KSR Show Thread 1/17: Looking ahead to Auburn

Good morning, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Drew, and Shannon will look ahead to this weekend’s game at Auburn, discuss Calipari’s generous gift to furloughed federal workers, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

60 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/17: Looking ahead to Auburn

1. I wish I could find tickets that didn’t cost in the triple figures for the game Saturday since I’m 45 minutes away, but oh well.

I didn’t get to listen much yesterday. Did the Dawgnation guy ever call to argue with MJ? Has MJ moved on?

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, the guy called; funny thing was that MJ thought he was a Georgia fan all this time; and, he’s a UK fan…ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Had Matt taken a moment to listen, instead of yelling at the guy, he might have realized that sooner.

• I thought he indicated the guy wrote for that site. I guess he could still be a UK fan but write for them since they sign his paycheck.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:12 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Matt listen, not yell? You’re just talking crazy now Clutch.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Lots of trolls on this site say they’re UK fans. I think it’s debatable.

2. Realme
    10:07 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I would like to start a standing ovation for Mick Cronin.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

***applause***

And if this backfires and he becomes the victim of many more heinous calls/no-calls… hey, it’s Mick Cronin, so who cares!

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha another “tough guy” referee; at least, this one took on Cronin…instead of huge Scott Padgett.

• Realme
      10:14 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, Clutch. Win win.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m guessing Cronin would be more likely to actually fight someone than Padgett would. A big guy like that would first hope to intimidate the other guy, while a little guy would want to get the first punch.

• StillBP
      10:27 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

yeah Clutch, also considering his Bearcats are known for their 2011 Crosstown brawl, that wouldn’t surprise me.

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:23 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

10-15 is reasonable and at our best we could match well with most except for D#ke and ??

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

You forgot to say D#ke S#cks.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Duck Fuke!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Did anyone hear Shannon and Michael discussing Scottie Pippen saying that Zion should shut it down, stop playing college BB, and just start prepping for the NBA? Although it might start a dangerous precedent, THAT would be the most hilarious thing ever! Would serve the Vampire well for that duffel bag drop!

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

ESPN would explode.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Actually, that WOULDN’T be the funniest thing ever. The FUNNIEST thing ever would be for dook to lose in the first or second round with this roster. There’s still a chance!

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Is there better NBA prep than playing for a high profile program like Duke? The G-Leaguge isn’t good, and the few guys who have gone overseas didn’t seem to benefit from it much.

• But he would have at least gotten paid in Europe or China.

• Realme
      10:48 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

We had a guy that pretty much sat out until the draft. He lost opportunities to show what he could do, and to grow and develop. Haven’t heard Jarred Vanderbilt’s name since he left. I know he had injuries, but Cal hinted through more than half of the season that he thought Jarred should be playing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, plus, at dook you get paid better than overseas or the G-league, and it’s totally legal in the eyes of the NCAA!

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

JV is still with the Denver Nuggets; but, has not been able to play.

• Realme
      10:56 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Is he still hurt?

• Haha. RCF FTW!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Yep, Rm; foot injury.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Yes, it would be intriguing to see Oklahoma play Bama for the championship next year, but with the players Clemson has coming back, not much chance of that. Maybe in the semifinals…

• I thought I heard on the radio this morning that Riley backed off from blocking the transfer to WVU. I can understand not wanting him to go to a conference team to a point, but it does seem a bit hypocritical since OU could very well meet Bama in January next year.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

OU got Mayfield in a transfer, just took Hurts in a transfer, and has generally grown rich from transfers in. If you’re going to keep taking transfers, I think it’s extremely hypocritical to not let a dude transfer out where he wants.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Does anybody think any of our players can make the jump to the NBA after this season? I just don’t see it.

• Hagans. I know he has no outside shot, but no one though Shai was going this time last year either.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

PJ will go. Ready or not, here he comes…

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

It’s too soon to tell. Donte DiVincenzo wouldn’t have been a draft pick at this point last season, but he blew up late in the NCAA tournament.

• Realme
      11:05 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, it’s never about “can they”, it’s “do they think they can”, and the answer is yes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Can you imagine how good we would be if everybody, except Reid, came back? And, I think it would benefit the players in the long run.
      We see flashes from PJ; but, if he can turn that on at will…he’s not giving us his all. Sad to say.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

rg, we say that pretty much every year! 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

True, that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

PJ needs to realize that unless he somehow finds a reliable outside shooting stroke this season, he is not going to stick on any NBA roster next year.

6. KYjellyRoll
    11:02 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I seen somewhere that hagans isn’t on any first round draft boards. Only one I saw was Washington at number 18 and Johnson at number 9 or something

7. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Matt is talking about the obit that the CJ disallowed because it originally had a line in it that the woman’s death was hastened by the stress of having Trump as president. I got a chuckle from it, but my opinion is that things that you cannot control should NEVER have that much of an effect on your mental state.

“When nothing is owed or deserved or expected
    And your life doesn’t change by the man that’s elected”

Head Full of Doubt – The Avett Brothers

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

That was a dumb thing to put in an obit, but the C-J was out of line to disallow it.

• Ridge Runner
      12:21 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

If that was the case, Hillary would have croaked months ago.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Wow – the incoming callers sound like they are on a cheap flip phone calling from Mars… Gotta love the high technology that is KSR!

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I just wish they would quit leaning on the buttons on the phone.

9. secrick
    11:24 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Don’t take this wrong i think Travis is a good basketball player but does anyone besides me think that if he hadn’t come to Kentucky Nick would be a lot better than he is and he is starting to help big time now.Kind of like how much better Hagans is now that Green left. Once again i am glad Travis is here.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

You certainly have a point – and Nick has a lot more upside at the next level. RT is a smart kid – he will make a good living overseas, and probably take his money and invest it in a business venture and become a millionaire that way.

• J-Dub421
      11:34 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know. Nick mostly just needs more experience and confidence in himself. He’s only been playing basketball for a few years. I think we need to switch up our big combos. PJ and Reid are similar players, same with Nick and EJ. We need to not play the similar players together.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Correct about Nick’s experience and confidence; another problem is effort; and, I think practicing every day with Reid has helped him there. More experience, confidence, and effort and he could dominate the paint.

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Also, on a teams with some fiery personalities, Reid always keeps a cool head. He’s usually the first one pulling guys back from a confrontation.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

RE – cost of obituaries – yep, I can absolutely attest to that. It cost us $850 for my dad’s obit. Since printed subscriptions have gone away, this is now the cash cow that the CJ is milking. The entire funeral ended up costing over $12K, which is just sad – and it wasn’t a “spare no expenses” deal. When I croak, I am doing straight cremation with no viewing or preparation. Scatter my ashes over Lake Cumberland, and my wife and kids can go on a nice vacation somewhere with the money they save.

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

My thoughts exactly, RCF. I have been to more than my fair share of funerals, and I want no part of being the guest of honor at one.

• Realme
      11:36 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

The funeral industry is disgustingly greedy. Most of what they do for preparation is completely unnecessary and their profit margin is absurd. The Adam Ruins Everything segment on death is really interesting about all that. I’m with you. Cremate me and have a memorial outside of a funeral home if you must do a ceremony.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I plan on becoming a tree when I die. Google “Bios Urn.”

• Realme
      11:43 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Love that, Jdub. Don’t want my loved ones to feel guilty if the tree croaks though.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m not having any kids, and trees live a long time, so I figure it won’t really matter.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

So Cal has his foundation help out some of the furloughed government workers in Lexington, and some people on the KSR thread were actually critical of it, saying these people didn’t need the help. I am just speechless about this. Wow.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, and they had to shut down the comments on the story about the Rhodes Scholar, and I understand some comments had to be deleted. Unbelievable.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am January 17, 2019 Permalink

I know, which is why I called them out on it last night. Federal workers are real people, with real bills who aren’t getting paid.

• Ridge Runner
      12:12 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely JDub

• ClutchCargo
      1:36 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

I think it was mainly one knucklehead making all the dumb comments. But he was determined to make his point, to hell with the facts.