KSR is live at Monday Madness (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Mall St. Matthews for Monday Madness. Tune in to hear the gang recap Kentucky’s thrilling run to the SEC Championship and their upcoming path to the Final Four, which runs through Boise.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

76 Comments for KSR is live at Monday Madness (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

NCAA SUCKS!

• cats646
      10:06 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

So does Tennessee!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:10 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Of course! Nothing sucks like a big orange!

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Well, Admiral Schofield said some nice things about us;so, I’m not going to bash them.
      That said, how many more years is he going to play at UT…time to move on?

• Realme
      10:22 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I really respect Schofield, but that big baby who kept working the refs was my most hatable opponent for the year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Funny that their coach was telling them to “get physical with UK, they don’t like it”, and they were the ones laying on the floor, and getting the worst end of it.

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

It was Grant Williams. He whined to the refs after every play and constantly flopped to try to draw fouls.

• Come on mod bot!

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Grant Williams spent more time on his back yesterday than Katina Powell.

• cats646
      11:13 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Savage^^!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Touche’

• Booby Petrino
      11:34 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

hahaha nice one JDub. She probably spends more time on her knees but I like what you did there.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:08 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

It’s springtime in the Commonwealth. The foals are frolicking in the fields, the Cats brought home another SEC Tournament Title, and the NCAA Selection Committee has royally reamed UK with the hardest path in the NCAA Tournament. Some things never change.

• RealCatsFan
      10:09 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Oh, almost forgot – …and Louisville doesn’t exist (at least in the NCAA Tournament! πŸ™‚ )

3. Sentient Third Eye
    10:08 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

The odd thing is that West Virginia isn’t going to Boise as well. I guess their losing to Kansas in the Big 12 tourney caused the NCAA to change the bracket. Only league champions need apply in this bracket.

4. Stuck on Blue
    10:09 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Can’t say I’m all that upset at our bracket this year. So happy that Duke got the bracket of death for once.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m only annoyed at having to go to Boise. Because Boise. Ugh.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m most worried about Arizona than anyone else in the tournament. If we can contain their bigs, we have a shot. With that said, Nick Richards wears DeAndre Ayton pajamas.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:13 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Great SEC tournament win! Shoutout to the conference for getting a record 8 teams into the NCAA tournament. Swaggy Cal is back!

7. Sentient Third Eye
    10:19 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m going out on a limb here and predicting that the second-round matchup between Kentucky and Arizona will determine the champion. Whichever team wins that game will take the title. It’s not often that the determining game in the tourney is in first weekend, but that’s how it will be this year. Wait and see. Who will win that game? Man, it’s a total tossup between the two hottest teams in the country. Both teams are nightmares to match up with. It will probably be decided by whether UK has outgrown their habit of having those little five-minute droughts. That would be fatal against Arizona.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

That’s not a very flimsy limb lol. i would say the winner of that game definitely goes to the final four. both teams score easily and uva’s defense shouldn’t scare either.
      cincy is a joke at #2.

8. Realme
    10:21 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Great SEC tourney, exceeded expectations. Now if someone could help me not be afraid of Arizona, and of possibly getting Higgins on that game, it’s put me in a better mood.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Can’t do it; don’t know what they paid for Deandre Ayton; but,he’s worth every penny.
      And, rooferee in Boise would be the ultimate insult.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

wait. they haven’t announced officials for each region yet have they ?

• Realme
      10:37 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Not that I know if Jay. I just have a bad feeling.

• Booby Petrino
      10:42 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Surely they will keep him away from us in the beginning, but when it gets down to less teams and if we’re still in it, might be harder to do.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

that was my thought. because since he’s “suck a a great official,’ they will want him back in the final four.

honestly i don’t understand what constitutes a great official because there’s plenty of video evidence to prove the contrary.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Anytime an official has a reputation, that’s a sign that he sucks. Officials should be like offensive linemen; they are only noticed when they screw up.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

If you know a referee’s name…he’s bad.

9. JTHinton
    10:31 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Matt brings up a good point about Penny Hardaway and Memphis

10. Cal was hilarious last night. His staring at his phone and waving the announcers off was funnier than what he said about the committee.

I’ve been sick for several days, but I got to binge the SEC tourney and all the coverage in between on Friday. Thumbs up!

11. secrick
    10:41 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Had a great weekend watching the Cats. Can’t believe how good Sha is with his left hand. What a great guard he is. Please us guys that are always on Cal during the season please try and remember this for next year and give him time. GO CATS

12. Oh, and TT, sorry about the first round being UK v. Davidson. I think all of the Show Threaders would have loved to have seen Davidson have a chance to take down a Duke or UNCheat in the first round.

13. BTW, Matt asked for what to do in Boise on Twitter, and I told him Basque restaurants. I saw that on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives, or one of those type shows.

14. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Boise was an interesting pick for us…were there no arenas available in Saskatchewan?

15. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I really didn’t care whom we play;but,being sent 1900 miles while UNCheat and Michigan State get to play in their home states? BS.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget Kansas playing in Wichita. Kansas a #1 seed with 10 losses? Seriously? How much money did Self pull out from under his hairpiece?

16. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Spent a total of about 27 hours this weekend at KFEC for a huge volleyball tournament for both of my daughters. Over 130 courts, probably 400+ teams in age divisions from 10 up to 18. Needless to say I am whooped, and did not get to watch a single UK game live this weekend. Wife and I caught up by watching the Bama and UT games last night, although I had to have two cups of coffee to make it though them. I have to say Cats looked really good! Love the teamwork and ball movement, sharing the rock!

I also have to do the humble-brag. Older daughter’s team came in 2nd in their division, and younger won came in 1st in hers. Hated to miss the Cats, but I had a blast with my kids. It will be over all too soon, and then I will be sad.

GO CATS!

• RCF, do you all go to that YUGE v’ball tourney that’s in the ATL every year? It’s like late March or early April.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

CG, we have not played in that one. Older daughter will be playing in a big one in Chicago in June, and last year she played in the AAU National Championships in Orlando. Younger one will start playing travel ball next year.

• Every year we are in Atlanta for a youth church convention our daughter participates in, and some years that v’ball thing is going on and there are so.many.thousands of participants.

Other people in the hotel get upset when our folks and the v’ball folks keep the elevators clogged. lol

• We’re always there Easter weekend, and I thought if you were there sometime I would have to try to meet you.

It’s a pretty swanky hotel. The first time I went with our youth group to help out (before I got married), I met Pete Carril in the elevator. The Sacramento Kings were in town to play the Hawks and he had just become as assistant as a favor to the Kings’ coach (I don’t remember who that was). It was just the year before that his Princeton team had the big upset of Georgetown in the tourney. I guess the young assistants standing there with him were probably saying “What am I? Chopped liver?”

Also, Kenny Lofton was spotted by some of our youth. He had just been traded to the Braves. It was also the Braves’ first year at Turner Field, and now they’ve vacated it.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm March 12, 2018 Permalink

CG, would love to run into you. Maybe if my kid gets on a travel team next year we will play in that one. Or I could wave to you if I am passing through Montgomery in I-65 sometime. πŸ˜‰

17. RG, it sounds like Matt needs a bodyguard. You up? πŸ™‚

He always says he’s not a fighter but he keeps getting into these melees. Okay, maybe not melees, but heated disagreements.

18. Realme
    11:22 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Hard to belive anyone was stupid enough to say Cal needed to go this season, but they did. Hope these people are ashamed.

• secrick
      11:25 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

That would take a dumbass to say that. Sorry but it’s true.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

… and dumbasses like that usually don’t have any self awareness.

• ukjaybrat
      11:32 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

… and they usually don’t feel shame.

• Booby Petrino
      11:37 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

just wait…if we don’t win the championship they’ll be back with their crap. “Told you all he needs to go. One ship with all those NBA starts, yadda, yadda, yadda

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I doubt those people have the ability to feel ashamed, but they should definitely be ridiculed by everyone who knows anything about basketball.

• ClutchCargo
      11:56 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

On a related note, the complete and devastating takedown of BigBlueNationDude in the one comment section this weekend was awesome!

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

CC, can you give me a link to the article? I wasn’t online over the weekend (other than to track tournament results).

• ClutchCargo
      12:16 pm March 12, 2018 Permalink

Starts around comment #8. Actually kind of subtle, but it made BBND look like he was talking to himself, and then others started trolling him over it.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Hearing Ryan say that germs don’t bother him probably makes the dude that he kissed on the mouth Friday want to wash his mouth out with napalm. πŸ™‚

20. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I hope Wenyen can keep up his hot streak from 3-point land. At one point from the Bama game up until he missed one in the UT game he had hit 9 in a row. (And credit SKJ for the putback dunk). I hope we can keep both of those guys for a couple more years!

21. Realme
    11:27 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Cal keeps saying he doesn’t like the SEC torney, but he sure coaches hard in it, and he sure gets giddy when we win.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I think he would like it a lot more if the results actually meant something for the Tourney brackets.

22. J-Dub421
    11:29 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m so proud of our Wildcats. Our guys played a great tournament. Our defense looked stifling all three games. I love our two-headed point guard beast. Shai and Quade are a great combo. (Quade with those no look passes!) Wenyen was a monster. PJ and Kevin put in good work. Hami played well, especially on defense, and didn’t try to do too much on offense. SKJ made some nice contributions at very timely moments. Can’t wait to get Vando back.

I’m also glad Tennessee gave us their best shot because now they can’t whine and say they didn’t play well. We went to war and won, should be a good confidence builder.

• Realme
      11:33 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

*like*

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Glad SKJ got to play; he really made the most of it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:49 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

I just hope Vanderbilt makes it back soon at close to 100%. He will be needed very soon.

23. Cincy Cayt
    11:34 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Next time Matt gets into a confrontation like that he needs to yell at them β€œI’M TRYING TO BREAK DOWN THE HOT ISSUES YOU’RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT TOMORROW!”

24. J-Dub421
    11:37 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

If you don’t have a winning record in your conference, you shouldn’t be in the tournament. Oklahoma shouldn’t have gotten in.

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

That was ridiculous; UL and ND would both beat Oklahoma.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:54 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Oklahoma has no business being amongst the field of 64.

25. J-Dub421
    11:54 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

Why is this lady talking about some conference in Boise in July?? We’ll be there this week, not July.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:55 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

She was a plant from the Idaho Chamber of Commerce.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am March 12, 2018 Permalink

She must work for their chamber of commerce. πŸ™‚