KSR is Owensboro to break down the draft (Friday Show Thread)

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio which is coming to you live from Don Moore Automotive in Owensboro. Tune in to hear the gang break down last night’s NBA draft and bid Matt farewell as he leaves for his five week European vacation.

Here’s where the KSR Summer Tour has been so far:

06/12/17: Prestonsburg — StoneCrest Golf Course
06/13/17: London — Sleep Outfitters
06/14/17: Russell Springs — Lawless-Smith True Value Supply
06/15/17: Somerset — Ashley HomeStore
06/16/17: Lexington — Don Franklin Auto Mall

06/19/17: Danville — Dexter Insurance
06/20/17: Leitchfield — Future Designs Building Materials
06/21/17: Louisville — Academy Sports + Outdoors
06/22/17: Henderson — Sleep Outfitters
06/23/17: Owensboro — Don Moore Automotive Group

The tour will get back on track in August once Matt’s back from his vacation:

8/3 — Lexington — TBA

8/18 — Madisonville — Hudson Toyota

8/21 — Hopkinsville — Eclipse
8/22 — KY State Fair
8/23 — Northern KY — Dickman’s
8/24 — Richmond — Mann Chrysler
8/25 — KSR Louisville Golf Outing

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

59 Comments for KSR is Owensboro to break down the draft (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

The Kings did really well last night; here’s hoping they don’t blow it.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:24 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

My two winners last night were the Trail Blazers and the Kings. Blazers took Jackson (UNC), Giles (Duke), & Swanigan (Purdue). Kings took Fox, Collins (Gonzaga), & Mason (Kansas).

The real loser is the Lakers, obviously.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Somewhat surprised Swanigan went so late; Big 10 POY and a great rebounder and scorer.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Swanigan was an absolute beast on the low block. Even in the NBA, I can’t see anyone outmuscling him for a rebound.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:30 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Miami got blasted for taking bam because he can’t “stretch the floor” and “plays poor defense”

but he clearly can shoot. he just wasn’t asked to in college because we needed a 5 and not a 4

4. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like Monk and Kash Daniel should have hung out – they have a lot in common. 🙂

5. So I’m a procrastinator, and I finally got around to watching the entire “One and Not Done” 30 for 30 last night. Can there be a better recruiting tool for Cal/UK than:

1) What Lou Roe said about the man Cal made out of him and getting choked up?
    2)The entire La Familia thing Cal has with his players?
    3) What AD, Derrick Rose, etc. said about how honest Cal was with them about playing time, etc. (AD was the #1 player and you could tell he was surprised Cal said he had no promise of PT), and how he prepared them for the pros as a result?

6. 3a. AD saying Cal told him “Kentucky isn’t for everybody.”

7. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

I’ve said Bilas is a bore. He’s an ACC homer, his analysis is biased and weak; I doubt he ever played baseball; but, he’s out in left field.

• ukjaybrat
      10:42 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

“his analysis is biased and weak”
      He can be boring sometimes but i have to 100% disagree with this statement.
      I know he can be a duke homer sometimes, but he’s pretty much right on the money when it comes to his analysis and opinions on basketball. For my money, it doesn’t get much better.

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

To each his own; Bilas doesn’t think NC should be sanctioned for 20 years of academic fraud; even though they allowed athletes to remain eligible for competition, he thinks it’s not a matter for the NCAA to consider. “The NCAA is breaking their own rules”.
      He lost all credibility with that stance.

• ukjaybrat
      10:54 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Now that is one opinion i highly disagree with. But to be fair, he’s got his lawyer hat on there and nothign else. Technically Penn State didn’t break any rules either, but what they did was so sickening that they were punished anyway. Granted most of their punishment was revoked years later, but this situation really is not only unfair to REAL universities who play by the rules but also REAL universities that give out degrees for REAL classes. Whether or not they get punished by the NCAA is just the beginning. UNC has a long ways to go with accreditation agencies and the ACC before this is all over for them. But we will see. I think there’s only a very small chance that they get off scot free.

• So the NCAA asked Memphis “Do you agree you used an ineligible player?” and they said yes. Penalties ensue even though nothing was proven. Are they telling us UNC didn’t use ineligible players?

8. ukjaybrat
    10:40 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

My other assessment is Bamba picking Texas over UK because (quote)
    “I can’t say enough about the strides my friend Jarrett Allen made this past year,” Bamba wrote. “I saw his footwork improve. I saw the spots they put him in — where he was shooting, passing and stretching the paint like a modern 5. Most importantly, I saw his confidence grow throughout the season as he distinguished himself as a possible lottery pick. I’m thankful for the blueprint he laid down and I hope to follow in his footsteps.”

If he wanted to follow in someone’s footsteps, maybe follow Bam who was ACTUALLY a lottery pick and not some dude that collapsed and fell into the bottom half of the first round since he left.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

I have grown increasingly tired of people saying Cal “hold’s guys back.” No, he doesn’t. Cal forces players to develop the weak parts of their game. Towns was already a good shooter; he had no post game. Cal made him develop a post game and learn to be a good defender so that he was a complete player when he went to the league. Cal did the same with Bam. Cal made Patterson learn to be a better shooter so he could be a stretch 3-4 in the NBA. Cal made Murray and Monk learn to play some defense and get better at shot selection.

This is why UK guys do so well in the NBA. Cal makes them become complete, well rounded players with a varied skill set.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Now that is spot on; but, Cal doesn’t make NBA players…he recruits them; gobbledygook.
      Who said that?

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Cal did the same with Davis. AD grew up as a guard and had that late growth spurt. He had next-to-no post game before he came to UK, but he sure had one when he left.

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

I’m still hoping and praying that my younger kid can have that late AD-style freakish growth spurt and shoot up to 5’11 or so. She just broke 5 feet (at 13) and was all excited about no longer being “four-foot-nothing” anymore. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, Cal could probably have more wins if he let the players play to their strengths all the time, but I truly think he has their interests in mind more than his own. Unfortunately, this sometimes translates into wins and losses for the team, and this is what some fans get up in arms about. But this is what stirs the drink for the recruiting success.

• J-Dub421
      12:01 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

I grew 6 inches my freshman year of high school, so it’s in the realm of possibility, RCF.

• RealCatsFan
      12:12 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

Big sis is probably done growing, as she has hit “the change”. Little sis has not, so she still has room to grow. Not that I’m an expert on those things or anything. Mom is 5’3 and I’m 6′, so neither of my kids are going to be amazonian. 🙂

9. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

They say “kids say the darndest things”. So do some of the commenters on KSR.
    Last night someone said, “we would have gone farther in the tournament if we had Ball instead of Fox”.
    LOL, sure…trade 39 points for 10. Sometimes I’m amazed.

• ukjaybrat
      10:58 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

wow. what an idiot. surely that was a troll. or just some idiot that doesn’t watch basketball with his eyes open

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. Fox out-played Ball both times we played UCLA. Also, Ball comes with his disaster of a father as baggage which is a knock against him. Ball has a weird shot as well, slow release and weird form. I think he’ll get blocked a lot and will struggle more in the NBA than people seem to think he will. He needs to completely re-work his shot.

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

It was Ground Control to #9.

• ukjaybrat
      11:13 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

ucla would have gone farther in the tournament if they had ball too…. oh wait… wait…

• Is that guy a moderator of some sort on this site? He is one of the few that is able to use bold fonts in his comments.

• ukjaybrat
      11:32 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

chris,
      you can surround anything you want to be bold with the following

except without the spaces

• ukjaybrat
      11:33 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

10. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

So are they saying that on Monday we won’t be able to listen to KSR on iHeart without jumping through a bunch of hoops? Why can’t they keep things simple?!?

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

I think they were talking about loading the podcast to the site later on.

11. J-Dub421
    11:18 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

I can’t believe a team hasn’t picked up Hawkins yet, at least for summer league.

12. J-Dub421
    11:20 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Cal said positionless again. Drink!

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Kind of early for me – does coffee count? 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Coffee is what I am drinking, so sure. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Maybe I should be drinking Irish coffee! After all, it’s Friday! 😀

13. J-Dub421
    11:46 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Must be nice to be able to take 5 weeks off. I don’t have that much vacation time total, and I wouldn’t be allowed to take it all at once like that even if I did.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Every time I am at a job long enough to accumulate that much vacation time, something happens and I end up at another job and have to start all over again. 🙁 Same thing happened to my wife – she was at a company for 25 years, and was up to about 5 or 6 weeks, and then they closed up shop. Now she’s back to about 2 weeks. Sucks.

If you really want to have plenty of vacation time, get a job as a politician. Seems like those bastids are always going off on a 6-week break. And they never get anything done anyway, outside of run for re-election and bicker, bitch and point fingers at each other.

• J-Dub421
      12:04 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

Agreed.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Awfully early to be as sauced as that last guy was, but as I said earlier, it’s Friday!

• ukjaybrat
      12:07 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

no meetings the rest of the day and my boss just took off…………. too bad my car is in the shop and i’d need to convince someone else to leave early with me to take me there. DAMN !

• RealCatsFan
      12:10 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

There’s always Uber! 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      12:11 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

haha it’s only 3 miles away. i considered just putting on my shorts and running over there. but i just ate a big ole bowl of chicken tortilla soup and that could get messy bouncing around in there.

15. 4everUKblue
    2:50 pm June 23, 2017 Permalink

Anyone who hasn’t seen the 30 for 30 of Cal you can watch it here…….. http://ukbasketballlive.com/720p-hd-replay-of-30-for-30-one-and-not-done-coach-cal/

16. Let me try this bold thing again.