KSR Show Thread 1/31: It’s still Cold

But it will not be cold for long if you cozy up next to a bowl of Chili Gillispie and enjoy a new edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Β Matt and the crew will talk about the Cats, the Rand Paul verdict and much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

74 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/31: It’s still Cold

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

$580,000…lot of mulch.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:01 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

How mulch is it?

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Too mulch.

• Realme
      10:13 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Quality content like this is why I love the show thread so mulch.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:14 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

We’re here for you Realme.

• StillBP
      10:18 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I agree, thank you very mulch, Iam and RG

10:21 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

That’s a lot of money to chip in.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry, but if Rand Paul had played college basketball he would have undoubtedly been a dookie. Yeah, I know the other dude was in the wrong and broken ribs are painful, but does anyone else feel like there was a little bit of drama here as well?

• Realme
      10:30 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

What, RCF, normal people don’t use the phrase “pain of a thousand knives” to describe how they feel? Yeah, he has been silly.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Wonder if Rand intentionally ripped off the expression from “death of a thousand cuts”, or Lingchi, an old Chinese and Vietnamese method of execution.

10:42 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Rand should have stopped being a passive aggressive jerk and just trimmed his trees in the first place. I say this because the lady behind me never trims her trees, and I don’t have any trees (small private back patio area, but no yard) and I still have to constantly pick up leaves and sticks and tree debris even though I don’t have a tree. I’ve trimmed the lower hanging branches myself, but will have to hire a professional to get the tall ones, which are now almost scraping the back of my house and brand new roof. Her trees block out the sun to my patio and I like to grow tomatoes and vegetables in the summer, plus they tear up my privacy fence. If you aren’t going to take care of/maintain your trees, don’t have them. End rant.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Now, JD, remember…don’t lead with the helmet.

11:04 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m not mean enough to tackle an old lady. I just complain and spend way too much time dealing with trees that aren’t mine.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:07 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

This Thursday feels just like a Monday to me. Two cups of coffee didn’t even put a dent in the fog I’m in today. Wish I had a teammate to tell me to “wake the F up!”

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Wake the F up!

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Thanks, buddy! That might just do it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

• ClutchCargo
      10:24 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I have risen, but I flat refuse to shine.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Shining is overrated. Movie was pretty good, though.

• ClutchCargo
      1:44 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

Fun Fact: the actor who played little Danny Torrance in that movie is now a biology professor at Elizabethtown Community and Technical College. He gave up on acting not long after that movie and took a different path in life.

3. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:18 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like Matt was not paying attention during the game, these are all things I realized during the game.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

This is why I don’t try to multitask while watching games.

10:25 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

As I said yesterday, we went 10-17 from the three, shot 74% at the free throw line, and smothered them on defense. Vandy only had 15 points at the half.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:27 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Matt obviously did not read your comment J-Dub. He was probably working not the next fast food tournament bracket.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Regarding the team’s defensive improvements: Haven’t we seen this movie before? A lot of Cal’s teams struggle on defense early in the season, mainly because most of these freshmen have never been taught proper team or even individual defense by their AAU coaches, and to a lesser extent, their HS coaches. And I would venture that a highly rated recruit is probably going to be resistant to listening to a crusty old-school high school basketball coach preaching staying in front of your man and closing on shooters, keeping your hands up, etc. It’s only when they are exposed to a coach who demands it like Cal that reality sets in, and that takes a while. That is why I never get too worried if our defense is not very good in December and even early January. It’s also why I tend to want to tell the habitual trolls and bandwagon fans to stuff it up their arse sideways. πŸ™‚

10:28 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Most of our guys are also used to being the best and most athletic player on the floor every game. Then they come to UK and now everyone is a as good as they are, and they can’t rely on their superior athleticism anymore. Most Power 5 teams are like that. The talent pool has narrowed considerably.

• StillBP
      10:29 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

yes, we’ve seen it over and over. Remember how after the Seton Hall loss even the writers on KSR were posting that they were tired of being so “bad” in Nov even if it means we are good in March? I remember. Mr Pilgram was one of them.

• Realme
      10:38 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Talked to a co-worker yesterday (not one of the usual negative suspects) that STILL can’t be happy. “Took them long enough”.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I hated losing to dook the way we did, but I think history will show that they were already at their ceiling at that point of the season, and UK had a ton of room to grow. Our 2015 team was a little like dook in this way, albeit much deeper. They were pretty much already at their ceiling at the start of the season, and as time wore on, it was really tough for them to sustain that level as other teams improved.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I still think 2015 would have been different if we had not lost Poythress. He was the defensive glue of the team.

10:57 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Wisconsin was the one team we really needed Poythress against. Alex could guard Dekker, but Dekker couldn’t guard Alex. We still should have won if we hadn’t had a bad shooting night, but with Alex we would have won anyway. I am positive of this.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of Wisconsin… what if the crushing loss this year was the very first game instead of in the Final 4? I’ll gladly take that!

11:13 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

That would be nice CC. That loss is why I now love cramming it in Wisconsin’s face that we stole Tyler Herro from them.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Has IU become the coaching black hole of college basketball? Maybe the proper term would be the coaching Bermuda Triangle… Woof.

• secrick
      10:40 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Langford might have something to do with it this year.

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

secrick, bad attitude? Not a team player? I haven’t really heard this about the kid, but I guess it’s possible.

10:58 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Cal stopped recruiting Langford for a reason. He’s another Trey Young type player who thinks he’s better than he is and wants to shoot it 30X per game.

6. secrick
    10:41 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I wonder if this team would still be this good if Green was still on the team. We will never know.

• Realme
      10:49 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Would have to be an awfully big coincidence that we got way better right after he left. I think letting Ashton take charge of the back court was an obvious benefit, and I wonder if the chemistry isn’t better over all. Best wishes to Quade though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I loved Quade, and I was worried about our depth when he left, but we did seem to step on the gas and refocus after he left.

11:00 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

It probably helped Ashton’s development because he got more minutes, but there have been a few times we could have used his shooting. Also, Quade was really good at throwing entry passes into the post, which is something we still struggle with.

• rickwhitetx
      1:01 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m jealous of Penny. I mean, Memphis could pay me half as much as they’re paying him and I could lose to Tulsa too.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

So what do you guys predict for Penny to last at Mempiss? I predict 3 years and then the fans and brass will wake up and realize that he is a poser as a head college BB coach. But apparently all the other college coaches are jealous of him: https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/01/30/hardaway-jealousy-from-other-college-coaches-over-his-memphis-staffs-nba-background/

8. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Someone needs to come out with a version of Lucky Charms with double the amount of marshmallows.

• StillBP
      10:53 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I don’t typically buy cereal but I had a craving the other day and I bought chocolate Lucky Charms. Good stuff.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I was the weird kid who ate Freakies in grade school. There. I confessed to it. πŸ™‚

• StillBP
      11:00 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

what are Freakies?

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, they were made by Purina, so…dog chow.

• StillBP
      11:21 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m so confused. Real ate dog chow? Or were they people treats made by a dog food company?

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, different division of Ralston-Purina. It was a sugary breakfast cereal.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, I’m a child of the 70’s, BP. Wow, looks like I should have saved a few of the old boxes!

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

My older brother had to make a home move for a film study class in high school. In the opening scene the hero of his movie climbs out of a dumpster, grabs a table and chair from inside of it, and sits down to a bowl of Freakies – which magically transforms him into his alter-ego, the superhero “Purple Haze”. (My bro was into Hendrix πŸ™‚ )

• StillBP
      11:39 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Learned about something new today. I was in high school and then college in the 90s and never heard of these things. Not sure how I missed it, other than I probably didn’t go to the grocery much then.

• StillBP
      11:44 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

oh you said 70s not 90s…my bad! I was born in 76.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:57 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

As late as a week or so ago, a bracket guy had the Hoosiers in the NCAA tourny. They had already lost 5 in a row, and I wondered what he was thinking. So, I watched their last two games…total waste of time.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

The honeymoon is rapidly coming to a close for Miller.

11:11 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t this Miller’s first season?

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

2nd?

10. J-Dub421
    11:15 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky, where we throw a 2 week party for a 2 minute horse race. πŸ™‚

11. J-Dub421
    11:35 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

Matt attempting French is terrible.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:44 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

How do none of these guys know what a nit is? smh

11:51 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

They don’t have kids and don’t get the lice hand-outs from schools every year.

• StillBP
      12:22 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure I know what it is. Actually…I don’t know what it is. Second thing on the thread today I haven’t heard of.

12:33 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

A nit is the egg or larval form of lice.

• StillBP
      12:37 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

Ew! Learned two things today…Freakies and nit. I don’t know much about lice, thankfully.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am January 31, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, that last caller just gave us the blueprint on how to keep Matt from talking over you. Just keep on saying “…and another thing…”

12:00 pm January 31, 2019 Permalink

I dig it. He had his topics and just rolled through them. The people who hem and haw and can’t just spit it out get on my nerves. KY Joe clearing his throat 100 times and not getting to the point is torture.