KSR is in… Lexington (Wednesday Show Thread)

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is coming to you live from Lexington today at White, Greer and Maggard Orthodontics. The show is broadcasting from the Beaumont location at 3141 Beaumont Centre Circle, Suite 200.

Tune in to hear what the boys have to stay — or stop by and get some orthodontic care.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for KSR is in… Lexington (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    10:10 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Anybody want to donate toilet paper to Rio ? I’m listening to yesterday’s podcast just now and am absolutely SHOCKED that a government agency can’t afford toilet paper. how screwed up could your government possibly be? must have spent all their money bribing the committee to get the Olympics there.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:39 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Don’t they have an entire rainforest full of tropical leaves?

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

STE, hopefully not poison ivy! :O

2. Realme
    10:14 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Please don’t say WimbleTon if you go on ESPN.

3. Craig
    10:29 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

This isn’t just a “Johnny isn’t perfect” scenario. What his dad said was jail is the only thing that will save his son from spiraling all the way to ending up dead. From the sound of it, saying it in the press is the only way to get his son to hear it. “Being there for him” means looking out for what’s best for him. If that means going to jail in the hopes of cleaning up your life, then that’s what it means.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:40 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

At this point, jail may be the only way Manziel lives to see 30. It worked for Lindsay Lohan.

4. Souf beach Lou
    10:34 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

If Johnny Manziel were African American or Hispanic he would have already been thrown in jail or shot dead.

• ukjaybrat
      10:44 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

sometimes it not just race but money. and he’s got plenty of it to not end up in jail over stupid stuff.

5. Souf beach Lou
    10:40 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

If going to jail was such a great way to rehabilitate anti social behavior then why do we strip voting rights from felons? Why do we screen and then ostracize people with criminal records who by all accounts have paid for their crime? By this logic shouldn’t we trust these folks more?

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:41 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Certainly someone who has paid his debt to society ought to be given a clean slate, and society is bad to not do that.

• ukjaybrat
      10:48 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think it’s a GREAT way to rehabilitate. but it’s the only way to do it fairly. I know Matt’s mentioned it before, but assigning a dollar value to crimes mean that rich people will commit more crimes because they will just pay it off.The only thing that is fair to every human is to take away their time on earth and stick them ion a hole. Doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor, we all have approximately the same life expectancy (yeah i know disease and healthcare affect this drastically).

I like the way they do it in demolition man. they “teach” every criminal a useful skill so when they are released they have something productive they can do. maybe we should look into that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

UKjay, that is the same way to look at Pitino’s suggestion that the NCAA should simply fine programs for violations instead of vacating wins, post season bans, etc. The rich will simply thumb their noses, pay the fine, and move on to do it again.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

The sad truth is that it is simply human nature to not trust someone who has a criminal past. You will always have it in the back of your mind that a person did something, and therefore has a predisposition to do it again. We can try to rise above it, but I think it is there for everyone.

I like the idea of teaching skills – and the ability to manage money intelligently so that if they do get out and get a job they know how to save some instead of blowing it. I also think we should make use of the prison population for manual labor such as road construction, litter clean up, etc. Yes, we do that already, but more could be done. Hell, put them on treadmills to get exercise and generate free electricity. 🙂 FWIW, we are looking into adopting a dog that was trained by prisoners at the LaGrange Reformatory. That is an excellent program that benefits both the inmates and the animals.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

I also think that convicted pedophiles should be put on medication that effectively chemically castrates them and removes the urge to continue their crimes. The majority of these people unfortunately cannot be effectively rehabilitated on their own – many are repeat offenders.

• ukjaybrat
      11:28 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

“You will always have it in the back of your mind that a person did something, and therefore has a predisposition to do it again. We can try to rise above it, but I think it is there for everyone.”

… and that feeling is the fear of being hurt. It is not only natural, it is vital to our survival. It’s the same instinct that tells us not to touch a hot stove because the last time we tried that, it burned us.

and I love the idea of manual labor from prisoners, but there are so many laws that limit what they can actually do. so unfortunately, cleaning the sides of the interstate is about all we’re going to get out of them.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:42 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Get a new baseball team, Matt…..Bench, Rose, and Griffey aren’t going to take the field…..they were good, though, weren’t they?
    My team is the Tigers….not a good year; but, we do have the last triple crown winner. Yaz was just too long ago.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:05 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

When Cousins said he had been “hot sculpting”, I didn’t know what he was talking about. I pictured him at a kiln making pottery……oh, no…another fallen hero.
    Best of luck to him in the Olympics; but, I’m still not buying his story about his frustration on draft night.

8. CATandMONKEY
    11:09 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt’s lack of knowledge of 3D printing AND classic rock is truly disturbing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Yep, I think my 12-year-old knows what a 3-D printer is, and she definitely has better muscal taste than Matt. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt’s terrible taste in music is legendary at this point.

9. Linda Schnitz
    11:12 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Ryan Lemond is a quintessential yes-man

• CATandMONKEY
      11:15 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Empty suit…

• Realme
      11:15 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

He’s just playing his sidekick role. Matt will scream at him if he goes too far out of character.

10. CATandMONKEY
    11:14 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

If we can keep the offense consistently on the field for more than three downs, the defense should benefit tremendously.

11. You see, this is the problem with fill-in hosts: NONE of them talk about the weird guy we all had walking around our home towns talking to himself. We ONLY get that when MJ is in the house! 😉

12. Realme
    11:52 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

So. 28 comments for the show thread as of now. How long will the “after show” last? one day? Maybe some trolls will show up and keep it going.

• I thought about that last night when I saw the post about that new feature. Nothing wrong with trying to be creative and have new ideas of course (and Matt talked about that yesterday), but I just don’t see this going anywhere and I don’t know what they were thinking. “Will go over like a lead balloon” as my mom says.

• ukjaybrat
      12:15 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

if it’s fun, it might be perfect for podcast listeners (liek me) who listen to the show when it comes out around 12:30… all depends on when the post comes out

13. J-Dub421
    11:54 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

How is Ryan still married?

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Not sure, but I would like to be a fly on the wall when he goes home today to face the mrs. 🙂

• Realme
      11:59 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

You guys should watch their Periscopes. Highly entertaining, and a glimpse into the real personalities and why their family works. She is as crazy / goofy as he is.

• ukjaybrat
      12:17 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

we used to watch them all the time when we were getting ready for me. now they are usually a little earlier and we’re always doing something when they come on.

14. runningunnin.454
    2:15 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Regarding the home school thing, did I hear Matt say send a teacher with a policeman to their home?
    A litle absurd? How about dusting off the old truant officer and getting them in school. We all have to live under laws for the common good. People can’t claim religious freedom for everything. We have to render unto OBama….I mean Ceasar.

• J-Dub421
      2:43 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I read an article a while back that had an interesting suggestion which is being implemented at a school (I can’t remember where this is taking place). Basically they had a big truancy problem, so once a kid had 5 (I think) unexcused absences, then a parent or guardian had to come to school with them for a day. It forced the parents to take action and make sure their kids were actually going to school by inconveniencing the parent for a day, and also embarrassed the daylights out of the kids by having their parent sitting next to them in school all day. The school cut their truancy rate way down very quickly. I kind of like this idea.