KSR Show Thread 1/18: KSR is in Somerset!

KSR has hit the road. Β Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin are at Don Franklin Auto in Somerset (345 South Hwy 27) to prepare you for Kentucky’s Saturday afternoon showdown at Auburn and discuss Alice Blue Gown’s reunion in Manchester. Β Don’t miss it.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

114 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/18: KSR is in Somerset!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Watched WKU blow a 16 pt lead on their home floor last night; odd, the commercials on the TV network were half in English, and half in Spanish. Thought the Tops would be better this year.
    Disappointed I’ve only found one Murray State game on TV this year; especially since they’re so good.
    The Racers lost AT Auburn by only 5 pts, and Morant lit them up for 25.

10:08 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Morant is a stud. How I would like to see him in blue and white! Where was he ranked in HS?

10:10 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I think he was a 2 star.

10:11 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Hmmm, basketball version of Josh Allen? πŸ˜‰

10:13 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Yep; only one major college, South Carolina, recruited him. His father was a HS team mate of Ray Allen.
      Ja was an AAU team mate of Zion W.

• StillBP
      10:25 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Thank goodness he doesn’t play for SC, he’s put up 50 against us.

10:26 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I watched the Lady Cats get a tough road win without our two best players. Then I watched Roger Federer dominate. A good night.

• RG, are you sure you weren’t watching ESPN Deportes?

• StillBP
      10:26 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

*he’d

10:27 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Surprised he didn’t go to SC; Frank Martin must have glared at him.

• StillBP
      10:27 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub I’m bummed I didn’t realize the women’s game was on TV. They haven’t been on much this year so I forget to check. I have season tix so I’ll be going to the home games.

10:31 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

No Chris; it was called Bein Sports; I was so baffled by the Spanish commercials, I looked it up…it’s part of Al Jazeera. Never watched before; they usually show rugby, soccer, motorcycle races.

10:31 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Wow – wonder if we had signed him it could have swayed Zion to pass up dook’s duffel bag and sign with the Cats…

10:33 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I hopped on the iPad to watch the Australian Open, but saw the UK women’s game was on and caught most of the second half. I was nervous at the end when LSU tied it up at 60 a piece with about a minute to go, but we dug it out and made tough shots at the end.

10:36 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I couldn’t find the UK game; what channel was that?

10:43 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I don’t remember. It was either one of the ESPN’s or the SEC Network. I was on the Watch ESPN app.

10:48 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t ESPN TV or SEC network; I generally don’t watch games on the computer…I watched Georgetown College play for the national championship a couple of years ago; but, too much buffering and herky jerky.

10:57 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

The joys of having a hubby who is a systems engineer. I was letting him catch up on some shows I don’t watch that were on the DVR.

11:13 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, so he was watching “NOVA”? (I have to laugh, because I am a bit of a science nerd, and it’s one of my favorite shows.) πŸ™‚

11:17 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Oh, I love NOVA, we watch that all the time. He was watching Channel Zero, which looks interesting, but is very violent and gory, which makes it not for me.

11:48 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Last time I watched Nova, they were spanked by Michigan.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt in a road rage incident in McDonald’s drive through… Haha!

• Realme
      10:18 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Imagine how petty he could be if he wasn’t going to run for office.

10:26 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m thinking the thin skin and politics wouldn’t be a good match.

• Realme
      10:27 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

You’re right, but he’d fit right in with all the other public servants.

• He also hates kids and puppies. JK!

But he obvs doesn’t like kids.

10:28 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, these days it seems that thin skin and politics is the status quo.

10:28 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I missed the beginning of the show because I was in a meeting. What happened with the lady at McDonald’s? I caught that there was some incident, and she went up on the curb to go around him, took a photo of his license plate, and that Matt threw out an olive branch and bought her food to be nice. I just missed what precipitated the incident.

10:30 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I still say that having a life-size picture of this to hold up is the perfect solution to road rage idiots…

10:30 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Yep, it’s kind of the new normal for politicians. Really, the only requirements are that you toe the party line and be able to yell louder than the other person.

10:33 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-dub, the driving up on the curb to cut him off was what started it.

10:34 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

My own finger works just fine RCF. πŸ˜‰

• Realme
      10:34 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J dub, he was hanging back to see which lane would move forward first. She went around him, so he drove straight to the window without ordering so he could beat her. You got the rest.

10:35 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Why would you even want to drive up on the curb? You’d be out of order then. That makes no sense!

• randyt
      6:56 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Just pick a lane and go with it. So you might have to wait an extra minute if you choose wrong. Big deal! Don’t let these insignificant events ruin your day. Life is too short.

10:35 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

One time when I was in the drive through line at Chik fil-a, I was getting very impatient with the driver ahead of me. She was taking way too long at the window, but somehow I didn’t honk or gesture. I’m glad I held back, because it turns out she was paying for my food.

• StillBP
      10:37 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

hahaha he’s such a prick.

10:37 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

So Matt returned the favor and cut her off after that?

I had a lady basically try to run me off the road when she was merging onto an interstate. The fun part was that she ran out of lane shortly after that and the lane she was stuck in sent her back to where she was coming from. I laughed for about the next three miles!

10:38 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

People are crazy.

• Realme
      10:41 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I would argue that once people start to stack up behind you, it’s time to stop blocking both lanes and roll the dice. Not that I would drive on a curb to go around.

• StillBP
      10:44 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I hear a lot of complaining about those merging drive thru lanes. People are so petty I can see where there would be issues. Seems silly to me to hang back to see what line goes faster…If you’re standing in a line inside okay, but if you’re holding other cars back you’re kind of defeating the purpose of two lanes.

10:45 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Correct, Realme. I actually kind of missed that part of the story, but it explains what set the whole thing off.

• StillBP
      10:46 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I agree Real. Basically what I wanted to say but you put it together better.

10:46 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt should have just picked a lane, but driving onto the curb to go around is beyond the pale.

• Realme
      10:47 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

They bother me too, I always pick the lane that’s going to bog down.

• StillBP
      10:51 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

One time when I was in the outside lane at McD’s they took 3 orders from people in the other lane and still hadn’t asked for mine. So I parked and went in and asked if the speaker was broken. The worker was like “yeah it doesn’t work most of the time.” So I asked why they wouldn’t block the lane so people like me didn’t sit there and watch other cars pass them… they just shrugged. And as I left I saw 2 other cars sitting in that lane and I felt bad for them lol

• Realme
      10:56 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

On Thanksgiving we were hungry before heading out of town, and discussing whether or not McDonald’s would be open. We drove past, saw 4 cars in the drive thru line, and I’m about to go “Oh good, you were right” when I noticed there were 0 cars parked in the lot (so no employees inside). These people were waiting at the drive thru lane for a dark restaurant.

11:27 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Realme, that might even be more of a head scratcher than the time I went to vote (my kid’s school was the polling place, so obviously school is closed that day) and saw three cars in the drop-off line with kids already walking toward the locked door.

11:37 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

They live amongst us – alien visitors from the planet Moronis. πŸ˜€

11:46 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

They comment on KSR quite often…Moronis natives are experts on basketball and football.

12:04 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

To paraphrase the kid in The Sixth Sense: “I see stupid people. Commenting like regular people. They only see what they want to see. They don’t know they’re stupid.”

10:34 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Dang, that could be nice to have at all these volleyball tournaments I attend. Of course, one errant shot and I will be wearing my food!

• Put on a Depends and you’ll never have to leave the couch during March Madness. Haha.

10:39 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

cg, I kid you not, years ago I had a buddy who wallowed in his sloth to the point where he would pull his cooler up next to his couch during NFL season on a Sunday and park there. He also had an empty two-liter bottle to cut down on the bathroom trips. Of course, at the time he was a confirmed bachelor and spent his Sunday’s alone watching the games. πŸ˜‰

10:40 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Lol, One of my friends trained her daughter to bring her a beer when the daughter was about 4 or so.

10:42 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I was a proud papa when my older daughter was about 3 and she spontaneously turned to me on the way to the kitchen and said “Daddy, beer?” πŸ˜€

10:45 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Too bad my cats can’t open the fridge and don’t have opposable thumbs to carry things for me.

10:49 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

That’s what husbands are for, in my wife’s way of thinking.

10:50 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, you need to get you a cat like this:

10:54 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

RCF, my in-laws used to have a cat like that. They named her Mittens.

10:55 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

There’s the other problem of cats thinking humans are their staff who are there to wait on them and their every whim.

10:58 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

If either my husband or I have a cat in our lap, then the other person has to fetch beverages. That’s the rule.

• Realme
      10:59 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, cats think we are their poorly performing servants. I used to have a cat with the extra toes. Named him Tyson because his paws looked like boxing gloves. This was when I was a kid and he hadn’t bit off any ears yet.

11:02 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Dogs enjoy the ride; cats want to drive.

11:03 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

11:05 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Right now, I think my cats think I’m just walking heated cat furniture for them to sleep on.

11:08 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

HEARTBREAKING NEWS RELEASE: local cat has never been fed in entire life, says local cat. Details at 11.

UPDATE: sources close to the cat claim cat may have actually been fed four to six hours ago. These claims are still under investigation.

BREAKING NEWS: Cat was fed 20 minutes ago by the last person to walk in the kitchen. Cat claims fake mews.

THIS JUST IN: We now have exclusive footage shot by our News ad Nine chopper that confirms that there’s literally still food in cat’s bowl right now…

11:20 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Lol, that is definitely my cats. They are always on the verge of starvation.

3. minton22
    10:30 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Don Franklin Mita Beechy!!!

10:31 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I can’t see buying a car from a dealer who can’t even pronounce the name of it. Drives me crazy when I hear that!

10:32 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

You mean the kind that pronounce Porche to rhyme with “porch”? πŸ˜‰

10:39 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Although I have been known to drive a Shiver-lay truck. That’s less egregious, though.

10:43 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

“See the USA in your Shiver-lay”
      Old Dinah Shore commercial.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:46 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I had a Ty-ota once.

10:48 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Iam, you didn’t remove the rest of the letters on the tailgate to make it say “YO”?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:49 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Dang it RealCats I never thought of that! That woulda been to cool.

10:52 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

One of my college roommates drove an old Volvo. I had an alternate pronunciation for it that I tried not to use in mixed company.

10:57 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

My BIL used to say that he would never buy a car that was named after a part of a woman’s anatomy. πŸ˜‰

10:59 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Mulva? πŸ˜‰ (Seinfeld reference for the win!)

11:09 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Oooohhhh. DELORES, of course! πŸ˜€

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:10 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha ha!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:39 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I knew a guy who owned a Avalanche, but couldn’t pronounce it, came out as Bambalance. He was a Lowe’s store manager too.

11:43 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

“Bambalance” reminds me of the old radio recording they used to play of the drunk dude calling from a phone booth because he hit a deer, thought it was dead, threw it in the back seat. The deer came to, and started tearing up the inside of the dude’s car and bit him in the neck. So he got out and called 911 from a phone booth. Then a dog came along and tried to attack him. He kept saying that he “needs a bambalance”. Anyone remember this?

• Realme
      11:48 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I always say it that way in my head because of that guy. Hilarious.

• Realme
      11:50 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

4. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

We will not bench Keldon; but, I might start Nick.

10:40 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Would love to see Nick get the start, but hope he can stay out of foul trouble in a hostile SEC environment with the kind of officiating we have come to expect.

10:47 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Ashton, Tyler, Keldon, Reid, Nick. I think we should try this starting line-up.

• Realme
      10:48 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Agree about Nick and foul trouble. Why doesn’t EJ get more minutes? I think he’s good, but for Cal he’s near the end of the rotation.

10:53 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Vandy shot the same number of free throws we did (when we played them last weekend), even though HALF their shots were threes and we pounded it into the paint all game. Explain that. The officiating is consistently terrible and gets worse every year.

10:56 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, is Reid quick enough and explosive enough to play the 4?

11:00 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Not sure, but he starts games better than PJ, and I hope PJ not starting will light a fire under him.

11:11 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

JD, I think our last game was well officiated. Last night, FIU shot 40 free throws, and WKU shot 24. It was almost unwatchable.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I listen to Dave Ramsey on occasion simply because it is on 1080 after KSR. I do like the idea of getting completely out of debt, but some of the nerds who call in to do their “debt free scream” make me want to barf. And Dave gets a bit too preachy for me when he gets on his soapbox to rant and rail about the government coming after “his money” with all the taxes he has to pay. From the looks of the house he built south of Nashville, it ain’t hurtin’ him much.

10:50 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Rich people whine about taxes, but never think about all the things taxes pay for that they use and love. I for one like paved roads, functioning traffic lights, fire departments, law enforcement, public schools, public libraries, a (mostly) functioning legal system, etc. Having a functioning civil society costs money. If you really don’t want to pay taxes, move to the wilderness and fend for yourself off grid. That is an option.

10:55 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I love it when they whine about people who are low enough on the scale that they don’t pay any taxes. But would they want to trade spots with them? Nooooo.

11:02 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Can’t get blood from a stone. Also, those people still pay sales taxes when they but things, so it’s not like they don’t contribute any taxes to the economy.

11:04 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

99.9% of people in the U.S. are “rich” compared to the poorest people in a lot of the world. But I think the whining about the progressive tax rates is somewhat justified. Income tax should just be a set percentage of income, and with no tax credits or deductions. Then you just exempt the really poor people.

11:09 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Huge corporations really get away with murder re: taxes. Amazon paid 0 federal taxes in 2017 even though they’re a trillion dollar company.

6. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:56 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

So Matt only has one weakness? Wonder what he’s calling a weakness.

10:57 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Ha, according to Matt, his one weakness would be that he is too nice a guy. πŸ˜€

• secrick
      11:12 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s Radio.

11:32 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Or taste in music. πŸ˜€

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:37 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

As Matt would say “It is what it is”.

11:38 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Or taste in food.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:40 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Or taste in clothes.

7. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:11 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks Alice Blue Gown is a weird name for a band?

11:18 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

That was the name of a song from the 1920’s. It was recorded by Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, etc.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:31 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Still would not be in my top 100 names for a rock band.

12:01 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Do a Google search for the original name that Stone Temple Pilots wanted to use after someone else claimed “Mighty Joe Young”. Hint – they retained the same initials…

8. J-Dub421
    11:21 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Alright, I have to go to a meeting. Have a good weekend everyone. Go Cats!