KSR Show Thread 1/6: Recapping Mizzou and looking ahead to Georgia

Welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s win over Missouri on Saturday, which included big performances from Nick Richards and Immanuel Quickley, and look ahead to tomorrow’s game at Georgia. Tune in for that and a recap of the weekend’s events (Go Titans!).

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

66 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/6: Recapping Mizzou and looking ahead to Georgia

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:00 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Well, Nick seems to be becoming the guy we were told he could be, and IQ is looking awesome as well. Hopefully the guys can carry the load without Ashton for a game because I doubt we see him against UGA.

BTW, back to football for just a second. How about that hug between Stoops & Lynn at the end of the bowl game? It looked like Lynn was choked up. Awesome moment.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:01 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and #IAmNotADoctor

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I watched the clip several times, and I didn’t really see Ashton roll his ankle.

• Realme
      10:10 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

There were SO many doctors, especially ones that also do UK media, on my timeline Saturday. Thank God they were ALL wrong after being certain Ashton tore his achilles.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I only based it on Cal probably wanting to make sure he doesn’t re-injure anything, but #IAmNotTheAmazingKreskin

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I missed all the online speculation, but I don’t see how anyone could assume that he tore his Achilles by what was shown on tv. If jumping to conclusions was an Olympic sport, we would have some gold medal contenders in our fan base.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m not on Twitter much so I didn’t see that, but there were at least 2 or 3 folks talking like that on the comments here.

• Realme
      10:18 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, Chris, I’d be surprised if he plays right away. Clutch, I couldn’t watch the game live, and already knew the good news before going back to read what people had said during the game. I think every media member I have ever heard of was explaining how that didn’t look like it could POSSIBLY be any other problem. It was absurd.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Cal was visibly upset on the TV post game; and, he let the “S” word slip. And, I hate when people say “excuse my French”. Ha Ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Probably should have been asking us to excuse his German for that one.

2. J-Dub421
    10:11 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Y’all, this is the Nick Richards I’ve been waiting for for 2+ years. I knew it was in there. Junior Nick Richards has been glorious and worth the wait.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Cuonzo said he was “happy” for Nick…did I see his nose grow longer?

• Realme
      10:20 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

He is so good now. I’m not even expecting him to revert anymore! Happy for / proud of him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Nick has been a different player the past two games. Looks confident and can I say it? He is playing with AGGRESSION! And he even did an acrobatic barrel roll that looks like what we teach our volleyball liberos to do when they dig a ball. Surely Leah taught him that move!

• ClutchCargo
      10:24 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

He’s showing signs of becoming that guy who can just grab any pass thrown in the area of the backboard and dunk on people. We have been missing that for a few years now.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I wanted that dunk to go down for Whitney. Yeah, I always want to see us win so it’s partly selfish, but I love to see the light bulb turn on for a guy just for him personally and for his confidence.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I DON’T WANNA LOSE TO TOM CREAN!!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:26 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I hate it when we lose anytime, but it frosts me that so many of these teams can’t fill their gyms normally, but when we come to town they’re hanging from the rafters. Although, it’s also fun because they know who the big dog (not Dawg) in SEC bball is.

• Realme
      10:26 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I always forget about that! I hope he is as nutso as ever on the sidelines.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

At IU, with the spectators down on the floor, Crean was always out on the floor…I saw players and refs have to walk around him…SEC refs have to “T” him up.

4. JTHinton
    10:25 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Armchair doctors were in full force this weekend; glad AH is okay.

A bit worried abt the Georgia game β€” road game, late tip, they’ll be in full force. They looked good at Memphis State on Saturday.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

No classes this morning? πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Maybe coming off a big win will give them a let down.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

RE: Making black coffee taste better. Um, brandy? (She’s a fine girl… πŸ™‚ )

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Black coffee tastes the way it tastes. Drinking it that way makes you appreciate good quality beans.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Her eyes could steal a sailor from the sea.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Dooo do dooo doo, dooo do doo doo…

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

rg, did Looking Glass have any other hits beside that one?

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Only one I can think of…maybe, “Jimmy Loves Mary Ann”; not as big, though.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:30 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

When are the guys going to learn that celebrity “fans” are usually not actual die-hard fans? They are going to jump on whatever band wagon gets them the most attention.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:40 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I have watched the 4th quarter of the Belk Bowl multiple times. Never gets old!

• Realme
      10:42 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Watched whole game twice, will definitely re-watch 4th quarter a few times too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I have played the 4th quarter back for both daughters. They were amazed that we won. Also got to savor the Louisville win a few more times. πŸ™‚

8. Realme
    10:42 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Matt is having a crisis over what to drink in the mornings. Poor fella.

9. Realme
    10:46 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

How would giving up a home game be for the fans? I want home games, and I want non conference games they will win. Do Bama and Clemson play tough non conference games? Of course not!

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I must have missed that. Are we talking football? The more home games, the better.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Hard to schedule games couple of years in advance. We played #1, #3, and #5. Isn’t that tough enough? AND, Utah took #4 Oregon into the last minute…even though Utah lost big to SDSU, that loss doesn’t look so bad. BTW, SDSU is very good.

• Realme
      10:57 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I thought Madison was asking about football. Never mind if he was talking about basketball.

10. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Unless Epstein was about to rat on his fellow scumbags and was killed to keep him quiet, I don’t really care if he was murdered in prison or not.

• Realme
      10:59 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I wish he had been forced to stand trial and serve time, but also that some other scumbags had been taken down. How in the world is his lady partner not in prison as we speak?

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Anyone who was remotely involved with human traficking, especially if it involves minors, needs to be expose and dealt with (preferably with their jewels removed, IMO). So I would have loved to have seen Epstein go on trial and spill the beans on who else was involved. I’m not normally a big conspiracy guy, but this one seems way too fishy to not have someone with some influence behind it all. Someone didn’t want him to live.

• Realme
      11:34 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Agree. IDK if he did it himself or someone did it for him, but the whole scenario was deliberately set up.

• 4everUKBlue
      4:45 pm January 6, 2020 Permalink

The Clintons come to mind, also he and Trump were close friends. The elite are a bunch of pedophiles, that includes both parties and the royal family.

11. J-Dub421
    11:06 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

The FBI wants to question his lady partner, and some other associates. I think he killed himself. I just think he paid some people off for the opportunity.

12. J-Dub421
    11:13 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Rhyne Howard is a beast. She’s one of the best players in the country.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely, she is a special player; thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday.

• Realme
      11:32 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I can’t get Youtube to dvr them for me. So the other day I saw they were going to be on the SECN, so I was like finally I can get their games programmed to record. Nope. The broadcast called itself SEC whiparound, whatever the bleep that means. For mens bball and football you just search the team and press a plus sign, and the whole season will be recorded. So I am missing all of her genius by not being able to watch live. So mad.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

SEC network is a mess when it comes to trying to record anything but football and men’s basketball on their normal days.

• StillBP
      11:45 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Women’s basketball hasn’t gotten a lot of tv time this season. Hopefully that is changing now that NFL is almost over and NCAA fb is done. Glad the game was on SEC network yesterday, otherwise I have to watch it on the ESPN app on my phone.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:14 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad to see Matt says VT had a SHOT at scoring on that final play. When he first talked about it, it seemed he thought it was almost certain they would score if Echols didn’t make the tackle. I agree, they had a shot, and a solid one, but it wasn’t 99% certain as some on Twitter were saying IMO.

My thing is that the pass would have been more of a lob than a dart to the other sideline because of the helter skelter nature of what was going on, and some UK players were already turning that way when they saw the QB turn that way to throw, so they still might have made that tackle. Thankfully, Echols made sure VT will never know and that we didn’t have to find out.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Don’t agree they had much of a shot; we had three defenders between the VT QB, and his man. The guy would have to come back, and it would have to be a high lob, as you said, and we would have been all over the guy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

It would have been a forward pass (IIRC) to any of those open guys across the field. I was much more scared of that scoop and score until Wright made it to the end zone. I’m just glad we didn’t end up in the wrong kind of highlight play that day.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Peter Burns may be the most unfortunate name since Dick Trickle.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, kinda sounds like an unfortunate injury. Or a symptom of some STD.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the refs will beat you at Kana$$. Bama had the Gators beat at Florida, and the refs came through for Florida; we’ll take an L there.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

You’re right. And I’m sick and tired of that being accepted as a part of college basketball. Love the NBA or hate it, the players and coaches decide those games.

16. J-Dub421
    11:28 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Peter Burns? I think there’s a cream for that…

17. Realme
    11:28 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Why is Matt so stupid about everyday life?

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m almost to the point where I think it’s an act. Almost.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

“K cups”? Is that like D cups? Those are the biggest, you know… (Seinfeld reference of the day)

19. ClutchCargo
    11:33 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

This ST sure has taken a turn for the worse. lol

20. Realme
    11:39 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

Gervais’s opening monologue was very worth watching. A rare chance to see Hollywood put in its’ place and it was beautiful. Especially because it was at an event where they all tend to pat each other on the back, preach condescendingly at the rest of us, and think about how superior they are. I seriously don’t understand why anyone watches award shows.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

I avoid those shows like the plague, but I did catch the tail end of the one last night. I’m a Gervais fan just based on what I saw in those few minutes. He says what a lot of viewers think, and I love that.

• RealCatsFan
      1:04 pm January 6, 2020 Permalink

Just read the transcript of his monologue and all I can say is WOW! Wish he could do one for our “representatives” in Washington.

21. Realme
    11:42 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

JT makes me happy.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am January 6, 2020 Permalink

TBH, I never saw enough out of EJ last year to get real excited about him coming back. Now Tyler Herro coming back? That would get me excited!