KSR Show Thread 1/25: KSR is at Kentucky Branded!

Matt Jones and the KSR Crew are LIVE on remote at the Kentucky Branded behind Fayette Mall giving away tickets to watch Kentucky play Kansas at Rupp Arena and so much more.  A wise person would make their way to Kentucky Branded ASAP.  If you can’t make it, there’s plenty of other ways to listen.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

89 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/25: KSR is at Kentucky Branded!

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Cats only had 18 points at half last night; they were covering Maci like a blanket and I said they need to run some screens for her. OR, they could just get the ball to Taylor Murray…what a 2nd half performance; 19 points.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:08 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Too bad Ja Morant had that ankle injury early in the game. He played through it, but it definitely took the spring out of his step.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Did Murray lose? They were down when I briefly watched part of the game.

11:27 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Lost by 13 or 14. I don’t think Morant has the support that Isaiah Cannon and Cameron Payne had.

3. Ahhh, Fayette Mall. I remember when that joint was built and it made Turfland Mall look antiquated. Is Turfland still there?

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s been gone for about 10 years or so, I think.

• Realme
      10:15 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s medical offices and stuff like that now. And Lexington Mall is a satellite campus of Southland Christian Church, if you didn’t know that.

• Ha. The older mall where my parents live became a medical plaza like that.

Which one was Lexington Mall? Was it one of the outdoor shopping centers? I remember going a lot to a shopping center that I think was right off Winchester Road (or “WIN-chestah! WIN-chestah! WIN-chestah!” as Realme’s favorite vaping circus barker says it) somewhere I believe. I think we bowled at an alley there too.

• Realme
      10:31 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

No it was the third mall on Richmond Road, I don’t know dates or anything. And I’ll let that other part slide, just this once. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Is Bella Notte still there? I used to love that place back in the day.

• 🙂

We left Lexington for GA in 1975, so if it was built before that we probably went there. It’s hard to remember for sure.

“Thank you Realme for another trip down amnesia lane.”
      *Paraphrased from Mr. Keating in “Dead Poet’s Society”

Seriously, I need to make it back soon.

10:36 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Bella Notte is on Nicholasville Rd. near Applebee’s. Still a really good place to eat.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

That’s good to know. I was bummed when thy closed DeSha’s downtown. Bella Notte was a good date night place, good Italian food.

• Realme
      10:42 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I decided to see if I am capable of doing intermittent fasting, and can’t eat until noon today. And now I am thinking about that bread with the herbs & olive oil and drooling.

• spincr4hire
      1:23 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Intermittent fasting is tough. Started it last Monday. Black coffee is your friend

10:47 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Bella is good Italian food, reasonably priced, great atmosphere and they have the room with the fireplace that’s really nice this time of year.

10:54 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Uh, Realme…New Year’s resolutions have expired; at least, mine have.

• Realme
      10:57 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha. This is the first day. I just want to see if I can go a week with only eating during an 8 hour window. May not last past tonight, we’ll see.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, their bread was always so good.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Felt bad about Ja Morant last night; Danny Ainge and other NBA execs in the house, and he sprains his ankle.
    Boy, Belmont is good; they can shoot, and their big guy can dominate the paint…would be a nightmare for somebody in the 1st game of the tournament…like Virginia; ha ha ha.

10:12 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Belmont beat UCLA, not that that is any great feat this season, but still.

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

That was going to be my first shot at seeing him play, other than the Youtube videos. He just ended up looking like a normal “good” PG last night. As athletic as he is, his court vision and passing ability might be even more impressive.

10:14 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Beat the at UCLA.

10:15 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

*them

10:16 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, he couldn’t elevate for his usual spectacular finishes at the rim, and he missed some shots.
      Took away his court speed, too.

5. Hey, quick question before the ST gets totally rolling about the game. I have a beef. Is anyone else bothered that UK has let the shade of blue we wear fade? I don’t think I really noticed it because subconsciously I thought it was just on my PC I guess. Then someone mentioned it in the comments some time ago, then I noticed it appears that way on TV too. I don’t know whey anyone wants us closer to UNCheat or UCheatLA blue, unless it’s Nike.

RG, didn’t we even wear more of a navy blue in the early 70s when you were in school there (and maybe even later)?

• Realme
      10:16 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I thought the away blue at Auburn looked great. Didn’t notice it being too light.

10:17 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I’ve noticed it. Back in the day, the blue almost looked like black on TV…very dark.

10:17 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s most noticeable in the women’s uniforms.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have the greatest color acuity, but it looks fine to me. It has been way different from the original school colors for a long time.

• Me no likey! The 80s royal blue looked GREAT, on the football and bball side. The Claiborne era unis with the Power K on the helmet & with the Cat’s paw on the jersey sleeve, and the Sutton era unis with the Nike dunks & with the multi-colored Cat’s face on the front of the left pant leg were both on *insert 3 fire emojis here*!!!

• I will admit Realme that they did look good at Auburn.

10:26 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I’m not talking about the blue travel uni’s, but the numbers, trim, and KENTUCKY on the white uni’s were very dark…darker than Duke’s. And I’m not talking about black/white TV, so no smarta$$ remarks, please.

• Haha! Hey, we had b & w for several years before we got color. Even in 78 I watched the championship on a 13 inch b & w in the back bedroom because no one else wanted to watch the game. We were back in Lexington for a visit from GA, and I still have the special big pullout section the Herald-Leader did the next day. However, my t-shirt that I used for their “The Goose Was Loose” iron on is long gone.

• Realme
      10:32 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I don’t want anything as dark as Duke colors. Didn’t we originally have a splash of yellow in there? RG, that’s a question for you. Just kidding.

10:35 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

No one else wanted to watch the game? Wow.

• Realme, I have read that yes, the yellow was there originally. If so, I don’t know when they dumped it. I guess it kind of came back with the late 80s logo with the Cat leaning over the UK interlock. I don’t care for that logo as much as the ones earlier than that. I really like the one on the bball shorts that I mentioned.

10:38 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Realme for the JK…you’re right, but a young fella like me would not remember that.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t born yet in 1978. Ha ha! As far as the blue goes, I thought we were always a royal blue.

• No kidding RG. Some of my fam are not huge sports fans, but my dad is. He must have had to go somewhere that night because I can’t imagine he wouldn’t have been watching with me. He still follows the Cats.

Anyway, I remember the feeling when James Lee sealed the game with that dunk. I wasn’t watching in HD but it didn’t matter. Awesome game.

• Realme
      10:44 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Watched the 97 and 98 final fours on a 13 inch tv with my future husband. Did have color at least.

10:51 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Chris, remember we were up 14 on Dook, and Joe B put the subs in a little too soon, and they cut it to four points? Oops, had to put the starters back in. Then came the Lee dunk.

• J-Dub, you haven’t live until you’ve watched a national championship game on a 13 inch black & white, from about 5 inches away.

“And we liked it!”

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

cg, that is true. I would also say you haven’t lived until you have watched game 7 of the 1990 World Series in the stands of LSU’s stadium, on one of those little portable antenna TVs, during a UK/LSU game. I was in the marching band at the time, and we went to LSU that year. No way I was missing that WS game, so I found a way to watch it.

11:02 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I remember listening to the Texas Western game on the radio because we couldn’t get it on TV. That was a sad day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

There were no smart devices or streaming back in those days, young’uns!

11:07 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Ugh, I watched the Texas Western game…it wasn’t any better on TV. Odd, they won a title, and then changed their name so officially, UTEP has not won any titles.

11:09 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

My memory is not as good as yours runnin, but weren’t some of Kentucky’s players sick with the flu that game?

11:12 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, Larry Conley had the flu, and Pat Riley had a boil on one of his toes.
      What irks me about that game is that they made that movie, Glory Road. The stole that from Rupp’s farewell address when he thanked all those that had traveled down the glory road with him.

• Clutch, are you sure that was 1990? That was the year our Reds crushed the supposedly unbeatable As in 4, no?

11:15 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never watched that movie and I never will. From what I understand facts are optional in that movie.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I listened to games on the radio during the probation years in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

11:19 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I watched it; it wasn’t too bad. They had some stuff in it portrayed Rupp as a racist; but, Jon Voight told them his research didn’t support that, so they took it out.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

cg, it was definitely 1990. And yes, they took down the Fightin’ Steroid Users/A’s in 4 games. It’s pretty easy to remember all the Reds’ WS titles in my lifetime. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      11:36 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I see what you mean now, cg. I think of it as game 7, but it was really game 4 of the sweep. Doh!

• Clutch, we won 2 close games and 2 laughers in that one. We beat up on the mighty Dave Stewart in the first game.

11:38 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I was raised in the country and we only got 3 channels on a good night, had to go outside to turn the antenna to improve the reception, some of you will remember when you also had to adjust the vertical and horizontal hold….maddening.

• Vertical hold not working was the worst.

6. Realme
    10:51 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Remember when Matt said he had Dusty’s journal and would feature excerpts on KSR? That would have been awesome.

• I remember one snippet being posted. I don’t remember anything after that.

• Realme
      11:13 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Oh I missed the one.

• Several folks in the comments were tough on his writing as I recall. Maybe that’s why they ditched it.

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I would love to hear stories from the players on the team during the BCG years, Pat-man, Jorts, Jodie, etc. have got to have some horror stories.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I feel bad for the guys who had to deal with that weirdo as a coach. The ones who were around in Tubby’s last couple of years and the 2 years of BCG must think being on the UK basketball team is way overrated.

• Same J-Dub. Sometimes 84 and/or 1530 come in like they’re next door at night. I used to listen to Van Vance’s talk show, then Tony Cruise, then Lach, when it was dark early enough in the evening. Now you can stream everything, but I still like playing with AM radio at night to see what I can pick up. Fascinating.

11:23 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

nfl.com has one and two reversed, I’d love to see Josh go number one, that would be huge.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Josh should go #1, and any team who passes on him will be sorry in the long run.

11:30 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

That would be SWEET. Hard work, and coming back for another year pays off…are you listening, basketball guys?

11:35 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

I have a feeling the combine is going to be most beneficial to Josh, such a high character young man too.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Scouts will salivate over Josh at the combine. He’ll test off the charts. He’s a monster (I mean that as a compliment).

7. I was busy yesterday but read the ST later. I saw where some of y’all were joking about dudes with red hair, and someone brought me up, but I am not the real CG, only the one who pays tribute where tribute is due to the original victory cigar (as far as I know). 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, you will always have red hair in my mind’s eye, just like the real CG. And J-Dub and Realme will always picture me looking like Tim Tebow. 😀

11:55 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Or Tim Allen?

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

😀

8. J-Dub421
    11:48 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

My wedding gown was $1,100. It was gorgeous.

11:53 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Alice Blue Gown? That song was inspired by Teddy Roosevelt’s daughter, and her favorite gown.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Oh sweet Jesus, I was blessed with two daughters and I am just shaking at the thought of paying for weddings for both of them. Hell, prom dresses are bad enough. Shouldn’t I get a bigger tax deduction for raising girls instead of boys? 😉 (Apologies to those who paid for their own weddings – like J-Dub, I suspect.)

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

And maybe I will get lucky and my daughters will want to wear their mom’s wedding gown. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Start saving RCF. That dress was one of the cheaper parts of my wedding. I split paying for mine with my parents, but I’m an only child.