KSR is live from CATLANTA, meow (Thursday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt, Ryan, Shannon, and Drew are live from their hotel room in Catlanta (meow) to preview tonight’s Sweet 16 matchup with Kansas State.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

78 Comments for KSR is live from CATLANTA, meow (Thursday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:56 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

First!

9:56 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Is that still a thing? I’m older and new to this.

10:13 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I think most of us have slowed down in our old age, so it’s pretty easy to grab the first post these days. šŸ™‚

10:16 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I recall the days when it was a fight for people to get the first post.

10:20 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Jerry, unfortunately now that Matt only looks at Twitter there are only a handful of regular posters here on the show thread. We get some pretty decent banter going, but unfortunately the comments section is not as lively as it used to be. Unless you are talking about right after a loss, when all the trolls and Eeyore’s come out.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

But this is literally the only thread of the day where you can get in some actual discussion instead of a bunch of toddlers screaming for attention, so there’s that.

10:28 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Welcome aboard, Jerry. šŸ™‚

2. JerryDamage
    10:10 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m not really nervous, more anxious. It’s weird to go from being relaxed and seeing what happens to being nervous about these games.

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

that’s my felings. then add on the game wont start til close to 10. ill be sitting around waiting all day

10:34 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Yup. It’s going to be a long day at work today.

10:49 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I am surprisingly calm today. That will likely change as the day goes on and we get closer to game time.

• ClutchCargo
      10:58 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Eager is more accurate than nervous or anxious, for how I feel today.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:12 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Minus the stress of all the tight games, I feel just like 2014 all over again. Went into it expecting nothing at all and it was one of the best tournaments ever.

10:15 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

And I probably want to see this group of kids make it to the FF more than most other teams at UK under Cal. They have been through a lot this season – losing streaks, injuries, fans hesitant to embrace them – and they have grown so much as individuals and as a team. Hopefully they will be rewarded with a banner to hang!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

WKU vs Ok State last night was a great game, great atmosphere; the announcers sure enjoyed calling it. Have to say WKU surprised me, didn’t think they could win in Stillwater.
    Both teams played better than Virginia, Arizona, UNCheat, Michigan State, Xavier etc., and should have been in the Big Show.
    Good luck in NY, Toppers.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

It might be a long shot, but I hope Stansbury can/will stay at WKU for a long time. It would be great to have another quality basketball program in KY. Ralph Willard had them *this* close back in the ’90’s.

5. JerryDamage
    10:15 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

2014 I just kept hearing people all season long say that it wasn’t going to happen. I held my faith strong though and knew they could make a run. For Warren Buffets Billion Dollar Bracket challenge I put UK winning it all. Not because I was a homer but because when I looked at it I knew it could happen. End result was me getting top 10,000 out of over 15 million people. And I’d have probably gotten to the $100,000.00 part of it had Florida not choked.

10:17 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Cal should print out Forde’s article about Cal “Making his own bed” and frame it and hang it in his office. I bet Cal smirks at him every time he sees him. I know I would!

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Anything by Forde deserves nothing better than being kept around for emergency backup toilet paper. He definitely should still smirk at him, though.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:24 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Can’t believe a doctor would clear Dean Wade to play after suffering a stress fracture two weeks ago.
    Those are insidious injuries that can take 6-8 weeks to heal…we all remember Sam Bowie.

10:25 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Maybe he is ready to go. I just hope he’s not rushing back and then hurts it worse as a result. They need him to have a chance but it’s not worth risking whatever future that kid has over it.

10:29 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

A lot of the catastrophic injuries like the one suffered by Kevin Ware start off as stress fractures that are ignored until something like that happens. Nothing to screw around with.

10:31 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

That’s one thing I respect about Cal – I don’t think he would rush a kid back out on the court if it could jeopardize his future.

10:34 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Cal would take the L if it meant it rather than risk it for the kid. Other coaches though would play you in a heart beat if you said you were ready to go. I can see guys like Coach K and Pitino doing that.

Look at Daniel Bryan. The WWE had ratings with him and could have kept using him. But they did what was right for him and kept him out until he was healed. Now he’s ready to go and later on in life this move likely helped him out more than we’ll ever know.

• In all fairness, some people still think Pitino should have played DA in the 97 final game because he supposedly was dominating practice. Part of me wonders if he should have played him, but he ultimately probably did the right thing.

Matt insists that if we won that year we wouldn’t have won in 98 because they wouldn’t have been as motivated, but he doesn’t know that. You don’t think they would have liked to have a 3-Peat?

He’s also the same guy who told Oscar, on the air, that he was kind of glad we didn’t win it in 14 because then we wouldn’t have had the year we had in 15 (I believe he thinks Willie and/or the twins would have gone pro). Glad may not be the right word, but when Oscar talked about how disappointed he was that we lost to UCONN, Matt took issue with it. I’m thinking “No, no, no! You take a championship in whatever year you can win it!”. Yes, 2015 was a great ride, but I don’t get Matt’s thinking. You don’t know who would have come back or what their level of motivation would be.

10:42 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

In Pitino’s defense, he probably could have (and some would argue should have) played Derek Anderson in the 97 title game, and UK would very likely have 9 titles. But Pitino knew the kid was going to be a lottery pick and would not risk his future, in spite of the fact that Derek was begging to be put in. I have to respect Pitino for that. Maybe he was different back then…

10:45 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

cg, you beat me to it! And never underestimate the power of momentum.

• Exactly.

Now, to be fair to Matt. he may have said that about the 14 team before the Wisky game in 15. We still may have been chasing 40-0. I don’t remember. Either way, I still don’t get his thinking.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

cg, those might be a couple of the worst takes ever by Matt or anybody else.

7. “On, on, U of K, we are right for the fight tonight…!!!”

8. secrick
    10:34 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Once again a nervous day at work . So proud of this team and Cal for sticking with the guys. No matter what happens tonight it’s been a fun season and i think we are headed to the final 4. GO BIG BLUE

10:42 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I hear ya. It’s been a long long week so far just looking ahead to tonight.

9. JerryDamage
    10:42 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I don’t get why we need to feel sorry for playing who we have to play. Get mad at all the other teams who lost. Don’t get mad at us for winning.

• Yep, like J-Dub said the other day, it’s not our fault that UVA and UA soiled themselves.

She actually said crapped the bed, but I’m too erudite for such verbiage šŸ™‚

10:56 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m not. šŸ™‚

11:03 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I refuse to apologize for playing Buffalo. Arizona losing is on Arizona. They laid an egg and we whalloped the team that beat them soundly. Every team is responsible for their own wins and losses. We didn’t make Virgina lose in embarrassing fashion. All UK can do is beat whoever is in front of them.

11:05 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Yup. I don’t get why we’re the bad guy for just playing who we are supposed to play. In years past I don’t recall teams that got a break being called out. It’s just the writers being frustrated that for once, we got what looks like an easy road to the Final Four. They have no problem when we get a bracket of death, but give us a break for once and we should just drop out of the tournament because it was too easy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

As someone in another post commented, consider the source. That writer covered Memphis at the time Cal left and is apparently still butthurt over that.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I watched several Kansas State games this year; they beat Vandy and Georgia both by 5 points. They’re bothered by athletic teams with length.
    If Wenyen and Hami play like last game, I have no worries.

11. JerryDamage
    10:49 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Not sure which station everyone listens on, but I really hate the Magic Vapor Shop guy. The way he says DOTCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM at the end annoys me to no end.

• I had to call someone who’s last name is Winchester recently and I wanted to yell “WINCHESTAH! WINCHESTAH! WINCHESTAH!” at her.

Also, it almost sounds like DAT-CAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM when he says it.

10:55 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I did some radio when I was in college so it likely stems from that and how these ads have always annoyed me. The rest of his ad isn’t bad, it’s just that DOTTTCOMMMMMM that grinds my gears.

12. Keep it going guys. I’ll check back but I’m busy. Got a deadline coming up that I thought I had another week for but I looked at the date wrong. Ugh.

CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:52 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Nothing like a nice little surprise like that. šŸ˜‰

13. JerryDamage
    10:54 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Catlanta….Meow

10:58 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Putting meow into things reminds me of Super Troopers.

11:00 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Meow don’t get me started. We have to play hard tonight. And we have to do it meow, not wait til halftime to show up. If we don’t do it meow, it wont happen and we’ll get beat and go home.

(On a side note I’m excited for Super Troopers 2.)

14. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Anybody tired of hearing UofL’s women’s coach whine about a 9:30 start time on Friday night in Lexington?

10:59 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m just tired of Jeff Walz period. He seems like a jerk.

11:00 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Hell, at least it’s on a Friday. Not like most people (including the players) have to get up the next day for class or work.

• ukjaybrat
      11:03 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

FTFY

“Iā€™m just tired of Jeff Walz period. He is a jerk.”

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m tired of UofL at all levels. “We’re not retaining David Padgett”. No, of course not, he stepped up and did an admirable job under very tough circumstances. Nah, you don’t owe him anything. I can’t imagine any a-list coach swimming toward that sinking ship.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

The thing is, why the hell would somebody like Mack dive into that cesspool when they don’t even know how bad they are going to get crushed over the pay for play scandal that hasn’t even been investigated yet by the NCAA. Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe our little brother.

11:15 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Throw in the lack of stability at U of L with an interim president and an interim athletic director, and now no coach with NO recruits coming in next season. Seriously, who wants to go coach that??? U of L may not even have any money to pay a new coach after Ramsay, Jurich, and company embezzled it all.

11:19 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

See I’m not so concerned about what is coming down the road. That’s years off from happening. The FBI has to finish up their part before the NCAA will even start to look at it. Then that process will take years before they rule on it.

The concern is more about the president, the athletic director, some players but no recruits, and the financial stability of the university. Those are more than enough to keep a good coach away.

It’ll be interesting to see who they get.

15. JerryDamage
    11:06 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Snow again? It’s SPRING. GO AWAY WINTER, we don’t want you hear no more!

16. CATandMONKEY
    11:07 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Cat-Atlanta.

That’s sooooo Cutler.

17. JerryDamage
    11:14 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

“Does Pitino tip well?”

I’m sure he gives the tip as often as he can.

11:16 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Ew.

11:16 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, and it only takes 15 seconds to provide that tip. šŸ˜€

11:17 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

On another note, you fit right in with the rest of us regular show threaders.

18. secrick
    11:18 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Wish i was down in Atlanta today with all those Cat fans, you know i might even have a cold one if i was there.

11:19 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

You don’t have to be in Catlanta to have a cold one. I’ll have one tonight.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

The last 2 times the tournament came to Louisville, I was at a client literally next door to the Yum! Center. Amazing atmosphere, even though I didn’t get to attend the day games. To have that many Cat fans in one place behind enemy lines like that was awesome!

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I drink coffee during the games; and, if we win…I celebrate with a Bloody Mary. I’m pretty dull; but did you all see UK fans’ superstitions? That was a great article…I laughed til I cried.
      Do we have a psychiatrist in the house?

11:28 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I was at the YUM center for the opening rounds in 2012 and 2015. It was pretty awesome seeing all that blue in there. At least 80% of the crowd was UK fans both times.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I find it hard to muster any real sympathy for a guy who is a multimillionaire, living in a luxury beach front house in Florida, taking his boat to the local watering hole whenever he wants to. He gets to spend his time at the gym or the golf course. There are a LOT of people who would like to have Pitino’s “problems”. Advice – Rick, stop sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, and find someone less fortunate who needs a helping hand. There is no better medicine for the soul than helping someone who needs it. Can’t think of a lot of people in a better position to do it.

11:25 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

And stop trying to sue U of L for more money. You have more than enough money Rick, and left U of L in disgrace. Go do some charity work or something, and get your life together.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Let me say that I have no sympathy for that guy. But I’m also not going to deny that he has major problems. With big money comes big bills and big problems. I believe life really is a lot simpler being kind of poor. He’s still an a-hole, though.

20. JerryDamage
    11:24 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

I fully believe that Pitino did not know about Katina. I think he knew SOMETHING was going on, but more likely he told them to do whatever they had to do and not tell him the details so that if this ever happened, he could do what he’s doing.

The Adidas deal I believe he knew. There’s too many parts that an assistant coach would have had to organize that I don’t think they would have been trusted or able to do without Pitino knowing and helping.

He’s either the most naive person in the world, or he knew. Usually the simplest explanation is the one that’s right.

11:26 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

If he didn’t know, he should have. Brian Bowen was a 5* who just fell into his lap when they weren’t even recruiting him. That should raise some red flags.

• secrick
      11:29 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

All this happened under his watch and they had no choice but fire him. Personally i think he new about all of it but i don’t like the guy so maybe that’s why i think so. Matter of fact i don’t like anything about Louisville sports.

21. CATandMONKEY
    11:52 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

The KSR Uncensored Podcast was my first introduction to Tomlin.

More Tomlin = better KSR

11:53 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

He is pretty hilarious.

11:55 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

We need more uncensored podcast. The top 50 UK players podcast was well worth the 2.99 or whatever it was.

22. J-Dub421
    11:59 am March 22, 2018 Permalink

Have a great day Cat fans! Go Cats! Meow!

12:05 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

Have a good day with an even better night. Let’s get this W!