KSR is in Danville to discuss the FBI documents (Friday Show Thread)

Today’s show is live from the Danville Eye Center (104 Smoky Way) in my beautiful hometown of Danville, Kentucky. If you’re in the area, come on out to hear the gang break down this morning’s bombshell news that Nerlens Noel, Bam Adebayo, and Kevin Knox were listed on financial documents from ASM Sports, which have been obtained by the FBI and Yahoo Sports. Then, go get yourself a donut from Burke’s Bakery.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

72 Comments for KSR is in Danville to discuss the FBI documents (Friday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:00 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Well. There’s that actual information I’ve been asking for… Kind of disappointed in Bam right now, not worried about the other 2 guys.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:01 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

It’s unfortunate grown adults target kids by throwing cash at them to warrant an FBI investigation into illegal activity. The agent should be prosecuted and the schools in question should be penalized. I would also be interested in seeing the NBA jump on board with this and significantly fine/suspend players in their league as a result. With that said, I’m glad the three players mentioned weren’t/aren’t involved with a national championship winning/caliber team.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

You going to penalize all the schools for something they possibly couldn’t know? Good luck with a tournament with only Puke and UNCheat, Wofford, Mercer, and Lehigh.
      Wonder who would win….LOL.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:26 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

To me, you know where a kid comes from when you’re sitting in his living room during his recruitment. You know his background, you know his financial status, etc. I would probably go as far to say that if the “loan” (which I personally don’t think was a loan at all) changes hands while at that college, yes the school should be penalized knowing or not. You brought that kid to your school. Before or after, no. The college is penalized enough when that player is suspended from their high school deeds.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:03 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m going back to bed. today started off wrong.

4. Realme
    10:08 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Wonder if 8,000 text machine messages woke Matt up early today.

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

He said 17, which to me is a surprisingly small number.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

This whole past two weeks has been a shitstorm for me. Now in addition to my dad’s issues, my mom is in the hospital with CHF. When it rains it pours. This little tidbit of news just tops my week off perfectly. I am wiped out – wish I could go back to bed, but have to work part of the day and stop by the hospital.

• Realme
      10:13 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

It has certainly been pouring on you. Hang in there. Prayers of course.

• Stuck on Blue
      10:23 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Illness is never convenient RCF, hang in there. Prayers to you and your family and remember, this too, shall pass.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Hate to hear that. Been through similar parental struggles myself. Prayers to you and your fam.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

RCF, here’s a little pick me up on a dreary Friday. I had to watch this a few times in a row before I was finally able to stop.

• Realme
      10:49 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

That’s excellent, Clutch.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Sorry about your Dan and your Mom, RCF. Best wishes to both.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

We will lose wins over Bam; and UNCheat will become the winningest program in history; big deal, everyone knows they cheated for years.
    Knox ate a meal; are you kidding me?
    Play him.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

So they are only implicating the Duke and UNC players for “possibly” having lunch? I find it hard to believe that is all they were up to.

8. Realme
    10:16 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I just hope Forde isn’t sitting on more documents to trickle out over time.

• Booby Petrino
      10:46 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

if he had a bomb on Cal, he wouldn’t be able to hang on it it, he’d drop it immediately.

9. Howdy Doody
    10:16 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Yahoo looked at detailed expense reports, which are currently in the hands of the FBI.

The reports are from former agent Andy Miller, his associate Christian Dawkins, and his agency, ASM Sports.

Former Kentucky Wildcat Bam Adebayo is named on one balance sheet for the agency. It says the agency paid him $12,000 while he was still in high school and then gave him a loan for $36,500.

The same balance sheet shows the agency gave former UK player Nerlens Noel a $4,350 loan.

• Realme
      10:17 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

?

Are you looking for props on your copy and paste skills?

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

We can all read; who invited this knucklehead to the show thread.

• Realme
      10:25 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I guess he’s acting out some bizarre Forde / Thamel fantasy? Where he pretends to be a reporter breaking news?

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

nah. just a louisville troll that wants it to be known the “we’re next.”

what he doesn’t realize is that louisville will get the death penalty before uk even receives a fine. i think that’s a fair trade lmao

10. Howdy Doody
    10:23 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

If Adebayo’s eligibility was compromised, Kentucky could vacate last season’s Elite Eight run. That scenario would cost Calipari victories earned on the court due to NCAA violations at a third institution, joining Memphis (Derrick Rose) and UMass (Marcus Camby).

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Cal has never been implicated in anything; why don’t you take a hike? We need a troll filter; next we’ll have Scorpio, DennyC, and CodeRed…what a bunch of losers.

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

what do you mean next? they’re all over the first article this morning lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t read that; heard it all on the radio, anyway. I’m trying to keep up with this thread between patients. But, that figures that they all would be on here…ULosers.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Don’t worry RG, Jay and I have been slapping down the trolls.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Why would we want to pick and choose which games to hold Knox out? I see it as either all or nothing – if we think there is really something more to it, then maybe sit him until it is resolved. But I still think UNCheat has demonstrated that flat out refusing to cooperate is the best strategy for dealing with the NCAA.

• Realme
      10:28 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Agree about the refuse to cooperate thing. But if Kevin got a free meal, UK would be required to stop playing him at the time they learn of the violation (today?) and not let him back until he paid the amount to charity and got reinstated.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Play him; the NCAA has demonstrated they are incompetent, and enforce rules selectively. They are an impotent entity…they are a joke.

• Even if it was a $5 lunch bag meal at DQ the NCAA would hammer us when they let 20 years of blatant academic fraud go without so much as a tap on the wrist.

12. Realme
    10:29 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just disband the NCAA now and start over.

• ukjaybrat
      10:35 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

seriously… this very well could happen if they choose to go after all of these schools. everyone knows the ncaa is a joke institution that makes millions for doing virtually nothing. the power 5 could break off, do what they want and keep the money for themselves. ncaa is a joke

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like a plan to me. If this gets really stupid, I could definitely see it happening.

• Realme
      11:35 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

J dub, that article is so disgusting, it should be from the Onion. Wow.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

For anyone who doesn’t have the time to read it, basically the NCAA argues that they don’t have to pay student athletes and cite another case on unpaid prison labor. Last time I checked college students aren’t prisoners.

13. Laker Cat 18
    10:33 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Play Knox until the NCAA championship game (if somehow we turn into the Hulk of college basketball and make it that far)…that way if wins are vacated, the final one counts. Never know who else will be sitting in the finals this year.

• ukjaybrat
      10:36 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

that’d be a weird looking bracket lol
      vacated, vacated, vacated, vacated, vacated, kentucky…. huh ?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:37 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Hey, I’ll take what I can get. Regular season games don’t mean much after you get into the tourney!

14. J-Dub421
    10:45 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Either everyone will get punished for this, or no one will. UNC and Duke are knee deep in this as well. The NCAA can’t punish us without punishing them.

This all comes back to an issue we’ve discussed here previously. I still think it’s wrong to punish the schools for things they weren’t involved in and didn’t benefit from. Until the NCAA figures out a way to punish those who are perpetrating this (the agents), then it will continue. Andy Miller doesn’t give a crap if UK, Duke, etc. get in trouble. There is no incentive to stop his behavior.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Do we have precedent that UNCheat and Puke have ever been punished for anything?

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

True, but if they try it this time, then we’d have a pretty good case to sue.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I wish a bunch of the schools would get together and initiate a class action lawsuit against the NCAA.

15. secrick
    10:50 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

If we cheated lets pay the price. Don’t be like the cards and want to blame everyone else and this happens again and again. Listen no coach or AD is bigger than Ky like they where at L-ville.

• Realme
      10:53 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I get what you’re saying, but what is a coach or school supposed to do about things players do at home?

• ukjaybrat
      10:54 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

while i agree if “WE” cheated, we should pay the price. but most of the comments i see refere to the fact that it’s unfair if a kid takes money and the university knew nothing about it, it sucks to punish the coaches, and other kids for what one kid did.

UK hasn’t been associated with anything yet. all three were player-agent interactions (not that it makes it ok).
      Louisville’s last two scandals directly involved coaches buying hookers and players. big difference imo.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Again, what does punishing the schools do? Nothing. The system will continue until they go after the source: the agents.

16. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Wow, looks like “Lynn” is demonstrating why Anderson Co leads in divorce rate.

17. Realme
    11:01 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

UK fans seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping this in perspective.

I’ll never forget being trolled last year when we lost, because some co-workers acted like I’d be in a well of despair. Little did they know, my Aunt was receiving her last rites that day. Sports aren’t life and death, they’re a pass time and a passion and a welcome distraction sometimes, but they aren’t what really matters.

Go Cats. I love my team, I love my Coach.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Well said.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I can certainly relate to what you are saying. Feel kind of guilty listening to KSR with all the other stuff going on, but I need an escape from it all for just a little while.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

That is also why I usually go easy on people, since I really don’t know what they may be dealing with personally.

• Realme
      11:37 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Never feel guilty for taking moments you need to stay sane.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

A little escapism is good for you sometimes. Do you.

18. secrick
    11:06 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Another thing don’t let the card trolls upset you, this is nothing compared to what L-ville did. L-vill is the cesspool of sports.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

They don’t upset me; I just get tired of their poor grasp of the English language, and minimal command of punctuation.
      A degenerative eye condition has limited my surgery practice in recent years;but, I could manage a frontal lobotomy; certainly warranted in some cases.

• Realme
      11:39 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

RG, YOU’RE A SURGEON? And historian, comedian, and troll destroyer. Count me impressed.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Agreed, very impressed RG.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Well, mostly consultation these days; and, the lobotomy wouldn’t destroy the trolls…just make them… NICER.

• Jester
      12:30 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

I envision you doing it the way Hannibal Lecter did it to Krendler at the dining room table.

19. Laker Cat 18
    11:21 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Podcasts: Thanks to whoever it was that suggested I start Someone Knows Something again. Second try was much better. Seasons 2 and 3 were great, season 4 is awesome as well!

• Realme
      11:30 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been listening to your recommendations too! Sworn (love that theme song) and Accused both very worthwhile.

I’m torn about season 4 of SKS, because the story is fascinating, but the wife’s voice and sniffles are hard to listen to.

I just finished a 10 part series, Heaven’s Gate, that was pretty good.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:44 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m into Gone at 21 now. It’s not bad and the host is a licensed private investigator so it adds to my interest. The first episode of Disgraceland was good. Also started Slow Burn about the Watergate scandal. I’ll have to absolutely dedicate myself to that one at some point. I like to bounce around too much. My wife HATES when I do that. She binges them all.

20. secrick
    11:23 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Just realized there is nothing to this story that will hurt UK. Thank Goodness.

• ukjaybrat
      11:26 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

knox and noel are in the clear i think. but bam looks like it could hurt.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

Nerlens is on the list in 2015, which is long after he left UK. The Knox situation is small potatoes and will likely result in nothing. Bam will be the issue here, but only if they can prove he or his mom took money. It’s potentially bad though.

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:41 am February 23, 2018 Permalink

I think the whole “you’re leaving early, but you can still return later to finish your degree under scholarship” label should be off the table if your name is involved in receiving benefits.

22. Well, I just got out of a meeting and was totally oblivious to the fact that all crap has broken loose (wasn’t able to surf the web like some meetings). Wow!