KSR is live at The Ram in Boise (Friday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from The Ram Restaurant and Brewery in Boise, Idaho. Tune in to hear the guys break down Kentucky’s win over Davidson and Buffalo’s stunning upset of Arizona, and hear from our man Hayden Hooper, who became an internet sensation last night for his reaction to Sacha Killeya-Jones’ dunk:

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

83 Comments for KSR is live at The Ram in Boise (Friday Show Thread)

1. Isaac in Louisville
    9:57 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

The show is gonna be sooooo good today.

2. Booby Petrino
    9:57 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Fun day of basketball yesterday. Can’t wait for tomorrow. Go Cats!

3. secrick
    10:06 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Eleven point lead with 39 seconds left and the refs tried and did succeed to cover the spread. Good win for the Cats.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Hell to the No. 🙂

• Isaac in Louisville
      10:22 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I woke up this morning (went to bed right after our game) and almost had another heart attack.

• No. I was 0-1 after RI beat Okie. lol

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I DVR’d all of the games so i can catch up today.
      I had Arizona losing to Nova in the championship. Can you check for me if that’s still in tact ? Thanks

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

lol me too chris. i thought for sure t young would eek out A single win against a mid major. guess not.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Hey, my bracket is perfect; some of the teams weren’t.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

rg, kind of like my lottery number picks. Damned if they keep drawing the wrong numbers!

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Not exactly perfect, but ok. I do have a co-worker from Buffalo, NY who is crowing about picking last night’s game correctly.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

No, but mine’s still in pretty good shape. Only three wrong picks, and all were teams I had losing in the second round anyway.

• Isaac in Louisville
      10:37 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Mine’s about to bust today because my dumb a$$ picked Bucknell over Michigan St. 🙁

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Can you believe some people actually picked Arizona over Buffalo? Unbelievable.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I picked Arizona over Buffalo, but had them losing to us in the second round.

• ukjaybrat
      11:04 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

RG. there only two types of people that picked arizona to lose.

1) ppl that really WANTED that to happen so UK would have an easier game in round 2 (which to be fair was probably a lot of uk fans)

2) people that probably made 100 brackets and that happened to be one of them.

i highly doubt there were that many ppl outside of new york that thought arizona would lose

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

ukjaybrat, there is actually a 3rd type: people originally from Buffalo who don’t even follow basketball. I work with one of those, and she has been crowing this morning!

• IsaacMingoWX
      11:40 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Jay, I did make the full allotment of 25 Brackets on ESPN because I want that $10,000 Amazon Gift Card, but I picked Buffalo in my “Dream Bracket” because I did watch some Arizona games this season and saw them as a beatable team. It wasn’t so much that I knew anything at all about Buffalo, I just like to go with a couple of not trendy upsets.

4. Realme
    10:11 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Insomniac pro tip: When you’ve been up for an hour and a half in the middle of the night, and are feeling like you’re ready to go back to sleep, DO NOT check Twitter and find out that ARIZONA GOT BEAT! I’m on 3 hours now.

It was funny, scrolling Twitter. It took 3 “The Cats will play Buffalo at… on Saturday” before it sunk in that it didn’t say Arizona. I’m SO relieved that if we lose, it won’t be to soon to be vacated cheaters.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Yep. Woke up at 4:30, went for BR break, then checked phone. OMG!!! So now I am going on my third consecutive night of 5 hours or less.

• Well, I stayed up and watched the game. Epic! The second half was a pure beat down.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

i woke up this morning and the first thing i did was check the scores in the espn app and my wife who was up for an hour already was telling me AS I saw the score but neither of them registered until about 30 seconds later. my waking up process is brutal.

• Booby Petrino
      10:28 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I woke up around 4 and looked lol

• Realme
      10:29 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

So, was anyone actually asleep at 4 am? lol

• I was! I usually wake up before the alarm goes off but not usually that early (I don’t think).

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

cg, since you saw the game, what is the key to a UK victory tomorrow? Defend the 3-point line?

• That’s a factor for sure. Now, if I recall, Matt said in the post game that the fact that the Bulls like to play fast plays into our hands. Bilas said he saw a ton of straight line drives toward the basket that weren’t defended well, so that has to be watched.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

RCF, I watched the game, and I can tell you we need to bring the energy. Buffalo plays with reckless abandon and all-out effort, so no lead is going to be safe. Not unlike a decent Arkansas team.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

CC, so like every other game we’ve played? We’re well prepared for a team that wants to bring it for 40 minutes.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, we should be pretty well battle tested by now. Probably 80% of the games we have played have been a dogfight. We should be used to the pressure of a close game.

5. Realme
    10:13 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Buh Bye streak! Now if we could get people to stop obsessing about the so called “rule of 71”, we’d be a way less annoying Twitter fan base.

• You can thank MJ for that though.

• ukjaybrat
      10:28 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Rule of 71 is absolutely dumb. correlation not causation. and it’s not even that great of a correlation.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Oh well, had to end sometime – at least it wasn’t during a loss in the first round. Maybe if we had Baker we could have hit one.

• I’m kind of glad it ended honestly. I could not believe my ears when I heard that guy in the post game ask whether Matt would have taken the win in 2010 v. the streak.

Are you serious? I’m no Mensa, but is your IQ your shoe size? Yeesh.

• Realme
      10:46 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

2 of the geniuses I follow on Twitter said after the game that they would rather have kept the streak going. Another did a Twitter poll asking which one fans would have chosen. Others complained bitterly. For one it was his least favorite victory ever. I don’t know what’s wrong with people.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I just avoid most social media (especially Twitter) like the plague that it is. I think my life is happier as a result.

• Realme
      10:52 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I love Twitter, but hated Facebook. It’s not as interesting to tell you guys about all the Tweets I liked. 🙂

6. J-Dub421
    10:16 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

CATS!!! Woo!! I think the post season takes a few months off of my life every year though.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

UK ncaa tournament basketball vs smoking…can be hazardous to your health.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I’m quite certain I’ll eventually develop an ulcer, and I’m going to blame my UK basketball anxiety for it.

• Realme
      11:18 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

2014 run gave me hives.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I barely ate for weeks during that 2014 run. The stress level was high.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

My dog was really afraid of me during that tournament, from all the insane screaming during those games!

7. Zona got Buffaloed!

8. secrick
    10:30 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Bama looked pretty good last night watched that game and most of the Fla. game. Go Cats Go SEC.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Too bad I’m working; won’t be able to see Murray State take down WVa.

10. iHeart cut Matt off mid-sentence on WLAP. What was he saying? Cameron Mills’ commercial interrupted him.

11. ukjaybrat
    10:35 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Football conference:

SEC: 4-0
    Big10:2-0
    Big12: 2-1
    ACC: 2-3 (1-3 in first round)
    PAC12: 0-3 (0-1 in first round)

12. J-Dub421
    10:39 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Shai got hacked every time he drove. He should have gone to the line more than he did.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

True that; I couldn’t believe they didn’t call those fouls on shots at the rim.

• ClutchCargo
      10:53 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

This is true. But I would much rather see the refs let that stuff go than to blow the whistle every time down the court, like we see throughout the season in the SEC. Lack of depth could get to be a big problem for us if that changes.

13. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Been watching ncaa tourney and NIT with the rule changes…takes getting used to. But, if they want to clean up the game; defense fouls when they’re behind in the last minute…offense gets 2 FT’s and the ball. Last minute won’t take 40 minutes to play.
    We all know those fouls are intentional, but the refs won’t call them.

• At end of UK-Duke game in 78, Dick Enberg yells “Oh they didn’t call it!” when the Duke guy fouled James Lee on his way to that awesome dunk. I’m glad they didn’t because we had been missing some free throws (Macy & Shidler I think, of all people) and Giminski kept hitting those turnaround jumpers.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, and please do something about the flopping and the crappy block/charge calls. I know it is often a judgement call, but there should be some clear delineation they can come up with on what is a block and what is a charge. IMO, if the defender gets set AFTER the opponent leaves his feet, it should be a blocking foul EVERY TIME. Can’t understand why that is so difficult to call.

• ukjaybrat
      10:59 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

“offense gets 2 FT’s and the ball”

i’d be ok with 1 shot and the ball. 2 and the ball is a bit excessive.
      I hate the fouling in the last couple minutes because it is by rule an intentional foul. but they never assess it as an intentional foul. which is dumb. if they actually called these things intentional fouls, then players would stop doing it and would give more incentive to actually play defense (or just give up when you know you’ve been beat). fouling non stop for 3 game minutes is excruciating.

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

it eliminates all skill of the game and makes it a free throw shooting contest. not fun to watch nor does it measure who’s a better basketball team imo.

14. secrick
    10:56 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

The guy that said Mckillop would out coach Cal and that’s why Davidson would beat us last night must feel like a dumbass today.

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

yeah he didn’t out coach anybody. only reason davidson was in the game at all was because they hit so many threes to start the second half.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

My guess is that guy feels like a dumbass every day. Or maybe he’s such a dumbass he has no idea how dumb he is. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Most people who are that dumb also lack the self-awareness that would cause them to feel shame.

• ukjaybrat
      11:19 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, It’s called the Dunning–Kruger effect

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

ukjay, that perfectly describes a particular elected official who is frequently in the news these days. 🙂

Confucius says, “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”.

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

“The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits.” – Einstein.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Random thought: I wonder what UofL fans are talking about today? Oh, wait… I don’t actually care!

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Their next NIT game?

• ClutchCargo
      11:36 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Well, at least they won’t have to worry about Yum! Center availability, due to the contract negotiated by those corrupt boards.

16. unbridled
    11:14 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

How is the ksr saying “Scott county is the heavy favorite” in the ky sweet 16? Stick with college ball guys. Out waaaaay over your skis.

• unbridled
      11:14 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

*crew

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Go Colonels! Great comeback yesterday.

17. J-Dub421
    11:43 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Hami played some really good defense last night, and hit a couple of timely shots. I’m glad he continues to do well.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Wish Wenyen could have kept his hot streak from 3-pt line alive, but oh well, we won.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I’ll take the win over the streat all day every day.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Streak, not streat. I’m tired after staying up late last night watching basketball and Federer.

18. secrick
    11:53 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Is Buffalo that good or was last night just one of those games?

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

They’re pretty good. It was the worst possible matchup for Arizona, who also kinda looked like they didn’t want to be there after awhile.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Buffalo is pretty good, but Arizona didn’t really show up which also factored in.

19. J-Dub421
    11:54 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Someone else had crunched the numbers previously. I have read other articles that said similar things. Duke, UNC, and Kansas are often over seeded and underachieve. When those teams are good, they’re really good, but in down years they get overseeded and crap out early.

20. b-9 bombers
    1:00 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

How huge would a UK vs Tenn matchup be in Catlanta?! Gotta get past VU first, but I like our chances against them in Catlanta, though.

21. b-9 bombers
    1:01 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Tenn gotta beat the nasty natti though too.