KSR Show Thread 1/30: That was fun

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Something tells me you’ll need a few extra cups of coffee after last night’s total domination of Vanderbilt, so fill it up and settle in to hear Matt, Ryan, Shannon, and Drew break down all the fun.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

114 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/30: That was fun

1. Realme
    9:59 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

They are really getting my hopes up for the post season. Best I’ve felt since 2015.

10:01 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Definitely made staying up for a “late” game fun! I admit that I went to bed with 10 mins left in the 2nd half. I knew we had it put away, and I have it on dvr if I really want to see the last 10.

• cats646
      10:03 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Right there with ya realme!!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:04 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It was good to see the team having that much fun, it was also good for me.

10:05 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Definitely, Realme. I feel like I’m beginning to trust this team to take care of business.

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We’re still 3rd in the SEC; that ought to calm you people down…ha ha ha, JK, JK.

10:16 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We took Vandy to the woodshed last night.

10:17 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

And didn’t even get CPS called on us. πŸ˜‰

10:24 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

that was definitely more than a ruler to the wrist.

10:24 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

oops, *worse than a ruler to the wrist

10:32 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s Cal is a good coach and is good at developing talent and getting his guys to play together.

• BluKudzu
      1:04 pm January 30, 2019 Permalink

Agree it was a fun game, but this is a team that is likely to go 0 for the SEC schedule, and only win 9 games, total. The Tennessee news posts even called the team a clown show.

We have a very good team, and I am enjoying the heck out of this season, but, let’s just keep everything in perspective, regarding this win.

It was awesome to see the players have so much fun.

1:39 pm January 30, 2019 Permalink

The key takeaway here is that they did their jobs and didn’t play down to the competition. Being able to maintain focus and beat the hell out of someone is a breakthrough, even if it was Vandy.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

What’s this about cancelling classes at UK? Never cancelled classes when I was trudging through snow past my knees.
    One professor told me UK had never called off classes due to weather…he was about 95, so I believed him.
    Snowflakes.

• Realme
      10:03 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I thought I’d at least get a delay out of my work, but nothing.

10:08 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

They canceled classes once when I was in school in the late 80’s. There was about 1/2′ of ice on everything, and nobody could walk on the sidewalks. I know I fell and “busted my butt bone” like Ashton twice attempting it before they officially called it off.

10:11 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Well, the mod bot didn’t like that I said something about falling on icy sidewalks at UK one morning and “busting my tail bone” like Ashton, before they called off classes that day.

• Realme
      10:13 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

They cancelled for snow at least once when I was there.

Clutch, the mod bot is no problem when Tyler is around.

10:18 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

UK cancelled classes in 1998 when we got about 20 inches of snow overnight.

10:25 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I knew I wouldn’t get a delay out of work once the Governor called KY schools soft for calling off school due to temps! (State employee here)

10:28 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

The only other time I remember classes being canceled was because of a sniper in ’86.

• Realme
      10:29 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Stupid Bevin. We’re under the state in some aspects and LFUCG in others. Downtown is half empty, somebody got the day off.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:31 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

About what I expect from a Gov who is not from KY.

10:34 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m off today. If the Courts are closed, my office is closed. And Jefferson County Courts are closed.

10:34 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t have to drive in Lex much because I’m close to the interstate but the roads in Frankfort were awful this morning. I slid around a few times even driving slow and cautiously. But I am here and hopefully they will be better for the drive home.

3. Tight games like the one against Auburn are fun, but not good for my heart. Last night was fun, and I didn’t have to consult my cardiologist.

4. Realme
    10:04 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

So was that the “complete game” people have been waiting for?

• cats646
      10:09 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t until Nick Richards got those monster JAMS at the end. I just loved the joy on everyone’s face when he did that!! It was great!

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

NIce passes by EJ.

10:16 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Yes, it was. I’m really liking the focus I see from PJ right now. He is finally learning to grind and be there for his team.

10:19 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s such a shame our team is so shy and has no personality….

• Exactly RG. I loved that EJ was smiling also after dishing those assists even though he wasn’t scoring.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:22 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Bunch of introverts!

10:23 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

That’s because they only care about the NBA and not about the name on the front of their jerseys!!!!11!

• Realme
      10:25 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

And Cal! Just keeps rolling the ball out and only caring about getting guys to the NBA.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:27 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Cal can’t coach! Far him!

10:28 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

yeah but Cal still can’t coach. The improvement they have shown has zero to do with Cal coaching πŸ˜‰ haha

10:29 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

oops Iam beat me!

10:29 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

and basically Real beat me too. I guess I’m slow typing /reading today!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:30 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

You said it better BP.

10:31 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Nick’s dunks were awesome, I was so happy for him. But even better were all the FT’s he hit. And the celebration by the bench was the icing on the cake!

10:40 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We’re playing so well even BoB is jumping back on the bandwagon.

10:41 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m still waiting for him to start killing defenders like WCS did and still does. I think he is heading in the right direction and will eventually get there.

10:42 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Nick, that is.

10:43 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

The bad part is those bandwagon jumpers don’t deserve to cheer for a good team.

10:44 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

BoB is not allowed on the bandwagon. The bandwagon needs to run him over and then back up a few times to finish the job. πŸ™‚

10:49 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

yeah BoB, cking, and No more excuses Cal are all jumping back on and still not admitting to being bandwagon. They’re all like “what I said was correct at the time.” NO…what you said was that this team is terrible, the players suck, and Cal can’t coach. Saying those things implies there is no potential to improve.

11:12 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

BP, deep down cking and the others know they’re crappy bandwagon fans, that’s why they get so mad when they get called out on it. Cking still can’t get over you calling him out. Truth hurts.

5. secrick
    10:13 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Darn what a win, i just kept wanting Barker to keep shooting . Herro is one good rebounding guard.

10:34 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t know that he played for us, but yeah, it was impressive for a guy his age to get out there and hit some shots. πŸ™‚

10:36 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Baker has one sweet shooting stroke. It always looks like it’s going in.

• Realme
      10:37 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Barker / Baker
      Schmarker / Schmaker

6. Realme
    10:24 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I thought Jimmy Dikes was going to be embarrassed, but then they started playing the song, and he was like “oh, I like this one” and started bopping his head and singing along. Personally I’d heard it enough already the first time.

10:35 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I actually think JD has a pretty good voice, but that’s not to say that I want to listen to the whole song during the game.

10:37 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It was better than any song by KYJoe, but that’s a low bar.

• Realme
      11:51 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for summoning Ky Joe, Jdub.

11:58 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

He must be like Beetlejuice. I didn’t mean to do it!

7. Former Auburn & Clemson bball coach Cliff Ellis once cut a country album (this is just one song but my understanding is he did a whole album):

8. runningunnin.454
    10:26 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We beat Auburn, and they fell apart. We beat Kansas, and they lost to 11-9 Texas. As Rex says, “when Kentucky rolls over you, it leaves a mark”.

• We break dude’s spirits. On a serious note, those wins look less impressive, but at least we’re back in the top 8, and hopefully top 5 when all is said and done. I want no less than a 2 seed. I didn’t think that was possible after we lost to Bama.

10:30 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

RG I think we definitely left a skid mark last night… πŸ™‚

10:31 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

At least UofL seems to have been rejuvenated after we whooped them. That win is looking better and better.

10:32 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, but the win over Louisville suddenly looks much better. And it was at their place.

10:32 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Great, only 30 minutes in and we have our first poop joke. πŸ™‚

10:36 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

gah sorry Clutch. But we def $hat all over them last night. I’ll stop now.

10:39 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We’re snatching teams’ souls.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

BP, positraction skid marks.

10:48 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

RG, is that limited slip, Sure-Grip, or Detroit Locker? (Going back to my moterhead background – first is what GM called it, second is MOPAR, and third is FoMoCo).

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

4 speed, dual quad, positraction four-oh-nine.

11:23 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely beautiful. Have a friend who has that car…his is light blue.

11:57 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

That thing makes some beautiful sounds!

9. RealCatsFan
    10:34 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m wondering if our POTUS woke up this morning insanely jealous of Nick and his gigantic paws. πŸ™‚

10:36 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Oh, and STD needs to play a little Violent Femmes in Nick’s honor. πŸ™‚

10. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

The defense is setting the tone for this team. We are now staying in front of our man, closing out on shooters, and cutting off passing lanes. Who would have thought we would be praising this team’s defense back in December?

And how about that rebounding? WOW!

Those are the building blocks for a team that is ready for March.

10:46 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We did everything well last night. Shot 10-17 from the three, 74% for free throws and our defense was so smothering Vandy only scored 15 points in the first half. With about 3 minutes to go in the game I was wondering if Vandy would crack 50 points.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Time for some cold joke alliteration. I’ll start with this one…

It’s colder than a penguin’s pecker out there! (get your mind out of the gutter!) πŸ™‚

10:54 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

So what is particularly cold about a well digger’s butt?

11:13 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

No clue.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I generally think Bevin is an idiot and has a knack for putting his foot in his mouth, but his comments were mostly in jest if you listen to the context. And he kind of has a point – when I was a kid, we had to walk around the block to the bus stop, and I distinctly remember it being so cold that we were watching our spit freeze to the bushes by the bus stop. Thank god there were not any flag poles around.

• Realme
      10:45 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I’ve always thought he was trying to emulate Trump in his communication style.

10:45 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t listen to what he said, I just saw the headlines. And it really didn’t bother me, I don’t have kids so I didn’t get all defensive of them and I too remember standing at the bus stop on some super cold days as a kid. He says a lot of silly things that I think to purposely get people riled, like POTUS does.

10:46 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

lol Real we are on the same wavelength today, it seems.

10:48 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Bevin is mostly just rich and out of touch. He’s not thinking about all the poor kids who would have to stand outside waiting for the bus with no winter coats. I highly doubt he’s ever been on a school bus.

• Realme
      10:49 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Great minds.

10:54 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I do have kids, and I really didn’t take offense at what he said. He’s actually not wrong about that. It’s just that there are so many irresponsible parents out there, it has become necessary to do this.

10:58 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s a tricky subject. Yes, you have kids who don’t have appropriate attire and parents who don’t make sure they are properly clothed, but those same kids are probably now sitting in a cold home with little to no food to eat while school is out.

11:17 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s not just the kids waiting for the bus, etc. Many times they have trouble getting the buses started in the first place. Diesels get, ahem, grumpy in the cold, and with the thin budgets the schools now have, there might be some deferred maintenance on aging buses. And what happens when a bus breaks down on the way and you now have a bunch of kids stuck on the bus, and waiting for the bus in sub-zero wind chills. This is a much bigger problem in rural areas.

11:24 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I lived no more than a mile and a half from my grade school in Jefferson County, but with all the stops, etc. (not to mention the neighborhoods are very hilly in that area) I was on the bus for about an hour after school everyday. Buses aren’t heated. That’s a long time in the cold.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:26 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

In the my neighborhood I notice the children all have to walk to the designated corner to meet the bus, a few of them walk about a quarter of a mile and stand for around 30 minutes waiting for the bus, these children are not standing in front of their houses. I guess they get there early to make sure they don’t miss the bus.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Some said this was payback for that 41 point loss we had down there under BCG, but it is also for those miserable losses the football team had to them under Joker. Their crowd looked a lot like our crowd did during that game, and they didn’t have the lousy weather to blame for it.

10:56 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

What crowd? I saw an arena full of UK fans with a few Vandy fans sprinkled in. lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

The Vandy band were all reading books.

11:04 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I was offered band scholarships at UK and Vandy. Going to Vandy would have been nice, but I definitely had a lot more fun at UK. That, and Vandy’s didn’t cover all tuition like UK did.

11:19 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

My daughter went on a school trip to visit several colleges in Tennessee last year. I think they went to UT, Vandy, Belmont, and I think Middle Tenn St. She really liked UT (gag), but the vibe that she got from Vandy was that a lot of the students were kind of stuck up – especially the chaperone who was showing them the campus.

11:24 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I have spent a lot of work-related time at Belmont. I could definitely see going there if I was looking at options for college.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

PJ probably would have had 30 and 15 if Cal had left him in, but I was very glad to see EJ and Nick getting all those minutes. They needed that, and we will need both of those guys in March (and hopefully April).

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Yep, I actually thought there was no reason to put Reid, Tyler, and PJ back in. The other guys need minutes, and that was probably what the Vandy coach was talking to Cal about.

11:17 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

PJ has finally decided/learned how dominant he is/can be. There is no one in college basketball who can stop him. I knew he and Reid going against each other in practice everyday would pay dividends eventually. They push each other and have now learned how to play together. (Same with Ashton and IQ, Nick and EJ, Tyler/KJ/Baker.)

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

The depth will pay off in March; and, our 3pt shooting will get there. Duuuke is not hitting the three, and, I think Reddish has checked out. They don’t want us again.

11:30 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

We played matador defense against them, and left their shooters wide open. I think we will do a much better job challenging them if we face them again. I can promise you this – out boys will not be intimidated by dook.

11:33 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

You just know that dudes as competitive as Herro, KJ, Ashton, etc. are jonesing for revenge against dook.

15. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:35 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Am I the last person in the Commonwealth to learn that Bevins’ middle name is Griswold? That explains a lot!

• runningunnin.454
      11:40 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere…leave you for dead?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:42 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

You think cousin Eddie is his press secretary?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:45 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know if I should go sailin’ down no hill with nothing between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Don’t go revin’ up the microwave.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:48 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

He’s cute ain’t he? Only problem is, he’s got a little bit a Mississippi leg hound in ‘im. If the mood catches him right, he’ll grab your leg and just go to town. You don’t want him around if your wearing short pants, if you know what I mean. Word of warning though, if he does lay into ya, it’s best to just let ‘im finish.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

No way in Hell I’m letting him finish!

11:56 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I thin Cousin Eddie would be the director of MSD.

16. Realme
    11:38 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Matt’s new shoe habit is making him less dorky.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:51 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Aw, Matt was named after Harper Lee.