KSR Show Thread 1/16: Talking Georgia

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s 20-point win over Georgia, which featured a dominant performance by Ashton Hagans and a still-creepy Tom Crean.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/16: Talking Georgia

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Thomas Wolfe: “You Can’t Go Home Again”.
    Ashton Hagans: “Sure you can, watch”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:06 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Hagans: “Hold my Gatorade.”

10:17 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Ashton is simply a stud. ‘Nuff said.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:21 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

He has a great attitude as well, if all the players played with his tenacity and effort we would be hell to deal with.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

If most other guards tried to play like Hagans does, they would foul out in the first half. The kid has hands of pure gold, and maybe even better court vision. I can only imagine what a beast he would be as a receiver or DB.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Hagans played football in HS…QB. RB, CB, and wide receiver. He played in a junior league with Clemson QB, Trevor Lawrence, His cousin, Ronnie Brown, played at Auburn where he was coached by Eddie Gran.

10:58 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

rg, so are we going to get a continuation of the announcers’ remarks about Willie – “You may not know this, but he played football in HS.” ๐Ÿ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and I think his Dad said he was better at football.

11:10 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Heshimu means warrior…

2. J-Dub421
    10:07 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Clearly Ashton was the star of the game, but how about Nick Richards?!?!?! EJ, Quickley, and Baker also played well. Good win, and Go Cats!

• Realme
      10:09 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Yes! Good stuff, I wish Cal would reflect that in the minutes. I don’t think Nick and EJ get enough chances when PJ and/or Reid are struggling.

10:13 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

They both played some last night, but I agree. EJ and Nick need more run. They were difference makers last night.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:14 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I think Travis is struggling but is PJ just not putting enough effort into it?!

10:14 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I think we are going to have to see more of Nick and EJ as the SEC season wears on. I love Reid – love the toughness and maturity he brings to the team, but athletically he is going to struggle against a lot of SEC bigs. Someone mentioned mix it up, maybe PJ and EJ and Nick and Reid, and I think that might be something worth trying. Use Nick / EJ at the 5 as a rim protector. Big question is if Reid could play the 4 effectively, so may have to switch that to Reid and EJ, because I think EJ has a better outside game.

10:17 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Iam – I agree about PJ. If he put in maximum effort, he could be a top-5 draft pick. He is going to slide into the 2nd round if he doesn’t get more consistent with his effort.

10:21 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

PJ is frustrating. He can be absolutely dominant when he wants to be.

• Nugget01
      1:06 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

PJ is Alex Poythress 2.0. His focus and try come and go. Dominant 1 game, completely ineffective the next 2.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Best referees I’ve seen this year…good job.

• Realme
      10:13 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh my goodness, you’re right. I don’t think they featured themselves at any point in the game. Almost as if they knew people want to watch the players play the game.

10:15 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Never noticed them – which is how it should be. Kudos to them.

10:18 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m still annoyed. GA shot 16 free throws even though they jacked up 27 threes (almost half their shot attempts). Meanwhile we only shot 11 free throws but only shot 11 threes (a small percentage of our 64 shot attempts). The refs weren’t completely terrible, but they weren’t great either. Refs consistently let our bigs get clobbered in the paint, but it’s a foul at the other end.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Still, they didn’t take over the game…and I didn’t know their names; like Rooferee, Shows, Valentine, etc.
      I posted a comment last night about them, and it was moderated. Hah, modbot should hear the things I usually say about the refs…curl your hair, man.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:12 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

So much for Keldon or Herro being the favorite player on the team. Hagans hands down.

10:15 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Herro still played a pretty good game. Had some big rebounds and is smart enough to take the midrange jumper when the 3 is not falling/available.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:18 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you RealCats and it’s not that Keldon and Herro don’t play well at times, but how can Hagans not be your favorite player? Herro is struggling with passing.

10:22 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh don’t read me wrong – after last night Ashton is ABSOLUTELY my favorite player right now. I sure wish we could have him for more than one year! But it’s really hard to choose a favorite on this team.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:25 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Agreed RealCats, Herro’s shot was off for a while but he did a lot of other things while he wasn’t hitting, I’m not usually one to pick a favorite but if I had to right now it’s Hagans, he has superhero status right now.

10:31 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Herro is a great kid. He does lots of things well and clearly works hard. His passing makes me want to throws things sometimes though. Oh well, no one’s perfect.

10:34 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I like this whole team. They’re all great dudes. I’ve said it a thousand times, but Coach Cal always gets the nicest kids. We’re really lucky.

10:38 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Yep – for all the bitching a lot of people do about one-and-done, we have had some awesome individuals come through the basketball program in the past ten years – not only unbelievable players, but almost every single one of them were quality kids who stayed out of trouble. It sucks to lose them after one year, but it is also fun to get to see them in Blue and White. It’s like the old saying – “don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:40 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

That is one of the things I like most about Cal, we don’t have to deal with a lot of drama, they come from good families.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

RCF, I’m going to use that saying when UofLOL finally makes it through whatever NCAA hell they end up going through. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Anyone who has coached at any level can appreciate the mind games that Cal has to play with these kids. Just about any sport has a huge mental component to it, and motivation and building confidence is a huge part of coaching. Of course, Cal gets paid a lot more to do it than any of us, but that doesn’t mean that he still has to be a master at managing egos, motivating, teaching, etc.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh good Lord, Matt…it’s Hamlet. Sheesh.

7. Realme
    10:29 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

The fact that Georgia fans were trying to troll Drew last night about beating us in football says a lot. They were supposed to beat us in football. Then they were supposed to represent the east well in the championship game. Sad!

10:32 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

That tells me that Georgia fans are a little scared of us deep down. Good. They should be scared. We’re coming for that top spot in the East.

10:44 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Good thing we didn’t lose last night or Crean would have had them printing up popcorn boxes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:45 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

And would have built a shrine with the game ball incased, not to mention rings for the team.

8. J-Dub421
    10:40 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I think Book of Mormon is hilarious, but I would NEVER recommend it to my parents.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Ha! Fourteen shoulder pats from Crean is getting off easy. If he really likes you, he tries to smooch you on the mouth. ๐Ÿ˜€

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

If he r-e-a-l-l-y likes you… well, I don’t even want to think about that.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:48 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

A kiss and a promise…

10. IrishCat
    10:46 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I love when EJ is on the floor. Even when heโ€™s not getting numbers or heโ€™s making mistakes, heโ€™s always active and engaged. I think heโ€™s going to be a heck of an all around player. When PJโ€™s on he can be the best player on the team, but when heโ€™s not you forget heโ€™s there. The lineups I feel best about have one of PJ/Reid on the floor w/ one of Nick/EJ.

10:54 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

EJ = Terrence Jones 2.0

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I would say PJ = Terrence Jone 2.0. But maybe that’s what you meant.

11:20 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Clutch – you are correct. Thanks for fixing that. Brain flatulence.

• Nugget01
      1:13 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Dunno, i don’t remember Terrence Jones disappearing for entire games at a time. On the regular, at that. Now, Alex Poythress, on the other hand…

• IrishCat
      1:25 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Off the court and attitude, I can see the PJ T Jones comparison, but Terrence was much more talented, and a lot better player.

11. Realme
    10:46 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I was surprised how excited Dawg Nation is to have Crean, according to the announcers. Good for him and them, I guess.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

It’s probably a good fit for both sides. They will always be decent, and there isn’t a ton of pressure for UGA basketball to really do much other than keep the fans entertained between football season and spring practice.

11:44 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I believe that as weird as he is, Crean is an honest and good dude, and like Cal, he has the interests of his kids at heart. I heard them say that his mother is not doing well and probably will not be on this earth much longer, and for that my heart aches for him. Prayers going out for his mom and his family. Some things are bigger than basketball.

• Realme
      11:50 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Well said, RCF. I will still make fun of him in the future though.

11:52 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never disliked Crean personally. I just hate IU. Sad about his mom.

• Realme
      11:56 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I don’t dislike him, I just think he’s so goofy. The most embarrassing Dad of college bball.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

So after UGA ran off about 5 straight dunks on us in the opening minutes, forcing a TO by Cal, is it fair to say that he made some effective defensive adjustments? But I thought Cal can’t coach…

10:54 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

UGA only scored 18 points in the second half.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

But that’s because UGA sucks and we’re getting all excited about beating a sucky team. We’re better than this!!! (read this in the imagined voice of your favorite KSR comment troll)

11:12 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I already saw it, and called him out on it last night, especially after he was still slobbering all over Duke and defending them after their loss.

• ClutchCargo
      11:15 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Ha! I totally made that up. I didn’t even look at comments because I knew the negative Nancies wouldn’t have anything even remotely legit to complain about. That, and I wanted to just enjoy a nice win.

11:17 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I called out some trolls last night. BP and others did as well. Some of the trolls were trying to jump back on the bandwagon, and we were not having it.

• StillBP
      11:42 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Hey all. I’m late to the thread, busy morning at work. Thanks for the troll slaying backup last night, J-Dub and others! I don’t do as much as I used to, but like J-Dub said, I was not about to let them jump on the wagon without letting them know that we know they are wagon jumpers!

13. Realme
    11:12 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Sigh, move on, Matt.

• ClutchCargo
      11:18 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Can’t listen today, which is fine. I needed a break from listening to the show anyway.

• Realme
      11:22 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

He asked that “Dawg Nation!” guy to call in today so they could argue some more.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

He lives for that stuff. He never even lets the guy finish a thought before cutting him off, though. If Matt just started yelling about it and saying what he wants to say, there is no need for the Dawg Nation guy to even call in.

11:41 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Yep – there are some things that I like about Matt, but his impatience with callers on his show is not one of them.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:44 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I had to turn him off today, couldn’t take it any longer.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:20 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Somebody tell me what the University of No Classes did in their last game to deserve a primetime main ESPN game or a #13 ranking? Oh well, looks better for us.

11:22 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I was really hoping that they would lose consecutive home games against unranked opponents so that the pollsters’ collective heads would explode on how to justify keeping them in the top 25.

11:42 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I can’t stand UNC, but for our strength of schedule, I need them to not suck.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

True, JD; and, I think UL will eventually be ranked. They have a couple of winnable games coming up.

11:58 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I am fine with UNCheat not sucking until our seed is solidified, and then they can tank.

15. sincitycat
    11:21 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Are Tom Crean and Ted Cruz related?

11:22 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

No, but pretty sure that Ted Cruz and Grayson Allen are father/son.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I think it kind of blew my older daughter’s mind a little bit when I told her that Ashton is just a year ahead of her and that he will probably be a millionaire next year. Kind of blows my mind too… Whew, where did the years go?

17. sincitycat
    11:36 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

RCF: Cruz/Allen…LOL!

18. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Matt talking about different states and mentioned Washington – I lived there for a few months for a business project (Seattle), and it is beautiful out there. Lots to do as well – you can play sand volleyball and then drive to Mt Ranier to go snowboarding all in the same day. Just too far away from home for me. And no one cares about college basketball whatsoever out there.

11:43 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

My in-laws all live in Seattle now. The hubby and I really need to get out there.

11:46 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

My niece and her husband moved to Portland to get into the beehive building business (honest). We have been saying for a long time that we need to take a trip out there to visit them. I absolutely love the natural beauty of that part of the country – even if it tends to be a bit cloudy and rainy out there (but not that much more so than here).

19. runningunnin.454
    11:51 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

In the year 2525, you’ll have nothing to do; some machine will do that for you.
    Zager and Evans.

11:58 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I remember loving that song when I was a kid riding around in mom’s Impala on the way to Kmart. ๐Ÿ™‚