KSR is Live from the Tennessee-Georgia Line (Wednesday Show Thread)

Tennessee-Georgia Line > Florida-Georgia Line

KSR is on the road to Catlanta. ย Before they get to Philips Arena, Matt, Ryan, Shannon and Drew are in Ringed, Georgia for this morning’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

66 Comments for KSR is Live from the Tennessee-Georgia Line (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:56 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

SEC > ACC…and louisville.

2. Lahinch02
    10:02 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Maybe that should be …. Ringgold GA?

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

yeah that’s usually where i run out of gas on the way to disney world.

3. ukbradstith
    10:03 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Just read on Yahoo that one of Penny’s players that had committed to Wichita St. has now flipped to Memphis, and that DJ Jefferies and Wiseman would follow Penny to Memphis. Didn’t even say might, said would. Didn’t know if t

• ukbradstith
      10:04 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Hat was confirmed?

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

If this is true, there has to be some duffel bags of cash involved, a’la dook.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Memphis could recruit the top five recruits in America, but they will wash out. No way an inexperienced coach like Hardaway will know how to manage all those egos and meld them into a team. It took Cal many years of coaching to learn how to do this.

• Realme
      10:19 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

DJ sounded to me like he was thrilled to play for Cal.

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

yeah that doesn’t make any since. Penny knew he was getting that job when DJ committed to UK. which means DJ knew too. no way he didn’t. if DJ was ABSOLUTELY following penny to memphis, he would have waited to commit.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I saw that Yahoo article. It was an opinion piece and not a report, so it seemed like a lot of speculation and nothing more. Who knows, though. I could stand losing those guys to Memphis instead of Duke, UNC or Kansas, for sure.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Yahoo article I saw said “are expected to”, not “would.”

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

seems like yahoo is just as uninformed as matt norlander

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Yahoo hired Pat Forde after all his issues at ESPN, so there’s that…

4. secrick
    10:04 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

This Cat team has already gone farther than i thought they would 45 days ago . I always said get us to the sweet 16 and i am happy with the season because you never know what can happen when you make it that far. Some people , even Drew says if we don’t go to the final 4 this season will be a disappointment and i think that”s crazy. The card fans started that BS when they realized that’s the only thing that they can hope happens to us to make them feel better. GOOD YEAR CATS no matter what happens tomorrow night. GO CATS.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Ask the card fans what they thought about Mississippi State.

• Realme
      10:08 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I think the way the path opened up has increased expectations. I love that they made the Sweet 16, but think they SHOULD survive this weekend too.

5. Realme
    10:11 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Okay, help me out. I am no longer going to be able to hear “Cal’s a good recruiter, but not good at X’s and O’s…”. without arguing. I need a concise, one sentence answer that is better than: “Well you can be a moron that parrots stupid statements from bad reporters if you want, it’s a free country”.

“Just look at what he’s done with this team” is a good start of course, but you guys are good with comebacks.

• ukjaybrat
      10:16 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

i no longer have the desire to argue with ignorant people. If they want to believe Cal is a bad coach, let them live in their own ignorance.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Eat crap and die not appropriate?

• Gowcats
      10:25 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Calโ€™s Xs & Os > lil bros Playa’s & hoโ€™s?

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

How about, “Well, bless your little heart.” ๐Ÿ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I’m just about to the point where I don’t even try to change the minds of ignorant people anymore. When I wish the world was full of smarter sports fans, I just try to be a smarter sports fan. That’s sorta like my approach to other areas of life and it seems to work. Or at least it gets my attitude right.

• Realme
      10:55 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

That’s been my position for a long time. I just can’t let people say that particular one anymore. It’s too stupid, but they keep saying it.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Then explain our success in the NCAA Tournament? 6-Elite Eight’s, 4 – Final Four’s, a Title, and a Runner-Up in eight years shows consistency that doesn’t just happen by accident. Also, Cal has the highest win percentage of any coach at UK ever, including Rupp.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

The X’s and O’s thing is always said by people who have no idea what they’re talking about, which is why I understand the frustration. Literally every single D-1 college coach knows X’s and O’s well enough to win. It’s on the players to execute. If your players can’t or won’t execute, it makes you as the coach look bad, but it doesn’t mean you don’t know or can’t coach X’s and O’s. Even Billy G understood this and used to say “It’s Jimmies and Joes, not X’s and O’s.” Now, let’s not talk about that guy anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Coach K copies everything Cal does. If Cal were a bad coach, would that happen?

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

And a winning percent at UK only surpassed by Sam Burton at W Texas A&M in the ’20’s, and Clair Bee at Long Island U in the ’30’s.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Cal only has one loss to a non Power Five conference school in 9 seasons = good coaching. Under Cal UK doesn’t lose to teams we have no business losing to.

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

To answer the question… just put it back on them to explain what a “good X’s and O’s coach” does differently than Cal. I’ll bet they can’t. Anecdotal evidence that a team won a particular game doesn’t cut it, either.

• Realme
      11:19 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Lots of good stuff. I think Clutch’s idea of making them explain why they think that is a great start.

• Realme
      11:21 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I’ve used the “name a better current coach” (besides K, reasonable people can argue that) thing a lot. That’s super easy to dismantle.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Cal is the only coach to have a 38 win season since the season expanded to 40 games. He’s done it three times at two different schools. So why can’t all these other great x’s and o’s coaches win that many games?

6. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Michael Bennett’s voice goes up about five octaves when he gets excited and sounds like a little girl. Reminds me of the Agent Pleakley alien character from “Lilo & Stitch”.

7. Realme
    10:18 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Our guys have been embarrassed enough times this season, I am not at all worried they will overlook K State.

8. nicky
    10:22 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

“Ringed, Ga”? Pretty sure that would be Ringgold…?

9. Decker
    10:23 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I believe Ringgold is where that Tornado hit a few years back that nearly wiped out the town.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Ha! Now I’m picturing a 280 lb big boy running to the donut shop and flattening everything in his way. THAT never happens, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

11. secrick
    10:33 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Can you imagine the crap the media would be giving Cal if Ky had been the one seed that lost to the sixteen seed. Oh the one and done has finally bit Cal in the butt, but you didn’t hear a lot about Virginia and the veteran team they had.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Media and crap go together now days.

• ukjaybrat
      10:43 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

to be fair, i always thought it’d be a 1AD team to lose to a 16 seed. but in hindsight, it makes sense for a “defensive team” to get down early and not be able to come back. but 20 points !?!? i never would have guessed that in a hundred years.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I have nothing against Bennett, so I can’t gloat about this one. But WHY could that not have been Duke losing as a 1 seed (I know they’re not a 1 this year, just saying)?

• ukjaybrat
      10:58 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

dukes had enough 2 seed losses that it might as well have been a 1 lol

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

What happened to Virginia’s vaunted veteran defense, that they allowed themselves to get down by 20? Where were the stops?

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

wait i lied. i thought they were a 2 when mercer beat them

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

But Duke probably had the tournament draw that a 2 or 1 should have had, so that’s understandable, ukjaybrat.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, you nailed it – that would have been even more delicious if dook had been the victim of the 16/1 defeat. And if there was really basketball Karma, Butler would have nailed that last second three for the NCAA Championship in 2010. But of course, like ‘Nova’s win over UNCheat, they don’t have to see that play on TV EVERY FREAKING YEAR.

12. secrick
    11:01 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Yep , Please someone beat Duke. If we can’t win i am a West Virginia fan.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I have the same problem as Walter – very little grey on my head, but my beard is almost all white. My wife has been trying to get me to shave it for years, says it will make me look younger, and she is probably right. But I’m afraid then it will make my seventeen chins show up a lot more. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Realme
      11:32 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I like Walter’s beard.

• J-Dub421
      11:34 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

You can always dye your beard.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, I guess I could, but then I would kind of feel like a poser, like a phony. Guys are funny that way. I think it’s perfectly acceptable for ladies to color their hair, but as soon as guys do it, it begins to look “desperate” in the same vein as a combover. That’s my opinion, anyway. Others may differ. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Main thing remember about the University of Evansville basketball team is the tragic plane crashed that claimed the lives of most of the team and coaches back in the 70’s.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

If Dalton is the “Carpet Capital of the World”, where is the “Carpet Burn Capital of the World”?

• J-Dub421

Haha! Reply fail.

16. CATandMONKEY
    11:49 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Rimshot!

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I’ll be here all week. Remember to tip your servers.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Usually when the weather forecasters in Louisville predict 4 inches of snow we get a dusting. I am enjoying it. Not that hard to drive in, and it is very pretty to look at. But after this I am done with winter. Bring on 75* and sunny.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

And convertibles.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. It’s spring now. I’m ready for flowers and being outside, etc. I am done with winter.

18. CATandMONKEY