KSR Show Thread 1/29: Beat Vanderbilt

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will get you ready for tonight’s game vs. Vanderbilt, which doesn’t tip until 9 p.m. Fill up that coffee cup, we’ve got a long day ahead.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/29: Beat Vanderbilt

1. StillBP
    10:05 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Late game tonight, dang it! It’s been nice having earlier games most of the season.

• Realme
      10:11 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, that sucks. My husband won’t be able to watch it at all.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I’m one of those weird people who actually prefer the 9:00 games during the week. All the workday and early evening stuff is done by then, and I can actually sit down and just watch the game.

• StillBP
      10:22 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been trying to go to bed by 10 since I get up at 4:45 but I plan on watching the whole game tonight. I’ll just need people at work to not speak to me tomorrow until after 10am πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Getting up at 4:45 sounds like hell without a game the night before.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

The only thing I don’t like about the late games is my son has to go to bed around the time it is starting.

• StillBP
      10:30 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Real is does suck but I prefer to get to work early and get off early. Make it in by 6:30, off at 3. I could technically come in later if I choose, I’m just so used to getting off early it seems like torture working until 4 or so.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Goodness BP, are you a swimmer? That’s the only time I used to get up that early. I’m a night owl, so I don’t mind the late games. I’m usually trying to cook dinner during the 7:00 games and watching the game on the iPad, which means I miss a lot of the game.

• StillBP
      10:43 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

haha no J-Dub. I work in Frankfort and live in Lex so I have a little bit of a drive to work and home. I like to make it to the gym by 5, and with a dog I have to walk in the morning and afternoon, I just have to work that early schedule to make everything work. If I were to get to the gym at 6 it just makes dinner time so late by the time I get home and cook. Instead of being one of those 5am gym people, I go on in to work and hit the gym at 5pm.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Make game night, pizza night…no cooking and problem solved.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

BP, my hours aren’t usually very flexible – I have to work from 9-6 most days, and I hate it. Don’t go in late enough to really get much done in the morning, and I hate getting home and it’s dark already. Plays hell with trying to coach volleyball too.

2. Realme
    10:07 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Nick is Mini Jerry Tipton. He shared a stat that the last 3 years, the game after the SEC / Big 12 challenge is a let down game. Of course we won 2 of them (in overtime). Big reach for a negative spin that has no effect on tonight’s game, which if we lost would be because we just beat 3 top 25 teams in 8 days, and went on the road in the SEC where anything can happen.

• StillBP
      10:10 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

KSR has a flare for the dramatic.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

The let down game is a real phenomenon; you have to fight to maintain intensity. Vandy won’t lay down for us…we’ll have to play hard.

• StillBP
      10:15 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Let down games happen but Nick’s statement was backed up with facts that we won 2 out of 3 LOL

• StillBP
      10:17 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I guess he was let down that 2 of them went to overtime. I don’t care how much time it took, a win is not a let down.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Logic, like facts, are optional.

• ClutchCargo
      10:28 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Apparently, grammar is optional for me.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Don’t like labeling players as the “best”. Basketball is a T-E-A-M sport. Stop it.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Best player depends on who we’re playing and individual match-ups.

4. tree_gardener
    10:38 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I like the late game. I don’t get off till 9 or so

• StillBP
      10:45 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like a lot of people don’t mind the 9. Now I sound like an old person…which I kinda am πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:46 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

No you’re not! That would make me old. πŸ™‚

I’m glad the late game makes some people happy.

• StillBP
      10:51 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

it’s all relative, Real. We’re not old to 50 year olds, we’re old to 20 year olds. But hey aren’t the 50yo wiser? ha ha

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:53 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Oh to be 50 again…sign.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

So, StillBP and Realme are old…ha ha ha ha.

• They used to have 9:30 games on Tuesday before CM Newton got them to roll it back. I’m in CST so it’s 8:00 for me, so it’s not bad except I like to listen to KSR post game. *sleepy emoji*

• StillBP
      11:01 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

runnin … Get off my lawn!

• Realme
      11:05 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

RG, I’m pretty sure you’re over 50, so you’re supposed to think we are young (at 42).

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

ooops, my bad on that rose bush.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

real, I’m 39, so ha ha ha ha.
      Worked for Jack Benny.

• Realme
      11:09 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Oh, a whippersnapper, eh?

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Iam, let me just tell you… being 50 isn’t as great as you may remember it. Like Toby Keith, I ain’t as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was.

• RealCatsFan
      12:05 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

Screw birthdays, I now celebrate anniversaries instead. Currently I’m on my 24th anniversary of my 29th birthday, so I guess that makes me 24. πŸ™‚

5. Realme
    10:45 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Is that John caller a fake? He just doesn’t sound right. (Not John Short for you non listeners).

6. J-Dub421
    10:52 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

We’ll just beat Tennessee twice. Problem solved.

7. secrick
    10:52 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I like both times just not the Sat. games at 12

8. I’m home today. My employer closed because we were supposed to get Snowmageddon 2019 today, but it’s just been rain. lol

What Matt said about UT earlier: Bama’s claim to 17 championships also has several of those Post Toasties & Wonder Bread championships. I just made those up, but many were before the AP and UPI years. As RG has pointed out, if UK claimed our Helms championships in bball (like UNC is doing) that we won before the NCAA tourney ‘ships, we would have 10.

9. Realme
    10:54 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha Matt just thanked a random unknown stranger for picking up his dinner and Ryan said you’re welcome.

10. J-Dub421
    10:56 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Someone starts hitting their kid with a ruler, I might call the police and report them for child abuse.

• Realme
      10:58 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

That is horrifying. If that’s what they would do in front of strangers… I hope I would call the police or CPS with a license plate number or something.

• Realme
      11:00 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I saw something way worse when I was younger, before cell phones. I panicked and didn’t do anything and I regret it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Do you know how many times my hands were hit with a ruler in grade school? I don’t either; but, it was a lot. Lots and lots, whole bunch, beaucoup.

• Realme
      11:07 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

The guy in Matt’s story threatened a lot worse though, and said he’d enjoy it.

• I won’t say I got it a lot, but I did get rapped on the knuckles a few times by teachers.

• I didn’t hear the whole thing by Matt, so I hear you Realme.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

When my wife was still teaching in the classroom, she had some crazy stories about what idiot parents do to their kids. The one that stands out for me was the kid whose dad punished him by shooting him with a bb gun. And yes, all of those things got reported.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

^ These were 2nd and 3rd graders, btw.

• StillBP
      11:31 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I just read a story about a father arrested for forcing his kids to do 30 minutes of pushups without stopping. and stand in a corner with their body several inches from a wall but forced to have their forehead on the wall at all times. Sounds harsh.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

My mother just gave me chores to do if I got in trouble (a rare occurrence). She’d tell me I clearly had too much time on my hands, so obviously I had time to pull weeds in the garden and clean the bathroom.

11. Oh, I almost forgot:

Congrats to Juice Johnson who just signed with my wife’s hometown WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS!!!

12. Realme
    11:14 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Tyler has improved dramatically in all the non-shooting skills.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

The comments under “Tyler not just a white guy that can shoot” were interesting. Somebody said, “if you’re white, and you go to an inner city court, they won’t let you play”.
      I was in B’ham 4 years, and played on city courts practically every day; yeah, most times I was the only white guy…but no problems at all.

• RG, I grew up in the project in Lexington, so it just depended on who the other dudes were. When Mapquest & Google Maps first became a thing, I looked up a map of that area. It was a stroll down amnesia lane. Now that project has been razed and replace by other structures, and the streets were even razed and are different now. I lived at 240-F McCracken Drive.

I remember getting some tutoring from some UK students RG. Maybe you were one of them. πŸ˜‰

• Realme
      11:32 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Roger Harden gave credit to MLK on Twitter last week for making it so that he could become a better bball player by playing on those courts. I don’t really know him (before my very young time :)) but he’s a great Twitter follow.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

So RM, you’re saying that Cal actually does develop talent and might just know what he’s doing as a coach….

• I responded to one of his tweets recently and he followed me. I’m rubbing elbows virtually with a star!

• Realme, there was much racial tension when I lived in the project, and it was on both sides.

13. I used to hear Kevin Wheeler on the old One on One sports radio network back in the 90s. He was a producer for a guy named Arnie Spanier I listened to when I was a 3rd shifter, and he would fill in sometimes when hosts were out.

BTW, One on One became Sporting News Radio, which became Yahoo Sports Radio, which became SB Nation Radio.

“Wheels”, as he called himself, played baseball for the U, so he probably talks baseball a lot because of that and since St. Louis is a huge baseball town.

• So in that clip, Wheels was basically saying “You can’t shine a turd.”

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

That was one of my favorite lines from the movie “Christine”, when the grizzled old auto repair shop owner was talking to his elderly father, who said the kid who owned Christine had “good hands” – “You can’t polish a turd, daddy.” πŸ˜€

14. RealCatsFan
    11:51 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I know Rand Paul’s neighbor was totally in the wrong, and broken ribs are nothing to take lightly, but does rand come off as a total girly-man to any of you? If the dude’s tackle threw him ten feet, I think Stoops can make room for him on the defensive line.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

The 72 year old fan who was told he was too loud at Rupp needs to get one of those t-shirts that say “If it’s too loud, you’re too old!”

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Those people would hate me. Once my friends and I (only 5 of us total) out-cheered about 100 Chileans at Bob and Mike Bryan’s tennis match. (Their opponents were from Chile.) (Bob and Mike are the best doubles team of all time and we’re huge fans.) Anyway, Bob and Mike were impressed.

• michaelb