KSR Show Thread 1/21: The Auburn win and “You”

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will celebrate Kentucky’s win at Auburn and what it means for the team moving forward. They’ll also go over the show’s homework assignment: all 10 episodes of You.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

105 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/21: The Auburn win and “You”

1. RealCatsFan
    10:01 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep, I am sick of the Patriots in the SB! How about you guys?

I don’t follow NFL that closely, so I had almost no emotional attachment to the results, other than being bored with the Pat’s always being in it. Mrs. RCF was rooting hard for the Saints and the Chiefs. She mad. 🙂

Great win by the Cats! Was at a VB tourney, so did not get to see a lot of it, but made up for it by watching the replay of it next to a warm fire with a frosty mug in one hand and a slice of Impellizari’s pizza in the other. Beer and pizza are proof that the Almighty exists and wants us to be happy. 🙂 And watching the replay of a close game like that is even better when you know that you don’t have to be nervous as hell.

10:03 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

After that Saints game it’s really hard for me to watch, it’s something like that every year. It should be the Saints playing the Patriots and not the Rams.

10:04 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The Rams Chiefs game earlier in the year was the most entertaining game I’ve seen maybe ever.

10:08 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I was for the Saints all along, love to watch Brees, but they got screwed big time.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

How do you miss an obvious PI and helmet-to-helmet out in the open like that?

• Makeup call for the missed face mask.

10:16 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Was the missed face mask call game deciding?

• RCF using the “She mad” like Big Board, but about his wife. Haha.

Big Board, if you’re reading this, that’s all in fun man, seriously.

• ukjaybrat
      10:18 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Iamheasyouarehe, every play is game deciding. just because a no call happens in the last minute doesn’t mean it’s the only bad call that ruined the game.

the facemask on goff could have led to a rams score. maybe the saints are playing from behind the rest of the game and the rams win by even more. just because a bad call happens at the very end doesn’t mean it’s the only call that coulda/shoulda determined the outcome of the game. similarly, if a player misses a shot at the end of a basketball game, it’s not HIS fault they lost the whole game.

• True Jaybrat, the ones near the end just always seem more glaring.

10:22 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Sorry Brat I disagree but thanks for the input. Saints got screwed!

• But there’s also the thing that some refs swallow the whistle because “the players should decide it”, which is beyond ridiculous.

• cats646
      10:22 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been for the saints all year. It sickens me to see refs continue to fuk their jobs up and have 0 consequences. Any other profession and you’re canned. Something needs to change.

• Swallow the whistle in the last two minutes I mean. If the players should decide in the last two minutes, they should decide the rest of the game.

10:25 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Jaybrat, I follow your logic, but when it happens in the late stages of a game like that the team that got screwed doesn’t usually have time to recover from it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

so lets say the saints get screwed with no calls the whole game. like 15 missed personal foul calls. but then with 1 minute to go, then they get a missed call on the rams and the saints win. are you crying over the rams because of that one missed call? or justified because the saints were screwed the whole game?

where do you cross the line?

yes the saints were screwed on that one call. but there were bad calls throughout the game, they even out. and guess what? The saints had the ball in overtime and still lost.

10:25 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Refs NEVER face any consequences. Makes you wonder who they really answer to.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:15 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

U mean the pick where the ball wasn’t tipped, just his arm, and the DB collided with the WR. That’s another missed call if we’re being honest. I will say him catching it while on the ground was pretty good play. Rams got screwed. Face mask calls, and hands to face, get missed all the time. A guy running down side line and gets murdered, should never be missed.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

they still had that chance to “recover” as you put it, in overtime and he threw a pick.

10:27 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

So let’s say I completely disagree with you brat, but again thanks for the input.

• cats646
      10:28 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Maybe they don’t iam. Maybe we all answer to the refs. Da, da, DAAA……….

• ukjaybrat
      10:30 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

well i was talking to realcats that time as you had already “dismissed my input” but thanks for your “input”

10:35 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Anytime brat.

11:55 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Crickets I agree with you, there is no way that call was missed, that was a decision someone made to not make that call, that was impossible to not see.

• ukjaybrat
      12:57 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

2. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:10 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

You don’t, you choose not to call it or someone does.

3. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:13 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I couldn’t help checking the box score of the duke game, not surprising duke got 31 FTA’s to VA’s 17.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I watched a game over the weekend, already forgot the teams, there were 60 total fouls, and 72 FT’s.
      Refs are out of control.

10:24 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Agreed runnin, the refs are ruining the game.

10:25 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Something has to give with the constantly going to the monitor to review every single play. When they can spend all that time and still decide that PJ needs a flagrant for trying to block a dunk, that’s really some BS.

10:29 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

That was hands down the worst missed call I’ve seen in a long time. There’s no way that should’ve been anything more than a personal foul.

10:39 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The dude didn’t do anything to protect himself and then landed awkwardly as a result. That’s not on PJ at all.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, and then he bounced up, ready to go at it. PJ would have been happy to knock him down…again.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I agree that the Sudden Death NFL format is not good. Comes down to a coin toss.

10:20 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Thought I heard Matt say it’s better than it used to be when you only needed a field goal. Didn’t the Rams when in OT with field goal?

• ukjaybrat
      10:21 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

i like it for a regular season games. those games can’t last forever. but in the playoffs, i like the college rules better (except maybe start at the 50 instead of the 25 – that’s pretty much already fg range for most professional kickers)

• JTHinton
      10:22 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The fact that Kansas City can lose a game in overtime without even getting the ball is ridiculous…

• Exactly Hinton.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep, both teams should get a shot, like college. The Saints had a shot; but, they had an interception with the guy laying on his back.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:27 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The team winning the coin toss can only end the game with a TD. If they don’t score, or only get FG, the other team gets ball. If first team scored FG on first drive the second team must score FG to continue possession exchanges, but a TD ends it. If first team doesn’t score, the second team only needs FG to win. I like it better than college, where both teams start in FG range.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Awesome/excruciating football yesterday. I managed to go down like the Saints and Chiefs yesterday attempting to shovel snow and scrape ice in the driveway.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

You fell?

10:21 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep. I was flat on my back before I knew what happened. Actually banged my head in the process. Kind of landed on my upper back, so that kept it from being worse. A little sore today, but I’m good.

• I hope you’re okay! Are you observing concussion protocol? Ha! JK. I really hope it’s just temporary pain.

10:27 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Glad you’re OK – that could have ended VERY badly. Guy I know lost his wife like that. She slipped in the garage and hit her head. Never regained consciousness. Very sad.

10:32 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

You’re lucky Clutch, glad you weren’t badly injured.

10:32 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

cg, now that you mention concussions, the setter on my older daughter’s team got beaned in the forehead by a hard line shot and is now out with I think her 4th concussion. Hard to believe a volleyball could do that. I got beaned so many times when I used to play, and never recall ever thinking I had a concussion. Of course, that could explain some things…

10:33 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s a sobering though, RCF. It just made me mad at the time, but it’s scary to realize people’s lives can change, or even end just like that.

6. Hey guys, a note about our favorite guy known as Mod Bot. The other day I got “Botted” for saying to Luether:
    “Thanks C-a-p-t-a-i-n O-b-v-i-o-u-s”. Now we know the problem. It’s Luether controlling the Bot!!! Haha.

10:29 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I would be easier to decipher the Google algorithm than to predict the ModBot.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Tyler does not look like a dookie like Matt claims. He is not nearly nerdy enough and his face is not punchable like the white dook kids tend to be.

10:34 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Tyler looks like anything but a dookie. That’s just a terrible take by Matt.

10:36 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s just plain disrespectful.

10:41 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Now I will say that Tyler would be a prototypical Wisconsin player…

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I think he’s quicker and more athletic than Wisconsin players.

10:43 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Apparently, Tyler would have also said that at one point in time. 😉

10:43 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

^ reply to RCF about Tyler looking like a Wisc. player.

10:45 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, that makes it all the sweeter that he is a Cat!

10:46 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Would be pretty sweet if we get to knock them out of the tournament.

• Realme
      11:47 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s exactly what I said Tyler looked like back when we were recruiting him. I got over it right away though.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt is wrong – Ashton was credited with 3 steals. I think that’s 7 in a row with 3 or more steals.

10:33 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

One of the announcers after the game said there was a missed steal by Hagans that would give him 4, just heard that but I don’t know.

9. I ask this from the heart: why does Matt always talk about not liking the white guys that play for Duke? I thought MLK said it was about the content of someone’s character.

10:35 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Those guys all tend to have questionable character, so maybe that’s understandable. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s because they have no role model with Coach K. I saw he told the Atlantic that Jones will be back sooner than expected. Yep, I can hear him now…”get out there, grit your teeth, and play through the pain…or you’ll be out of the brotherhood forever”.

10:43 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

You mean the brotherhood idea he stole from Cal?

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Cal says family; the brotherhood sounds like a B horror movie with Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, and Bela Lugosi. Coach K has a striking resemblance to Lugosi.

10:55 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

True on all counts runnin, I think it was Wall who called it a brotherhood, Cal does say it’s a family which does sound more genuine to me. K makes Lugosi look much better.

10:56 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Were Bela Lugosi and K ever seen in the same place at the same time? Think that’s a coincidence?

11:01 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

How scary would it be to be a dook player and suffer a cut that causes you to bleed in front of Count K. He would probably get a gleam in his eye and start salivating. 🙂

11:04 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

HaHaHa – rg, you weren’t kidding about K looking just like Bella Lugosi!

10. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Hmmm, Matt said “Dick” and “worked up”… heh heh. (in my best Beavis and Butthead).

11. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The mental image of Matt being hugged by a sweaty Bruce Pearl made me spit out coffee on my desk! Would have been even better if he didn’t have a shirt on with body paint.

• 206Bones
      1:49 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

I almost choked when Matt said he didn’t like it.

12. ClutchCargo
    10:54 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Those refs at Auburn were intimidated by the crowd. Plain and simple.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

HaHa!! Matt answers the phone and hears children, then gets grumpy. Imagine that! 😀

14. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

For those just following the thread, Matt just said he was surprised that the UK game had a higher rating in the Louisville market than the UL game. I was at my kid’s tournament, and they had both games on TV’s that were basically back to back with each other. There were about 3 people watching the UL/Ga Tech game, and a big crowd watching the UK game. This was in New Albany. (PS, hardly anyone was watching IU lose earlier. 🙂 )

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

IU broke into the Top 25; and, I think they’ve lost 4 in a row…oh well.

15. Chagan02
    11:23 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Can someone give me the link to the KSR post apologizing to the Cov Catholic kids? Quoting the real video, “Crickets”. Shane on you Matt.

11:26 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Apologize for what? Everyone handle it poorly.

• Chagan02
      11:38 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

You’re right. Everyone except the kids. They said nothing, exhibited no ill intent, and were just standing there. In the country I grew up in (and defended), that’s honorable. This site, the Media, the other protesters, and especially the school owe them an apology. Classic case of acting on emotion before you have the facts. Typical these days. Smh.

11:30 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt is addressing it at length on the show right now.

11:36 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

The kid got destroyed just fine without Matt’s help. And he owned it as a mistake. That’s better than a lot of people will do.

16. ClutchCargo
    11:25 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

My first thought with the first video was “there isn’t enough context in this video to really know what happened.”

• Chagan02
      11:38 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Bingo.

• Chagan02
      11:42 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

But it was apparently enough for Matt to feel he should tweet about it. Funny how they always jump to conclusions only when it fits.

11:45 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

And then he discussed it on the show today, owned it and apologized at length. I disagree with Matt on a lot of things, but I respect that.

11:48 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Yahtzee Clutch.

• I don’t agree with Matt on anything politically, but his words today were about as balanced as one can get IMO. Well done MJ.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

RE the Covington Catholic video – the real “villains” in this deal were the black Hebrew protesters who were trying to stir up sh!t with everyone around them. The kids were basically just being teenage boys in a large group. Yeah, you could see that they were kind of mocking the NA dude, but they were agitated by the Hebrew dudes to get them started.

11:35 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m just glad the other video came out. It pisses me off to no end when a little bit of information comes out and people just run with that instead of even trying to understand what they are seeing. Literally every single news story where I have personal knowledge of what happened, has gotten some of the facts wrong.

11:37 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, it is the festering political climate that we are in that is promoting this on both sides. And social media is the gasoline on the fire.

• Chagan02
      11:48 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. Well said. Although I’d argue that DISreporting is happening on both sides. Hence Buzzfeed.

11:43 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I get a little happier every time I think about deleting my Facebook account several months ago. For all of its useful aspects, antisocial media is a cancer on society.

11:47 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I deleted facebook account years ago and have never missed it. I agree with Clutch.

12:14 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

The main reason I have FB is that all of the 30-something and 20-something members of my family use it almost exclusively to make major announcements like engagements, weddings, births, etc. I get left behind otherwise. Wish it had a “politics” filter to just root all that crap out. I have had to put a few people on “ignore” because of all the post pollution. I have to wonder how they have time to constantly post all that crap!

• 206Bones
      1:53 pm January 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt is so used to stealing info and being first that he made a statement. He owned up to it a little today but still said 6 times that the kids were wrong also.
      Please run Matt.

18. Realme
    11:45 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Lol, hey y’all. I’ve been so busy sleeping in and loafing around I forgot about KSR.

11:47 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Slacker! You have a lot of reading to do now.

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I assumed it was a hangover. Hee Haw.

19. 30 minutes about a show I heard of about a day ago and on a channel I don’t have. Lol

20. RealCatsFan
    11:58 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt has spent 15 minutes talking about a TV show, and I have no clue what it is.