KSR is in Booneville (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Sag Hollow Golf Course in Booneville. Tune in to hear the gang break down the latest UK news of the day and probably talk about a bunch of random things, because that’s what we do.

Here’s the schedule for the rest of the Summer Tour:

8/10 — Flemingsburg — Peoples Bank
8/11 — Pikeville — Bank 253

8/14 — Cynthiana — Maiden City Brewing Company
8/15 — Somerset — Sleep Outfitters
8/16 — Campbellsville — Mr. Gatti’s Pizza
8/17 — Benton — CFSB Bank
8/18 — Madisonville — Watermark Toyota

8/21 — Hopkinsville — Eclipse
8/22 — KY State Fair
8/23 — Northern KY — Dickman’s
8/24 — Richmond — Mann Chrysler
8/25 — KSR Louisville Golf Outing

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

49 Comments for KSR is in Booneville (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. An almost brush with greatness to tell you all about: I just met someone who used to live in Atlanta and he went to the North Atlanta church of Christ. I asked him “Did you know Aminu Timberlake?” He said yes and said he’s a really good guy, which we already knew from reading on KSR about what he’s doing these days.

Also, when I asked him I pronounced it “AH-muhnoo”, and he said “Oh yeah, I know ‘uh-MEE-noo”. So, just like Lynn Bowden. I have been corrected on my pronunciation after all these years!

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Aminu should have cold-cocked Laettner.

• Yeah, I told him that Ralph Hacker said if that had been Deron Feldhaus, Laettner’s ankle probably would have been broken.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Heard a story about Rupp; but, I don’t remember the player. There was a guy bringing rough stuff, and Rupp told his player, ” I want his teeth on the floor, or you’re walking home”.
      A tooth did hit the floor, so I guess our guy didn’t have to walk home.

• Wow. That’s hardcore.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

During the early 90’s, I used to love when some opposing guard would become an “overzealous” defender against Travis Ford, and Jamal Mashburn would set a pick at mid-court and just level the dude. He’d then mean-mug the guy, and then they would magically be less physical against Ford than they had been. It was hilarious.

• I read an article about Pat Riley years ago. It mentioned (as did the “30 for 30” about the Celtics/Lakers) that the “Showtime” image and Gucci suits belied his New York toughness. Someone said when he was at UK a player put a cheap shot on Louie Dampier and Riley told him under no uncertain terms he better not do it again, and he didn’t.

• Moderated for telling a story about Pat Riley’s toughness. *sigh*

• Oops! It posted. Thanks Tyler!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:09 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Watched the sc30 Steph Curry game last night….no Reddish or Bol? No defense either..Ha Ha.

3. Ky ski nut
    10:19 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Today on NBA.com has the Pelicans top 10 plays of last year. 8 out 10 are Boogie and AD.

4. Realme
    10:22 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

I would like to compliment that crowd on its’ good taste.

5. Realme
    10:29 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Dawson knew about half a dozen recruits and kept it quiet. Right. I believe you.

6. Why does WLAP play the same newsbreak twice during the same commercial break, and sometimes if not that we get 2 newsbreaks before the bottom of the hour? It seems to be even worse during Sunday Morning Sports talk. Please, the bottom and top of the hour are enough!

7. runningunnin.454
    10:41 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Some schools are just bottom feeders, offering recruits’ best friends and hiring half their families to get them.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

or hiring their dad’s as an assistant coach who just sits on the sideline and does nothing all year

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

For a couple hundred thousand dollars, and then the dad/uncle/whatever leaves after a year when the kid does. No, nothing shady about that at all….

8. Realme
    10:48 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

That guy should give his workout a catchy name, write a book, and start a website. We’ve seen less creative workouts start a movement. Switch out some push ups for sit ups and squats though, sheesh.

9. J-Dub421
    10:49 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

If you stop in the middle of Kroger and are blocking the aisle doing push-ups, I will run you over with my cart. You have been warned.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Ha ha….aisle rage.

• What if it’s just because I dropped some produce? ;-P

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Forget the produce….better get out of her way, man.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Picking up produce is acceptable, but not holding everyone up for several minutes while doing push-ups.

• Booby Petrino
      11:18 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

I get cart rage more often than I get road rage. I think I’ve gotten used to crappy driving, but I haven’t gotten used to people just being straight up inconsiderate when shopping lol

• Realme
      11:23 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Is there a sidewalk walking rage? I think I get that when people can’t seem to figure out how to share it.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

It all comes down to a complete lack of self-awareness and lack of awareness that there are other people around you who may not be moving at your same pace. Just be considerate of those around you, that’s not asking too much.

• Realme
      11:31 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Nail on the head, jdub.

10. ukkatzfan
    11:15 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Wyndall’s Wonder Whip in Owensboro.

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

The privately owned joints are always better than the national chains like Burger King and McDonalds.
      Down Owensboro way, there used to be drive ins in Island Ky and one in Calhoun called Jay’s.
      Don’t know if they’re still there.

• ukkatzfan
      1:24 pm August 9, 2017 Permalink

Jays is still there. Real sure one in Island is too.

11. DrSayre
    11:19 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

I feel like Matt every year tells us about somebody who tells him that things are looking really good.

• Realme
      11:19 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Yes, in bball and fball.

12. Realme
    11:19 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

I can’t wait for that first pre-game show of the season to start. Getting pumped.

13. J-Dub421
    11:29 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

The problem is, what if they end up either not turning pro-or turning pro and washing out in a year or two. They need to have a fall-back. Allowing players to completely not go to any classes will hurt them more in the long run.

14. Realme
    11:30 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

A major in Athletics, covering all aspects of the industry. To prepare one to be a pro player, a coach, an analyst, or administrator. I like this idea. A lot of the Last Chance U kind of guys would probably be more interested in school if it was about what they love.

• Even a sports management degree requires some accounting, etc., so a degree like that might still require some harder courses like that (at least for the administrator part I would think).

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

A lot of them should be taking public speaking, marketing, business, etc. The guys who are going to definitely turn pro should learn about contracts, etc. and how to manage their money, branding, and other things that will help them. UK’s program teaches a lot of that. They still need to learn things and go to classes though.

Also, if you’re a professional athlete, you may play until you’re about 40 at the oldest. Most retire even earlier than that. You still need to have something to retire to and have other interests because you still have a lot of life left. College can help you figure out what your other interests are.

• Realme
      11:49 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Exactly, Chris, real classes where they have to work, but with a focus on what they love. Also why, Jdub, I’d make it broader than a major in a sport. A major in the entire industry with multiple options, a la a hospitality degree.

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

I understand Kyrie will return to get his degree and then teach HS science.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Lol RG! 🙂

• Well done, RG, well done. lol slow clap

I think you’re the funniest person in the ST, with all due respect to the rest of the crew!

• Realme
      12:31 pm August 9, 2017 Permalink

Definitely, RG is the ST’s Drew. Has more than once almost made me do a genuine spit-take at my desk.

15. Realme
    11:44 am August 9, 2017 Permalink

Aunt Jemima’s cigarette burger not sounding as good as it did earlier.

16. 2Dogs
    1:11 pm August 9, 2017 Permalink

Anybody check out ESPN “the ocho” yesterday?