do any bragging about it and rarely question another military member’s service. Classic mark of a poser.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:20 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree RCF!

• Realme
      10:21 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

That guy was awful. Another commenter pretty much summed it up: “He didnโ€™t disrespect you though, just voiced their opinion on your comment lol. You might be a tough guy in the real world but youโ€™re pretty sensitive on the internet.”

• StillBP
      10:25 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

that guy was super obnoxious. I appreciate his service, but not his demeanor last in is comments last night. He just made himself look like a d*ck. rg didn’t say anything to get that bothered by.

• StillBP
      10:26 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

sorry my sentence is jacked up but I think you all know what I was saying

• 4everUKBlue
      10:27 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

He was so bad I didn’t go back to see his response until now. I’m wondering if he’s a video game green beret.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:28 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Loved BP’s response.

10:57 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s not all that often that we get a real internet tough guy on here. That’s actually a nice change of pace from the usual negative “fans” and trolls.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:05 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Hey Dawgs, maybe wait until the game is over to pop your jerseys, especially when your lead was only 6.

10:08 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s moments like that that make me happy that Crean is coaching in the SEC. He’s a rah-rah kind of coach, and his teams reflect that.

10:12 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Look for the halftime score to appear on popcorn boxes in Stegman in the near future.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

^^^This^^^

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:10 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

So, Auburn’s O line coach just “stepped down” (their O line was awful this year). Barry McKnight (the Troy play by play guy) and his co-host rattled off names of supposed candidates for the job this morning. I just knew one was going to be Schlarman, but I breathed a sigh of relief when they did NOT name him (don’t forget he coached at Troy before UK).

You still never know, but shhhhhhhhhhh, no one tell Gus we have the best O line coach in the country. Keep him under the radar!

10:12 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I can’t see Schlarman going anywhere. He has a great job, is well recognized for what he does here, and has plenty of other stuff on his plate off the field.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

And he’s from Kentucky. Isn’t he from Danville, or no?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:16 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I know Neal Brown is.

• Realme
      10:16 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

He’s not in remission yet, is he? I don’t think he’d be on anybody’s list while he’s fighting cancer.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

That’s true. I haven’t heard any update on him in a little while.

10:19 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want to use that as a reason to be assured of not losing our OL coach or anything. But I wouldn’t think anyone would just uproot and have to find a whole new team of doctors in that situation.

• Realme
      10:24 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I say that hoping he is well on the way, of course.

10:25 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Praying that soon we will hear that he is in remission and cancer-free.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

That 3 that Ashton hit at the halftime buzzer was huge. Big momentum swing for our guys going into halftime. And what the hell happened to our FT shooting? Bilas jinx?

10:17 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s almost like that time last year when Herro missed one and he was kind of had a WTF moment on the court. I’m sure they will be fine, but that was out of character for our guys.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

10:23 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

BCG’s FT defense was better, if only it was legal. ๐Ÿ™‚

10:27 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

The BCG blocked FT was one of the most bizarre and hilarious moments in UK history.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Read that article when you get a couple minutes. It’s really interesting.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Nick is definitely more offensively skilled than Nerlens. And his shot blocking is improving. For shot blocking, he needs to focus on keeping some distance from the shooter to prevent the foul being called. And work on the help side shot blocking. Maybe watch some old films of A.D.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone watch the Bilas “94 Feet” with Nick Richards? Bilas asked him who was the better athlete between him and Leah. Nick said he wasn’t touching that one! And later on, Leah tweeted out that she is the better athlete, and her trophy’s get dusted weekly. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Realme
      10:26 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they really talked her up after that too. Do you think GA fans were outraged they used our player for that segment?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:39 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I liked Nick’s response when Bilas said Leah said ask him how long it took him to dust her trophies.

11:34 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I was looking for a replay of it online but couldn’t find it. Guess I’ll have to watch it on DVR tonight. I missed some of it because Daughter #1 was blabbing something at me. (Side note – don’t expect any conversations to be “absorbed” during a UK game.)

8. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Tom Crean has the same hairstyle as the dude on the board game “Operation”. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Realme
      10:27 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

You are so right.

10:36 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Do you think his broken heart can be removed without his nose lighting up and the buzzer going off? lol

• 4everUKBlue
      10:37 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Lol.

10:46 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Someone needs to do a Photoshop with Tom Crean as the Operation dude. They could replace the “bread basket” with a popcorn box!

9. 4everUKBlue
    10:36 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I thought sitting Edwards for that long period backfired on Creap, like he was in a zone and Creap iced him.

10:44 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Made no sense. He wasn’t even in foul trouble, and he didn’t seem to be as effective after that. Thank goodness they have Crean and we don’t! For all the Cal haters, we sure could do worse – case in point!

• CrystalBall
      11:49 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Crean really wanted the UK job when they hired Tubby. Think he was offended he didn’t get an interview, or offer.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Matt saying that his nickname used to be Cherokee Parks made me spit coffee out all over my desk. ๐Ÿ˜€

11. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I have no problem with a few tastefully done tattoos, and have thought about getting one in honor of my dad, but for me, the trend of arm sleeves, neck tattoos, and worst of all, tat’s on the head or face are distracting. When I see someone covered from head to toe, I can’t stop thinking of the carnival side shows and the “tattooed lady”.

• Realme
      10:47 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I try to keep my niece and her boyfriend from doing the face (so far so good), but in general I like them. I only have one because I didn’t have the money then, and I am too old now.

• Jester
      3:03 pm January 8, 2020 Permalink

I agree. Nothing says human trash like these losers with the neck tattoos.

Get one on your shoulder or back or whatever, but good Lord some people have no common sense.

12. J-Dub421
    10:51 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Nick was a game changer last night. Maxey played very well all around. Big Shot Quickley balled out. Ashton played great once he settled in (he was pressing at the beginning). Nate, EJ, and Keion did some good things in spots. It was a good team effort.

As someone on the live blog said, “At least Georgia got to celebrate at halftime.”

10:54 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Nick, I went ahead and joined the Junior Nick Richards Fan Club last night. My membership card is on the way, but hopefully the temporary one I printed off last night will be good for now. He seems to be finally realizing how good he can be.

• Realme
      10:56 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

So who ends up being our 5th go-to guy? Nate, EJ, Keion, Kahlil, Johhny. That’s my order of likelihood.

11:03 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Realme, right now my money would be on Nate, although Brooks and Whitney are more athletically talented.

• StillBP
      11:03 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I’d say Nate if he can stay out of foul trouble. Poor Johnny just can’t find his shot so far this year.

11:15 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I’d have to go with Nate in crunch time. He has enough old man game about him that he just finds a way to get it done. Kind of like Reid last year.

11:24 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I think EJ might have to follow the Junior Nick Richards path. Junior EJ has a good ring to it, and we may need a big man next year.

• CrystalBall
      11:52 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Don’t think is any chance EJ returns next year. Don’t have any idea, except overseas. But he won’t be in Lexington.

13. Realme
    11:15 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Why is Roy throwing his players under the bus for their talent? He recruited them.

11:28 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t hear about that, but the thought of UNCheat missing the tournament is delicious.

14. J-Dub421
    11:21 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Nate, EJ, and Keion already contribute some things, and will continue to get better. Here’s hoping Kahlil and Johnny have a breakthrough.

15. J-Dub421
    11:23 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

As far as Edwards sitting for a while in the second half last night, I thought he was cramping. He looked gassed prior to sitting, and they seemed to be massaging his legs some.

11:26 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Someone posted on the live blog that Crean was massaging Edwards’ calves. Wonder if he got a mouth kiss out of it too?

11:32 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

He was probably exhausted from all that halftime lead celebration.

• StillBP
      12:01 pm January 8, 2020 Permalink

maybe if he wasn’t so big he wouldn’t have cramped. Didn’t see Maxey cramping ๐Ÿ˜‰

16. JTHinton
    11:28 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

Great win last night โ€” for the first time probably ever, UK MBB paralleled Nick Sabanโ€™s daughter. We both showed a lot of grit!

If we assume Hagans, Maxey, Quickley, and Richards are going to be our go-tos, and we assume Sestina stays healthy/out of foul trouble, I really like our team!

11:36 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

I like the way they seem to have gelled since the Louisville game, especially our guards. Need to see how well they sustain it during the long conference drudge.

17. J-Dub421
    11:46 am January 8, 2020 Permalink

This season is going to be wild (ala 2013 or 2014). Anything goes, anyone can win the title. That said, we have as good a shot as anybody. IMHO, Cal is the best coach in the country at preparing his teams for March. Nick has come into his own. Several of our guys will continue to improve and contribute. We’re (usually) a good free throw shooting team. Lastly, everyone says guard play wins in March. Well, I don’t think anyone has a better backcourt than Hagans, Quickley, and Maxey.