KSR is LIVE at Central Equipment (Friday Show Thread)

This morning’s remote has potential to be the most entertaining yet.  Weather permitting, Ryan Lemond will try to catch a greased pig.  Go to Central Equipment on Red Mile Road in Lexington to see all of the shenanigans.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

90 Comments for KSR is LIVE at Central Equipment (Friday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:51 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Catch that pig Ryan!!!

2. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Looks like somebody named Jackson Brown tweeted Kevin Knox with a musical video entitled “Why don’t you stay”.
    By coincidence the real Jackson Browne, with an e, did a song called “Stay (just a little bit longer)” with falsetto. That was a cover of Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs”.
    I think they’re different songs, but there was no sound on the video; either would be appropriate.

10:13 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

The one I saw was Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland doing “Stay”

• Great songwriter and performer! “Lawyers in Love” is underrated, although a station in my area has added it to their playlist recently [I refuse to bring myself to calling a 70s/80s station “Oldies”! 🙂 ].

“Why Don’t You Stay” was originally done by Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band and later covered by Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton. Odd pairing but they did a good job, although not my favorite Segar song.

• I was referring to Jackson Brown of course. Did Sugarland cover “Why Don’t You Stay” also?

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Of course, that’s “Old Time Rock n Roll”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Sam Smith wants to know why everyone has apparently forgotten about “Stay With Me.”

10:22 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

No the Sugarland song is totally different for Jackson Browne’s CG, I was talking about the top tweet gif.

• Rod Stewart did a song with the line “Stay With Me” also. I think the title may have been “Your Love is Fading Though”. I’m not sure.

• “Your Love is Fading” though…one misplaced quote.

10:25 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

You’re right CG it is “Stay With Me” when he was with Faces.

• Right 4ever, but since she did appear to be saying “Why don’t you stay?” I thought maybe she covered the Segar tune.

10:28 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

If you look at the video CG you can see it wasn’t the part of the song where she was saying “Why don’t you stay?”. Very emotional performance on that video by her.

10:29 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I had to look it up CG, I wasn’t sure what it was.

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Stay – Lisa Loeb.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

You’re right, Chris G; oldies are ’50’s and ’60’s music. I don’t suppose anybody remembers when record labels used to advertise their songs on cereal boxes…ha ha ha, damn I’m old.

10:55 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I just remember getting my secret decoder ring from the cereal box mail in to Battle Creek MI.

• Yes, I remember cutting records off cereal boxes! It was great!

My mom liked the Bobby Sherman one (I think we had The Archies as well):

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Did your secret decoder ring come from Little Orphan Annie and did you get messages to “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine?”

11:08 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think my decoder ring came for Frosted Flakes but not sure. It had a hidden stamp inside, I was so excited. I do remember the Ovaltine commercials, we only got 3 channels on a good night, had to go outside and turn the antennae.

11:10 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

My decoder ring was several years before Bobby Sherman and the Archies, but I remember all that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

They should include a Cal-speak decoder ring.

11:16 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Now that I look at CG’s link I do remember cereal box records. Memory is fading in my old age.

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I definitely remember cutting a Jackson 5 45 out of the back of a box of Super Sugar Crisp.

• And following those links I find ppl on YouTube demonstrating those records. lol. Here are The Archies:

11:26 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think I had Bang Shang a Lang.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:02 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

OMG – as the kids say. I had the Bobby Sherman . I think it was on a Raisin Bran box.

3. JerryDamage
    10:03 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I know I’m getting my hopes up….but man if he comes back next year could be another special year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Knox is a good kid, and evidently has a smart father who is giving him good advice…Cal, too. I hope he listens; just can’t see him banging with the NBA guys just yet.

• I know he got some deserved criticism for not passing on the break, but man, when he would stop, not commit the charge, appear to be off balance, make a bank shot layup…he’s got such good body control doing that.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I see our new recruiting guru is writing articles about Quade transferring, even though he says there are no rumblings about that.
    Well, then why bring it up? Grrrrr.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that was kind of all over the place. His best work is in the recruiting side, I think.

• Realme
      10:10 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Sounds about right. Don’t have much to report? Stretch stretch stretch.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Other than a few setbacks due to injuries, I though Quade played really well this year. I just don’t see him transferring.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yep. I just don’t get it when people complain that players don’t stay for multiple years, then fail to realize that these guys are right on track for multi-year players.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yep. The same people who whine constantly about how they don’t like all the one-and-dones and guys leaving after one year, then turn around and hate any player who comes back for more than one year because “they suck” and aren’t good enough to go to the NBA. (*See Harrison twins, Alex Poythress, WCS, Briscoe, etc.)

5. I just turned on app notifications for the Knox announcement. It’s only times like this I do that. The first time was waiting on his commitment announcement last year.

However, someone asked a good question in another thread. They didn’t say he would definitely announce today, did they?

• Realme
      10:16 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think it’s definite. No set time for sure. But it would be nice to have some news start coming today.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Reading between the lines, they did say they would make a DECISION today. Friday announcements usually aren’t the kind you are happy to hear, in my experience.

6. Realme
    10:20 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Remember when Zion Williamson committed to a school none of the “experts” thought he was going to? Then he said UK, which was supposedly in his top 2, wasn’t on his short list. Add recruiting gurus to my list with weather forecasters, bracketologists, and draft predictors.

• Palm readers. Maybe 247 should call it that instead of “Crystal Ball”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Throwing turds at a wall and seeing which ones stick might be more accurate than those guys mentioned.

• JerryDamage
      10:25 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

How many times has it happened that we got a kid and all the experts had them going to another school?

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Non-educated guessers.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

In fairness, it is impossible to completely understand what goes through a teenager’s head. At least it’s teenage boys we’re talking about here!

• They all had Knox going to Duke or FSU.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Nerlens was definitely going to Georgetown, Jamal Murray was definitely going to Oregon, the Harrison twins were going to Maryland….

7. DrSayre
    10:32 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Oh here we go… A tradition unlike any other… Matt talking about how much better the football team looks like

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hearing that the team is focused and going about their business in a consistent manner would interest me more than anything they can say about how Player A is throwing passes to Player B in the practice facility. And maybe they are, but that’s not the kind of thing that gets talked about here.

8. JTHinton
    10:33 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I say we beat CMU, Murray, Vandy, Mizzou, Tennessee/Lou, MTSU, and one of SCAR/MSST/TAMU, so 7-5. Thoughts?

• JerryDamage
      10:35 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I can see that. We look better but have the same record again.

• DrSayre
      10:37 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think Missouri will be a lot tougher than what you think. They have a pretty good QB coming back. Id probably move Missouri to the other group

9. “Could be better but win fewer.”
    “Picked only to be better than Vandy.”

This has been the case forever. Such is life with UK football.

• As I mentioned last night, my beef is why they keep giving SC all this love. Maybe they’ll be better, but last year all kinds of palm readers were saying SC was going to challenge Georgia. I just didn’t see it, and sure enough, we shut their yaps quickly at their own stadium after giving up the one TD, and that stadium was rocking.

• DrSayre
      10:38 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think they came on later in the season, we got lucky to play them early in the season. I have no idea if they’ll be good this season or not.

• They did, but Muschamp has done nothing to deserve those predictions IMO. He has been a failure as a HC, but we’ll see.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Muschamp is one of those coaches whose teams are just good enough to give you confidence that you can beat a decent team. One of those wins that always looks pretty good on the resume.

10. Realme
    10:37 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I just hope we don’t have any losses from stupid mistakes this football season. Eliminate that nonsense and you’re already better.

• DrSayre
      10:42 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

See, that’s the thing, the last few seasons the SEC was so down we could still get some wins with those mistakes. But this season, I think the SEC will be a lot stronger, we probably wont have that luxury. One thing that is interesting to me is half of our SEC games is against teams with a new coach.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Oh, you don’t like leaving the opposing receivers alone, and they’re jumping up and down, and yelling, me, me, me, throw it to me?

• RG, don’t remind me. Ugh.

• JerryDamage
      11:12 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I’m still not over that game. I was there and that stadium was ready to explode.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Same, JD. One of my friends who is a UofL fan was even texting me and getting excited that we were apparently going to win that game. Then we threw that uncover two defense at ’em (I stole that from somebody).

11. Realme
    10:41 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I actually think it’s kind of weird that Matt wants to do these ESPN subs. He’s a bigger deal with his own brand that he would ever be there.

• DrSayre
      10:56 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I can see doing Finebaum or another show thats more popular, but even those shows it seems like the audience didnt really care Matt Jones was hosting. If I was him, I would only do it if he can “do KSR” on ESPN Radio.

• I agree, but it’s national exposure, so he sees that as a positive I guess. He may think it raises his profile if he decides to run against Mitch too. I dunno.

• JerryDamage
      11:11 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think it’s also a chance to get a foot in with ESPN Radio. Eventually he’d love to expand and get a show with them so he jumps at the chance to do anything with them so they can see he’s good and maybe eventually give him a shot.

12. 4everUKblue
    11:14 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I love Tony Delk, met him on a couple of occasions and he was always so polite and engaging. I also got him to autograph my Sports Illustrated cover in 96′ when he was MOP.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I remember that three he hit, falling out of bounds, and I think the guy fouled him for a 4 point play. That was the dagger for Syracuse.

11:28 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I’m downloading that game to rematch, I haven’t seen it since 96′. Should be fun to relive.

11:29 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

*rewatch

13. JerryDamage
    11:18 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

When I was younger my neighbor went to a Tony Delk signing and took a basketball to get signed for me and my brother. What we got back was a ball signed by “Toni Dalke”. Yeah my neighbor didn’t really go to the signing.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

LOL, who did she play for?

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

LOL!!!

• Get that signature authenticated by one of those autograph experts on Pawn Stars. Rickie P signed my copy of “Big Blue Machine” by Russell Rice (an acquaintance who was connected left it at UK for me and they mailed it back). I’m sure it was a actually a secretary though.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:34 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like I’m missing a good show thread. Can’t listen today. I am at the JVA World Challenge volleyball tournament to watch my older daughter play. Yes, CG, I’m back in the land of the giants. 🙂

15. henderblue
    11:38 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

TD and Walter McCarty walked in to the Henderson Y one day while our regular lunch group was playing a little ball. Tony didn’t play but I remember him standing flat footed and shooting from half court. I got to play with Walter and that was a lot of fun. He could handle the ball and was a pretty good passer as well. He hit me with a no look pass from the top of the key and I was down low. It was a great pass but I missed the lay up. One of the low points of my basketball days.

• runningunnin.454
      11:58 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Oh no, bet he didn’t pass to you again. I played with Jim Dinwiddie at UK; you could tell he was a Rupp man…I won’t say dirty, maybe rough and tough.

16. J-Dub421
    11:47 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Now I want to try some Tony Delk wine.

17. Who’s last today?

18. JerryDamage
    11:57 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Odds that Ryan is shirtless when he tries to catch the pig? 99.99%?

• J-Dub421
      11:59 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

If not during, then definitely afterwards.

19. henderblue
    12:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I remember Jim Dinwiddie rg. I’m sure he was aggressive sort of guy. I can’t remember if he passed to me again, but he didn’t take it too hard when I missed. I remember one of the guys on our team was a former point guard at the local high school and he hit Walter with a pretty alley oop pass on a break for a dunk. The guys I was used to playing with were pretty good players but we weren’t dunking the ball. So that was pretty cool to witness from the floor