KSR is back from a three-day weekend (Tuesday Show Thread)

Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon T. Dude are back from the three-day weekend to give you two brand new hours of Kentucky Sports Radio. They’ll recap everything that has happened since Friday — from the UK’s NCAA tournament snub to the latest in NBA decision to what they all did over Memorial Day.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for KSR is back from a three-day weekend (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Good morning, Drew…thought I saw a pic of you with L’s up,
    Vigy Vigy Vigy…you have been a bad monkey.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Honestly, the confluence of the baseball team tanking, the chances that most of our BBall players once again going to the NBA, summer activities, and all the extra stuff going on with my parents, I am pretty much “meh” on UK sports in general right now. I hope you all will excuse me from caring very much right now. Hope that doesn’t make me a terrible fan – I just can’t find much to get excited about right now. At least my daughters will be going to the UK Volleyball Camp pretty soon, so there’s that! πŸ˜‰

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Not a bad fan at all. We all need a mental break from UK sports at some point in the year. There, I said it!

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

You will perk up, oh…around Aug 8.

• You’re right Clutch. I’m not a Cal hater, but having to wait out the “WILL THEY STAY OR WILL THEY GO?”is tiresome (thank you to The Clash for that awesome hook!) . Not to mention the daily updates of “There is no update”.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

If we don’t get any of the 3 remaining players back, I think a lot of the fan base is going to check out from really caring about basketball, at least in the short term. There will be growing discontent with the OAD rule and Cal with a lot of the fans.

• And we did JACK SQUAT in lacrosse this year. Ha! Do we even have a lacrosse team?

I heard on a national show that this is the first time in like 10 years or so that anyone other than UNCheat, Maryland, and some other school won the lacrosse natty (I forget if that was men’s or women’s).

• JTHinton
      10:25 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Lol that’s cause the SEC only cares about the big sports

• JTHinton
      10:25 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Why does the SEC not have men’s soccer? (UK and South Carolina play in CUSA) That’s always bothered me…

• Reply fail. I actually meant to reply to #2.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

LaX is an airport.

• Anyway, for some reason lacrosse seems to be YUGE in the mid-Atlantic area. Others, ehhh, not so much. I don’t know why.

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Lacrosse is definitely growing in popularity. I see kids out playing it or having lacrosse practice all the time now, when it used to be more kids playing baseball, soccer, or football.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Found UK lax; last season of competition looked like 0-8-2.
      Currently not competing because…we have no coach?

• I just looked it up. Yale won the men’s over Duke, and James Madison beat BC for the women’s. In fact, I think I saw last night that someone in the comments here said he was in an airport somewhere watching the men’s game and got everyone cheering against Duke. lol

4. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

cg, are you guys getting socked with the remnants of Alberto? It’s heading this way – we actually could use the rain in my area.

• We got it last night. I saw a downed tree and a large downed limb on the way to work. There was also a good bit of debris in the road (leaves & twigs that is). Our only 2 trees are still standing. One is a large oak and the other the dreaded Bradford Pear. We plan to take it out and replace it with something that is not an invasive species (I didn’t know about that until KSR discussed it that time). The thing is, it provides some decent shade for the house and it is SO hot here in the summer.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know if I would take out a Bradford just because it is an invasive species. The horse is pretty much out of the barn at this point. Now if you are worried about a storm knocking it down into the house, that’s a different story. Maybe have an arborist selectively thin some branches from the canopy. Pretty much any variety of pear that produces fruit can potentially be an invasive species when the birds consume the fruit and “deposit” the seeds everywhere (mostly on your car.)

Keep a close eye on that oak. Something seems to be getting a lot of the oaks up here, especially pin oaks. Have seen a lot of them dead and declining here in the Louisville area. I sometimes worry that my grandchildren will be left with a barren landscape that resembles Arizona. πŸ™

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Weren’t oak trees getting attacked by those ash borer worms? It was that or some type of fungus.

• Yeah, the fact that they can turn over or split so easily is a concern too. I’ve trimmed branches that I can get to with my pole chain saw (an electric one from Harbor Freight), but it’s way too tall to do the whole thing.

• ClutchCargo
      11:27 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Emerald ash borers really only damage ash trees, fortunately. It’s pretty scary to walk through the woods where there is widespread infestation and the dead trees looking like they could drop a huge limb on you at any moment.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Clutch is correct – the EAB so far only attacks ash trees, although I have heard rumors that it may go after other trees once all the ash are dead. There have been reports that it has been found in the white fringetree, which is a member of the ash family.

There is a fungal disease called oak wilt that is getting a lot of the oak trees – mostly out west. It spreads from a beetle and also through the root systems.

There is also a bug that is killing a lot of the Eastern Hemlock trees in the Appalachian’s. This is a big deal because these trees shade a lot of the mountain streams. Without the shade, the water gets too warm and kills off a lot of fish and other critters – which means food shortages for animals further up the food chain.

And in Ohio they have found another Chinese beetle called the Asian Longhorn Beetle that will eat a variety of trees.

Sadly, we humans are not very beneficial to the earth! πŸ™

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, last week a huge dead ash tree simply snapped in half in my neighbor’s yard. Wasn’t even that windy. I have about five of them close to my garage that are going to cost me $1800 to have taken out. One has become infested with carpenter ants, which have conveniently taken up residence in my garage. πŸ™

I am taking a couple mornings off to inject my remaining ash trees with a chemical that kills the EAB’s. Been doing this for four years. So far so good.

5. J-Dub421
    11:15 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Holy cow NCAA, do the right thing and let the kid play. The Auburn kid went from having 8-10 seizures per day to none with CBD oil. Just let him take the oil, it’s a legit medical exception.

• Totally agreed. BTW, fun fact: he attends a high school where my parents live. It’s the same high school that produced James Brooks and Ron Simmons (also known as Faruq in the WWE), and they were on the SAME TEAM. That doesn’t mean much to most of you, but that was an uber talented high school team.

However, that school is my alma mater’s cross town rival! πŸ™‚

• And my wife is a nurse, and she says sometimes it’s just rubbed on the skin and not even ingested.

• Realme
      11:41 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

I am the straightest person you’ll ever meet, and have taken CBD oil.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

RE Hemp Oil – I ran into an old friend who I used to play volleyball with, and he had to quit for several years due to knee issues. He started taking hemp oil, and he said it worked wonders for him. He is back to playing again. I am going to take a serious look at it. Also found some research that seems to support anti-cancer benefits that may be helpful for my dad. There is so much outside of the traditional pharmaceutical industry that can be very beneficial to us. I read an article the other day that said that the FDA is trying to block the usage of modified stem cells for the treatment of arthritis because they claim it is a drug and should be regulated by them. The article says that the FDA is tied in with Big Pharma, which is behind this. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

It’s about money. Big Pharma doesn’t want marijuana legalized because they’d rather make synthetic marijuana compounds and charge a ridiculous amount of money for them. If marijuana gets legalized, they lose money.

7. Realme
    11:38 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Been saying for years that there should be an algorithm seeding tournaments at this point. Humans on a committee don’t seem to be able to decide logically and fairly.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Or at least make the criteria consistent from one year to the next. It is a moving target right now.

8. Realme
    11:40 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Glad Coach is being honest instead of just sharing positive platitudes today.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

He definitely seemed down which makes me sad. I like Coach Mingione’s upbeat positivity.

• Realme
      11:46 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree, but if he came on today and talked about rainbows, it would have made all the positive days seem fake.

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

UK was gyped. You play in the toughest conference with 10 teams in the field, and that is evidently not considered like the ACC in basketball.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am May 29, 2018 Permalink

So now the NCAA has decided to start screwing us in baseball as well as basketball. πŸ™