KSR is live from Sleep Outfitters in Morgantown (Friday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the Sleep Outfitters in Morgantown, West Virginia. Tune in to hear the guys preview tomorrow’s big game vs. the Mountaineers and tell tales from the road.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

52 Comments for KSR is live from Sleep Outfitters in Morgantown (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Ohio State and Arizona State go down; a ranking is the kiss of death…I like being an underdog.

2. Realme
    10:11 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Maybe we can get a good old fashioned Matt meltdown today. 🙂

3. WildWVCat
    10:15 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Great time in Granville!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Huggins is blowing smoke about his team; they’ve lost to 2 ranked teams of late, and TCU that started 12-0 and was previously ranked.
    Morgantown is a very difficult place to play. Can’t let the press and the crowd rattle us.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Plus, they will be out for revenge from that pasting we put on them in 2015.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

We don’t have a single player from that 2015 team still on our team.

• True J-Dub, but I’m sure some UK players in 98 relished handing it back to Duke and Nosferatu.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

We may not have any players left from that game, but they do. And those dudes is lit, I’m sure.

• To recycle a comment I just posted on another thread, my problem is I can’t think of 2015 without thinking about the Wisky game. *sigh*

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

It was a crappy terrible ending to a magical season.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

But Wisconsin is currently 10-11,
      Laugh at will.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Wisconsin caught lightning in a bottle for 2 years with Kaminski and Dekker. It will likely never happen again. They are now irrelevant again, like normal.

Also, we stole Tyler Herro from them and they are really mad about it which brings me joy.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Yep, I really hope Herro blows up into a great player, so they can just simmer in their jealousy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:18 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Wisconsin men’s basketball exists only to delay the start of our 9 pm games on ESPN.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I watched part of Wisconsin’s game against Rutgers a few weeks ago. Zzzzz…….. Total snooze-fest. They both play some boring terrible basketball.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Friends of mine who are UL fans and attended games in Morgantown back in the day tell me that you better bring your hard hats if you plan to be at the game in opposing colors. That is to ward off flying batteries and other objects.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

In 2010 their fans were throwing full water bottles at our players. One almost hit John Wall in the head.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I was in the band at UK and went to at least one away game per football season. Florida, Georgia and LSU were bad like that, too.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

But they did get a bad rap in the movie about Ernie Davis, the first African-American to win the Heisman. They were portrayed as racists and hoodlums; but, just didn’t happen; the game that year was played at Syracuse.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

CC is a band nerd! 😉 Just kidding. I was a choir nerd and friends with several people in UK’s marching band/pep band.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Haha! I was a band nerd just long enough to go to school tuition-free!

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Wish I had one iota of musical talent in my body. Couldn’t carry a tune in a wheelbarrel. I guess I got the artistic gene instead.

6. Realme
    10:37 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

That’s my dream. I want to be retired and riding to games on those buses with all my gray and blue haired friends.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

It does sound fun.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Hell, I am just envious of my boss getting to take cruises 2 or 3 times a year. I haven’t been anywhere on vacation in 2 years.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:42 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Why does everybody consider the S Car loss a bad one? They just beat the Gators at Florida.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:04 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

There is some history with UK and WVa; Jerry West and the Mountaineers lost the ncaa title game by one point to California.
    King Kelly Coleman would have been on the W Va team; he had signed with them; but, Rupp turned them in to the NCAA for recruiting violations; with Coleman, they would have easily won the title.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Geezus, Matt has never watched M A S H? What a pup.

10. I don’t know if that story about Rupp & WVU is true, but Russell Rice told a HILARIOUS story in “Big Blue Machine”.

He said UK was playing a game on the road (at Cincinnati I think), and one of the refs was kind of a friend of Rupp’s, and his name was Dan something. He lived in Cincinnati, so I may be wrong about the location of the game. Anyway, all through the game the other team’s crowd yelled about Rupp whenever he was riding the refs, so he started doing it even more to rile them up even more. Then, when the game was over, Rupp goes over to the one ref he knew and started shaking his finger in the guy’s face and moving his head back and forth and giving it to him. The thing is though, he was saying thing’s like “HOW’S THE FAMILY DAN? AND HOW ARE THINGS IN CINCINNATI?” The crowd went crazy, and afterwards, the ref confronted Rupp and said “D****t Adolph! Why did you do that? The crowd thought you were just giving me the business!”

11. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know about Rupp refusing to play at West Virginia. Back then, the Mountaineers were often invited to the UKIT, and that’s where most of the games were played.
    There was bad blood, though; one year, W.Virginia accused Rupp of telling his players to get rough with Jerry West….Allen Feldhaus broke West’s nose in one game; Allen was Deron Feldhaus’s father. I think Rupp denied it…ha ha.

• The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Deron came to UK with a rep of physical play, and (I’ve said this before), Ralph Hacker once said if Laettner had stomped Feldhaus instead of Aminu, his ankle would have been broken.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

It would have been tough to have lost Deron in that game, but worth it to see Laettner get the $hit beat out of him. And the game would have probably had a more favorable outcome!

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Maybe Laettner would have learned some manners then. Coach K sure wasn’t ever going to teach him any or discipline him in any way.

12. J-Dub421
    11:34 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I am really proud of the BBN for raising more than $30,000 in a day to help these people. That is something our fan base doesn’t get enough credit for. We get trashed all the time for complaining about officiating (every single fan base does it), but no one talks about the generosity of the BBN. We gave a million dollars for Haiti relief, our alumni game always raises a lot of money for multiple charities, the telethon for hurricane and wildfire relief earlier this season. The BBN always steps up when needed.

13. Realme
    11:42 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I miss having a stud rim protector. So many recent teams would have been a lot better with a Willie / Karl / Nerlens / Anthony. Any good ones coming up on our radar?

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I think Nick can develop into one. It took Willie a few years, and I think Nick is on a similar path.

• Realme
      11:49 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

He does show flashes of that ability. Hope you’re right, I like him.

• I’m with you Realme. One person in the comments questioned why I thought Lamb and Jones were such a big part of 2012 because they didn’t do much in the NBA. As if the NBA has anything to do with it. For one thing, if AD didn’t block the shot and someone got by him, sometimes Jones was there to swat it away. Not to mention that Lamb was our best 3 point shooter. He made some timely shots in the championship game.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

E.J. Montgomery, 6’10”, originally committed to Auburn….he is being recruited by Duke though.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

The only reason Lamb didn’t pan out in the NBA is because he’s lazy and doesn’t put in the work. That is on Lamb. With his shooting ability he could be in the league right now if he would put in the work.

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Hasn’t dook slung around enough duffel bags for one year?

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

TJ blocked 93 shots that season and was a rebounding machine. He also scored a lot of points out-muscling people around the rim. TJ was an integral part of us winning the title in 2012. (Also, he broke the prior NCAA record for most blocks in a season, but no one pays attention to that because he was on a team with Davis who obliterated the prior record and out-shined him.)

14. J-Dub421
    11:43 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

You’ve been able to play zone in the NBA for several years. This idiot doesn’t even know the rules and is trying to argue them.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

They do have the defensive three second call though; but you’re right, zone is legal.

15. Realme
    11:52 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

You know what would be nice? If our guys would stop saving the ball from going out of bounds by slinging it to the other team.

16. J-Dub421
    11:54 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

All these people who complain that “UK has turned into a development league for the NBA” annoy me. Isn’t that what everyone goes to college for. Everyone goes to college to prepare themselves for their future job. Why should our players be any different?

17. Realme
    11:56 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Dude, go get some therapy or something. If you can’t enjoy watching these guys grow here and then constantly express their love for BBN as they succeed on the biggest stage, you should maybe take a break.