KSR is live at the teacher’s rally in Frankfort (Monday Show Thread)

Photo via @lbblackford

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the teacher’s rally in Frankfort. Tune in to hear Matt, Ryan, and Drew set the scene as thousands of teachers protest Governor Bevin’s pension reform bill, which was slipped into the docket last Thursday night. Don’t worry; they’ll also discuss plenty of Kentucky sports, including the latest on the players’ NBA Draft Decisions.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

109 Comments for KSR is live at the teacher’s rally in Frankfort (Monday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:57 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

First!!!

2. JerryDamage
    10:00 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Should be a fun show. We’ll get to hear Matt’s take on the pension stuff.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Politics today sucks. If congress men and women vote for a bill without reading it, they should be in prison.
      No more “We won’t know what’s in it until we pass it”.

• JerryDamage
      10:20 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I saw several of them say that they had read it though and that it was a version of a previous bill with some amendments made to it. Knowing a few of them personally I don’t really believe that they all had no clue what was in it and had to vote 5 minutes after it was given to them.

10:23 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And why is it that every one of these bills look like a New York City phone book? How the hell could anyone find the time to read that and understand it all? Perfect example of what happens when a bunch of lawyers are in charge…

• ^^^This^^^. I can understand that if you’re drawn to being a lawyer that you would be drawn to being a lawmaker, but we do have waaaaaaaaaaaay too many lawyers at every level of government. One friend of mine is as conservative as they come but he had no use for Ted Cruz because he’s a lawyer.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Well at least we have a two year reprieve from UConn women. They finished 36-1; that sounds familiar; has to hurt…wait a minute.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t watch the women’s national championship and I will not watch the men’s either. I canceled my television subscription the week we lost.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Oh, I continue to watch…hopeless basketball junkie. I’ll even watch the NBA playoffs…LOL.

10:09 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

You won’t miss it, I cut the cord 2 years ago and have no regrets. I can find the games online and stream them, that’s all that matters to me.

10:13 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Last week of Directv in our household happening now. Already bought antenna, and plan to do streaming free trials for as long as they last & then will pick one. Looking forward to sitting through needless hours on the phone one last time with Directv in order to tell buh bye.

10:15 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Good for you Realme, It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in years.

• JerryDamage
      10:18 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

My wife literally cut the cord while doing yard work about a year and a half ago. We did without it for awhile and then picked up Hulu’s streaming service. Haven’t missed any game that I’ve wanted to watch since that time. Been really happy with it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:19 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

we cutr last year to sign up for sling. then dropped that when youtube tv came out in louisville. Was contemplating turning it off during the summer bc we don’t really watch that much tv outside of sports. but at only $35/mo, it’s not the wallet burner time warner was. and it’s nice to just throw it on disney junior for the kids here and there.

• JerryDamage
      10:21 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Oh Disney JR is really popular with my kids. Outside of sports, I think that’s the only thing that anyone watches on it.

10:26 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Realme, I had to cancel my parents’ DTV and AT&T phone/internet for them since they went into a nursing home. Had to drive to one of their offices, and even then it took an hour and a half.

10:29 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Are your folks together in the same nursing home?

10:31 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Realme, they are, at least for now. But there is some question if the place they are at now will qualify for their long term care insurance to kick in. Waiting to see if they accept our claim. What fun!

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:11 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’ll get the PSVue or Sling TV during basketball and football season. That’s literally the only thing I watch on cable. We’ve got Netflix and mooch off family for Amazon Prime and Hulu.

10:13 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

TV programming has gotten way worse in the last 2 years, hard to believe some of the programming they are putting on these days.

10:17 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been pouring over my DVR list, and AMC for Walking Dead is really the only thing that really matters to me besides the sports channels.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

My wife doesn’t watch horror flicks…I don’t allow it. Took her to the theater to see Se7en. She shrieked like a banshee, and all the people turned around and stared at us..embarrassing.

10:41 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Ha! I’m not at all into gore / horror. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with TWD and got hooked. I put my hand up between my eyes and the screen when they’re being really gross. The cliche is true, it’s not about the zombies, it’s about the people who are still alive.

10:55 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

They show more gore and violence in network TV during prime time than they did even in R rated movies fifteen years ago. And we wonder why kids are shooting each other up in the schools.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:37 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

How good is Fear TWD compared to the original? I’ve been planning on starting it, but can’t bring myself to do it yet.

11:40 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

It’s not on the same level as the original, but still worth watching, imo.

• ClutchCargo
      2:20 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

FTWD started off pretty terrible and I almost stopped watching after a couple of episodes. Turns out it was just some good character development and it has gotten as good or better than TWD, imo.

6. Who says that lady can’t still burn a couch? 🙂

10:23 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I think it would be the right thing to do on the steps of the capitol.

• JerryDamage
      10:25 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Maybe she’s a Nova or Michigan fan?

10:25 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Maybe they should get hold of the “sewage bill” and burn that. It would probably burn longer than a full size sectional!

10:28 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Meanwhile the first order of business for our esteemed lawmakers every session is to vote themselves a raise.

7. JerryDamage
    10:23 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

“We’re going to be here at this rally and I can talk about it, but I don’t want you guys to talk about it even though I’m bringing it up to talk about.”

8. Well, I’ll be back in tomorrow folks. Not what I want to listen to today.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

So how are we going to attract good teachers in the future if they gut the pension for new teachers? My niece and her husband are both teachers and live in Evansville. His brother lives in Louisville, and they want to move here to be close to him, but don’t see a chance of that happening now. It would be a major step back for them financially. Sad.

10:32 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

If you look at where we are ranked it could be argued that our lawmakers don’t think education is that important. After all look at all those we have elected in this state. Once again we elected a Gov and Lt Gov who are not from KY.

• Mc12
      10:40 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Can he ask for more in salary and invest the difference or is that a no go? Let’s just put a casino in KY and use some of that revenue and reinvest it into our schools

10:42 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Legalize casinos and marijuana, put proceeds into pension fund.

• JerryDamage
      10:42 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

The problem is that it’s 41 Billion in the hole over the next 20 years. Even if we legalize Hemp and make Casinos, I don’t see them coming close to being enough to fill that deficit.

• Mc12
      10:45 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I don’t either. Pensions are a drain but I think if you take them away, as many corporations have done, those representatives are hopefully losing their pensions too. They can retire young and taxpayers cover more years in retirement than they actually worked

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Colorado rakes in more than a billion per year from marijuana alone.

• JerryDamage
      10:51 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

So we’re still over 20 Billion dollars in the hole.

10:51 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And they are $41 billion in the hole because why? Because former government leaders in BOTH parties took the easy way out to fund government for years. Now the chickens have come home to roost. In a way I feel for Bevin – he is in a no-win situation. I think they need to pull out all the stops and come up with some creative ways to fund the pension fund going forward – hemp, gambling, whatever. And I understand how pensions have become unsustainable, but if they are not going to provide it going forward, then they should be eligible for some kind of SS benefits. If I had paid into the fund for 20 years and now look forward to getting nothing, I would be pissed too.

• JerryDamage
      11:05 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

When a bucket is leaking, the solution isn’t to keep filling it up with more water. The solution is to stop it from leaking. That’s hopefully what they’ve done with this bill.

I see why they are upset. You can’t fund it. I know it was a promise. But it was a bad promise. And it’s a promise that will have some horrible repercussions if left as it is.

• Mc12
      11:06 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

RCF, I haven’t read a ton in to this but if they paid in to the pension fund for 20 years, I thought they were entitled to it, and this impacts new hires only? Is that incorrect?

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

They also want to raid the teachers’ health insurance fund, which teachers have pre-paid into (it’s literally their money), but Bevin wants to steal $270 million to use for other things. Kentucky gives away more in tax cuts for corporations every year than we take in as tax revenue. Teachers have given up raises, etc. in the past in order to keep their pensions. Bevin wants to jack teachers pensions, but I don’t see him or any other lawmakers giving up their pensions.

10. Mc12
    10:31 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

My company did something similar regarding our pension. I figured I couldn’t protest because they would have fired me. No leverage lol. I do ok in the alternative options though but they didn’t want that liability out there

11. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Time for STD to cue up some Pink Floyd and Alice Cooper.

12. 4everUKblue
    10:33 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Schools out for summer!

10:37 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

“We don’t need no education…”

13. UKrailbird
    10:35 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

“Now that I (Matt) have given my ‘spin’ on the teacher pension issue, please do not call in to voice your opinion. This is my show and if you don’t agree with my political position on this issue, I do not want to hear it”.

10:37 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

He will fit in perfectly in DC if he were to be elected.

• JerryDamage
      10:37 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

That’s exactly how it comes off. I’ve listened to KSR every day for over 7 years and I am starting to see why people are turning away and not listening anymore.

10:38 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

What’s your position on it, railbird. Just curious.

10:39 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

IMO, Matt has a huge ego and loves to talk about himself a lot.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:43 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And you listen because….?

I’ll hang up and listen.

10:46 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Dear Laker Cat, I seldom listen, I am listening today because I am visiting my parents and I’m bored if you must know. I do however enjoy listening when they have special guests. Nice handle Matt.

10:46 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

He does talk about himself a ton, but it is his show… And it remains extremely successful because when a couple listeners drop out, new ones drawn in by the non sports stuff start listening. That said, I do hope hour 2 can be politics free. Not my thing either.

• Booby Petrino
      10:47 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I don’t listen bc I find Matt to be unlikable. But I am fine with contributing to his income by coming to the site all the time. I’m grateful he started the site, but I will never listen to him on the radio…I’ve tried and it’s awful.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

So you think it’s okay for the government to just renege on their obligation to teachers and other public servants? Do you know that teachers can’t receive social security and that their pensions are all they will have to retire on?

10:49 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Sometimes Realme when he talks about the breaking sporting news he is very good, I don’t enjoy the rasslin’ talk or the politics at all. Most of the time I follow the show thread without listening.

10:50 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

BP, I love that you are a show thread regular even though you don’t listen. I get a little Matt fatigue at times, but am addicted to the show.

10:51 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Not sure who you’re talking to JDub, but I am totally against what is being done to teachers.

10:51 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Wrestling talk is also bad, but the all time worst was Bachelor talk.

• Mc12
      10:52 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

This is just my opinion and many may not be disciplined but I wish I didn’t receive social security because that means I’m not having it deducted from each paycheck and wish I could have that set aside and saved. I believe I’d have way more at retirement and it can pass along. That’s just me though.

10:54 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

If Kentuckians statewide were better educated would we elect some of these yahoos? Maybe that’s why our lawmakers don’t value education in this commonwealth.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:56 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

4everUKblue – My mom is a fairly recent breast cancer survivor. Barely, following the most ferocious version of it and a double mastectomy, countless chemo and radiation treatments. My dad has had multiple sclerosis for 11 years, although a mild version, it still affects him daily, primarily his vision.

My point being…step away from Matt and KSR today (like the rest of your days sounds like). Don’t be bored while visiting your parents. Seriously.

11:00 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Laker Cat, DO NOT judge me and assume you know how my time with my 87 yr old parents is spent. My parents have serious health issues as well, however I will not got into the great detail you did. Even though it is NONE of your business, both my parents are asleep. Mind your own business. Seriously!

11:02 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And one more thing Laker dude, most of my days during the show I am working and do not have the choice to listen or not listen. So again don’t assume you know how my days are spent.

11:06 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think LC was judging you, I think he was giving heartfelt advice. Even if you didn’t need said advice, no reason to get angry.

11:09 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Realme it felt like an attack and accusing me of not making the most of my visit with my parents and that does make me angry. I visit my parents every other week, I cherish my time with them, we are very close. It just hit me the wrong way.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:10 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

You sounds like a joy to be around. I’ll pray for you and your folks. Prayer helped my situation significantly. Here’s to hoping it helps yours as well.

11:15 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

LC’s comment was good for me to read. I love my parents, but they also drive me up the wall. I can’t get together with them and not end up with a splitting headache. Hearing about experiences like you guys and RCF helps me motivate myself to do it anyways.

11:16 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Again don’t judge what I’m like to be around because I took offense at you assuming you know how my time is spent with my parents. I’m glad you pray, but try harder not to judge.

11:19 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Realme, my parents have been in and out of the hosp several times in the last couple years and have serious health issues. I don’t know how much time I have left with them and I don’t want to regret not taking time for them, like with my grandparents. I have put the rest of my personal life on hold to be with them and yes I do pray daily.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:28 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

100% of your comments on here today have been negative prior to my initial response. Now you’re starting to lighten up a little… Not judging at all. Hope your day gets better!

We’re KSR comment section veterans, so we know how to take each other for the most part.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:30 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Booby Petrino:

Matt Jones > Rex Chapman…and you can take that to the bank.

• UKrailbird
      11:38 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

To RCF, my position is…
      Something had to be done to stop the bleeding. I think this bill is a good start. It does no harm to currently active or retired teachers. The only way they are impacted is that sick day accumulation can no longer be applied to retirement. If you chose a profession because you are relying on accumulated sick days to support retirement, you probably should have chosen a different profession. As to new teacher hires under the new plan, we can see how it works over the next few years. Personally, I think it will be fine. If no, the opportunity exists in the future to be tweaked and/or adjusted.

To LC18,
      I listen to KSR and go to this website because I want to hear discussion and news about UK sports…period. I will say that I do not mind being entertained by other topics from time to time. However, politics and religion should be out-of-bounds. If I want to hear political discussion or news, all I have to do is tune into the MSM or go to one of probably thousands of political websites/blogs. I am a UK graduate and 3-year baseball letterman, so I have a vested interest in all things UK sports.

It is my opinion that the KSR audience will continue to be bludgeoned with Matt’s political opinions and ranting over the next several months because his ulterior motive is to use KSR as his bully pulpit for his political aspirations.

And, by the way, I did read the bill!

11:51 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

My hat’s off to you for reading that bill. How long did it take to download it to your computer? 😉 Sounds like a great book to curl up in bed with.

I see where you are coming from, and yes, something had to be done, but I myself hate seeing the teachers getting screwed over this. I can assure you that there are probably very few teachers who entered that profession for the money. Most of them have a passion for what they do, but that will only take you so far when you wake up at 3 AM worrying about what’s going to happen when you become old and disabled. Seeing my parents dealing with health and aging issues has really opened my eyes to how fragile our economic position can be.

11:53 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

This part of the show thread perfectly illustrates the main shortcoming of the internet. There is no good way to convey the tone of the words written.

11:56 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

If by 100% negative you’re referring to my views on politics, you’re right, I see nothing positive happening and if the truth hurts I’m sorry. I worked in the capitol for several years and saw the lawmakers in action both on the senate and HOR floor and I saw them vote themselves a raise as the first order of business every session, so yes I have a negative outlook on politics in general. My day is going great thank you Laker, but perhaps you should work on your delivery and maybe, since I don’t know you and I am not a regular on here, I won’t have to figure out how to take you.

12:03 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Also I am not a fan of electing a Gov who is not a Kentuckian and only technically live in KY, Dem or Rep. We rank low in education and I do believe educated voters make better decisions, maybe politicians don’t want us to be to well educated is all I’m saying.

12:11 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I also did make a negative comment about TV programming, I’m sorry if that offended anyone. It’s just my opinion.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:12 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

In reading your political comments, I seem to think we have similar political views. Your buttons are easily pushed. I apologize if I unintentionally hit those buttons.

12:22 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

My buttons that are easily very pushed specifically include my parents and family, we are very close. They also include talking bad about my team and my coach. My political views may be a result of being too close years ago. I just happened to work for the general assembly for several years and got an up close look at a lot of what goes on in Frankfort, I can only imagine what’s going on in DC.

12:50 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

4everUKBlue, I got pulled away for work stuff so did not get to put this reply back while the radio show was still on, so you may or may not see it. But honestly, go back and take a look at your reply where you said you were visiting your parents and you were bored, and objectively read it. I hope you will agree that if someone didn’t know the background that you later provided that your folks are elderly and in poor health (and sleeping at the moment), that it could be interpreted as a young person just going to visit their folks and their eyes are glazing over while hearing them talk about their youth, so you started listening to KSR instead. Again, it illustrates how things can get misunderstood on the internet. It’s the thing that drives me crazy about social media – people get into internet pissing matches that turn personal, when if we were together sharing a cold one at a bar we would be having a great time together. I hope your visit with your folks is a great one, and I hope they are doing OK. My dad has terminal brain cancer, and my mom has heart failure. Every day is a blessing – hope your day is blessed too. GO CATS. 🙂

1:10 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for the response RCF, I do see that but I also think we shouldn’t assume or jump to conclusions. I am turning 66 next month, when I made the comment I didn’t expect to get any response much less that kind of response, I drive 2 and a half hrs one way every two weeks to see my parents. I agree with you on how things get misunderstood on the internet, I’ve been on the show thread several times before and never seen Laker Cat or had this type of experience so I was caught off guard. My parents are doing ok for the moment and we are having a very nice visit. My father has had two open heart surgeries and has 10 stents. At this point medicine is the only option, they’ve done all they can do. My mother has many health issues, too many to mention. I am aware of your situation with your parents, I’ve kept up even though I haven’t commented, I hope your day is blessed as well. Thanks again for your response. GO CATS!

14. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

My kids eat Skinny Pop popcorn all the time. One of their favorite snacks.

15. davef5054
    10:37 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Plain lays are only good on pimento cheese sandwiches.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

On them? That’s weird, although I know someone that puts chips on her burgers. Guess that’s not as bad as the restaurants that are putting fried eggs on burgers…yech.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I love a fried egg on a burger, especially with bacon and cheese.

16. DrSayre
    11:07 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

lol sounds like this show is going about how I expected… glad I decided not to listen this morning.

• natertatter
      11:26 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

YOU DONT HAVE TO LISTEN DRSAYRE……..BUT FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESNT LISTIN YOU SURE DO WHINE ABOUT IT ALOT………..WHINER DONT WHINE……

17. runningunnin.454
    11:08 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I guess I’ll go with Michigan…for Matthews; although I don’t like the big 10. However, the big guy’s name in this country is WAGner, not Vaagner…lol.

11:12 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

It’s not Duke, It’s not Kansas. I’m happy with any outcome.

11:12 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Nova looked unbeatable against KU, there was nothing they didn’t do well. And they don’t lose much unless some go to the NBA.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

You RIGHT, Realme…Kansas served their purpose. Also no UNCheat. I wonder if Nova ran out of threes the other day…if they hit them, they will be champs.

18. DrSayre
    11:11 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I will never forget several years (I believe May 2014) ago when somebody called in and brought up Hillary Clinton and Matt was very quick to cut that caller off explaining this was a show about UK sports, not politics. Then a few days later when the governor (Beshear) and Jim Gray was on the show later that week to talk about a funding for a new arena, Matt asked the governor something about same sex marriage at the end of the interview.

11:18 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that’s the exact moment the whole not “sticking ta sports” thing started. Thankfully we can all stop listening any time we get annoyed. Be it by politics, grammar or Matt’s weird proclamations about what all women are like.

• DrSayre
      11:26 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

The weird thing is, I actually didnt mind Matt talking about politics. But that moment was when I realized that only callers who agree with Matt can call in and talk about politics.

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And yet, Matt had Matt Bevin on his show, and Mitch McConnell, and several other conservatives during the last election.

• DrSayre
      11:46 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

That’s fine, but I dont think its ok for Matt to talk about a political issue (or have his show at a political protest) then cut off callers who want to call in and discuss the other side of the issue/protest.

19. secrick
    11:16 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Michigan fan here today, go Charles Matthews. Heck you got to like their Coach.

20. natertatter
    11:22 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

i m having a hard time watching basketball at this point…..i support the state and the teachers…..without teachers we all lose…….BBN FOREVER…

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:39 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Parents hurt their kids’ recruiting all over the nation. I’m sure it’s a common practice.

11:45 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I have talked to a number of college volleyball coaches over the years, and they all say that the players’ parents factor heavily into the decision on whether or not to recruit an athlete.