KSR Show Thread 1/22: Get Ready for Mississippi State

A day after celebrating the win over Auburn, the Kentucky Sports Radio crew is prepared to get you ready for the game against Mississippi State.  I’m sure there won’t be any Starkville jokes made. Zero.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

60 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/22: Get Ready for Mississippi State

1. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Watched the UNCheat game last night; refs were Rooferee and Doug Shows. The opponents two best players were on the bench with 2 and 3 fouls the first half. I could have told the VT coach before tip off…bud, you got no chance; no chance at all.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

VT could have just forfeited and saved themselves the trouble. Those two are up there with TV Teddy for the worst.

• Realme
      10:13 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

That’s disgusting, but not at all surprising.

10:16 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Glad we beat dem cheatin’ bastids this year. 🙂

2. Realme
    10:20 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Vitale 2 games in a row? Maybe I should go to the game to avoid listening.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:24 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

He’s a nice man but he gets on my nerves.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Better keep Laura R. away from Dickie V…he’ll be stealing another kiss.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Solid plan. I just about went crazy the last game before my selective hearing kicked in.

• Realme
      10:26 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

He’s a great human being. I just want him to retire.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

That’s why the mute button was invented.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I wish him no ill will. I actually don’t mind it when he talks about the Reds. He is a fan from when they used to have their spring training complex near where he lives in FL, apparently.

10:30 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

The Dickster is entertaining to me in small doses. The emphasis should be put on SMALL. This is where it would be nice to have an easy way to simulcast Tom Leach’s broadcast with the TV broadcast.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I really wish there was an alternate channel for all ESPN games where you just have the crowd noise and P.A. announcer. I know they do that for the marquee games, but it would be nice for other games.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

This does you no good in the Louisville area, but the radio station in Bowling Green (95.1) has a feature where the radio broadcast is synched to TV. No idea if it works well, though. I almost always watch with a several minute delay on DVR.

10:57 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, yeah, we make heavy use of the DVR as well. I will often back it up to get a better look at a play, especially when it is a controversial call. So that would screw the sync up.

• Clutch, are you in Bowling Green? I have family there.

Who in here grew up in Lexington like I did? It seems so many of you are in L’ville. I know RG attended UK back in the day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

cg, I’m actually about 70 miles north of BG, but within radio signal range.

• Oh, and Clutch, you don’t suppose they have tried to sync their web stream up with the TV broadcast do you?

• Oh, and that was good quip you made that day about which Chicago political machine I share a surname with. 😉
      Although they still spell their name wrong!

I don’t know if you saw my retort (I often log out of the ST to get work done then check back late…I think that’s what I did that day).

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know this for sure, since I have never thought to check, but I don’t imagine they are allowed to stream the games online.

• I just Googled that station. “Goober 95.1”. lol

3. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Mississippi State went to the final four in ’96 when we beat Syracuse for the title.

10:55 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Yep – that was the year they beat us in the SEC final when Pitino sat Antoine Walker to send him a message. I think that loss set the tone and refocused the team. They were on a mission after that. As cool as the prospect of a 40-0 season would be, the 2015 team would have benefitted tremendously from a loss like that to release the pressure of an undefeated season and get them refocused.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:29 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

After watching a ton of videos on the NFL being scripted, rigged, fixed or whatever you want call it, I’ve decided I’m not watching this year. The Saints have lost on two highly questionable plays the last two years. Here’s an interesting one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvSjnbFRjKk&frags=pl%2Cwn

10:31 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I used to watch it just for the commercials, but they have become kind of stale, and now they release most of them on the internet a week or so before the game anyway.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I saw something mentioned the other day that they are now selling 8K UHD TV’s, and you can get them with screens in excess of 200 inches, so if you are buying something like that, then I could see how you could spend $3000 or more. I could never watch enough TV to justify this – sounds like that guy is in that top 1% and is just looking for something to spend his money on. 😉

• Realme
      10:36 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I could have a million dollars in the bank and I wouldn’t spend that on a tv. Especially with how quickly the price comes down on the latest technology.

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Give it a year or two and they will be reasonably priced. It’s expensive to be an early adopter. I’d rather wait a little while, save money and also get the model with all the bugs worked out.

11:00 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

The dirty little secret about the LED TV’s is that they just don’t last like the old CRT’s did. I have had multiple LED TV’s bite the dust. Usually from the backlight going out. They could build a TV that is fully serviceable with easily replaced LED backlights, but they would rather make them disposable so you will go out and buy another one. You see the same thing with computer monitors. Also, there was a bad run of capacitors back in the early 2000’s that led to a lot of failures. A part that cost less than a quarter was the cause of a lot of monitors and TV’s going in the landfill.

• 8K sounds like overkill to me. I might be wrong since some people want a screen the size of the old drive-ins apparently, but when I walk into Sam’s Club I think “Wow, that video/TV is clearer than real life!”, and that’s 4K.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Was listening to STD and Michael on Just The Tip this morning, and they were talking about who UK could play if they ever had a game in Memorial Coliseum. I think Shannon mentioned playing an in-state school, and WKU came up. I think that would be an excellent idea – make it a charity event, put students up close, and make it general admission. UK could use a tax writeoff, right?

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Actually, no. UK doesn’t pay income taxes. But it would be awesome to see a regular season game in Memorial.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t see UT getting past the Elite Eight this year either. I just have not been that impressed with Barnes’ performance in the NCAA Tourney has been average at best – yes, he had TJ Ford take him to the FF in 2003, but other than a coulple of Elite Eight appearances his teams usually exit in the first or second round. Hell, he had Kevin Durant and still got knocked out in the second round.

• Realme
      11:01 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I’m less afraid of them after watching some of their Bama game this weekend. They’re beatable. I do think Barnes is good at game planning Cal though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:06 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

They’re a good team, no doubt, but they have backed in to that #1 ranking by the other teams losing.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Tennessee is good, and I know they will get up for us because it’s a rivalry game and we hate each other. To me, Rick Barnes will always be the dude who lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament with Kevin Durant.

11:23 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Wasn’t BoB or one of the other trolls talking about how much better Barnes is as a coach than Cal?

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

That wouldn’t surprise me. BoB and cking have jumped back on the bandwagon, but are trying to pretend like they never got off and aren’t total fair weather fans.

11:32 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Those two nutsacks are probably bandwagon Patriots and Warriors fans as well. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I mean, I’ve kind of like the Patriots, because Brady is a smoke show and I appreciate a good dynasty as a life long UK fan. It’s hard to get to the top. It’s even harder to stay there.

11:46 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have any hatred for the Pat’s or the Warriors – I am just ready for some new blood in the championships. Same ole same old gets old for me. (Unless it’s the CATS! 🙂 )

8. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

CBS Sunday Morning had an interesting piece about Marty Stuart and his memorabilia collection of Country Music artifacts. It was a pretty cool story, and I had to think of Matt when I saw it.

• I saw a segment like that once several years ago. I think it was one of those Crook & Chase type shows, or maybe even one of the collectible type shows.

11:41 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

CBS Sunday Morning is one of my favorite shows. Almost always some interesting subjects on there. I usually DVR it, and if I am able to hit church early I will spend a leisurely Sunday Morning watching it over coffee and breakfast.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Do all you car guys on the show thread watch The Grand Tour? If not, you should. The new season just started and that show is hilarious.

11:48 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I have not – but it looks interesting. Looks like it is available on Amazon Prime – I have an account, so I might need to check it out. Problem for me is to find the time to sit down and watch it. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

They guys rip on each other constantly. It’s hilarious.

9. J-Dub421
    11:27 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Lol, Roy Williams said he has a better sense of humor than Bill Belichick. That’s a pretty low bar, Roy.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Will Dontae Allen be the next Darius Miller?

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am January 22, 2019 Permalink

Fingers crossed. (Allen may be more talented.)

11. Larry Vaught says “PJ Worshington”. I grew up pronouncing it like that too (and we “worshed” the clothes), probably because that was the way my mom grew up pronouncing it in the country.
    #KentuckyMemories

12:05 pm January 22, 2019 Permalink

My younger daughter is constantly correcting me for saying “worsh” instead of “waaaash”. I tell her, hey, I’m from Kentucky, it’s part of the South – all the R’s migrated down south from the Northeast. Up there they say Baaaah instead of Bar. Down south we say “tarred” instead of “tired”. 😀

• You can have a hat attack in Baston!

12:16 pm January 22, 2019 Permalink

I left my cah pahked outside the bah near the hahbah…

12. michaelb
    12:21 pm January 22, 2019 Permalink

I been to some big blue madnesses when they were in memorial coliseum… they didn’t start doing them in rupp around 2001. Showing my age with that one lol