KSR is live at a soggy, wet Oaks (Friday Show Thread)

IMG_4881

You’re looking at a picture of Churchill Downs from about an hour ago from our trusty photographer Dr. Michael Huang. If you’re not one of the many braving the conditions at the track today, tune in to KSR, which is live from the grandstand to bring you the action. They’ll also decide the winner of the KSR Movie Bracket, which is down to Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump. I can’t believe those are the final two movies, but hey, that’s what we’ve got. Tune in and enjoy.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

71 Comments for KSR is live at a soggy, wet Oaks (Friday Show Thread)

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Is it odd that I’ve never seen Pulp Fiction?

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Probably not. I don’t think I have seen any of the Godfather movies all the way through. Have seen parts of them, but not the whole thing. Same for Casablanca. I guess they are both on my “movie bucket list”, if I ever get around to having time to sit through a movie any time soon.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I suppose you’ve both seen “Clueless”.
      Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Booby Petrino
      10:29 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I haven’t seen it either, and I couldn’t care less about it.

• I haven’t seen half the movies. Not that I don’t like them at all, but I’m not the total movie buff that a lot of folks are. The theater is way too expensive these days for one thing. Most movies I see have to be on TV, and my fam doesn’t always want to watch what I do. 😉

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

RG – I have actually seen Clueless LOL. Brittany Murphy was one of my celebrity crushes back in the day. RIP.

• Booby Petrino
      10:37 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I can’t watch anything over an hour and a half unless it’s a competition. So basically, I can only watch kids movies, anything else is too long for me to sit still.

• Realme
      10:39 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m not a movie person either. Couldn’t tell you the last recent movie I’ve seen. There is such good tv now, that I’d rather binge watch something at home.

• catsarerunnin
      10:41 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Clueless is a really good movie.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

“This is California, not Kentucky”.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:03 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

…and I like Forrest Gump, but I don’t love it. I’m completely shocked Pulp Fiction made it that far. Is it really that good and worth watching?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:07 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yes. You should be uncomfortable watching it for about 80% of the film…at least first viewing.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Happy sOaks Day everyone!
    When will they get wise and move the damned Derby to the end of May when the weather is more dependable?

• catsarerunnin
      10:27 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yes it almost never rains later in May…

• CATandMONKEY
      10:30 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Reliably sweltering? No thanks. I did the infield 3 times in the rain in the nineties(decade). Will take rain over 93F and 85% humidity. Unless there is water involved there is no reason to be outside between May and September between 7AM and 9 PM ☺

• C&M, that goes quadruple when you live in central Bama.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:49 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I can only imagine from my brief visits. That is why if I should ever move it will only be up in latitude, altitude or both.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I must have thin blood – I would much rather be hot than cold. Got my space heater on right now because they run the AC here in the building like it’s the Polar Bear Club.

… and yes, I am aware that it also rains in late May, but the weather is usually more stable that time of year. You generally don’t have to worry about freezing your ass off that time of year. I have always sworn that if it ever snows on Derby Day again (1989), I am moving south.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:03 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

As I tell people at work ” if you are cold, put on more clothes because if I dress for comfort someone is probably going to be scarred for life and I will be sitting in HR.” ☺☺☺

3. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Matt’s suit looks like something that the first round ballers would wear when they shake Adam Silver’s hand at the NBA Draft.

• Realme
      10:12 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

One of them might be able to pull it off without looking like an ass.

• Maybe he’ll come out with his own Big Jonesy Brand of zoot suits.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Matt needs a late 1970’s Cadillac “SuperFly” with gold plated horns, gangster whitewalls, fur interior, and painted a color to match his suit. 🙂

• That is awesome RCF! He could also have a chandelier on the hood like Isaac Hayes did in “Escape from New York”. Hey, that classic was not in the movie bracket!!!

• CATandMONKEY
      10:51 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

EFNY is actually better than some of the entries in the original 64.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I was in Chicago once, and there was a Caddy like that parked on the street. It was pink, with the gold furry seats, and the balls hanging down. The driver was standing there wearing a pink suit and a fedora with a foot long gold feather, and then….another car backed into it. I thought I was watching Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor…hilarious.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

cg, reminds me of the movie “48 Hours”, when Nick Nolte comments on Eddie Murphy driving a Porsche. Nolte said something to the effect of “I thought you people always drove big cars”, to which Murphy replied “Well, some white asshole bought the last piece-of-shit sky blue Cadillac”. 😀

Come to think of it, why wasn’t “48 Hours” in the mix of movies? Was it considered a comedy? Great movie, although parts of it might be considered non-PC today.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:10 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

We should try to judge any art or literature using the context under which it was created. Non-PC does not bother me if it was made during a time that was not PC.

• ukgags86
      12:09 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

@gettlefinger…I tried to call in for over an hour on bracket day but could not get through. Escape from New York was one of the ones I was going to pitch against Blair Witch Project. Also had Unforgiven over Hurt Locker and Reservior Dogs or Dusk till Dawn over Kill Bill as better Tarantino films.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m talking to the people who actually follow horse racing and know something about it (which sure as hell isn’t me) – are there any mudders running in the Oaks?

5. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Today is my wife’s birthday (and no, I won’t tell her age – gentlemen don’t tell). So she took the day off, but of course I couldn’t get off work. So now I have to run out at lunch in a mad scramble and get a card and some flowers and probably something else. That’s the way we roll these days.

• Realme
      10:19 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Day off is a great bday gift to one’s self.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

She’s a Cinco de Mayo kid. At the track, she always bets $5 on #5 in the 5th race. It has come in for her a surprising number of times. Today is a bonus since it is 5/5. I need to find a way to phone a bet in for her.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but the kids are off from school, so not a total day off. 😉

• Booby Petrino
      10:31 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

only in Louisville do kids get out of school for horse racing smh

• Realme
      10:32 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

That’s more of an un-birthday gift. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

They’re teen-agers, so they will be on their phones all day. It’s almost like they aren’t there. 😉

6. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Ryan trying to sound like he knows something about horses is pretty funny.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I hear “the call to the post” in the background. To a native Kentuckian, and a motorhead, that almost gets my blood pumping as much as “Gentlemen, start your engines”.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Was “Rain Man” even in the movie field?

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

“Who’s on first, what’s on second….”

• catsarerunnin
      10:54 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Parts of Rainman was filmed in Northern KY.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

It was a very underrated movie, IMO. Both Cruise and Hoffman (in particular) gave very good performances. Good story too, especially for anyone who has a family member on the Autism spectrum.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

The restaurant scene with the toothpicks were filmed in Ky.
      Rainman did win Oscar for Best Picture, and Hoffman won Best Actor.

• RealCatsFan
      12:06 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, went back and looked at the bracket, and it wasn’t even in the running. So how does a movie that won two Academy Awards, had two mega stars, and had parts of it filmed in Kentucky not make the KSR list? I guess since it didn’t have any gun battles or shit getting blown up, they guys have no interest in it.

Speaking of Dustin Hoffman, if we ever go back and do a 1970’s movie bracket, “Little Big Man” better be in that field!

9. Matt should show that guy some of the legendary UK bball and football clips and have him call them on the fly (in Spanish of course) like they used to do on “Dream Job” on ESPN.

Aaron Harrison’s 3’s, Cameron Mills’ 3, Couch to Yeast to beat Bama, Money MacKickins field goal to beat UL, etc.

10. Realme
    10:37 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand how you make a profit off of home delivery of beer without a delivery fee. I’m not a drinker, but I was looking at the details because I can totally picture my husband using this.

• catsarerunnin
      10:46 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

The wife just home delivered beer from Kroger. Sorry anti-Kroger folks.

• Realme
      10:47 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m all about Kroger, especially since Clicklist.

• catsarerunnin
      10:48 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Clicklist is absolutely awesome.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:58 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

+1 for home delivery.
      I can buy groceries from Kroger, Walmart or Aldi’s. I would rather pay a $10 cover charge to shop in Kroger than go to Walmart. Aldi’s isn’t even on the radar.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to have to check out ClickList, since we shop at Kroger all the time.

• Booby Petrino
      11:11 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

If I’m going in a grocery, I go to Kroger. If I’m doing the online order and they bring it to my car, I do Walmart. Because the Walmart service is free. I’ll take that $5 saved and pick up food on the way home, I never cook on grocery day anyway 🙂

• Realme
      11:14 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Click list is free the first 3 times. After using up those, I only use it when they email me a coupon for free stuff that amounts to more than 5 bucks, so it cancels out. Haven’t tried the Walmart version.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:16 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

We have click list here but half my list is based on what looks good that day and what is actually available. Plus I often shop at 6AM and it doubles as therapy and mild exercise- especially when I go across the entire super-Kroger 5 times to pick up something I forgot.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

A single buddy of mine used to try to pick up women in the produce aisle of the local Krogers. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      11:24 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Heh heh heh… you said KROGER 😀

• CATandMONKEY
      11:25 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

KrogerS …Damned auto correct

• catsarerunnin
      12:55 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Picking up women at the grocery? “My cucumber is bigger than yours” – from Animal House.

11. CATandMONKEY
    10:54 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yes Drew, there are reasons for distributor laws…not much different than the principles underlying organized crime or any other cabal…just state sanctioned in this case.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

iHeart signal keeps dropping. 🙁 Tried 1080 and 630. Just turned off wifi on phone to see if it is a local network issue here in the building.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I often bet a low amount ATB because sometimes it’s just satisfying to walk up there and cash a ticket, even if I didn’t win very much.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I have to confess that I’m a guy who often picks horses solely because of the name. I usually lose, but of course it paid off handsomely when I’ll Have Another won.

15. Realme
    11:30 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Should have had Matt do his part in Spanish and vice versa.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Damn – the only Spanish I remember from taking two years of it in HS is “Cerveza” and “Mas cerveza”.

17. Realme
    11:40 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Not sure what a guy who was so terrible coaching UK can say with a straight face.

18. runningunnin.454
    12:00 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Don’t know why Matt is so surprised. Gump did win 13 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, and Sinese won for Best Supporting Actor.

19. ukgags86
    12:02 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

How do they not know that Harry Connick Jr. (sp?) was Will Smith’s wingman in Independence Day among several other movies. Also, he from the NOLA area so he does a lot of New Orleans type Jazz.

• catsarerunnin
      1:16 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I watched “Independence Day” hundreds of times before realizing it was Harry Conick Jr.