KSR Show Thread 1/3: Happy Friday!

Who cares if it’s a short work-week. It’s still a Friday and that’s worth celebrating on Kentucky Sports Radio. The gang is in studio to put a bow on the Belk Bowl and talk about the Kentucky basketball team’s return to the hardwood Saturday against Missouri.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/3: Happy Friday!

1. Realme
    9:58 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

So Damien missed getting attention from BBN and had to do something to get it again? Who is he, Rick Pitino? You went to Bama dude, had a good career. We got Benny. It worked out well for everyone, move on.

10:06 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

my question is why does BBN care? Why are our fans throwing tantrums about this interview? He was asked a question and he answered it, it’s not like he just tweeted out of nowhere. Even if he’s making it up and he was Bama all along, why is our fan base acting like crazy ex girlfriends or boyfriends?

10:09 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Good points, ladies…water under the bridge.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:11 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Like a bridge over troubled water
      I will ease your mind

Simon and Garfunkel

• Realme
      10:13 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Some are still sore over him not picking us, I guess, BP. I just think it’s weird to lie about something that isn’t relevant now. And he did tweet (or instagram or whatever) out stuff to get us to react a couple times. Maybe the level of obsession we apply to players & recruits can be addictive.

10:18 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t know what he tweeted or insta’d bc I don’t follow him. I don’t know why any UK fan would follow him or see what he posted from another source (like KSR) and feel the need to react. That’s weird. The comments on that post about him are bad. Even one dude mentioning not caring if he gets injured and ends his career…such an embarrassment for our fan base. Not picking at you, Real (sorry if it’s coming off that way), just kinda shocked that BBN is so worked up about someone irrelevant to us.

• Realme
      10:23 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t take that personally, I know there are some strange people who still feel angry over a teenager not picking our team a few years ago. They are embarrassing.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I would never wish that on anyone BP, but I’m not buying his story. I don’t consider myself worked up (especially since Benny was better IMO), but I did comment on the post.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I guess you could say I got a LITTLE worked up at what he said in the interview, not for not picking us (although I was very disappointed at the time).

10:26 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

maybe I’m just moody today ๐Ÿ™‚ Chris, you didn’t wish injury on the man so you have that going. I get being disappointed he didn’t come here, but as we all said, we’re glad we had Benny over him, so let’s just let this guy live his life and ignore him!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

For the record, this is what I posted:

Mmm, yeeeeeah. And Iโ€™m the king of Siam. I remember how much he geeked when the one kid committed to Bama at the all star game.
      I also remember his photo tweet posing with the natty trophy saying something like โ€œPeople ask me why I didnโ€™t choose _______. This is why.โ€

10:32 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I hadn’t even thought about Harris in years until it was brought up again. I guess people have to have something to talk about.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

BP, I guess the reason it frosts me is that it sounds like (as some in the comments alluded to) he’s lying because he’s angling for a sales job (or whatever) in Kentucky after he’s done with football, so he’s greasing the skids. I have no problem with a guy going to the school he thinks is best for him, but just own it already.

Anyway, ’nuff said.

10:46 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I have no clue whether he decides to come back to KY or not but I kinda doubt it for right now. He’s young, on the roster for a playoff team (even though it’s a down year for them), and I would imagine plans on trying to stick around in the NFL for as long as possible. If not the NFL, I still doubt he needs a job selling crap in KY at this point in his life.

10:48 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I sound like I’m his biggest fan, I know ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not. Not a fan, not a hater. Just surprised some of BBN got so worked up.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Tennessee almost let the SEC down last night; the last several minutes were hilarious. IU was going for a FG to retake the lead, and called their last time out and iced their own kicker..hahaha.
    Then IU didn’t have a TO to stop the clock on their final drive; but Jeremy Pruitt, what a guy, called a TO for them…hahaha. I’ll never gripe about Coach Stoops again.

10:12 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

So SEC is 7-2 in bowl games this year with the NC game left. ACC 4-6 with NC game left.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:13 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

UT looked really bad last night, I think they went into the 4th with only 3 FG’s. I enjoyed a good laugh on them.

• Realme
      10:14 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Why is it that TN can beat us, but I don’t feel like we lost?

10:21 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

We really need to beat them next year. But I’m glad they threw their fit and took the Gator Bowl from us, playing VT was better than playing IU. IU fans don’t even care about football, for the most part.

10:24 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I was wondering the whole game if Phil Fulmer was enjoying their Gator Bowl.

• Realme
      10:24 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Me too, we got a great game out of the switcheroo.

10:34 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I have UT fans and IU fans as in-laws (some are both), so I was an interested observer. I knew I was going to get to laugh at somebody no matter how it turned out, but I hated to see UT steal another win they shouldn’t have gotten. Screw IU, though. haha

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Okay, so let’s say Lynn scores at the end of the UT game. What bowl do we go to? Does 1 more win take us up a notch, or no? I cannot begin to keep up with the last week of the season when our bowl selection depends on how about 100 games go.

• Realme
      10:36 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that’s a combo right there. At least they’re not Louisville fans?

10:40 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and they are actual sports fans, even all the women. My wife rocks UK blue, though, so I have that going for me!

• 4everUKBlue
      10:51 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Watching the UT vs IU game I thought it should’ve been called the redneck bowl. Not that we don’t have our own, but I stopped for gas in rural Indiana and I could’ve sworn I heard Dueling Banjos in the background and of course we all know about TN.

10:59 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m not going to throw those rocks, 4ever. lol

• 4everUKBlue
      10:59 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I might have gotten a little carried away Clutch, it happens sometimes. Lol

11:08 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha Dueling Banjos. “This river don’t go to Aintry”
      4ever, be sure you don’t bend over.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

rg, do you think Ned Beatty still has any regrets over taking that part in the movie? Wonder if he read the script beforehand? Someone wrote a song about it and played it to the tune of Tom Petty’s “The Waiting (is the hardest part) – “Ned Beatty had the hardest part”. ๐Ÿ˜€

• 4everUKBlue
      11:22 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

You got a purty mouth boy, squeal like a pig…Lol

11:39 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

LOL, guys; no, I could not have taken that role even if an out of work actor. Have to tell them No No Nanette on that one.

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

3. secrick
    10:10 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Yep i didn’t get the time out by the Indiana coach. Sec is 7 and 2 i think.

• Realme
      10:16 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Card fans like to pat themselves on the back and say we couldn’t get 6 wins in the ACC (kooky idea there), and fail to notice we went 2-0 against a couple of their better teams.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

That’s a joke. The only ACC program better than ours right now is Clemson IMO. Maybe Miami, but I honestly don’t know how they did this year.

10:53 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I would argue that our football program is in better shape than Miami’s at this time. They would be middle of the pack SEC at best, I think. BTW, I’m no longer disappointed that Jaren Williams stiffed us after watching them a few times.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:56 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Miami was 4-4, lost to Florida and VT, we should’ve won against Florida and beat VT in spite of the great and powerful Bud Foster. We paid no attention to the man behind the curtain.

10:56 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Miami managed 6 wins this year but lost to VT (we beat em, of course), Duke, Florida Int’l, Georgia Tech, and others. And they lost their bowl game to Louisiana Tech. Pretty sure we could’ve beaten them fairly easily.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:59 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m sorry BP is right, they were 6 and 7, including a loss to dook.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:20 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I can give them another irrelevant power 5 football team; I think the dookies lead the nation in most winless seasons.

5. J-Dub421
    10:24 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

#1. The ACC is Clemson and a bunch of dudes. The SEC is easily the best conference in college football year in and year out. UK would have probably been the second or third best team in the ACC this season.
    #2. I’m so annoyed we lost to Tennessee the last 2 seasons because we’re better than they are. We just play like garbage against them.
    #3. I really don’t care about Damian Harris, but he totally lied when he said he chose Alabama at the last second. A few years ago he said he’d decided a month or two before he announced. He’s just trying to sound like it was a last second choice to get back in the good graces of the BBN because he’ll likely be living here again some day.

• Realme
      10:28 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

#3. I think that backfired. I haven’t seen a single comment from someone that believed him. I’m sure he will be welcomed if he wants to be here after the NFL, though.

10:28 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and Boston College was destroyed by Cincinnati last night…wasn’t fit to watch.

• Realme
      10:28 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

#1 & #2: Spot on.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I posted my comment above (The only ACC program better than ours right now is Clemson IMO. Maybe Miami, but I honestly donโ€™t know how they did this year) before I saw yours J-Dub.

10:58 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

No, Miami was terrible; they finished 6-7, lost their last three games, and were shut out by Louisiana Tech.

6. StillBP
    10:28 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

MS St just pulled the trigger and fired their coach. That was a quick run for him.

10:38 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I watched the MSU v UL game; and, it actually occurred to me that the MSU coach was throwing the game. They passed early in the game when they didn’t have to, and then ran the ball, killing the clock, when they were multiple scores behind.

10:49 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

rg I think he just wanted out of Starkville ๐Ÿ™‚ kinda like how Bobby Petrino was clearly over coaching at Louisville before they pulled the trigger on him.

11:03 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

You mean he wanted out of Stark Vegas? Surely not.

7. J-Dub421
    10:32 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

SEC schools fire their coaches every few years when they didn’t magically become Alabama in 2 years. (Except UK with Stoops. We look smart right now.)

10:35 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

True. Glad the “Stooopid” comments are long gone, and the “Fire Gran” comments have disappeared as well.

10:47 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

When schools fire their football coaches after just a couple of years, they are admitting they screwed up by even hiring that guy in the first place. And they are showing they don’t understand how to let the process play out. Either that, or maybe there’s some behind the scenes stuff that means he has to go. Then there’s the idiot fans who try to make up behind the scenes stuff like a bunch of ours did. I’m still mad about that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Some aren’t even letting the guy finish his 2nd year before they show them the door.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I still wish someone would rat out that azzhole who tried to start that nasty rumor about Stoops and marital infidelity. Dude should be sued for libel.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I watched the end of the VT game, and I still don’t understand why Matt said we were one player’s tackle away from losing the game. The last VT guy with the ball had no one to lateral the ball to, and we had 5 defenders there to stop him.
    The laterals followed a forward pass, and only one forward pass is allowed per play, and the ball was 10 yards past the LOS…any forward pass would have been illegal.

10:57 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Gotta take any Matt football comments with a huge grain of salt.

10:58 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

are you saying the great Matt Jones is wrong about something? How dare you question him! He’s like the 2nd most important person in the world…right behind Bud Foster.

11:01 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha, maybe he was talking about another play…don’t know.

11:04 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s wrong about most football-related things. Not sure, since I kind of tune out when he starts talking about football. ๐Ÿ™‚

• 4everUKBlue
      11:04 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Should it considered blasphemous to say anything against Bud Foster and Matt Jones or question them in any way?

11:06 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Well, I’ll tell you how we did escape by the skin of our teeth: Josh Ali isn’t getting enough credit for those catches he made. That one he grabbed right off the ground on 4th down was as much of a game saver as the TD catch.

11:09 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Not sure 4ever but I’m not taking any chances!

Clutch, yes that 4th down diving catch saved the game. The touchdown catch won the game. It was a team win, but Bowden sure did shine bright!

9. cats646
    11:11 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

The guy killed Americans. He deserved to die.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I agree that he needed to go, but I’m worried about the hornets nest that we may have kicked. I guess that part of the world is never going to settle down.

10. J-Dub421
    11:20 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

โ€œMany that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.โ€ Gandalf/JRR Tolkien

11:31 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Ugh, J-D moderated on my reply…are you saying we should not have gone after bin Laden? What about the Nuremberg trials?

11. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Have to beat Missouri Saturday; they lost to Charleston Southern. Of course, they beat Wofford…ha ha ha UNCheat.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Well since we are talking about Aerosmith, their best stuff was during the period when “Rocks” and “Toys in the Attic” were put out. They still had some good stuff in the 80’s, but those two albums were raw and pure.

13. Realme
    11:37 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

WTH is up with Matt’s pronunciation of the name Alicia? He is such a weirdo.

11:44 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Pronunciation is optional.

11:51 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I think we can all agree that, as hard as he can be to listen to, the show is better with Matt. His idiosyncrasies are the price we pay for that. Ha!

• Realme
      11:55 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if I do agree. It’s better / more interesting topic flow, but there’s so much of him telling callers how dumb they are, and screeching at Drew and Ryan if they don’t agree with them. I guess it’s a wash for me.

12:01 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

There are more ups and downs with Matt. Some days are pure gold, and some are pretty terrible and annoying. I just think on average, it’s better with him.

14. Realme
    11:51 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I love their shows from the road, but I always feel so bad for the guys when they talk about these trips beforehand. They sound miserable to be a part of.

11:54 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I think going anywhere with them in a car would be my version of hell. I can see myself just opening the car door and bailing at some point. ๐Ÿ˜‰

11:54 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Guess I missed it; why are they going to Iowa?

• Realme
      11:56 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Same Clutch, he would definitely have to keep the child locks on. RG, for a caucus, whenever that is.

12:05 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Ugh, politics. I might consider going to Iowa to see the Cats play Iowa or Iowa State; but, have to pass on that.