KSR Show Thread 1/7: Are you ready for the Bulldogs?

For Kentucky’s first road trip of the season, the Wildcats will take on the fighting Tom Creans in Athens. Will Ashton Hagans be available to play? Matt Jones will share the latest as the rest of the KSR crew discusses what they believe will happen late Tuesday night when these two teams hit the hardwood.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/7: Are you ready for the Bulldogs?

1. Realme
    10:05 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Man, why can’t we have more middle of the week holidays? You telling me I have to work all five days this week? How is that fair?

10:17 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

This is the first Tuesday in the last two weeks that actually feels like a Tuesday to me instead of a weekend day. The struggle is real.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Time for me to remind you of Lynn Anderson’s immortal words, “I Never Promised You A Rose Garden”.
      Sorry!

10:24 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Whatever, retired guy.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:24 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Ahhh, retirement…

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

First day back at school for my girls, and boy were they grumbling about it. 🙂 And out dog Maggie was moping around all morning. She knows that her “humans” are leaving for the day, so she will be bored for 7 hours.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Good things are coming down the road…just don’t stop walking.

10:37 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Show Thread Comment Of The Day. You’ll get your gift card in the mail.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Just don’t ask Realme for it if you run into her at Rupp. Haha.

11:10 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I’ll be forced to shriek at you.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Shrieking women freak me out; I would have to trample people heading for the nearest exit.

11:18 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Ha!

2. StillBP
    10:06 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Junior Nick Richards gonna get another double double!

10:08 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Eeyore refuses to believe Nick is a new player. I don’t know what else he needs to see.

• StillBP
      10:12 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Real, which one? There are a lot of them when it comes to the basketball team.

10:12 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Eeyore might not be completely wrong here. I kind of need to see him play well when we expect him to play well, like PJ Washington did last year. Junior NR is still a pleasant surprise to most everybody.

10:15 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

And it’s not Nick’s fault that people who don’t even know him have expectations for him. I’m glad to see him come out of his shell finally.

10:18 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

BP, Eeyore is one of my co-workers. Thinks it’s a failure to not get a championship every year. I used to have to deal with one I called Bobby Knight (had a yelling fight with him once). He was a pure Cal hater, but thankfully he moved away.

Clutch, he gets more double doubles in a month than he had previously in his career. Will he still disappear when he gets into foul trouble? Yes, but so would pretty much anyone. And he’s never shown 10% of the fight he has now.

10:27 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I’m actually worried less about how he plays with foul trouble (crushed it against UofL) than those days when he just doesn’t show up ready to play. He is definitely trending the right way, though.

• StillBP
      10:30 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Real it sounds like you work with classof68 or mashburnfan1 🙂 JNR averages this year: 12.7pts, 7.5 rebs. Getting close to averaging a double-double. Get off his back, people!!!

• 4everUKBlue
      10:36 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I think mashburnfan1 and class of 68 just love to hate Cal and anything associated with him. Nothing can make either of them happy. There’s also Righteous1 and KYCAPSLOCK4EVER (as Clutch named him).

3. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

LBJ…never to be forgotten. Paul Hornung Award winner, named after Louisville’s own Golden Boy. What is more special than National Most Versatile Player? And yep, I remember when Hornung played for the Packers.

10:21 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

So far I have nothing but joy for him. I have a feeling when next season starts, I am going to be depressed he is gone.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:27 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Did you guys and gals notice the pure joy on his face after throwing the game winning TD? That made me feel so good for him. I can’t remember a UK player in any sport who embraced the fans like him and he has an incredible will to win. Come see about it.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:28 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Just a message for the NFL and the world, cause I wanna know.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t think we could get a pair of players who loved the fans more than Josh and Benny. But maybe we did. Can’t wait for next year to see who steps into the spotlight.

10:34 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

It feels strange to me to even be thinking this, but we’re going to be just fine next season without LBJ. He plugged a huge hole in the roster that won’t exist next season, and got way more exposure than he would have gotten at his normal position(s). I love what he did for us in his time here, but he is making the right move.

10:48 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I agree, we surely won’t need him like we did. I will just be sad he’s not there. Still miss Benny and Josh. Probably part of why Football has been overtaking Basketball for me. I haven’t been so attached to a bball player in a while, and the way the entire team embraces the fan base is more.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

If Jr Nick Richards continues to bring it the rest of the year, he will rank up there for me. And I really like Immanuel Quickly – really good kid, great personality.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Cats rule and dogs drool! I hope it holds true tonight. 🙂

5. J-Dub421
    10:30 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I hope Ashton is okay to go tonight, but if not, then just sit him. Ashton is too valuable to our season to risk him.

LBJ is a legend and I know we’ll miss him next year. I hope he gets drafted high and makes lots of money. I also love that he’s incensed his O-Line didn’t win best offensive line of the year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and if Ashton is not 100%, he won’t be effective; not fair to play him in that situation.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I like Shannon because we are on the same musical vibe. And we both like Mountain Dew. 🙂

7. Realme
    10:35 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

You guys that listen to 1080 on iheart may be missing wall to wall Spanish language commercials for Lowe’s and now Napa. It’s wild. “Napa Know-how” does not have the same ring to it when sung in Spanish.

10:48 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

What station has the Spanish commercials? I’m not dead set on listening to 1080, by any means.

10:53 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

630 WLAP. Pretty much every break. I’ll take it over some of the other options.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

This stream from WHIR in Danville works GREAT for me on Chrome:

None of those flash ads that slow iHeart down, and the news guy says “God bless America!” when the news is done. They also update high schools sports.

10:59 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Okay, WLAP it is.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Did Matt say that Ray Charles died on the same day as Ronald Reagan? As I recall, Mother Theresa died on the same day as Princess Diana, and her death was completely overshadowed by it. I thought that was kind of sad.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I’ll never understand why Anthony Edwards went to UGA. Creepy Crean has another one drop in his lap. Hopefully for Edwards he will not end up with the kind of NBA career that Quasimodo ended up with.

10:42 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Probably the same reason all those West Coast guys go to Washington. It’s a head scratcher, I agree.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Well, Edwards just decided to stay home for college; I wouldn’t say that was a coup for Crean.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Who is Quasimodo? I know he coached Dwyane (or however he spells it) Wade, which brings back bad memories of course with Bogans’ injury costing us that game, at least in part.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Quasimodo = the big tall goofy looking Zeller kid.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Cody Zeller was another kid who stayed home for college.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:42 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

EH, they really don’t know about the JFK thing? JFK fired Charles Cabell, deputy director of the CIA, after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Charles’ brother, Earle, was Dallas mayor in 1963. WHO changed the parade route to swing by that warehouse? There you go.

11. J-Dub421
    10:50 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t Edwards from Georgia? Sounds like he’s a momma’s boy who couldn’t cut the apron strings. Creepy Crean was just the lucky one to benefit from Edwards staying close to home.

10:54 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I can’t imagine looking Crean in the face, and thinking “yeah I want to put my college career in his hands”.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I have no problem with someone wanting to stay close to home. I don’t know his family situation, and he’ll be away from home soon enough in the NBA grind. However, if playing at UGA instead of UK & for Cal puts you further down in the draft, then don’t complain.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Obviously, I personally don’t know Tom Crean – I know Cal is friends with him, and he is widely reported to be basically a good guy. But top tier coach who gets players to the NBA? Nah!

11:07 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I doubt his college choice will affect his draft position at all. But he could have been better prepared to play with and against other talented players every day at a place like UK.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I did have respect for Crean as a TV analyst; but, not so much as a coach. He had his entire IU team from 2012 back in ’13, and should have won the tournament.
      On an earlier thread, BP said something about a Tom Crean bobblehead…you know that would terrify little kids, haha.

11:10 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I am surprised if they are actually still friends, after all the times Crean and the IU admin tried to make it look like Cal was refusing to play them, when it was actually the other way around (Cal was in, for a neutral court).

• StillBP
      12:02 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

lol rg I’m just amused by the thought of a Crean bobblehead so I like to keep saying they’re gonna give them out 🙂 I would not be amused if I actually saw one, I’d be frightened as well!

12. ClutchCargo
    11:18 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never actually been to KSBar, so I have no idea. But Matt and the guys talking about how great the food is doesn’t inspire me to want to go there, just based on their other food likes and dislikes.

11:25 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Trust your instincts. Nah, it’s fine. Weirdly obsessed with using beer cheese as an ingredient in recipes. Applebees quality.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I went with my kids and thought the food was really good. Yeah, it’s bar-fare, not high cuisine, but the chicken sandwich I got was very tasty and the green beans were killer. Again, pretty simple stuff to cook, but it was a lot better than the usual stuff you get at a sports bar – dried out fried chicken tenders that are overcooked, over-battered wings, mediocre fries, etc.

11:33 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Kinda what I was thinking. KSBar is always overflowing out the door when I’m around there on football game days, so we usually end up going down to Jet’s and then getting on the shuttle bus right outside when it’s time to head to the stadium.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

We caught it after a UK Volleyball game, so the crowd was manageable. That probably plays into the quality of the food and the service.

• StillBP
      12:04 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

I agree w Real’s opinion on the food. If you like Applebees you’ll like KSBar food. The environment is definitely better than Applebees, I’ll give them that.

• RealCatsFan
      12:53 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

I thought the meal we had was way better than Applebee’s. Never been a fan of Applebees.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:24 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I saw the Jas Corden thing; McCartney showing up in public unexpectedly in his hometown, and the people were thrilled.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:35 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I was looking at our basketball roster,and a question sprang to mind – are we ever actually going to see Zan Payne on the court? It seems like he has been on the roster recovering from that knee injury for about three years.

11:43 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

A lady called about that yesterday. They said he’s still out with the knee injury, which is a shame because they could use him in practice.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:36 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

The stories about judges over the past year or so have me really questioning everything I ever believed about judges.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

I had to unload a truck, so missed most of what Matt and the boys were talking about. Something about a woman who had an affair with a pastor?

11:39 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

The woman is a judge in N. KY. It gets way weirder than that: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article239006118.html

11:43 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Brace yourself, RCF. It’s nuts.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

Geesh, are we trying to compete with the state of Florida?

• StillBP
      12:05 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

I can’t read it bc the HL wants me to pay to read their articles…f that! I’ll google it and see if I can find the story.

• StillBP
      12:07 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

Did you all see the story yesterday about the Garrad County guy who called the cops out to his house and wanted to be arrested and put in jail for 5 months…bc his girlfriend is in jail for 5 months and he didn’t want her to be stressed. He asked the cop if hitting the cop would land him in jail for 5 months and the cop advised him not to do that…so he pulled out meth and heroin and promptly got arrested!

12:37 pm January 7, 2020 Permalink

BP, just open a new incognito tab in Chrome and you can read it. Or a private mode tab in whatever browser you are using.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am January 7, 2020 Permalink

tonight would be a good time for EJ to find his game. It would also be good for Maxey to switch back to Superman mode.