KSR Show Thread 1/20: Recapping a busy weekend

Welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt, Ryan, and Shannon are ready to recap a busy sports weekend, which included Kentucky’s huge win at Arkansas and a pair of disappointing outcomes in the NFL playoffs. Who wants to go to Miami anyway?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

67 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/20: Recapping a busy weekend

1. 4everUKBlue
    9:56 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Time out the refs just went to the monitor…

• Bluehender
      10:04 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

No kidding 4ever. I didn’t think they were going to let it end..

10:06 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I liked the suggestion by one of the announcers this past weekend. Give them 60 seconds at the monitor…if they can’t make the call at that point, stick with the original call.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I actually said that out loud right before the announcers started talking about it. It is ridiculous how much time is wasted on replay. Unless they immediately see something obvious enough to overturn the call on the floor, just play on. 60 seconds might even be too long.

2. Realme
    10:01 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Is there anything better than when your coach intentionally gets ejected, and the opposing fan base thinks they just won the game, but you know now your team is gonna win?

• Bluehender
      10:03 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I felt pretty good about it at that moment..

• ClutchCargo
      10:04 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want to bring bad mojo or anything, but it’s funny when opposing basketball fans act like they have won the game and it’s still early. Kind of like a lot of us UK football fans used to do…

• 4everUKBlue
      10:10 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Some of the commenters on here (VACat) believes Cal didn’t get intentionally ejected because it’s not logical.

• Realme
      10:12 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Not a single assistant tried to pull him back. That was planned. Or, as someone on my Twitter timeline suggested, maybe he had to poop.

• ClutchCargo
      10:14 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what Cal said or did, but that bald ref was seriously in his face just looking for a reason to throw him out. The demeanor of that guy was very unprofessional, if you ask me.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:14 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you Real, he knows his team and how to push their buttons.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

The ones who think that the assistants suddenly taught the team how to play zone in a couple of minutes during a timeout are a special kind of stupid.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

UL with the big win on Saturday…and it makes us look good. Once again, the refs were taking care of Dook; with 3 minutes left in the game, Dook had shot 26 FT’s to the Cards’ 11.
    The refs are just terrible…even D. Vitale, with one good eye, called the Arkansas foul on Quickley.

4. Realme
    10:13 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

More likely? Cal gives in and uses that zone or officiating gets better?

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Well, officiating isn’t getting better any time soon, so I’ll go with Cal giving in. But he will spin it as something as something that doesn’t look like giving in.

10:18 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

The zone is good in limited situations…like Saturday in the final few minutes in the game; the opponent doesn’t have time to adjust.
      However, if you play zone for a majority of the game, most college teams will hit 15 three’s on you.
      Another good idea, is playing different zones; switch them up.
      I liked Nick saying it was kind of like a man-zone…haha, yeah Nick, that’s a match-up zone.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Wasn’t there a coach in the SEC who used to run a kind of hybrid defense that they called the “amoeba zone” or something like that?

• CrystalBall
      11:22 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Think it was Dale Brown LSU.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:37 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Ugh. That’s how LSU bottled up Kenny Walker in 86 and beat us in the Elite 8 after we had beaten them 3 times that year. That’s another year we were good enough to win the whole thing but didn’t.

11:37 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, and Dale Brown called UK’s defense, “the karate defense”.

5. secrick
    10:16 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I think he did it on purpose. Loved the Zone. Big win on the road for us. Next coach at KY. Kenny Payne. Brooks played a good game.

6. zoupman
    10:23 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I wish TV wouldn’t show the officials looking at monitor. I believe part of the problem is many of these clowns love being on TV.
    It won’t change until the arenas continue to have empty seats and TV ratings drop. The top SEC executives really only care about money.

10:36 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely, some refs think it’s all about them. I especially like the hop, skip, and jump up the floor when they call the charge….bunch of showboats.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Maybe they could solve the showboating issue by making them wear paper bags over there heads. Would be fitting after some of the calls they make.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I posted this (edited here) on the morning thread (sorry ahead of time that I continue to rant about Carson Palmer’s knee…haha):

Sorry about your Titans Tyler, but all I can say now is GO CHIEFS! The 49ers have both of my Bengals’ rings, and they have enough rings. I’m also pulling for the Kool Aid Man to finally win one after all these years.

Actually, I will also lump the 2006 Steelers team in with those two 49ers teams. No, we didn’t get nearly as close, but we had beaten the Steelers once on the road that year, then they shredded Carson Palmer’s knee on the first play of the playoff game and went on to win the whole thing.

10:32 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

The Chiefs have a great QB, and their team speed is unbelievable.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

The Kool-Aid Man is great at developing QB’s.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

OH YEAH!!!

8. 4everUKBlue
    10:25 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Every so called fan who constantly complains win or lose should read bigblue2018’s comment about his wife near the bottom of the page here. https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/keion-brooks-johnny-juzang-pass-test-at-arkansas/#comment-2978258

10:36 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that puts it in perspective.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I’ve said for years that we’ve averaged 1 championship every 10 years (about 11 now) since Rupp became coach. It’s hard to win a single elimination 64 team tournament. I do think Cal has made some coaching mistakes that haven’t helped us and we should have minimum 1 more under him, but he’s the coach I want.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

4ever, that should be required reading for all of the idiots who come out of the cracks bitching after every loss. Vent somewhere else – the rest of us don’t want to hear it.

And every time I reply to one of them and ask me for a list of coaches they want to succeed Cal, all I hear is crickets.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:05 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

You’re so right RCF, that comment hit me hard and not just about basketball. I could feel his pain and sorrow.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:40 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I missed the post about his wife when I first went to the page. Powerful stuff.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Talk about parity, I think the #3, #4, and #5 ranked teams have all lost two consecutive games.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure all of their fan bases want their coaches fired too.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

You guys will have to fill me in on everything – I got to listen to the first five minutes of the show, and then I got stuck on the phone with a moron customer for 40 minutes. 🙁

10:56 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Moron customers should be limited to 60 seconds…like moron referees at the monitor.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I am very tempted to start crinkling a paper bag into the phone and saying – “Hey, I’m hearing a lot of static, I think we are about to lose our connection.”, and then hang up. 🙂

• 4everUKBlue
      11:06 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

You can always cite atmospheric conditions/sunspots RCF.

11. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m always kind of glad when a meaningless streak of something comes to an end. It’s embarrassing that Vandy fans cared more about that than the fact that they were getting crushed by UT.

10:59 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Hasn’t Vandy lost their prime time player for the season the last two years? That’s pretty tough. But yeah, streaks like that are meaningless.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yes they have. Guess they get the snakebit award.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I couldn’t understand why part of the Arkansas student section were wearing shark outfits either. Isn’t it Ole Miss who was doing the land shark stuff a while back? Or was it the “Rebel Black Bears”? #identitycrisis

11:08 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was Florida’s football coach, Jim McElwain, that had the thing with a shark?

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he claims it wasn’t him, but the resemblance was unmistakable. He must have a twin brother separated at birth who is a marine biology perv.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:10 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

WHAT?? UK Cheerleading didn’t win the championship? Their coach should have got thrown out on purpose.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

But Louisville Cheerleading still claims the title for “most shared homemade adult picture feature”. Not that I have ever seen it. 🙂

15. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt has it backwards. The Louisville guy was on the floor and started to get up.

11:15 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, but he’s right, the Dookie really didn’t want any part of that guy.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Looking at Matthew Hurt in all his douchey glory, I now see that UK had no chance of ever landing him over dook.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:20 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Fans were flipping out because we didn’t get Matthew Hurt and Vernon Carey and K couldn’t beat LittleBrother with them. Karma is a funny thing.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

So the McGregor fight lasted for, what, 45 seconds? Wow, that was time and money well spent!

11:18 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see it; but, it sounds like it was like the 2nd Ali vs Sonny Liston bout. Don’t blink.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:21 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t one of Mike Tyson’s KO’s set the record at the time?

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Seems like the last several PPV fights have gone that way. You would think people would start to get wise to it. What did they pay for it, $50? They should charge by the minute to make it fair to the consumer.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:25 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I liked the PKA kickboxing of the 80’s much better than MMA, there’s too much grappling to suit me. There was nothing but pushing and kicking in PKA, much for fun to watch.

11:34 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep 4ever, Tyson knocked out Joe Frazier’s son, Marvis, in 30 seconds. That wasn’t a title bout, though. Shortest title fight was 20 seconds, McClellan beat Bell in early ’90’s.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:42 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

I think MJ had MMA mixed up with boxing. Boxers can make those 30 million dollar paydays. I frankly didn’t know what MMA guys made until today.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:01 pm January 20, 2020 Permalink

The McGregor fight wasn’t a title fight was it? After watching the first McGregor vs Khabib fight I don’t think McGregor wants anymore of him. That dude is a bad mutha, shut yo mouth.

18. ClutchCargo
    11:41 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

UK football tickets are relatively affordable, as football season tickets go, no matter what section you are in. I’m ordering mine this week, and I’m super excited! I’m a cheapskate, though, so I’m going for the no K Fund donation areas.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:56 am January 20, 2020 Permalink

Every KSR show should wrap up with a Harold call. Nice!

• RealCatsFan
      12:47 pm January 20, 2020 Permalink

Damn, I missed it! Another moron customer on the phone for me.

• ClutchCargo
      1:32 pm January 20, 2020 Permalink

Harold says Cal needs to “sit down and quit hollerin’ at the officials and players.” If Harold says it, the idea at least has some merit.