KSR is LIVE from Lexington/Nashville (Wednesday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

Matt Jones is in Nashville and Ryan Lemond is in Lexington for today’s two-hour SEC tournament preview show. They may be miles apart, but Matt and Ryan are one in radio this morning to look ahead to what should be a very fun time in Nashville.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

53 Comments for KSR is LIVE from Lexington/Nashville (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. I’m having major withdrawal symptoms because my Cats were not on the tube for the first Tuesday in eons! It’s all good though because it’s time for the Kentucky Invitational known as the SEC Tourney! C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!

Oh yeah, and FIRST!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Oh, and Iโ€™m happy for the Norse, but man, look how close we were to letting a team that is 11-23 into the tournament (which means they were like 7-23 or 8-23 before the last few days). Leagues like the Horizon should have to give their automatic bid to the regular season champ. That said, go Norse, unless and until you play UK!!!

Also, if the NCAA ever did pass a rule like that, you would eventually see a 1 fall to a 16. As it is now, there is probably no way, especially when losing teams from those leagues get hot for 3 or 4 days and wind up in March Madness.

• ukbradstith
      10:22 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

I think conferences should able to choose either regular season or tourney champs. The small conferences should use the regular season, and of course the big guys would want to use the tourney for the automatic bid Not sure how that would change the 16 beating a 1 though.

• Because there would no longer be losing teams in the NCAA. If the Horizon League had sent Oakland instead of Milwaukee (which almost won last night despite finishing dead last in the regular season with an 8-23 record), and every other conference on that level had to do the same thing, there’s a much better chance of a 16 beating a 1.

Again, I’m happy for the Norse. They did what they had to do to get in!

• And I won’t argue about what those leagues should have to do. It’s just an opinion.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Milwaukee would have been the first NCAA tourney team that had over 20 losses…history was going to be made, one way or the other.
      I always like to watch the Lehighs, Stoney Brooks, Ionas, Fairfields, and Sienas in their tournaments…they put it all on the line.

• ukjaybrat
      10:45 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

it already is up to each conference whether they want to use the regular season champ or the tournament champ to decide who gets the auto bid to the ncaa tournament. but everyone except the ivy league uses the tourney champ bc it gives it more of a cinderella feel when that 4 or 5 seed wins

• ukjaybrat, Mike Greenburg said that about the Ivy League the other day, then he said that he was just told that they went the same route this year.

Also, I saw your post late yesterday (busy!). How does one make their IP not show up in WordPress in the comments, other than linking to a web site?

• I knew it was up to the leagues. I don’t think the NCAA will ever change that because they didn’t ask for my opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

i’m pretty sure you just login to the same place you change your name and clear it out from the link field. it’s been so long since i did it, i’m not really sure anymore.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

“Does everybody in Kentucky play basketball?” I’m sure that was the question for the casual basketball fans that tuned in to Northern Ky’s big primetime ESPN game last night.
    If they did watch, they were treated to the quintessential college game for all the marbles. A well played game by two well coached teams.
    Congrats to NKU on their first Div 1 NCAA tournament in their first year of eligibility, and thanks for putting a smile on my face the entire night.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:17 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Matt’s off base on this one; three Kentucky teams in the same bracket is bogus. UK, UL, and NKU will be in the same bracket; and that sucks.

• J-Dub421
      10:18 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

EKU, WKU, Murray State, and Morehead usually end up in our quarter of the bracket along with U of L, so I don’t see why NKU would be any different.

• ukbradstith
      10:19 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

It’s based on geography whenever possible, so that seems obvious…UL may very well be a 2 seed, so they won’t be in the same bracket most likely

5. Realme
    10:38 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t agree that we liked last year’s team more. Last year was the year of weakness and disappointment in the front court. We complained about Skal all year.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

we just liked ulis and his story and leadership. the season in a vacuum was pretty disappointing. imo

• Realme
      10:49 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Ulis is in my top five favorites forever, but it was frustrating watching him not have enough help. He and Jamal deserved to go farther than they did.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

And Briscoe. The three guards really carried us last season.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Does anyone, besides me, think that the constant negativity directed at Skal by fans had a negative effect on his psyche/performance last season?

• ukjaybrat
      10:55 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

im almost certain it did. the kid had potential. im sure the constant criticism had some effect. heck he’s playing in the nba against much stiffer competition and performing just fine.

• Realme
      10:57 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Maybe. I think part of it was he was really really young as a basketball player compared to his peers. He’d only been playing a couple years, and didn’t have a real high school team. Glad to see he’s having some good games now that Cousins is gone from the Kings.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Skal was definitely a bit raw and somewhat behind where we all thought he would be, but I do think all the constant criticism compounded the problem.

• Realme
      11:21 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t disagree. Poor guy was probably overwhelmed by all things BBN to start with. When a portion turns ugly, and has the ability to let players know what they think online, it’s never a good thing.

• Realme
      11:22 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

But my original point is I wish Matt and Ryan would stop saying we don’t like this team. Speak for yourself.

6. Earned Not Given
    10:48 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

How about Georgetown with Ewing, Mutombo, Mourning and Iverson?

7. Realme
    10:54 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Every time Billy calls I want to change my name to isthisme?

8. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Billy may be on disability, but is definitely sounds like he is self-medicating. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Realme
      10:59 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

My next door neighbor is a Billy. Really nice, but clearly well medicated. His wife made him sell his cars because he kept having fender benders.

9. J-Dub421
    10:56 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

So Billy has a lot of health problems but smokes cigarettes all day?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:08 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

All too common in our great commonwealth.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:57 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

On a non basketball note, Waylon Jennings played in Buddy Holley’s band, and was supposed to be on that tragic flight; but the Big Bopper had the flu, and Jennings gave him his seat. Close call for a country music legend.

• RG454 has an eclectic knowledge base!

I saw Waylon in concert back around 1982 or so, and The Crickets were the opening act (I don’t know how many original members they did or didn’t have). Waylon came out and played & sang Peggy Sue with them before his set. Very cool!

Unfortunately the beautiful Jessi Colter didn’t perform that night. She came out to wave to the crowd only because she was taking care of their then newborn son backstage.

• runningunnin.454
      12:21 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Tried to share a story about the time I shared a bottle with Kris K. but alas, moderated.

• catsarerunnin
      12:57 pm March 8, 2017 Permalink

Another interesting tidbit about the Big Bopper is that he was friends with George Jones and tried to get the Possum to join the rock music phenomenon that had just begun in the 50’s. George didn’t really like the new sound but he did record a couple of rockabilly songs under the name “Thumper Jones”.

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:20 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

In 2011 our middle school basketball team finished as runners-up at the KBA state tournament. We played and beat a very good Owen County team that weekend earlier in the tournament. They had a 6-3 stud who was a grown man with facial hair that could dunk and make it look easy. We’re talking 8th grade here. His name was Carson Williams and he now plays for Northern Kentucky. It was awesome watching him on ESPN last night. He has grown only 2 inches since I saw him last when he was 14 years old around 6 years ago.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

He was Mr Basketball in Kentucky, wasn’t he?
      NKU has only two seniors and should be good next year, too.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:41 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Yes, he was Kentucky’s 2016 Mr. Basketball.

12. CATandMONKEY
    11:40 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

I think making the Elite 8 is the minimum for a “successful” season. We are capable of beating anybody if we play to our strengths and scheme to minimize our weaknesses. It will take both coaching and playing at our best to succeed. I know, thats pretty much a Platitude but…

13. BigBlueMeade
    11:41 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

You have to win SEC Tourney and make Elite 8 for me to say it is successful. If they don’t win the SEC Tourney I would be upset if we didn’t at least make the Elite 8 and put a good fight up for the Final 4.

14. J-Dub421
    11:46 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Long story short here: KU player Lagerald Vick committed repeated domestic violence against his girlfriend, KU womenโ€™s player McKenzie Calvert. She got mad and threw a drink in his face. KU star Josh Jackson then followed her to her car and kicked dents in it and kicked out a taillight. She got in trouble and has seen a loss of playing time and not much has happened to either of the menโ€™s players.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

I tried to post links documenting this, but my comment got moderated because of them.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Please, PLEASE send Ryan dressed as Uncle Sam to be in the crowd when Trump comes to Louisville. That would be EPIC! ๐Ÿ˜€

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am March 8, 2017 Permalink

Please Trump, stay out of Louisville. I have stuff to do this weekend and don’t need you jacking up traffic worse than it already will be due to the St. Patrick’s Day parade.