KSR is in Springfield! (Friday Show Thread)

The Kentucky Sports Radio crew has hit the road.  Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, Shannon the Dude and Drew Franklin are at the Lincoln Legacy Museum in beautiful Springfield, Kentucky to preview Kentucky’s must-win match-up with Alabama in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

58 Comments for KSR is in Springfield! (Friday Show Thread)

1. Duff86
    9:53 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Springfield, that’s good country!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

We’ve been talking about the chance of an NBA team in Kentucky; the Colonels were very successful…hope it happens. The ABA was an innovative league, the 3 pt shot and the red, white, blue basketball. Also the first slam dunk contest.
    The Colonels were also trend setters; first pro team to sign a female player…remember Penny Early, a jockey that actually played in a game? Took the court in a mini-skirt…LOL.

• Realme
      10:07 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t know much of that, thanks. There’s so much potential here, I just hope they don’t get it done and then ruin it with a stupid name or color scheme. Just go retro Colonels, it would be perfect.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Of course, the first “serious” attempt for a female player was when the NBA Pacers signed Ann Meyer…she had played for UCLA and the Olympic team. Penny Early had never played basketball.
      Interesting fact about Ann Meyer is that she married Dodger HOF pitcher, Don Drysdale.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I live in Louisville, and almost always the only people who are against the idea of an NBA team here are Louisville fans. They can’t stomach the idea of ex-UK players being in the YUM Center on a regular basis. Like it’s some kind of hallowed ground or something. If it were turned around the other way, they would support it!

• ukjaybrat
      10:24 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

RCF. maybe they should get gud and put their own players in the nba…. without cheating of course. then maybe they would have something to cheer for.

• My sources tell me that Kentucky has a very good chance.

Ha! Sorry. I had to do a Luether. :-p

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I also did a Luether this morning. Right before I showered and shaved.

• Realme
      10:53 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Bah ha ha!

3. ClutchCargo
    10:03 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

My 11 y.o. son is a basketball junkie and is pumped up to hear there is a chance that there will be a team in Louisville.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

So Thameltoe said “sources told him”… Is he in fact the same person as “Luether”?

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I’m convinced that the way the media works these days, the same handful of “sources” sit around and quote each other to fit their agenda. Lazy journalism at its finest.

• Ha! I didn’t see your comment before I posted mine. Well done!

5. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

To all the whiners that can find nothing to do but bitch about UK having an off year and not winning the championship every year: please get a life. Go outside, find someone who needs help, whatever that may be. Help someone less fortunate! It will make you feel better about yourself. Sitting behind a phone or a computer and obsessing about UK basketball is NOT going to make you happy in life. Enjoy it when we win, and when we don’t, find something to do to take your mind off of it. Otherwise your life, and the lives of those around you, are going to be miserable.

• ClutchCargo
      10:24 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Don’t let them steal your joy, RCF. They exist simply to spread their negativity.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

i am such a die hard fan that people around me act like their walking on egg shells trying not to uspet me (or some of them intentionally try to get under my skin – that’d be the louisville fans)

but really when we are having a down year or month or whatever, i just don’t want to talk about it at all. it doesn’t bother me, because i have a life outside of uk athletics. but whatever. it is what it is. talking about it isn’t going to change it. so i just move on to the next game where hopefully it won’t be disappointing.

• Realme
      10:30 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Same Jay. They think I’m crying myself to sleep or something. I just watch the game, they lose, I move on to something else.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Missed a lot of what Matt was saying. How did Nerlens play into the conversation?

• Realme
      10:23 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

He’s the only Cal guy that went to Andy Miller, and that was the work of outside bad influences.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

He signed with Andy Miller, the NBA agent that was investigated by the FBI, and has lost his NBA certification.

7. Realme
    10:22 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I’ll believe it when I see it (that there’s a 30-50 team involvement). So far we have anonymous sources saying wildly inflammatory things, while providing zero actual information.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I think the only thing we can almost certainly guarantee is that if 30 teams get busted, dook will not be one of them.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I agree. W-A-Y too much bluffing going on for there to be much substance to it. Either crack down on the ones you know about or shut up about it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

or north carolina

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

UNCheat and Dook are Teflon Dons…John Gotti would be proud; of course eventually, he was convicted.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

If dook and UNCheat ever got caught and had the death penalty applied, that sure would put some spring in my step!

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

If dook or UNCheat ever run into any real trouble, it wouldn’t shock me if the NCAA will just retroactively changed the rules to make it work.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

They already did. Apparently actually being academically eligible is no longer a thing.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I think the fact that Cal has missed recently on a lot of the recruits he is after should bear witness that UK is probably NOT cheating.

• ukjaybrat
      10:30 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

i JUST said that this morning somewhere else. great minds think alike

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Same. Notice that all of a sudden after hiring Jeff Capel (who got fired for nefarious things at his last job) that Duke is now getting ALL of the players? A little sketchy if you ask me.

9. DrSayre
    10:30 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I missed the first part of the show… can’t some reporter just do a Freedom of Information Act request or something to find out what the FBI knows?

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Not while there is still an investigation going on and the release of that information would jeopardize the case.

• DrSayre
      10:48 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

But eventually after the investigation, they can release that information right?

• Realme
      10:50 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

As long as the FBI considers any part of it an open investigation, they’ll deny FOIA requests. It could drag out many years.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

The Colonels original colors were green/white; but, they later changed to red, white, and blue…those were good looking uniforms; the green was hard on the eyes…chartreuse?

• Realme
      10:44 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Did you see that shirt Chris linked the other day? So nice.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Yep, need to get one of those. The Colonels won more games, and had the highest winning percentage in the ABA; but, didn’t make it to the NBA with the Pacers and Spurs. I read somewhere they were blackballed by an NBA owner that wanted Artis Gilmore.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Well, if we had a combination of ex UK and ex UL players, maybe purple (blue and red combined?) But we all know that finding ex UofL players in the NBA is like trying to find a unicorn. 😀

• Realme
      10:51 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Purple is okay, but red white and blue (2 parts UK, one part Louisville, all patriotic) would be awesomest.

• DrSayre
      10:54 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

To me, if it happens, I think Kentucky Colonels with red, white, and blue colors is the way to go. The retro jerseys with the rivalry with the Pacers I think would be great.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

So I thought that we had the same group of high-character kids on this team that we are accustomed to at UK under Cal, but from what Matt and Drew are saying, it sounds like we have a bunch of prima-donna’s. (Or “pre-Madonna’s” for some of our fans. 😀 )

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I’m hoping we don’t have chemistry problems, jealousy, resentment, etc. It has occurred to me.

• secrick
      10:59 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Can’t listen to the show RCF what are they saying about this team and what happen.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Nothing happened; he was just saying they argue with Cal and each other; and try to justify a bad play even before Cal brings it up.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think they are bad character kids, just immature.

12. I’m in a meeting guys. BEAT BAMA!!!

13. runningunnin.454
    11:09 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I think college ball will be o.k. no matter what happens; it may revert to the old days, when college sports were played by student athletes that have no chance at pro ball…fans will still support their teams.
    BTW, my Dad told me he played hs ball with a kid that Adolph Rupp really, really wanted; this was the very early ’30’s. Dad told me saw this guy hit 20 shots in a row from half court many times, and Rupp visited their hs twice to try to sign him; but, the kid just wanted to stay on the family farm.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Jimmy Chitwood?

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha, no this was in Kentucky. Did you know the Hoosiers guy’s real name was Bobby Plump?
      And, at the end of the game, he held the ball at the top of the key for over 4 minutes before he took the winning shot.

14. J-Dub421
    11:28 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

I hate when my innocuous comments get moderated.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Sometimes you can just rephrase it in the form of a question as to why the mod bot is picking on you. Other times, there really doesn’t seem to be a way around it. I had about 5 consecutive versions of the same comment a few days ago and all were moderated. I was hoping they wouldn’t all show up and make me look like the trolls that like to talk to each other/himself.

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

True, and the crap from the trolls, often vulgar and crude, gets through…frustrating.

15. secrick
    11:42 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Big game tomorrow , to me it’s like a play in game we have to win this one.

• Realme
      11:43 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Need to stop “thinking”, and just go out and play.

16. J-Dub421
    11:54 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

Jurich is selling he stuff instead of donating it because he’s a greedy jerk.

17. J-Dub421
    11:57 am February 16, 2018 Permalink

We still have time to have a “great story.” Go Cats, beat Bama!