KSR Show Thread 1/27: Live from the Des Moines Marriott

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the downtown Marriott in Des Moines, Iowa. Tune in to hear how the gang’s first day in Iowa went and what adventures lie ahead. If you’re in the area, please come join the fun.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

116 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/27: Live from the Des Moines Marriott

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Are politics allowed during roundball season?

• Realme
      10:02 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Nah. Nothing going on in politics anyways. :p

2. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

RIP No. 24. I was watching the Pro Bowl when it broke…heartbreaking.

• Realme
      10:17 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have any personal attachment to Kobe, but thinking about his daughter, and about how sad all our players and former players are, is heartbreaking enough.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Yes, prayers for his family, and the other families involved. Another family lost a young daughter too.

10:20 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Thinking about his wife and kids left behind is heartbreaking. He and his wife have been together practically all their lives. I’m not saying he was the best husband, but she stayed with him and clearly loved him deeply. Then to think his 3yo won’t remember him and his newborn will never know him. And of course the teenager who no longer has her dad here. It’s all just really sad.

10:39 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I was at my daughter’s volleyball tournament. The news broke when they were in the championship match in a heated battle against another team in their club. In fact, the two coaches for those teams are husband/wife, and there are two sets of siblings between the two teams so it was personal and emotional. Her coach broke the news about Kobe to the team in the post game huddle. My daughter and others on the team were upset to hear the news. She was very quiet on the way home, when she would normally be excited about the tournament. I had to sit down with her and talk about it. I guess that shows the impact of Kobe. She is not even an NBA fan.

I think the biggest impact for me was the fact that he died alongside his daughter, on the way to a game. (Not to mention the other dad and daughter on board.) I think for all the dad’s out there who have daughters who they coached in sports, this kind of hits home in a unique way. I can only imagine how horrible it was for Kobe to know that they were all going to die and there was absolutely nothing he could do to protect her. There’s something special about the bond that a dad has with his daughter(s).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I saw Jim Gray on Fox News, and I didn’t realize he is a long time friend of Koby’s family, and held Koby as a baby. He was distraught needless to say.

11:07 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

My daughter showed me actual cell phone video on her phone last night that was reportedly the copter going down and exploding. Absolutely horrible. I don’t know if that was corroberated as the actual crash instead of something out, but it appeared that the copter was actually on fire on the way down. That would point towards some kind of fire or mechanical failure on board versus a weather or visibility issue. News reports said that the fire was so hot that much of the evidence was destroyed. Absolutely horrible.

11:23 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

rcf I read that it crashed into a mountain due to low visibility, not seeing that it was on fire first. They are also saying they can’t get to a lot of the wreckage for recovery due to rough terrain and so many people trying to get out to the sight. There is just so much we don’t know at this point, I think there will be a lot of misinformation passed around until they actually retrieve the black box.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think helicopters are required to have a black box. Don’t know why they’re called black boxes; they’re actually orange.

11:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

The pictures that I saw of the wreckage site actually make it look very accessible. In fact, it appears that it crashed on some kind of path or road.

Like I said, I have no idea if what she had on her phone was the actual helicopter or some other crash that someone posted up there to get hits.

1:49 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

This is where I got my info: it says “But gathering evidence and recovering the bodies from the wreckage will be difficult. The chopper crashed in rugged terrain, and the limited roads to access the site have been flooded with onlookers, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.” Also, “Searching for a data collection device in the charred wreckage is one of the next steps, said Dan Deutermann, a consultant for aviation risk management company The Squadron. ” ok, doesn’t say black box, data collection box

1:54 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

rg, as far as terminology, this is what wiki has to say (take it for what it’s worth)
      The term “black box” was a World War II British phrase, originating with the development of radio, radar, and electronic navigational aids in British and Allied combat aircraft. These often-secret electronic devices were literally encased in non-reflective black boxes or housings.
      By 1967 when flight recorders were mandated by leading aviation countries, the expression had found its way into general use: “These so-called ‘black boxes’ are, in fact, of fluorescent flame-orange in colour.”[26] The formal names of the devices are “flight data recorder” and “cockpit voice recorder”. The recorders must be bright orange, to make them more visually conspicuous in the debris after an accident.[27]

3. TrueBluePhil
    10:14 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Let’s hear how Socialism is the best form of government there is. You guys are nothing hacks for them.

10:26 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Haven’t ever heard Matt say that. I have never said that. But completely unfettered capitalism can be a bad thing too. There is a reason that antitrust laws were enacted in the past. And by the way, the fact that taxes are collected to build roads, support the infrastructure and the military is all technically a form of socialism.

Damn, on a day after we lost Kobe, I sure wasn’t planning to talk about politics. Thanks.

• StuckinLville
      10:48 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Matt doesn’t have to say that. He obviously believes in it by supporting people like her. And it’s not socialism when you are spending out money that is benefiting you. When you are spending out money because people want “free” things, that’s socialism.

• The Big Lebowski
      2:05 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

” And by the way, the fact that taxes are collected to build roads, support the infrastructure and the military is all technically a form of socialism.”

Um……no. It is not “technically a form of socialism”.

Rome built roads. Rome had a standing Army. Rome collected taxes. Rome built infrastructure.

Rome fell over 1,000 years before Marx and Engels crawled out of their hole and cursed the world with socialism and the murderous lunacy of the Communist Manifesto.

“Like totally dude…roads are, like, totally, like socialism dude. You know. Like. Totally. Dude!”

• The Big Lebowski
      2:07 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

“When you are spending out money because people want “free” things, that’s socialism.”

Nah, that’s democracy or as the Founding Fathers called it Mobocracy.

Democracy and socialism are both fools errands. No Democracy ever existed which did not destroy itself. Inevitably, the people learn that they can vote themselves other people’s money.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ll just drop this here. JUNIOR. NICK. RICHARDS. !!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

And, can you believe he’s not high on the draft boards? Oh well, we will take Senior Nick Richards.

• Realme
      10:18 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

He’s the best.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I can’t imagine his draft status won’t change dramatically, and even more so if he plays like this in the post-season.

10:27 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

If he keeps stringing together double-doubles, I think he could sneak into the lottery. How many 7 footers have a sweet outside stroke like that?

10:40 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

One of these days, when he is in the NBA, we’re going to be surprised at how good he is at shooting 3 pointers.

5. OKB
    10:18 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Pocathetic

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:18 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

BBN will get in!!! I plan to be at Gameday Saturday morning if nothing happens. I plan to wear the t-shirt in the pic, and maybe the same suit jacket, so look for me. Ha!

I wish I could make one of those Fatheads with the same pic but that’s kind of pricey.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Hah, you going to rumble with the War Eagles? Are they War Eagles or Tigers? Maybe identity crisis.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m working on finding out who knows a secret corridor I can hide in to stay for the game too. 😉

Just kidding. AU bball is a hot ticket and season tickets are sold out. If I was confident ticket prices would drop dramatically by game time I would hang around, but I’ll just come home and watch on the tube (can we still call it that when flat screens don’t actually have cathode ray tubes?). They had empty seats for some of the early season games like Furman (the game I had a chance to go to but didn’t…grrr!!!), but not this one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:25 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Tigers, but their battle-cry is “War Eagle!” It does lead to a lot of confusion among those that don’t live here.

10:25 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

They’re the Tigers. I think it was Ralph Hacker who used to call them the War Eagles (like he used to also say the University of Indiana). “War Eagle” is just their “Go Cats!”

10:28 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

CG, when I was at the SEC Tournament in 2015, I wore a bright green ball cap so that my kids could easily spot me on TV. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

My Auburn alum colleague and I plan to go together. Here’s hoping he’ll tell them “He’s a COOL Kentucky fan!”

Remember a few years ago when Digger said “Listen to me! Listen to me!” Maybe I can get Bilas to do that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Green cap. Hmmm…

I’ll probably wear my Power K blue hat, but that’s a thought.

7. J-Dub421
    10:18 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Nick Richards is a game changer now on both ends of the floor. He was awesome on Saturday. Big Shot Quickley was also great. That was a tough win. I’m so proud of our team.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I jumped out of the la-z-boy when Nick hit that 15 footer…nothing but net.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:26 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

BTW, how about the way that crowd was swaying? Rupp crowd, take notice. This is how it’s done. And oh yeah, I liked Cal’s swipe at IU fans.

10:29 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

They love their choreographed crowd stuff in Texas. I doubt you will ever see the crowd for a blueblood school do stuff like that. Dook’s student section, maybe, but it’s only one side of the court, even though the camera makes it look like the whole lower section.

10:30 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

That crowd environment was off the chain. Even though they were cheering against us, had to be a fun environment. And yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath for Barney to ever give away free beer for the students.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

They were swaying because they were drunk.

10:32 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m picturing the dude who kept calling Cal “Coach K” to be Texas Tech’s version of “Helmet Guy”. 🙂

• Realme
      10:32 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Any time you see an IU fan (bizarrely) bragging about the Watford shot, just remind them they are disgusting.

10:35 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

speaking of IU…anyone see them blow the game against Maryland yesterday? That was hilarious. Up by 6 in the last minute and blew it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I watched the IU game. But I tell ya, I don’t want IU or Illinois in the tourney. I think IU hit 12 out of their first 15 shots in the 2nd half.
      The Big 10 or 12 or whatever is the best bball conference this year, and I bet we will get IU in the 1st or 2nd game.

11:06 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

As far as wins/losses go…doesn’t get much better than sending IU packing from the tournament, but doesn’t get much worse than losing to them in the tourney!

9. J-Dub421
    10:29 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

The officiating in the first half was tolerable. The officiating in the second half and overtime was gawd-awful. College officiating is terrible and gets worse every year. It’s just bad and is making games terrible to watch.

10:31 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I have never been so sick of charging fouls. I thought they were going to make flopping a point of emphasis this year. Have yet to see them call someone for flopping. Not one single time.

10:31 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I actually said out loud late in the second half that I friggin’ hate watching college basketball. And then my wife looked at me like I had two heads. lol

10:33 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

dang, Idk what’s causing my comment to be moderated. Even tried to word it differently but that didn’t help. Just bringing up the Maxey foul controversy (4 fouls, not 5)

10:33 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I think they should outlaw the “taking a charge” move where a guy just darts in front of the offensive player and stands there. That’s not defense, and it creates the contact.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen some warnings for flopping; I think they get a warning, and then if anyone else on the team does it, it’s a technical.

10:36 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sad that a coach has to help the official scorer know how many fouls a player has, and they tried to foul him out.

10:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I guess it was the word ScOrEKeper (spelled it wrong hoping it will go through). Just said now not only do we have to worry about refs, but those ppl too!

• Realme
      10:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

SO agree Clutch. The fact that Texas Tech sets a goal for number of charges to take is absurd. Yes, take pride in flopping, which is simply being dishonest.

10:39 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

now we gotta worry about ScOrEKeper too! Fouling out our player w 4 fouls!

haha exact same comment that won’t post, just spelled the word wrong this time

10:45 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t ever want to see a player get hurt, but when #15 slid underneath Quickley to draw a charge and got his noggin bounced off the floor, in a way I felt like he got what he deserved. I hate the charge call. I just want them to play legitimate defense. Let’s get rid of the charge (maybe expand the arc under the basket) and at the same time, stop calling fouls on the defender when he goes straight up, or is just standing there with his arms up. Those two changes alone would dramatically improve college basketball.

10:47 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I’m actually fine with exploiting the rules to your team’s advantage. I just think the rule needs to change. The one TT dude cracked his head really hard on the floor as a direct result of flopping.

• Realme
      10:49 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t respect floppers and am glad Cal doesn’t encourage it.

10:51 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Even as a Celtics fan, I still can’t stand Grant Williams because of all the flopping he did at UT. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

What was wrong with the Celtics yesterday? Stunk up the place against Ziahn.

11:06 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Key players with injuries right now. Jayson Tatum is an important piece and they don’t have him available.

10. StillBP
    10:31 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

IQ’s halftime shot turned out to be important! As soon as it left his hands my buddy started yelling “that’s good, that’s money”

10:35 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

It makes is especially awesome that they actually practice that. Remember when Brandon Knight would just launch one from wherever on the court when he got fouled?

10:36 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

haha yes B Knight was good at that

11. UKRox
    10:37 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Ksr curse again? You guys were talking about how great our back court was and then they flopped against texas tech…just sayin

10:46 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Welp, I guess someone needs to warn Nick Richards.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

You think Ashton and IQ flopped? Have to disagree there; Tyrese had a tough game; but, he was probably pressing…had several friends and family at the game.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Their offense was bad, but Ashton saved the game with a deflection and a strip.

• Realme
      10:51 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Maxey was having a case of going home itis and the other 2 did enough to win. People are too hard on Hagans offensively. He is running the team well and defending like a monster. I don’t care if he makes mistakes that hurt his individual stat line.

10:53 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Having Hagans on the floor is an overall plus, even with the offensive mistakes. We don’t even get to OT without him.

10:56 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

IQ had 21 points, including that all important buzzer beater 3 I mentioned in another comment. We don’t win without him. Definitely not a flop.

10:58 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

If you think the guards flopped, you’re only looking at the box score.

• UKRox
      11:03 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Maybe I flopped and used wrong verbage… possibly should have said…didnt have their best offensive game. I’m not being serious guys…just having fun with ksr curse striking again.

11:08 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

That may have been a flagrant foul, UKRox. The officials are checking the monitor and will make a call in about an hour.

11:08 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

KSR curse needs to flop! lol

11:11 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Be careful – using the word “flop” around here is fighting words.

12. JerryCat
    10:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Is anyone else hearing the rattle on the show? Listening on the iHeart app and it goes away during commercials

13. BlueFrank
    10:42 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Collectively 1/532 American Indian in that picture.

14. StuckinLville
    10:45 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Elizabeth Warren? Really? She’s the epitome of why we need senate terms limited. Her, Pelosi, Mitch, Mad Max, etc.

10:51 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Mitch is the posterboy for both term limits AND campaign finance reform.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Are Nick Richards and Leah Edmund the greatest UK power couple in history?

• Not Dan Issel
      10:59 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm . . . maybe, but don’t forget Rob Locke and Valerie Still.

10:59 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Were they dating? I didn’t know that.

11:00 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Nick Richards > Rob Locke.

• Not Dan Issel
      12:06 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

Valerie Still >Leah Edmund

16. ClutchCargo
    10:56 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Way to lightheartedly comment on a triple homicide, Matt. Just remove your foot from your mouth, own it, and move on.

• cats646
      10:59 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

What?! I missed something. What did he say??

11:02 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Some caller from Danville, IL called in and Matt said “and sorry about the triple homicide”, kind of joking around.

• cats646
      11:19 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow. That’s actually weird af lol. Why would he do that??

17. JerryCat
    10:58 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

If Hagans missed the strip, Nick was going to block the shot into the rafters. Check the replay

11:01 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

He might have, but the way the officials were making calls, I would have been worried that he would have been called for a phantom foul. We’re lucky that a ref with absolutely no angle to see the play didn’t blow his whistle on Hagans just out of habit.

11:03 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m actually surprised every time he get his lightning quick hands on the ball and doesn’t get called for a foul. He’s like Rondo in the way he can reach and not foul the guy.

18. serdi
    11:07 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Little History listen Clutch Go

Yes Auburn people say War Eagle as UK people say Go Cats

However, Auburn, once known as API, Alabama Polytechnical Institute, has been known through the years as Tigers, War Eagles, and Plainsmen.

A side bar, Mississippi State, also known in the past as Mississippi A&M, was referred to way more as Maroons than they were Bulldogs. It wasn’t until the mid-70s that they were officially always referred to as Bulldogs.

11:14 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Any insight on Ole Miss? It seems like ever since all the social outcry over the Rebels mascot hit and they abandoned that mascot they have had an identity complex. Black Bears, sharks, etc. What the hell do they call themselves these days?

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Interesting; do you remember the comedian Jerry Clower? Funny guy, and he played football for Miss State. In one routine, he talked about playing that University of Kentucky…”they had a football sewn on their jersey; you had to tackle every guy coming out of the backfield”.
      He also told about going to a snake handling service, and asked someone where the back door is. They said we don’t have one, and he said “Where do you want one”?

• Realme
      11:23 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha I like that snake handling one.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:24 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I think they grabbed the wrong presidential “candidate.”

20. Realme
    11:27 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Well we are clearly listening to the next pres right now.

11:29 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

As the saying goes, “if you can’t dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS.”

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that lady was serious.

• Realme
      11:36 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think trying to get her to make sense was Matt’s best approach. Should have had Shannon interview her. Ryan with the shake my finger was epic though.

11:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m really happy I was listening today and heard that and the following discussion among the guys. That was up there for some of the best stuff I have heard on KSR.

11:38 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

The Shannon rating thing is awesome! lol

11:40 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Is Joe Walsh on the ballot again this year? It would be great if they could get an interview with him.

• Realme
      11:42 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

That was the best thing Shannon has ever done.

11:42 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

This is why I get such a kick out of some people getting all up in arms over the “stick with sports” thing. These guys are obviously about as serious as a bunch of frat boys, and I am finding it pretty humorous.

How epic would it be if Shannon could get Mitch to shake his finger? 🙂

11:44 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

If a fart accompanied that finger shake, I might have a mental breakdown right there on the spot.

21. tmcclan16
    11:46 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t she related to Kobe? Loosing respect for this show quickly. Keep your douche bag democratic politics off the show.

11:49 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Lighten up, Francis.

1:56 pm January 27, 2020 Permalink

also, it’s “losing respect” unless your respect is really loose

22. runningunnin.454
    11:47 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Anyone see Josh Allen block the PAT yesterday? He got a big thrill out of that.

11:50 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t get to see the Pro Bowl. Glad he got to show his stuff.

11:55 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I love football, but I can’t watch the pro bowl and stay awake.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:51 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Is anyone surprised that it now looks like parental influence had something to do with Whitney’s decision to quit the team? Sad.

11:57 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m a little surprised that the parental influence played as much a part as it now seems. If that’s the case, I wish him the best of luck overcoming that.

• Realme
      11:58 am January 27, 2020 Permalink

Very frustrating. Don’t be a Lavar Ball and ruin your child’s future for your own selfish reasons.