KSR is live from Keeneland! (Friday Show Thread)

And check out that line to get the new Adolph Rupp Maker’s Mark bottles signed. Wow.

Anyway, Matt and Ryan are at Keeneland today to talk draft stock, yesterday’s press conference and a little spring football. You should definitely tune in.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for KSR is live from Keeneland! (Friday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Hi Ryan.

Seven gone, but I wish them nothing but the best. Great kids. I was hoping Booker would stay another year and be the team leader.

Anyone pre-order the Apple Watch? Not me… not worth it.

2. Kyle
    10:13 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m just glad Cal didn’t stand up when the 7 players did!

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Alright, now that the exodus has happened, congrats to those guys. We have Matthews, Briscoe, & Skal to fill 3 of those 7 spots. Who are the top 4 guys we may get to fill the rest?

Matt & Ryan – Can we rank the likelihood of us getting each of these guys in order?

Newman
    Maker
    Zimmerman
    Brown
    Diallo
    Ingram
    Rabb

• Laker Cat 18
      10:16 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m hoping Newman, Maker, Zimmerman, Ingram/Brown.

4. robuk
    10:20 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Am I wrong for believing that 7 NBA level players should have beaten Wisconsin and then won the national championship? If we can’t win it with 7 do we need 10 or 11? What is it going to take? Matt says the NCAA is random. but I believe the team with the most heart will usually win. Go Cats bring in the next NBA team.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:23 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I agree with you. I believe the Cats had heart for the most part. It’s just hard to beat another elite team when you’re All-American only has 2 pts & 5 rebounds.

• Time Expired
      10:30 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Cannot blame the loss on Willie only. Yes he played likely his worst game of the year, but the fact that UK shot so few 3 pointers let Wis. just pack in their zone and clog up the inside. I think Cal could have made some changes in defense and substitutions but so be it. Cats had a great year just not historic.

• BigBlueBoom
      10:31 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

We all know they should have, they just didn’t. Things don’t always go the way they “should have” went.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

That loss was all on Cal. There is NO WAY we go scoreless for 5 minutes and have 3 shot clock violations in a row if Ulis is in the game. He wasn’t. Kid has the dog in him.

• Realme
      10:41 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I would assign an equal amount of blame to Cal, Willie, Dakari, the twins, Trey, and the officials. If some of them had done their job to the best of their ability Saturday night, we’d all be on top of the world right now.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t expect that much from Dakari, haven’t all year really. The twins played great up until the last 6 minutes or so. Then they tanked. It was a good year though. That 9th ring sure would have been nice. Maybe next year.

• CPACAT
      11:24 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I may be completely off base here but are there a slightly divergent sets of goals here:

UK Fans Goals: 1) Win Championship, 2) Win Lots of Games, 3) See Players Succeed in Future Endeavors

Cal’s Goals: 1)See Players Succeed in future endeavors at astronomical pay rates that most of us can’t even fathom., 2) Win Lots of Games so players can succeed in future endeavors at astronomical pay rates that most of us can’t even fathom.3) Win Championship so players can succeed in future endeavors at astronomical pay rates that most of us can’t even fathom.

As fans we get to claim the championships and the wins forever, so those are more important to us personally, however, we never see ANY of that money, so that tends to be more “gee whiz” than important to us.

• plumloopy
      11:47 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I think Cal has just figured out the math:

1. Be players first which…
      2. Attracts the best recruits which…
      3. Means we’ll always be title contenders which…
      4. Means we’ll win lots of games which…
      5. Means we’ll win NCs.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:50 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

The key is “always be contenders.” I’ll take that chance year in and year out. 4 Final Fours in 5 years is hard to beat anywhere.

• CPACAT
      12:43 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Laker Cat 18 and Plumloopy…I agree wholeheartedly with both of your comments. Being the bridesmaid twice, and the maid of honor once, is never fully satisfying. HOWEVER, with 7 NBA players on the team and we still didn’t get it done…what in the heck is it gonna take? Although I completely agree that we are much better off than where we were in 2009!

• Laker Cat 18
      12:45 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

That’s a great analogy LOL. Does that technically mean we’ve been married 8 times?

5. Realme
    10:26 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I wish the guys well, but I hope we don’t have to listen to 2 months of constant speculation of where they go in the draft. I’d much rather speculate on our team for next year.

• Time Expired
      10:31 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Amen my friend enough with where they go it does not matter as it is about money now.

6. Bob Ed Thom
    10:27 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I think ZimmerMOM wants Steve here. I think Newman is coming.
    I would love Ingram & Diallo.
    They both played defense at the McDonalds game and both looked LOOONG (listed 6’8 & 6’9 but seemed even bigger on the floor).

Seriously would love any and all of them.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:29 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I would love Diallo, but I’d say he follows Slice. Assuming Slice may take up the St. Johns offer. Hope he stays!

7. BigBlueBoom
    10:29 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m out of the loop here. Who is signing the Rupp bottles? Did they raise him from the dead?

• BigBlueBoom
      10:33 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

nm, just saw it on a Keeneland post. Cliff Hagan, Dan Issel, Frank Ramsey and Adrian Smith and Maker’s Mark COO Rob Samuels and Keeneland President & CEO Bill Thomason

8. thundermitch
    10:31 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Who will have more combined years in the NBA, 1996 UK team or 2015 UK team?

• jbizzle
      11:25 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

2010 team will have the most

9. JD-UK
    10:32 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Matt, now that the season is over I feel like i can tell you… you have told the booker’s dad chicago story at least three times before today

• Realme
      10:56 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

“Now we can say”, we’ve heard the Oriahki (spelled wrong probably) story at least 3 times too.

10. Bob Ed Thom
    10:35 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Zombie Rupp and some of his former players like Issel and Ramsey and a couple of others are signing today.

You better hurry over to Keeneland because word is they are having trouble keeping Zombie Rupp from attacking autograph seekers.

11. jsh2001
    10:39 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Women’s Assistant is the only thing I see posted.

12. kingrex3
    11:01 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I think the caller taking issue w/ ESPN was referring to the 2 headlines yesterday on ESPN.COM
    Under “Top Headlines”, the first 2 listed were:

“Kentucky loses top seven scorers to NBA draft”

“Okafor to join elite Duke list of one-and-dones”

Apparently we just lose guys to the league BUT dUKe’s “early entrants” are “Elite”.

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:16 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Being “objective” should equal rings first. They accomplished the most, most talented or not. In that aspect, it should put the 2012 team #1 easy.

1. 2012
    2. 2015
    3. 2010
    4. 2014
    5. 2009
    6. 2013

• plumloopy
      11:49 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I think you missed 2011 and accidentally added 2009.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:51 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

You’re right. I’m a dummy…