KSR is LIVE at Tin Roof St. Louis (Friday Show Thread)

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.  Matt Jones and the KSR crew are in the middle of a packed Tin Roof in St. Louis to prepare the Big Blue Nation for Kentucky’s SEC Tournament opener against Georgia.

Everyone’s hyped, but it’s not the most provoking storyline in play.  Will Matt have a voice?  Stay tuned to hear if he’s still cracking, or if he’s returned to form in time for one of the biggest basketball days of the year.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

70 Comments for KSR is LIVE at Tin Roof St. Louis (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

With Middle Tenn getting upset, maybe Western Ky can sneak into the tournament. Kentucky might have 4 teams in the big show.

• secrick
      10:03 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

No way, Western or the Cards get in. Having said that i can’t believe they would let Oklahoma in the trnt and not Louisville. I am not a card fan but they would beat the sooners.

• RealCatsFan
      10:09 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

If Louisville had at least kept it close against UVA, they would probably be in. But an 18 point margin looks like a blowout to me. UL has lost 3 of their last 4, albeit 3 of those were to the #1 team. Their biggest problem is a lack of wins against Q1 and Q2 teams. They have a couple of likely NBA quality guys on the roster, but no superstar. That might also work against them – the NCAA wants star power to draw eyeballs to the set. However, the scandal swirling around them might actually play into their favor in a perverted way – people love to watch a train wreck.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know; if WKU can get by ODU, they would be the favorite in their tourney. And, UL was tied for 8 in the ACC, and many times they take 8 from that conference.

2. catsfan39
    10:08 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Looks like a KSR golf scramble champ in the front row.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Matt sounds a little bit like Dickie V today. 😀

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

If Vando plays in the NCAA tourney at all, I think it seals the deal that he will go in the NBA draft. The earlier injuries combined with the scare of the sprained ankle will be on his mind when decision time comes around. Hope my prediction is wrong, because he would be a HUGE help next year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

You’re right; and, I don’t think he can afford to play another year for free. Shame a guy with his heart and motor is limited physically. Reminds me of Sam Bowie, although Bowie was a #2 pick.

• secrick
      10:26 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Yep, he’s gone but just think of it like this a better shooter will take his place. We gotta think on the positive side of things. Glass half full.

• But his rebounding and motor are hard to duplicate secrick. Not to mention those bullet passes from someone not a point guard. Unbelievable.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Don’t anybody laugh; but; Vando’s passes remind me of Rondo’s bullets.

• The first pass I saw him make I thought “Whoa!”

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

His court vision and passing are not unlike Rondo. No laughter here.

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I still think Quade is the best passer on the team, but that’s just me.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Quade is certainly the most consistent shooter, and runs the offense really well.

5. Come on Nick! Please unmoderate my totally non-offensive and non-political comment!

6. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Bad Company was one of my favorite bands growing up (STD was playing one of their songs). I saw their lead singer, Paul Rodgers, at Bourbon and Beyond, and he was excellent. Dude has to be in his late 60’s, and his voice sounds as good today as it did back then. He obviously takes care of himself too – ran around on the stage like a 30-year-old.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

A really great band; loved their cover of the old Coasters’ song Youngblood.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Saw Bad Company in concert several years ago. They were great.

• Johnny Fish & the Fins covered that song on Happy Days also. 🙂

They were actually called Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids. I think they were trying to be kind of another Sha Na Na with 50’s covers.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I saw a Damn Yankees and Bad Company concert in the old Cardinal Stadium quite a few years ago. That was fantastic!

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I think Flash Cadillac was also in “American Graffiti”. I saw Sha Na Na in Louisville when I was at UK.
      Greasers forever.

• Bowser was very funny on their syndicated TV show.

• Clutch, that would have been a great concert! I saw Styx back in the 90’s before they threw Dennis Deyoung out of the band. lol

Pat Benatar opened for them. Awesome! She’s still my fave female rocker. Absolutely kicked butt. Along with Heart.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I saw Heart with Journey a few years ago, they were both awesome.

• J-Dub, did you see Journey with Steve Augierri (sp?) or the current lead singer? I wish I had seen Journey with Perry, but the other guys would have been okay too. I saw Heart and Cheap Trick together in the early 90s.

There used to be a couple full Journey concerts on YouTube that someone recorded off MTV in the 80s. I don’t know if they’re still there. One was in Houston after Jonathan Cain joined, but I think the other is when Greg Rollie was still with them.

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

That Heart song became “our song” in a funny way. When I first stated dating my wife, her mom was not crazy about me…Nam vet and a rep for…um brawling.
      In one heated argument, by wife blurted out “But mom, he’s a magic man”. HA HA HA HA.

• You were a brawler and yet you still have the hands to be a surgeon. Ha!

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Yep, two busted fingers and a busted thumb…Hee Haw.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I can’t hear “Magic Man” without thinking about Talladega Nights – “Now you see him, now you don’t”. 😀

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Their current lead singer, who sounds just like Perry.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Saw journey at the YUM center last year. I will say this – Neal Schon still has major chops on guitar. The little Phillipino guy does an admirable job and it all over the stage, but he ain’t Steve Perry. He struggles a bit on the really high notes. Of course, we saw them on the tail end of a long tour, so his voice might have been getting strained. Wish they had played more of heir old stuff from the 70’s.

7. kybred1
    10:39 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

What is the spread today against the Dogs?

8. gumbyfromky
    10:44 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

If Ryan gets a hair replacement can Drew get ear replacements?

9. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Oklahoma in the first game; that’s rich…how often do you get to play an NIT team in the NCAA tournament?

10. secrick
    11:04 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Maten will be hard to stop, don’t think Nick can handle the job but Diallo might just out quick him.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

PJ should be able to match up with Maten physically.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Surely fatigue will get to Maten; three games in three days in tough.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

We should run Georgia to death today. They’ll be toast by the second half.

11. Anyway, I’m home from work sick today (sinus infection), but the upside is watching the game in 1080 on TV instead of on my work PC. Oh, and the other upside is I am home from work. 🙂

Go Cats!

BTW, where is Realme? It isn’t a Show Thread without all the regulars (of course I missed yesterday going to the doc and to get a Z-Pack).

• ClutchCargo
      11:32 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I am almost never legitimately sick enough to stay home from work. The last time I had the flu, I felt like crap, but at the same time it was nice to be able to just roll over and go back to sleep with a clear conscience!

• J-Dub421
      11:54 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

If you have anything contagious, you should stay home so as not to infect your co-workers.

• ClutchCargo
      12:02 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

I always stay home if I’m contagious. I just rarely am.

12. J-Dub421
    11:14 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

That interview right there is why I continue to back Hami and our players. They are good kids who work hard, and I don’t expect them to be a finished product at 18-19.

• secrick
      11:26 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

You know i use to watch the game and would say to my Wife and our friends why in the world is he letting him play and then i heard Cal say what if he was your kid and i realized how stupid i was about this . I hope he goes for 10 and 10 today.

• I understand Cal’s statement…to a point. Some might say what about SKJ’s parents? How do they feel when Richards isn’t playing spectacularly?

• secrick
      11:35 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

CG, Good point

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I hope SKJ gets some minutes…I would hate to see him transfer.

• ClutchCargo
      11:43 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

I will trust Cal to figure all of that out, but I think you can’t treat everyone the same. I learn this lesson every single day as the dad of two kids who are motivated in much different ways than the other. Hami’s path to improvement might be getting it done in the game (supposedly he dominates in practice), whereas SKJ maybe doesn’t have the best habits in practice (I have no idea, just guessing here).

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

All I can remember is being at a game two years ago, and SKJ attended the game and hung around afterward to sign autographs – and he was not even on the team yet! The guy just seemed to be genuinely basking in the UK limelight. To see him sitting on the bench unhappy just really gets to me. Wish he would get some court time and break through! Really nice kid – he deserves it.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:52 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Well, I really didn’t enjoy that; he can’t play on a bad ankle.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

It’s more important to have Vando for the big dance. We can live without him for the SEC tournament if necessary.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

OMG, Ryan appears to be channeling his inner Tom Crean, kissing dudes on the mouth!

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am March 9, 2018 Permalink

Ryan does like to be a bit creepy from time to time….

• RealCatsFan
      12:08 pm March 9, 2018 Permalink

That little grunt/laugh that they use for the KSR App sounds a little bit like Butthead from “Beavis and Butthead”.

• J-Dub421