KSR Show Thread 1/30: Live from Ames, Iowa

When the KSR crew isn’t breaking down Kentucky’s win over Vanderbilt, Ryan Lemond is going to explain what is happening in this picture with Joe Biden. The show will likely get off the rails, but in a good way. You don’t want to miss it.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/30: Live from Ames, Iowa

1. Realme
    9:59 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Ryan is channeling Ky Joe in that picture. SO creepy.

• StillBP
      10:07 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking Matt Bevin, but you’re not wrong.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

You have to wonder where the Secret Service is…letting someone looking like that get so close.

10:09 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Looks like a still from a crime documentary. lol

10:15 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Ryan SO MUCH should have gone up and smelled his hair.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

It’s funny, but I also can’t help but think of the pic of John Lennon signing an autograph for the guy that wound up killing him just a little while later.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

RCF = winner!

And given him a shoulder rub RCF.

11:18 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Kentucky Joe, how hilarious would if be if Matt could put him up to singing a song to Mitch McConnell?

11:32 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

It would be funny that he did it, but I still wouldn’t want to listen.

2. secrick
    10:02 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

We need Nick. All wins are good ones. And the Handkerchief in Stackhouse jacket looked weird .

• Realme
      10:10 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

True, and true, and I didn’t notice it, but like Nick already mentioned, I was puzzled by how all he seemed to do was stand still and stare.

10:16 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Stackhouse seems to have accepted the fact that they are gonna suck this year.

10:17 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

That tie he was wearing reminded me of the huge, wide, ugly old ties I used to swipe out of my dad’s closet when I attended a Catholic boys HS. When you tied them too short, they looked like a bib. Betting that Jerry could have put that one to use with a big helping of sloppy Joe’s.

10:26 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I don’t think the man uttered a single word until the handshake line. Aside from that, he just stood there and glowered from time to time.

10:37 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

He has the same demeanor BCG did during that Gardner-Webb game. At the time, I wanted to believe he knew something we didn’t and it was his way of getting through to the team. How did that turn out? haha

3. sp
    10:06 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Ryan is definitely on a CIA watch list now.

4. Realme
    10:08 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Ba ha ha ha “Whoever Roofing Company is the only roofing company Matt recommends”. Well, I mean he is the expert on home care.

10:11 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Well, Rooferee is definitely not recommended, and the other one might be the only one he could name.

• Realme
      10:14 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of the rooferee, Matt said he is still in litigation over his officiating comments. I thought that got thrown out of court?

• StillBP
      10:16 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

they appealed it being thrown out so it’s still lingering.

5. Realme
    10:10 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I will be so sad if we lose Marrow, but I guess I have to wish him well if he goes. *sob*

10:14 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I could be totally wrong, but I really don’t see him going anywhere for a while. They are *this* close to really breaking through in big boy football, and he has been a huge part of that process.

• StillBP
      10:17 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

but he did say something to the effect that he will be a head coach sooner rather than later. I forgot the exact quote.

• StillBP
      10:18 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

actually it was “…but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it”. Short future doesn’t sound good for us!

10:19 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he did say that. Not sure where that is coming from, though. At his age, it seems like he would have made a move toward that goal. He’s not even a coordinator yet, which is fine. I just think he is doing what he is cut out to do, unlike so many who get promoted to their level of incompetence.

10:25 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I thought he also said something about not being finished building something at UK.

• Realme
      10:29 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I felt like the comment about how he will be a head coach sometime was him breaking it to us gently.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

How old is he? Aren’t he and Stoops about the same age?

Anyway, I hope selfishly he stays, but I don’t blame him if he wants to be a HC. He may not be all about the money, but there are coordinators out there who are making like 2.5 million now (I think that’s what Bo Pelini just got at LSU). That is insane, and I think Vince makes about 600K. That would be insane money for me if someone offered it to me, but ASSISTANTS making that kind of dough? Wow.

• Realme
      10:34 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

He seems older, but I am terrible at guessing ages.

10:41 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Wikipedia says he is 51. I would have guessed he was closer to 60. Still, at 51 you’re kind of doing what you’re going to be doing as a coach.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:11 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Whew Sports Fans, that was so ugly last night, it stopped every 8 day clock in the house.

10:23 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Normally, I would just be a little annoyed that a team like Vandy would go Warrior-mode on us for a while, but after the Evansville fiasco, I was more than a little worried.

It just emphasizes the fact that we HAVE to keep Nick out of foul trouble during the tournament. I am just worried about the phantom calls that they like to make when the defender just stands there with their hands up and the opponent initiates all the contact. Isn’t there a definition of a foul in the rulebook somewhere that should apply here? Aside from the block/charge clusterf***, that is THE most annoying call in college BB.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

There is a basis for a no-call if the offensive player initiates the contact; if they call it on the defender, it’s just a bad call; but there are bad refs.
      However, Nick did commit those two early fouls; he has to learn, if he’s out of position, just let the guy have the bucket.
      Once again, last night, we reverted to going under screens, and deserting our man to chase the ball…I was hearing Tammy Wynette in the background…”Stand By Your Man”.

• Realme
      10:40 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

One of their guys did that shuffle hop forward thing to get underneath Quickley before flopping early in the game. There was video going around on Twitter. So dirty, and infuriating because it’s like you’re trying to cause injury while you’re lying.

10:43 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

We still have that troubling tendency to switch on every. single. screen. Other teams using that against us is a spring basketball tradition, it seems.

10:45 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

If you do that shuffle hop forward thing and stand there with your hands over your junk, that needs to be a blocking foul. All the current rule does is create more collisions in the lane.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Sunday Morning Sports Talk is coming back this Sunday! Larry Vaught says we have Tom Leach to thank, so give Tom a shout-out. You can’t kill a show that BBN wants!

• Realme
      10:16 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

That’s great! I don’t listen every week, but it was nice to tune in to, and they deserve to keep their show.

10:19 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Tom Leach with yet another save for BBN!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t quite get all the details, but Larry made an allusion to needing to get some sponsors, so I *THINK* it sounds like the show will now have the same model as Tom’s that Matt once mentioned. I’m no lawyer or advertising guy, but I know when Tom’s show comes on it says something about being a paid show or some such. I don’t know how that differs from KSR and other shows selling advertising, but I guess Tom owns the show and all ad dollars go to him and then he pays the station. I used to think Matt owned his show until I first heard him say that it’s actually iHeart.

Anyway, if any of you guys are entrepreneurs, consider sponsoring Meisterburger and the guys I guess!

• Realme
      10:31 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Tom basically gets his own sponsors and buys air time instead of being under contract with iHeart. Hopefully the SMST guys can get enough to cover 3 hrs a week.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

If Nick keeps it up, he will have some trophies of his own to put on the shelf next to Leah’s. But I don’t think he will be able to get her to dust them for him. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

It sounds like Leah has a similar sense of humor to Ellen Calipari and her kids.

9. J-Dub421
    10:41 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Can someone explain how Vandy shot almost as many free throws as we did (16 for them and 19 for us) when Vandy jacked up 26 threes to our 10. Vandy took 54 shots, 26 of which were threes. We took 56 shots, ten of which were threes. We got hacked to death on every drive, and they were rarely called. That’s the crap that really gets to me. We get called for crappy touch fouls at an inordinate rate.

• Realme
      10:47 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

And the officiating didn’t even seem that bad last night! It’s crazy, and every year gets a little worse.

10:51 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

It was interesting that they put up a stat that UK has made more FT’s than their opponents have attempted. That was a little surprising, because it always seems like we are having fouls called on us at a higher rate than the opposition, but maybe that is the fan homerism in me. We do shoot FT’s at a high percentage, and we like to drive the lane, which both probably play into the numbers.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

There’s no reasonable explanation for that; we’re not a good 3pt shooting team; and, we take it inside. I was more upset with our level of play last night; but, we did get hacked and bumped on several shots. There is just no consistency in college officiating.

• TPACAT
      11:36 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

There goes Matt with his party’s identity politics. Now we should bus black people to Iowa to make it more “diverse”…

• Bluehender
      12:09 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

The play under the Vandy basket where it looked to me like a foul on Montgomery that was called a jump ball…to me was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Anyone else think that??

10. J-Dub421
    10:46 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Wow, Marrow is only 51? I thought he was closer to 65. Either way, thei head coaching job at Youngstown State would be a big pay cut for him. If I remember the article from the other day correctly, it would be something like a $400,000 pay cut. UK has thrown money at our assistant to keep them.

• Realme
      10:49 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Somebody on the show or one of the podcasts pointed out that their previous coach was still being paid by his previous program, so they didn’t need to pay him more than a token amount. They can and probably will pay more.

10:52 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I thought they also had it written into the contract that the previous coach’s brother would succeed him. But of course, those can be broken…

• StillBP
      10:58 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

rcf it wasn’t written in the contract according to the article….it says it was “implied” that his brother would succeed him

• StillBP
      11:01 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

actually never mind, it didn’t say implied! my bad.

• StillBP
      11:02 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

this is what the article KSR linked says about the brother…”and either expressly or with the understanding that he is now head coach in waiting.”

11:35 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Man, you would think Youngstown St. would have learned from other schools that the coach-in-waiting thing is usually a bad idea. But I hope that is the case for them and they leave the Big Dawg alone!

11. J-Dub421
    10:58 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was implied that the prior school still paying the former coach made the pay cut more palatable.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

You just have to love the quality technical engineering of KSR!

• Realme
      11:28 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

We’re all singing along, right!?

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Someone scanning on the radio is going to think they’ve found a classic rock station.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Here we go again. Jurich at it again?

11:30 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, at least Billy is throwing in some funny asides…

11:32 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

He should make a drop of the Judge in CaddyShack saying “Oooohhhh Billy Billy Billy”

14. runningunnin.454
    11:34 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Well, S Car won at Arkansas last night; so, that loss looks better. And, Texas Tech beat No. 12 West Virginia, so that helps us.

15. J-Dub421
    11:41 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Helicopters are the motorcycles of the aviation world. They’re extremely dangerous and crash often. Also, Kawhi/Kobe should just live closer to their jobs and stop whining about the commute, they easily have enough money to do so. It’s the same crap Papa John does. He thinks he’s too special and precious to drive a car like everyone else.

11:56 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I think anyone living in southern CA has probably fantasized about having a helicopter. You don’t even have to be driving very far at all to spend a couple of hours each way on the freeways there. I have spent a fair amount of time in LA for work, and I can’t imagine dealing with that traffic every day.

11:58 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

But yeah, they are pretty dangerous. And like motorcycles, there are no fender benders with them.

12:10 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

And it’s not like they actually have to drive. They can take a nap or browse their phone while their driver navigates traffic. It is the impatience of modern society that is the problem.

And yes, a helicopter is like a bumblebee – aerodynamically, there is no way the damned things should be able to fly.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

AAAAUGGHHH! They had to bring up the Drew Doppleganger. He is up there with such villains at Laettner, Wade and the white dude from Wisconsin for me.