KSR Show Thread 1/23: Turn on that radio!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss all the happenings in the sports world and get you ready for Saturday’s game vs. Texas Tech. And oh yeah, they leave for Iowa on Saturday.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

56 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/23: Turn on that radio!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Hot from the Memphis Tigers men’s basketball account, “maybe play basketball, this streetball ain’t gettin’ it done”.
    Tulsa 80, Memphis 40.

• Realme
      10:03 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Yes but they have the no Wiseman excuse for not going 40-0 or whatever Penny promised.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Who knows, maybe they would have won the natty. Too bad Penny forgot he couldn’t pay his players.

10:16 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

So I take it that the wheels are coming off the Penny Hardaway bandwagon?

10:34 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Realme, we had the No Nerlens Excuse back in 2013, but that didn’t work for us. I am giving Mempiss absolutely no slack just because Wiseman wised up.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Ya hate to see it.

11:17 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

If work is slow today and I get bored I might have to saunter over to the Mempiss message boards for some free entertainment. 🙂

• Realme
      11:19 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

K, please report back.

2. Realme
    10:05 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Can anyone explain Drew’s Twitter last night? Tons of people tweeting (mostly joking) about how much they’ll miss Drew, and Drew saying he’s not leaving KSR. I couldn’t figure out how it all started.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:09 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Maybe there was one of those ads like you see on lots of sites, including KSR, that show a celebs pic and the caption says “We’re going to miss her” or something like that to imply that she’s dead when she’s not.

3. Realme
    10:11 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

So there was an article explaining the crying State Senator last night. He was the one trying to do a bill giving police more leeway to detain people.

• ClutchCargo
      10:58 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Wonder how hard he would cry if he was detained for no reason.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m of the opinion that we have enough laws. Police arrest pedophiles, and some judges let them go. Enforce the laws we have, and stop limiting our freedoms.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

^^^Hear…….HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Realme
      11:25 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

What Chris said. Some judges are egregiously bad, and have about the same amount of accountability as a college basketball official.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Random thoughts:
    1) A pic from the WLAP studio but the link is for WKJK? (chin rubbing emoji)
    2) So is the Zion clock finally off ESPN? Local host this morning who doesn’t even watch the NBA was talking about that clock. He did watch some of the game because he’s a Saints fan and SORT of a Pelicans fan, as much as you can be for someone who doesn’t care for pro ball.

• Realme
      10:13 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Well they use both studios…
      So was Zion’s debut as miraculous as anticipated? Did he heal the sick during halftime?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I always forget that Matt’s in in Lville and Ryan are in Lexington. Is that the setup? That would seem weird to hardly ever be in the studio together and act like you are.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

If Zion leads the Pelicans to a championship then I guess you could say he raised the dead seeing as how they didn’t surround Davis with enough talent to seriously challenge for one.

• Realme
      10:29 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Shannon is always in Louisville, Ryan and Drew Lexington, Matt goes back and forth (has homes in both places).

10:37 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I think Zion had 22 points and about 10 rebounds. Yeah, not a bad line for a debut, but I would like to go back and see what LeBron or Kobe had for their debuts. Or A.D.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:04 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

ESPN had a piece saying there was still a chance for Zion to win RPOY even though he’s missed half the season. Maybe K can pay for that too.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:05 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, the Pelicans lost even with the Zion the savior.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:15 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

STILLBP, if you’re lurking out there, this video is for you since you’re a Great Dane person:

“Friendship Between Great Dane And Deer Lasting Years – Animal Odd Couples – Real Wild”

I’m a sucker for ANY video of animal odd couples.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Any of the odd couple videos…

10:22 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Well, they are about the same size, right? Last summer I was walking our own horse, “Maggie”, and we came across a herd of deer over in a neighbor’s yard. When she saw them she immediately went into a “play stance”, with her chest down and rear end high and tail wagging. I told her that I didn’t think those “tall doggies” were interested in playing with her. 🙂

• StillBP
      10:23 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

haha I was lurking! Thanks for the link, I loved it…of course! Danes are the absolute best! (I know, everyone thinks their breed is the best…and they’re right!)

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:26 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I would actually love to have a Dane.

I saw a video on Facebook about a little girl and a Dane. The dog is I think deaf and blind, and the girl has some disability and they are extremely close. If I find it on YouTube I’ll post it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

10:30 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

One of the HS volleyball families has TWO Danes. I don’t know how they afford to feed both of them!

• StillBP
      10:58 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Danes have incredible personalities. They can be too much at times, but if you love them, you LOVE them! I help run a Dane rescue, so lots of my friends have Danes, some have more than 1. One of my friends has 4. I’m in a Dane Fb group and there are people with 5 of them. I can’t imagine how much they spend on food and how big their house is. Also, Danes crave attention, so I can’t imagine the time spent giving them attention!

chris, if you decide you definitely want one some day, let me know! I’d love for you to adopt from my rescue, but I won’t get my feelings hurt if you take another route. But I would have some advice if you want to go through a breeder, just about picking the right one or share my knowledge of breeders in KY.

• Realme
      11:05 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I make fun of people who prefer Shitzus and other small dogs for having barking cats, so if you’re gonna be a dog person, go big!

• StillBP
      11:11 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I like you’re thinking, Rm. I don’t think I’ll ever not have a Dane, other than maybe if I’m old and incapable of caring for one. The only small breeds I would ever get would be a French Bulldog or a regular bulldog. I have a thing for smooshie faces!

• Realme
      11:23 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

French bulldogs and pugs are cool. I also like those things that look like ewoks.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Sure thing BP! We’re all about adopting. The thing is though, my wife is so committed to Goldens, as am I, but I’d love to have one of each! I definitely couldn’t handle having 5 of anything, especially with vet bills.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Do you have a link to a website for your rescue group?

• StillBP
      11:31 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

chris,

We don’t always list all of our Danes, though. We typically have approved adopters waiting for a match, so sometimes when we take a dog in we are able to adopt them out without listing them. So I usually advise people to go ahead and apply for no specific dog if they truly want to adopt, then that way when your app is approved, you are ready for a match. If we have a match at the time, perfect, but if not, we keep your approved app for up to 1 year. People get mad when they apply for a specific dog and that dog gets adopted before we’ve finished processing their application, so that’s why its best to be pre-approved.

11:36 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I jokingly call those little ankle biter dogs “field goal dogs”, because I’m tempted to kick a FG with them.

We have a little demonic, annoying mongrel that looks like a miniature doberman living across the street. It definitely has the LDS (little dog syndrome), and Maggie just looks at it like, “hey, you’re not a real dog, so I’m not going to lower myself to your standards”.

I have always been a “lab guy”, had lab mixes all my life, but we adopted Maggie a couple years ago as a pup, and she has been the sweetest, most hilarious, and laziest dog we have ever had. Not sure about her heritage, although she looks to be mostly Pointer. When she was little we actually thought she might have some Dane in her as well – mainly because of the brindle patches in her otherwise white coat. If I could clone her I would create my own breed and call them the “Giant Nerd Hound” breed. 🙂

11:41 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Wow, looking at the dogs on your site BP, and our dog definitely looks like a “miniature” Great Dane. She has the exact same build and head shape, floppy ears and all, but she is “only” about 70 lbs. So who knows? Maybe I need to do one of the DNA kits to find out her heritage. 🙂

• StillBP
      11:48 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

rcf I love that they have the DNA tests now, very cool.

11:51 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

StillBP, looking at the list of afflictions, it mentions “bloat”, and says it is much more common in deep chested dogs. As I mentioned, our dog has a build like this. I guess we need to be real careful about limiting her activity after she eats. She loves to gallop around the back yard in wild abandon. My wife worries that she is going to injure herself running around the back yard like a racehorse.

• StillBP
      12:03 pm January 23, 2020 Permalink

rcf always a good idea to make them rest for an hour after they eat to prevent bloat. Same goes for putting them in a car….wait an hour if they ate. I still feel bad that I’m pretty sure I caused my 2nd Dane to bloat. I fed her, then a friend called and wanted me to come over, and even though I knew I should wait, I loaded her up and went to my friend’s house. Couple hours later on the ride home, she started acting like she needed to puke. WHen we got home, I could see her belly was full of air and hard to the touch. Rushed her to the emergency vet and she had surgery. She survived, but I spent $3,500 on surgery.

12:30 pm January 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m surprised that a car ride would cause this. Our dog just lays in the back seat when we go for a ride. It’s easy to forget that she’s back there.

What is your opinion of the pre-emptive procedure that they talk about on the site?

• StillBP
      12:56 pm January 23, 2020 Permalink

Car rides can cause it just due to the excitement. When they have a full belly and get excited, it can flip. Or at least that’s what is suspected. They don’t really know 100% what causes bloat but excitement/exercise on a full belly is a common factor, which leads them to suspect it as a culprit.

As far as gastropexy, they can’t say it prevents it 100% of the time, but studies show that most dogs who bloat have not had a gastro. Dogs who have the tack (gastropexy) very rarely bloat, suggesting the surgery does help. When my 2nd Dane bloated and she had corrective surgery, they tacked her at that time and she never bloated again, but I was more cautious so I can’t say for sure it would’ve happened again anyway. My current Dane is tacked, but again, I take precautions so I can’t say for sure if that has prevented anything. Actually, they can still bloat, they just don’t twist. The twist is what’s deadly, the bloat is just air that can be relieved w out surgery. But once the stomach twists (from the air filling it), they will die if surgery isn’t done asap.

• StillBP
      12:59 pm January 23, 2020 Permalink

Basically, I will always have the gastro done if I have to get the dog spayed/neutered. It’s easy for the vet to do at the same time. But if I adopt an older dog who is already spayed/neutered, I don’t know that I would spend the money or put the dog under anesthesia to have the surgery done. That would be a tough decision. I don’t do puppies, I only adopt dogs who are at least 2 years old.

6. J-Dub421
    10:30 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I would cut Memphis some slack if Wiseman was out injured or something, but not when he left school rather than sit out a few games because his coach basically paid him to go there. No sympathy when you shoot yourself in the foot.

10:36 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Penny is reaping what he hath sowed.

7. J-Dub421
    10:44 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Is Shaq’s kid even able to play? He had some kind of heart problem and had to have open heart surgery.

• Realme
      10:54 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I want to know too. And why is he transferring anyways? Because UCLA can’t do better than Mick Cronin?

• StillBP
      10:59 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

yes, he was medically cleared to play.

8. J-Dub421
    10:47 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Zion is good, but he’s not the be-all end-all that ESPN is trying to make him out to be. I also think he’ll be injury riddled for most of his career because he’s simply carrying around too much extra weight.

10:53 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t see him being another LeBron or Kobe.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

I looked in on the Zion fest at the end of the 3rd quarter; Zion had 5 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 turnovers. Then, he went on a 13 point tear in a minute.
      Didn’t watch any college games last night, they just were boring; watched old movies on TCM.
      My wife decided to watch Casablanca with me for the first time…after about 20 minutes, she said, “Well, here I am, watching the most beautiful woman who was ever born”. Ha ha.

9. J-Dub421
    11:29 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Glad Shaq’s kid is okay. Scary situation having a heart condition that young.

10. J-Dub421
    11:31 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

Delonte West is his own worst enemy. Apparently multiple former teammates and coaches have been trying to help him for a while, but he won’t let them. You can’t force people like him into treatment, and right now he doesn’t want help.

11. Realme
    11:49 am January 23, 2020 Permalink

No way those Jackass guys are in their 50s! One or two maybe, but most were younger than me I think.