KSR is live from Griffin Gate! (Friday Show Thread)

Tune in to today’s show for a review of the Calipari 30 for 30 and a look ahead to the spring game. Or if you’re in Lexington, just go on out to Griffin Gate and hear the show live.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for KSR is live from Griffin Gate! (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Mostly enjoyed Cal’s 30 for 30; could have done without Bob Knight’s two cents right at the beginning.
    Hey, Bobbie….dementia is a terrible thing; but, if you don’t say anything, no one will know.

• RealCatsFan
      10:11 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Had to miss it because we took my daughter’s volleyball team to a scrimmage between the UK women’s team and Purdue. Pretty fun scrimmage, and the kids love watching the “big girls” play (although the max attention span of a 15-YO is apparently about 45 minutes. After that, they were all goofing around with their phones again.)

I will watch it tonight on the DVR with a cold beer in my hand. 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      10:12 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

i’m watching it right now on espn3. about 40 minutes in and it’s really good so far

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Hats off to ukjay – master of the art of multi-tasking. 🙂

• Realme
      10:16 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I dvr’d it too. Looking forward to watching it and pretending not to tear up.

• ukjaybrat
      10:21 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

“multi-tasking” – HA! like i’m getting any work done lol

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Had to record it and will watch later. I’m having a very busy week.

2. taylorsvillecat
    10:08 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I click on Listen To, and so far have heard 6 commercials in a row. WTF? Oh, finally the show starts.

• ukjaybrat
      10:12 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

it always starts a few minutes after 10:00. especiually if you’re listening on iheart because it has a much larger delay than over the air

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Yep, if I am listening to KSR on the radio and I miss something, I fire up iHeart to try to catch it – poor man’s DVR for the radio. 😉

3. Duuuuuude
    10:15 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Well shoot….. will On Not Done air again? I missed it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I think they show those over and over.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

The attributes Matt just described about Clinton apply to just about every successful salesman.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Matt, no rational basis for removing UNC’s or Duke’s banners as well.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Meant to say “no rational basis for NOT removing Duke’s and UNC’s banners”.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

UMass and Memphis were both shafted; no way the schools or the coaching staffs could have known.
    And Camby and Rose were long gone.

6. Realme
    10:20 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Memphis and UMass should re-raise their banners on the day UNC raises their new one. (I stole this off a tweet I saw last night, but I agree with it).

• CATandMONKEY
      10:24 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA has become simply a caricature of what it once hoped and purported to be.
      Consistency?
      Integrity?
      Honesty?
      These things are not to be found within the supposedly hallowed territory claimed by the NCAA.

• Realme
      10:29 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I’ve said it before. As much as I hate Lousiville, they should not be punished at all. No one should, because the NCAA has no credibility and should be held accountable for the complete lack of consistency, transparency, common sense or fairness in this process.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

C&M, the Emperor (NCAA) has no clothes…

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Realme, the ironic thing is that the most notorious cheater, UNC, has publicly threatened to sue the NCAA if sanctions are imposed on them. If there is any program that has grounds to sue the NCAA, it is Memphis. UNC has NO EXCUSE.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

As much as I would love to see Memphis re-raise their banner, I can’t see Tubby stirring the pot like that. Would love to see him give the finger to the NCAA, though.

7. runtsfan
    10:21 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal could not have shot a better recruiting tool if he had done it himself. He has the players’ backs no matter what and he never criticizes them so long as anything they do helps them “chase their dream.”

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal does prepare his “students” to chase their dream. Why do kids go to college…to prepare for their careers…Cal’s kids don’t get an MBA; but, they get an NBA degree.
      I hope Bamba and Knox were watching and paying attention.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I still think they should have to take some basic business ethics classes so they go into the whole big-money situation in the NBA with their eyes wide open. Maybe some biology classes too so they know about all the “baby-mama’s” coming their way. 😉

8. cats2018
    10:30 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

How about mentioning that Isaac Humphries is now considered a draft pick as nbadraft.net has him going in the second round.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

A 7-footer that can shoot pretty well. he’s exactly what the NBA needs. i could imagine there are some teams with some interest if he can prove he can handle himself in the paint with an NBA big

9. CATandMONKEY
    10:36 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

That is 100% true about Cal and most other super successful leaders.

The Dean of my Grad School at UK remembered every student by name. He also read 4 -5 international and the local newspapers every morning. If you were an international student from Nigeria, he would ask your opinion of what was happening back home with an election or public works project. That type of attention from a “higher up” carries weight that lasts a lifetime.

10. Realme
    10:45 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

It’s fine to say the sport would be better if they stayed 2 years, but that’s not the rule. Don’t put that on Cal or the players, put it on the NBA.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

That plays into something that has really been bothering me about the negative portion of our fanbase lately. They have an undeserved sense of entitlement. Some fans think that they “deserve” wins. You’re just a fan. You deserve nothing.

• Realme
      10:52 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Oh yeah. That’s very prevalent. Cal took us back to the final four after a 13 YEAR (or was it 11) drought, and people are unsatisfied because he only has one title in 8 years. Like anyone can just get a title if they bother to try.

• CatBlue in LR
      11:26 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

’98-2011.

13 years. (Thanks, Tubby.)

11. runningunnin.454
    10:50 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Lil Rickie and Coach Krushevski don’t invest emotionally in their players; Cal wants to be a father figure and teach them about life and how to be productive members of the community…how to give back.
    If K cared anything about building character, he would not have continued to play Laettner and Tripper Allen.

• Realme
      10:53 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal makes them better people instead of spoiling them and making excuses for them. It’s a well-rounded, moral approach that he doesn’t get enough credit for.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Pitino consistently throws his players under the bus in a way that Cal would NEVER do. I also read somewhere that Coach K called one of his players (I think it was Maggette) when they were going one and done and chewed out the kid and his mother and screamed at them “You F**cked MY Program!!”

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I was wrong, it was William Avery that Coach K said that to.

12. Realme
    10:55 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

So Epps and Ahkator were projected 12 and 13, and went 33 and 3 instead. Good for them both, though, I hope they love their new teams.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I can’t believe Epps went so low.

• Realme
      11:00 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, that was dumb, but hopefully it’s one of those situations where things work out for the best.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I think Epps sacrificed her game this past year to get the other players involved, and for the good of the team. That may have hurt her in the draft; but, cream rises to the top.

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Epps is a baller and will be the steal of the draft.

13. Realme
    10:59 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks it’s weird they keep acting like Cal was bothered by the 30 for 30? I haven’t seen any quotes except how grateful he is for his players and for all the support. Are they basing this all on caller speculation about his facial expressions? Or did I miss something?

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

I think it has something to do with the pre-screening earlier this week.

14. Realme
    11:30 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Realme tip of the day: Do not try to type a coherent email to a vendor while Chester is talking.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

Ha! 🙂

15. ukjaybrat
    11:43 am April 14, 2017 Permalink

just finished the 30 for 30. If you are a great baller and have a soul, there’s no reason to go anywhere other than Kentucky. We’re getting Bamba and Knox.

• RealCatsFan
      12:03 pm April 14, 2017 Permalink

Hope you are right, jay! 🙂

16. secrick
    12:00 pm April 14, 2017 Permalink

Watched it last night and thought it was very good and thought Ky got a good call on the T they called on Cal for stepping out of the box in the 96 game i think. Cal has always yelled at his players even when he was a young man. He say some funny stuff over on the sideline.