KSR Show Thread 1/31: LIVE from Des Moines

This morning, KSR is live from Des Moines at the Downtown Marriott to break down all the craziness from their trip to Iowa and the latest in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

83 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/31: LIVE from Des Moines

1. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

BURN Auburn!

10:09 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Look for me at Gameday in the morning!

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Tell Jay he’s a pompous, smug know-it-all for me.

• Realme
      10:12 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Have fun!

10:16 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Haha RG. I’ll yell “Coach K you stink!” at him.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha, and no more ice cream for you.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure if my comment the other day about dressing up as the Soup N*a*z*i got through because of that word. But show up like that and bring a giant ice cream cone cardboard cutout for Jay.

10:30 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Cool old story bro (Ha! JK). Yeah, I saw it, but I don’t have one of those fancy chef jackets.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Touche, cg. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Get yourself a windbreaker that says FBI on it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

And put a red, blinking beacon on your hat so we can spot you. ๐Ÿ™‚

10:57 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m currently debating whether to take a mild good-natured swipe at Pearl on my sign.

Yeah, I need a blinking light or something probably. I heard this morning that some students will camp out tonight. What do they think this is? Big Blue Madness???

• 4everUKBlue
      11:06 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Will you be the redhead wearing UK blue CG?

11:12 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

No red hair. I will prolly wear my Power K hat. Blue with a white K. I definitely will have on the “8” shirt in my Gravatar.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:09 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I have a secret. Shhh!!!

Download the NEW Microsoft Edge for Windows, and follow the instructions in the video and select “Strict”. KSR/the comment section works GREAT!!!

10:10 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

10:11 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

No need for an ad blocker. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Realme
      10:16 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Thanks will try sometime.

10:17 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Oops. Let me qualify that. I do have an ad blocker installed. I didn’t realize it had ported over from the old MS Edge browser.

10:19 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Arg!!! I see now that ad blocker is actually disabled, so yes, for now, the new Edge requires no ad blocker to have a lovely Show Thread experience if you follow the instructions!

Okay, I’ll quit now. Ugh.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

You know, I downloaded the adblocker browser just for this site, but I had to quit blocking ads to see the comments section. So far, so good.

10:29 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Okay, just one more. The new Edge is REALLY fast. This article sold me and the writer is right:

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Kind of ironic that Business Insider won’t let me see the article until I turn off my ad blocker. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I guess, as business insiders, they want to maximize that ad revenue.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:17 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Good win for the Hoops team last night without Rhyne. I saw the score of the S Car vs Ole Miss Womens’ game, and S Car was on top of them 32-2…might need a mercy rule in Womens’ basketball.

• StillBP
      10:23 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Dang 87-32 was the final score. snooze fest!

• StillBP
      10:25 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Luckily the next 2 games are winnable without her. After that, we definitely need her! Not saying we will win the next 2 for sure bc you never know, but we’ve FL and Bama aren’t as good as some of the other SEC teams so they’re winnable.

10:31 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen NAIA schools play D1 schools tougher than that on the men’s side.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Does UK get an opportunity for a counter offer? We want Big Dog here.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I feel guilty, but I selfishly REALLY want him to stay at UK. We have to keep the nucleus of this staff together as long as possible. I know the top teams have some turnover every year, and they just keep on rolling along, but we’re not in that kind of position just yet.

• Realme
      10:38 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Same.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Throw the Big Dog a big, juicy bone.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:08 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

If you saw the piece about how much UK makes just by being in the SEC not counting the bowl win, we have plenty O’ cash for the Big Dawg.

5. J-Dub421
    10:32 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

We’ll be able to counter-offer for Vince, and we have waaaaayyyyyyyy more money than Youngstown State does. I’m pretty sure what we currently pay Vince blows any offer Youngstown State could make already, and we’ll throw more money at him to keep him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Not only can we pay him more, we are highly motivated to do so if necessary. In Stoops I trust, and I don’t think Mitch is going to want to risk slowing the roll of the football program.

• StillBP
      10:45 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

so perhaps it comes down to…is this about money or a dream of being a head coach? Sometimes people take pay cuts to fulfill a dream, perhaps thinking once he is successful the money will come and more higher paying coaching jobs will come.

10:48 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I hope you’re right Clutch. Somebody was dissing the player who may not come if Vince leaves because he felt the player was too tied to a coach. I said (some poor syntax/grammar for sure) “I remember Vince tweeting to a player or mentioning to a reporter that the player was like a son to him. I think it was someone who was transferring, but Iโ€™m not sure. We constantly hear how much these guys love Marrow, so this does not surprise me. That dynamic is a boon for UK recruiting, and more importantly, could it be that the reason they love Vince so much is because many of them donโ€™t have fathers at home and he shows them GENUINE love as a person/father-figure and not just as a football player?”

6. J-Dub421
    10:33 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

*blows away. I left out a word and it’s…. interesting….

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

We’re not U-6. lol

• StillBP
      10:46 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

haha I didn’t even notice

7. Realme
    10:39 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Do you think Stoops is trying hard to keep him, or unselfishly trying to help his close friend move up in the world?

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure that’s moving up; I think if he sticks with UK a little longer, he could do better. Of course, there’s the hometown thing; but, Thomas Wolfe said, “You Can’t Go Home Again”…I think there’s some wisdom there.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:43 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

This is totally off subject, but it’s one of the weirdest, but also kind of humorous, stories I’ve read in a while:
    “Go Inside the Quirky โ€œMicronationโ€ of Molossia”

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

cg, you need to travel to Molossia and take a selfie repping the BBN in your UK gear. ๐Ÿ™‚

12:01 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’ll stage a coup just for his uniform! lol

Or maybe I could set up a puppet government like Mortie Seinfeld did at Del Boca Vista.

9. spincr4hire
    10:43 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Ryan has horrible taste in music

• StillBP
      10:46 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

so does Matt

10:54 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I think Darius Rucker is a cool guy, and his song “It Won’t Be Like This For Long” is a tear-jerker for a girl-dad, but I don’t get Ryan’s obsession with Hootie & the Blowfish. I think they’re just okay, but to each his own. Some people don’t get me having ELO as my favorite band back in the day I guess.

Some ABSOLUTELY don’t get my obsession with all things Celtic music! My favorite singer is Connie Dover, and I have yet to meet one person who knows who she is who wasn’t already into Celtic music.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

ELO has some solid choice cuts. My younger kid has loved “Mr Blue Sky” ever since she was little. I have several of their albums on vinyl. Jeff Lynne is a legend, and a musical genius.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Love Celtic music; but, is it Keltic? Boston Keltics?

11:05 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

It is definitely the “K” sound, which is weird because you also have the soccer team known as the Glasgow Celtic with the “S” sound. I don’t know who decides or how or when it’s “S” and when it’s “K”. I suppose the Google/Wikipedia machine would have the answer.

11:10 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Connie Dover sings like an angel BTW. She’s actually from Missouri, but did some studying in England (Cambridge I think). She spent a lot of time in the library copying down poems and lyrics from very old dusty books, and some she put to music herself. She also has worked as a trail cook in Wyoming, and has studied the history of Celtic songs that made their way onto the plains and sometimes morphed into cowboy songs. One of her CD’s “The Border of Heaven” is entirely songs like that. She’s a very interesting lady, and I’ve seen her perform twice. I need to go again.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Damn CG, just reading the lyrics to that Darius Rucker song is making the room get dusty.

• runningunnin.454
      11:40 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I have Dover’s The Border of Heaven album. One of the songs is a Scottish song from the 1600’s, “Water Is Wide”. Sarah McLachlan and Joan Baez also recorded it.

11:47 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Comment moderated. *sigh*

Maybe just this gets through: do you listen to “Thistle & Shamrock” on NPR? That was my intro to Connie & Celtic in general (I was already interested before I found them having Irish heritage and having been to Scotland on mission trips).

11:48 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Help a brother out Jack!!! Pleeeeeease??? ๐Ÿ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the name comes from the National symbols of Scotland and Ireland.

11:51 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Wow, a kindred Celtic spirit!!! (celebration emoji!!!)

11:51 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes, โ€œWater is Wideโ€ is great. I think Connie could have been an opera singer.

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Aye.

11:53 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I think modbot didn’t like me linking to the “Thistle & Shamrock” site. I have to listen on the web because the NPR stations here don’t carry it any more. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Alabama Public Radio & WTSU!!! (WTSU is because Troy used to be Troy State)

11:56 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Do yourself a favor and buy the rest of her CD’s The best one IMO is “If Ever I Return”. Absolutely beautiful. Connie is a very nice person too. However, her version of “Somebody” and “Shenandoah” on the “Somebody” CD? Mesmerizing.

11:57 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

11:58 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

^^^Go here and find 3 recordings of the band Connie was in before she went solo. The band was called Scartaglen.

11:58 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I sent her the links and she loved it.

10. spincr4hire
    10:48 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

IQs father sounds like a blast. Poor kid.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I completely missed it because of a phone call. Fill me in.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

But I will say that IQ is a helluva young man, so somebody had a positive influence in his life if it wasn’t his dad.

• Realme
      11:11 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

They said Kyle Tucker has an article about Quickley’s faith, and mentioned they are Pentecostal and the Dad is very devout, didn’t want him to play basketball. Haven’t read the article, but I’m sure the guys hit the highlights there.

• Realme
      11:13 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

It is very noticable that it is the women in his family who support his bball career. I thought there might not be a dad in the picture, because it’s always the ladies being featured about him.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s funny that now my kids know the John Short term “BigUn”, because that is what we nicknamed our dog, because she is big. So now whenever I heat JS picking how many BigUn’s we will win by, I can’t help but think of our dog and laugh about it. That is all. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Anonymous
    10:58 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I think, doesn’t mean a thing, he will take the job. Not sure why i think that. Hope he makes the right decision for him.

13. J-Dub421
    11:04 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Agreed Spin. IQ plays basketball, he’s not out dealing drugs or something. IQ is a good kid. How do you not love your son enough to support a very normal passion like basketball?

• spincr4hire
      11:46 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Jesus over everything else I guess. Seems lame though

14. J-Dub421
    11:06 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

RCF, IQ’s dad is apparently a hardcore Pentecostal preacher who didn’t want him to play basketball and has never gone to see his son play. Apparently his dad watched him play for the first time on TV last year.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Gotcha. Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I’ll have to find the article and read it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

But doesn’t IQ’s Mother, Grandmother, and Aunt support him at the games? I think I read that somewhere.

11:13 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes they do and they’re very vocal. I’m sure his dad just didn’t want him to fall into stuff that a lot of athletes fall in to, but you would think at this point he would watch his games and be there when he can.

• Realme
      11:14 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Ooops, I answered up there before scrolling this far.

15. J-Dub421
    11:13 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

It was by Kyle Tucker on the Athletic.

16. J-Dub421
    11:37 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Just waiting for Brent Mussberger to creepily fawn over a woman who’s young enough to be his granddaughter again.

• RealCatsFan