KSR Show Thread 1/28: Kansas win, Royal Rumble fun and more

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude will give their thoughts on the Kansas game, last night’s Royal Rumble party at KSBar and Grille, and much more. Be sure to tune in!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

112 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/28: Kansas win, Royal Rumble fun and more

1. Realme
    10:01 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Me watching a Bilas called game:

Criticizes a member of the other team: “Ha ha this is great.”
    Criticizes the officials or the NCAA: “Man, he is so smart. Well said.”
    Says our player flopped: “Ooooh this guy is the worst! SO biased.”

10:02 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

You mean SO bilased?

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

The horse should have bit Jay Williams; bucked him off, kicked him, and crapped on him.

10:12 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

He looked ridiculous on that horse and then to pick KU made him look like even an even bigger horses @ss.

10:33 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, why ride out on a horse (a symbol of Kentucky) then pick Kansas. Dumb.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

He could have shoved a sheaf of wheat up his butt, and rode that.

• Realme
      10:44 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

RG that is one of your best comments ever.

10:46 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I can’t stop laughing at the comment but runnin.

10:50 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Hate to say it, and probably not PC these days, but all I could think of seeing him on that horse was the scene when the sheriff rode into town on Blazing Saddles. πŸ˜€

2. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:19 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I really hope AD goes anywhere but to the Lakers. I hate the idea of him playing in the shadow of Lebron.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Lebron is such a crybaby; I hate to watch a 6’8″ 250 lb man whine and cry.

10:24 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Agreed and when I heard him say him winning the championship for Cleveland made him the GOAT, he took total credit for the title.

• Realme
      10:24 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Just put him on a team that can win. Besides the Warriors or Lakers.

10:48 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I would love to see Davis with the Celtics and a re-emegence of the rivalry that they had with LA. That was an all time classic rivalry in sports.

• Realme
      10:51 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

That’s what I voted for in the poll that’s on the site somewhere this morning. It was 50% Lakers, though.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

SKYNYRD!!!!

Happy Monday, BBN! Cats roll the Jayhawks – it is a great day to live here in the Commonwealth.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:27 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of the Kansas game, I thought Self was going to blow his hairpiece off and it is one fine hairpiece. I thought the KU players were pretty good sports overall, never thought I’d say that about a Kansas team.

10:33 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Think I saw a Kansas player helping a UK player up off the floor one time, and that is a sign of good sportsmanship. Always good to see. We as fans have to understand that it is not personal for these guys most of the time – a lot of them are friends off the court and played together and against each other in AAU’s.

• StillBP
      10:33 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I kept wondering why his face was so red all game. Did he hit up a tanning bed and get a little burnt?

10:34 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

It was a good game. Everyone played hard, but it didn’t get chippy.

10:40 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Quickley helped a Kansas guy up at one point as well. Good sportsmanship all around.

10:41 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I even heard a Kansas player ask Travis if he was alright as he offered to help him up, I thought that was very cool.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I have a hard time hating Kansas. It’s weird, but I have respected KU, for the most part, over the years.

• Realme
      10:46 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Probably because they usually crap out of the tourney. We don’t have to worry about them catching up to our 8.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

And, they knocked Dook out of the tourny last year. If K can’t win with Marvin Bagley…maybe he can’t coach.

11:00 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

rg, I remember saying last year “OK Kansas, you did your good deed for us, but now we are done with you. Time to lose.” πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Yep.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Heard Tom Leach talking about Nick Richards’ girlfriend, Leah Edmond (star UK Volleyball outside hitter) helping him with his confidence issues. Looked up the article, and it looks like an interesting read, but I just can’t get myself to sign up with The Atlantic at $3.00 / month to read it. Is that bad?

10:31 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

That being said, I love Nick and I really love Leah, being a “volleyballer” myself. I hope they stay together and get married someday and have themselves five or six children – the boys will become dominating UK big men, and the girls will be dominating UK outside hitters. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:31 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I saw some excerpts somewhere. The part I saw talked about how she sees that he works a lot harder than she does off the court and challenges her to do more.

10:36 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I think my younger daughter was channeling her inner Leah Edmond over the weekend. We were short a player and she had to hit on the front row for her volleyball team – all 5-foot-2 of her. She ended up leading the team in hitting percentage and hitting efficiency, and was 2nd in digs. Never got blocked once, only 2 hitting errors. Proud papa. πŸ™‚

• I have never paid for ESPN Insider or any sports or political site. There is so much free stuff I don’t need it. Granted, someone will still occasionally post a comment on KSR accusing Matt of growing KSR by stealing stuff that was behind other site’s pay walls and “scooping” it. I don’t know how true that is or not. I first discovered this site the week BCG was hired and MJ was in the middle of his war with Maggard, apparently over that very issue.

10:45 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Their children will be tall with him being 7 ft and her 6’2″

10:54 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Iam, their kids will be absolutely gigantic! She would probably have a baby the size of your average 2 year old. πŸ™‚ The child might have a birthday the stretches across two days.

10:57 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m good with them getting married and having kids as long as they all commit to Kentucky RealCats.

6. Realme
    10:30 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t like the 94 feet on our court with a Kansas player either. If your only choice is to have an opponent do the 94 feet on the home team’s court, just skip that segment.

7. My listening is spotty but I see they’re going to talk about the Royal Rumble.

I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again: why is it that when wrestling maintained Kayfabe, sports networks didn’t cover it. Now that they admit it’s staged, ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. cover it. Would they cover the NFL if tomorrow Roger Goodell admitted “Haha! We fooled you guys all these years. I actually DID phone the officials to tell them not to call interference or targeting on the Rams! I do it every game!!!”

8. secrick
    10:35 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Great win against Kansas, dam i want Nick to play more but how do you take out Travis.

10:41 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I really hope that Nick and EJ will both be back next year. I don’t really see Cal getting another big with the possible exception of Hurt, and having both those guys for another year would be huge. I can see either or both of them making a similar move up to what WCS did for the 2015 year when he came back his junior year. I like the sound of “Junior Nick Richards”. πŸ™‚

10:44 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Nick had 5 blocks, and they were important. That’s 10 points erased. Nick may not have scored, but he influenced the game.

10:54 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Nick should get a neck tattoo. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I hope EJ doesn’t transfer; I’m not sure he’s receptive to Cal’s style.

11:30 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I hope he won’t transfer too. He needs to stick it out – there have been so many examples of big men who Cal has helped get into the league.

9. J-Dub421
    10:36 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Lay off my Reid, Matt!! Reid is intimidating enough all on his own. He doesn’t need a tough guy face.

10:37 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Reid could pick his nose after every basket for all I care if he keeps playing like that.

• Some teammates were laughing when he stole PJ’s mean/stink face. That was funny.

• Realme
      10:42 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

That face was pretty bad. Not as embarrassing as Brad’s getup though.

10:43 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I love Reid. He’s the whole package, smart, nice, works hard, and he’s sooooo pretty.

10:44 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m sure Cal loves Brad like no other, but I also wonder if he sometimes shakes his head in dismay at the tattoo and his overall dress and appearance. πŸ˜‰

• StillBP
      10:49 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Brad was dressing like he was going from the game to Two Keys. Saturday it looked like he was going from the game to Parlay Social. What was up w that turtleneck?

10:52 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he got a new neck tattoo BP. What do you think it would say if he did?

10:53 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Brad’s suit was nice, but that turtleneck needed to go.

• cats646
      10:54 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

My dad would punch me in the throat if I dressed like Brad. Ha

10:56 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Still BP, I am going to hold off saying anything about your comment on Reid’s prettiness since I obviously have no appreciation of male attractiveness. πŸ˜€

11:03 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think Brad would get a neck tat. Ellen would disown him and his sisters would be merciless.

• StillBP
      11:04 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

haha Real I didn’t mention Reid’s prettiness. I was just talking about Brad’s bench attire. I am too old to talk about these players being hot. Tebow is fair game, he’s out of college!

11:10 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

That was me calling Reid pretty. πŸ™‚

11:15 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

J-dub, seeing the comments from Brad’s sisters would make it worth it to see him get the neck tat. Hell, it was probably pretty bad when he got “earned not given”. πŸ˜€

• I love having Ashton reeking havoc on D and having Reid bullying dudes in the post. I hope he can play like that against UT.

• Wreak not reek…lol…Ashton may in fact stink but I don’t know that for sure.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Reid and PJ and Nick and EJ will all foul out against UT. Can’t look at them without picking up a foul.

• The Calipari girls are hilarious. I’m not on Twitter much, but occasionally when a post here cites one, especially when they make fun of Cal or Brad, I’ll go check their threads out.

11:29 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Wow, I hate to pile on Brad, but that haircut combined with the suit brings up this image in my mind.

11:31 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

When we played Louisville, their big dude (Enoch) kept trying to bully Reid in the paint, and never worked. He’d lower his shoulder and try to body Reid, who didn’t budge even a centimeter. It looked like Enoch was trying to move a brick wall.

• Realme
      11:38 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Mrs. Cal is the real social media savage. Her trolling of Brad and Cal is hilarious.

11:40 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

cg, you mentioned Brad’s sisters – check out this tweet from Erin on Brad’s outfit – “No points from the bench?! Umm, excuse me? I’m pretty sure @bradcalipari’s outfit was 10/10 tonight.”

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

11:48 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I get the feeling that the female members of the Calipari family do an excellent job of keeping the men-folk in line. It would be hilarious to listen in when they sit down to dinner.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Is the Hook and Hold this year’s “Blarge” (Block/Charge call)?

• Realme
      10:45 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

That has no business being an automatic flagrant call.

10:46 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Yes. It’s a new rule and a point of emphasis because one dude got hurt last year (Ethan Happ) for the first time ever in basketball, so now it’s a big deal.

• StillBP
      10:49 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

that auto flagrant needs to go. takes up so much time and it’s silly for the other team to get shots and the ball.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

It’s just another thing that causes the refs to spend too much time at the monitor. I say it should go, for that reason alone.

10:58 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Yep, Vandy got absolutely robbed against UT with the H&H.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I would like to see, when the team that’s behind in the last minute fouls “intentionally”, the offense gets 2 ft’s and the ball. I was waiting for our game, and the last minute took 40 minutes. Everybody knows the fouls are intentional.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

But, yeah, H&H is bogus.

11. ClutchCargo
    10:47 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I have been to a few games at Vandy. The best part about their arena is that it is more like a high school gym the way it’s setup. You can easily access any other section from where you currently are. Several years ago, I went with 5 other guys and our seats were way up in the top of the end zone. Early in the game we noticed there were 6 empty seats in the 3rd row just to the right of the opposite goal. We just walked down there like we belonged and sat there the rest of the game. Had a great view of Rondo bricking free throws that would have tied or won the game. πŸ™

10:57 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Watching UK play at Vandy is on the bucket list for Mrs RCF and me.

12. Forget Kash channeling Stone Cold. I wanted to hear him talk about the bass fishin’ team!

13. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:17 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Is it just me or is Matt giving fashion advice just wrong? Shouldn’t one have some fashion sense before commenting on someone else’s dress.

• Realme
      11:18 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Very true, but Brad makes himself look foolish.

11:20 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I agree Realme and it only bothers me when Matt is doing the judging.

• At least the suit looked better than the generic hoodie. If you’re not wearing a suit, then wear UK gear…IMO anyway.

• StillBP
      11:22 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I agree Iam. I don’t know what Matt is saying but I’ve seen him in some really bad fashion choices. It would be like Matt criticizing someone’s taste in music…which I’m sure he does that as well.

11:24 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

11:25 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Matt is railing on Brad’s outfit at the game and it was bad, but Matt has no room to talk BP.

• Next he’ll be making fun of the way a guy runs to first in softball. πŸ˜‰

11:26 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub do you listen to Color Me Bad while looking at your Reid Travis poster ha ha?

11:42 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I liked Color Me Badd back in the day, but haven’t thought about them in years. And I wish I had a Reid Travis poster!

• StillBP
      11:50 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I saw CMB in concert just last year. Some sort of 90s concert. Bless their hearts…they are…um…not as fit as they used to be.

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

So, StillBP… Color Me Fat? πŸ™‚

• StillBP
      11:54 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

lol clutch!

11:55 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I love the show thread. Y’all crack me up.

14. So I just got moderated for simply pointing out that F-r-e-d-d-i-e w-e-a-r-s a-n a-s-c-o-t in response to what Matt was saying about Velma. lol

15. ClutchCargo
    11:47 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

I sat next to an idiot like that at the Mississippi St. football game this past season. He was a couple of seats to my right, and my buddy was beside me on the left. We just started laughing at him. Later in the game, when they were down big, he was just standing there with a bummed out look on his face. My buddy said “he doesn’t have much to say now.” I responded (making sure he could hear it) “Cats must have his tongue.” He wan’t amused, but he didn’t have anything to say to that, either.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

An idiot from Miss State, naaaah. BTW, did you ever hear Jerry Clower’s stuff; he played football at Miss St.
      They wanted him to “handle a snake” at the revival, he said, “where’s your back door”, We don’t have one. “Wonder where they want one”.
      That U. of Ky, they’ve got a football printed on their jersey…got to tackle everybody out of the backfield”.

• ClutchCargo
      12:00 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

There’s a ton of good people in Miss., don’t get me wrong, but those sports fans can be a little rough around the edges.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:49 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Since Matt is talking about notable wearers of the turtleneck, I am shocked that no one has brought up perhaps the most notorious wearer – J U R I C H!!

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

They actually did bring that up on the show. I think Bob Huggins belongs in that conversation.

11:53 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Ha! What about Jeff Goldblum?

17. Realme
    11:51 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Who else do people know? UH Bowden dumb dumb.

18. J-Dub421
    11:52 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

The faces of football next year will be Kash, TW, and Lynn Bowden. I can’t believe Matt’s overlooking Bowden. (Actually I can.)

19. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

So, does UK move up in the rankings any after last week? Not sure if many teams ahead of them lost, so maybe not.

• StillBP
      11:57 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

in the morning post Drew said only team ahead of us that lost was MI St. They lost to a previously unranked Purdue so I would think we would move ahead of them, but you never know.

11:58 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Mich State lost to unranked Purdue.

11:59 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

BP beat me to it. Good job BP!

11:59 am January 28, 2019 Permalink

Who else in the top 10 beat another top 10 team? That should count for something.

• runningunnin.454
      12:02 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

That just means they’ll put Purdue ahead of us.