KSR Show Thread, 1/22: Recapping a busy Tuesday night

There is no shortage of topic’s for today’s show, so tune in to hear everything Matt, Ryan and Shannon have to say about Kentucky’s wins, the brawl in Lawrence, Walter McCarty and more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

77 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 1/22: Recapping a busy Tuesday night

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:58 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I just went to the monitorโ€ฆagainโ€ฆand I saw no foul. I am ref. Hear me roar. It was just basketball players throwing basketball punches and basketball curb stomps. No foul.

• Realme
      10:03 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

That De Sousa seems like a real gem.

10:11 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

De Sousa didn’t fail to hit that guy with a chair, he just ran out of time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I get not calling a flagrant when Edwards elbowed Quickley in the chops. I don’t think it was on purpose at all so I’m not looking for a flagrant, but shouldn’t an elbow to the head still be at least a foul? Swatting at the ball and accidentally getting the guy on the arm is a “basketball move” too, no?

And yeah, DeSousa and whoever else was stomping at guys was awful.

• StillBP
      10:15 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t Ashton basically do the same thing later to Edwards? Elbowed him in the face and no T or foul was called?

10:16 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Dammit Clutch, you made me spit coffee all over my desk!

• Realme
      10:17 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Ashton tried to get someone with an elbow there near the end, perhaps payback? I didn’t actually note whether it was Edwards for sure, but seems likely. Don’t you think in his heart Edwards left those games thinking he went to the wrong school?

• Realme
      10:19 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Ooops BP already pointed that out.

10:20 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I saw Ashton do the “too small” hand gesture at Edwards after a play. I think there is quite a bit of history between those two from the AAU wars. I don’t think it’s anything bad – rather, I think it’s mutual respect and they probably have a lot of good natured back and forth outside of the games.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yep, Ashton did catch him with the elbow and Dykes said again it was a bball move. I don’t get it, but I guess it’s *kind* of similar to not being able to figure out what’s a block and what’s a charge.

10:21 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, RCF. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I joke about it, but it probably really did come down to somebody grabbing that stool from him before he got a chance to whack somebody over the head with it. How much worse would the story be if that had happened?

• StillBP
      10:23 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Real, as I watched Edwards go scoreless in the first half, he looked unmotivated and I kept thinking “He seems like he’s realized he made the wrong decision.” So I would agree with you. Speculation, of course, but that’s the feeling I got.

10:27 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Saw a FB post where all the Kansas fans were apologizing for him, and saying the fact that he picked the chair up and didn’t use should work in his favor – that he was just defending himself. ๐Ÿ˜€

• StillBP
      10:30 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Ha! It was swiped from him before he could use it.

2. Realme
    10:02 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I saw that ESPN thing where they are giddy about the Countdown To Zion. It’s like ESPN is doing a Saturday Night Live spoof of itself. He wasn’t half as successful in college as they predicted, why are they assuming he will be in the NBA? Do his parents own ESPN? I don’t get it.

10:10 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

It is weird, no doubt. Thankfully, I watch relatively little NBA on ESPN, so it’s not too hard to avoid like it was for college BB.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:14 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they’re promoting it like it’s the Super Bowl. A lot of people want to see him I guess. I don’t, but it’ll be interesting to see what he does (I’ll maybe look up his stat line on the CBS Sports app).

10:17 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

NBA basketball is a lot about the entertainment value, so I guess I get it. But the way ESPN overhypes stuff – especially dook-related stuff – is just nauseating.

10:42 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they were salivating all over dook again last night when they played Miami.

10:44 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

That might have been the first time I actually turned a game off because I just couldn’t listen to Dookie V anymore. Normally I just tune him out and keep watching if I’m interested enough in the game.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I heard DeSousa is a frontrunner for the Ron Artest Award.

10:18 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

• StillBP
      10:25 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking Bobby Knight would be proud.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

If someone had yanked Self’s hairpiece off, the fight would have ended instantly, because everyone would have been on the floor laughing.

• Realme
      10:20 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I have a confession to make. I like to make fun of his hairpiece, but I don’t really see it. Matt and them act like it’s obvious, but seems like a good one to me…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but Matt has said he’s seen him up close and it’s hard to tell and it’s the best hairpiece ever.

10:24 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I could see it being a weave or something, but it doesn’t look like an obvious hairpiece to me, unless you remember what he looked like before.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Obviously DeSousa should be looking at a multi-game suspension, but the other Kansas players who were kicking the guy on the floor should get at least that much.

10:26 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and it needs to happen before Saturday. I would be much more interested to watch UT vs a depleted KU team than have them put it on the back burner for a week or so.

• Realme
      10:27 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely. How much you wanna bet they assess the same amount of punishment to each team even though Kansas should get the brunt of it?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:29 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

SI.com has a good article on the melee, they hold nothing back talking about how Kansas has gotten away with so much.

6. 4everUKBlue
    10:24 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

What is wrong with Matt? Talking about how this helps get college basketball my publicity? I’ve tried to listen to him but I just can’t do it anymore.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Back to why we came here, I was very encouraged by the way Keon played last night, and Johnny Joo-ZANNNGGG looks a lot more confident out there. If his shot starts falling, watch out. (The Texas Tech game would be the perfect time for this to happen.)

• StillBP
      10:26 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m okay with Johnny sticking to short jumpers…his attempts at 3s are not good-looking shots.

10:28 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

His better play has coincided with doing the little things and not just being out there as a shooter. I think his shot falling will happen as he continues to gain confidence from his defense and rebounding.

10:31 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I have always told the kids that I coach that good things happen when you hustle.

10:32 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I think Johnny has good form on his outside shots. That three that he missed was just barely too strong.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Slow your roll there, Matt. I don’t think we are a FF team. But I think we certainly can develop into one over the next several games. We still have that annoying habit about letting leads slip away. We need to develop the toughness and maturity to make that stop before I will feel comfortable thinking about the FF.

• Bluehender
      12:19 pm January 22, 2020 Permalink

I 100% agree with this..they need to put teams away.

9. J-Dub421
    10:41 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Has this Senator ever spoken in public before? He sounds like a third grader giving a class presentation.

10. Realme
    10:41 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

What is this state senator crying about? They didn’t personally attack anyone (that I heard).

10:44 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like he is a De Sousa fan to me.

• Realme
      10:47 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

He sounds emotionally unstable.

10:50 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

What was the legislation that they were discussing that set him off? Gambling?

10:51 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Realme, emotional stability and maturity is obviously no longer a requirement to hold public office. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Realme
      10:57 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what the guy was responding to. That’s what I was wondering too.

• Realme
      10:58 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

And yes, neither is intelligence, basic human decency, or a lack of rapeyness.

11. Realme
    10:53 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I gotta disagree with the Don’t %^$# with cats recommendation. It’s a fascinating story, but listen to a Luka Magnotta podcast. Do not watch the Netflix doc if you love animals. It is so much worse to actually see video than to listen to descriptions. Especially if you’re a cat lover, take my advice.

• Realme
      10:55 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Also, the web sleuths didn’t solve anything in the end, the police just figured it out via their investigation, but they did draw some law enforcement attention to the case, and it was super interesting.

12. J-Dub421
    11:00 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Good game last night. It was annoying that we stopped playing defense for a while and let our lead slip away, but other than that we played pretty well as a team. I like having multiple players in double digits.

Nick continues to do all of the things on both ends of the court. Georgia had no answer for him. He was a monster.
    Ashton just loves to troll Georgia and torched them again last night.
    I’m so happy for EJ that he had a good game last night and seems to be building in the right direction. He could be a difference maker for us.
    Keion played really well at both ends and is really making strides and contributing. He could also be a difference maker (especially on defense).
    Johnny Juzang did some nice things as well. From here on out I shall call him J-Ju (nod to Bob’s Burgers).

• Realme
      11:04 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

It’s weird. We know by now that Cal will have the team improving, and that individual players will figure it out, it happens every year. But somehow I’m still pleasantly surprised.

13. J-Dub421
    11:09 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

As far as the Kansas v. K-State brawl:
    1. Kansas started it.
    2. DeSouza was absolutely going to hit someone with that stool. The only reason he didn’t was because an assistant coach took it from him.
    3. Both teams should have multiple players suspended for several games (a few should possibly sit for the rest of the year), but I won’t hold my breath.

11:16 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Someone else said that all of the Kansas players involved in the brawl will probably be granted an additional year of eligibility by the NCAA. ๐Ÿ˜€

11:18 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree, except I think De Sousa should probably never suit up in another college basketball game.

11:24 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

It’s kind of bizarre that he got mad enough to try to seriously hurt somebody when he was the one who started the whole thing. A non-sociopath would have just put his hands up and tried to back away from the whole thing.

11:29 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, he shouldn’t have suited up in his first college BB game either.

14. J-Dub421
    11:10 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Who was the one idiot who didn’t vote for Jeter?

11:26 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know, but I bet it is safe to say that he lives in the state of Massachusetts.

11:28 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Vanetti and Whitten were discussing it this morning, and they brought up that Jeter supposedly used to leave autographed swag for his one night stands back in the day. “Thanks for a great time!, Derek Jeter” ๐Ÿ˜€

11:30 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Baseball writers are difficult, to say the least, when it comes to HOF voting. Jeter was clearly going to get in with a unanimous vote unless this guy did something to prevent it. There is no accountability, so they do what they want.

15. Realme
    11:18 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Nate seems a little lost, hope he still gets to contribute.

11:21 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m thinking his years of experience, which made him look better early on, is starting to be overshadowed by lack of athleticism as the other guys find their way. He still has a role to play on this team that doesn’t involve being to go-to guy.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m honestly a little surprised that Matt is not a big ray Stevens fan considering his musical tastes.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:32 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

What’s all this hype about tough guys from the mountains bragging about being from the 606? I’m from the 606! The whole state was 606 when I was growing up! Ha!

• Realme
      11:34 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, we have more area codes now, it is definitely an Eastern KY designation now.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:35 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I guess back then I could have said “I’M FROM THE 40508!” I think that’s what it was at least. Haha.

11:36 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

The whole area code chest pounding thing is just goofy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I grew up in the dark ages before fax machines & cell phones (and now even more gadgets) forced even low population states like Bama go with multiple area codes.

11:41 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m a gangsta, 502 here. ๐Ÿ™‚ (Now where’s that Crown Royal bottle?)

• StillBP
      11:50 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

859 is the best because it stands for UKY

18. J-Dub421
    11:35 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

DeSouza probably shouldn’t play another game in college after last night, but I’m sure he will because Kansas. RCF is also right, that he shouldn’t have been playing in the first place, since he did get paid to specifically go to Kansas.

• StillBP
      11:53 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I just read some comments from Kansas fans and now I feel slightly better about our fan base. They were saying DeSousa made a decision to put the stool down…hahahaha. And that Dickie V is racist for saying it was criminal for DeSousa to pick up the stool as if he was going to use it…and DeSousa should sue Dickie for slander.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

I thought maybe Matt would give the “call of the day” guy some lottery tickets. ๐Ÿ˜€

20. J-Dub421
    11:50 am January 22, 2020 Permalink

Dude who thinks all gambling should be illegal should think about the billions of dollars and thousands of jobs the horse racing industry is responsible for in this state.

21. RexRox
    2:34 pm January 22, 2020 Permalink

Actually the whole state was 502 at one time.

22. runningunnin.454
    2:50 pm January 22, 2020 Permalink

Maaan, why did you people start without me?