KSR is at the Sweet 16 (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Rupp Arena. Matt, Drew, and Ryan are in the house to watch today’s Sweet 16 action, and even though Buckhorn isn’t in this year’s event, their mullets live on in spirit.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

62 Comments for KSR is at the Sweet 16 (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Very entertaining games last night. No. 1 seed Cal fell behind #8 CSU-Bakersfield Roadrunners (love that name) in the 1st half by 20, and lost by 7…not a good look for the Pac-12. Of course, ‘Bama losing at home was not a good look for us.
    Indiana has totally crashed & burned.

• J-Dub421
      10:20 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Bama and Indiana both crapped the bed. I will cut Cal a little slack as their two best players were out injured.

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Hey but ole miss won!

That being said, I’m a little bitter about rooting for the SEC anymore.
      Every year in football, the whole conference is “SEC! SEC! SEC!”

But the second it’s basketball season, they all turn on UK and hate us cause they ain’t us. and that’s garbage. I have always wanted the whole conference to succeed in the post season because it makes us all better in the long run.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

There was a ‘Bama fan who called into Finebaum last week bragging that there will be a changing of the guard in SEC Basketball and that the Tide was going to roll over the Cats. Guess he’s back to crowing about football now! πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:27 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Agree, Jay.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

And aside from Florida (and they usually choke), the rest of the SEC completely suck ass in the NCAA Basketball tournament. They always play like the Warriors against us, but can’t muster the same effort when the league needs some representation. I am so done with the SEC – wish we would leave and let them be the football-only league they want to be. And yes, I realize we stay because of the money…

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

All valid points.

• RCF, was the caller named “Bogie”? He calls local shows and runs down UK for being a corrupt program. He called during the 14-15 season saying he hopes UK would not go 40-0. I so wanted to call in after the natty game and jovially stick it to him. But alas. *sigh*

• Hoped not hopes…

Also, he not only says he thinks Cal is corrupt. He even makes reference to the point shaving scandals under Rupp. You know, we could probably find corruption in any program if we go back 100 years like that.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Alabama hired Lane Kiffin. They are not saints.

2. Realme
    10:12 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think a team like Indiana losing in the NIT is a big deal. If your team, coaches and fan base don’t want to be there, losing means you just got put out of your misery. Case in point, if 2013 UK had wanted to beat Robert Morris and advance in the NIT they would have.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

You’re probably right, there were only a handful of Hoosier fans there, and the GT fans were rocking the place…you could barely hear the announcers.
      Indiana has to make a change.

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Indiana had the opportunity to host their game and chose not to. That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I think if that NIT game had been played at Memorial instead of at RM’s place, the Cats would have won. The home crowd carried RM, and I think a raucous UK crowd at Memorial would have inspired our boys to put in a lot more effort.

So, the IU loss begs the question: Will Crean get creamed? Is he gone after this year?

• Realme
      10:22 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I wish they would talk themselves into keeping Crean another year. I love when he’s their coach.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Did IU officially give a reason for declining the home game? Was there something else scheduled there.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Announcers said that Josh Pastner paid for tickets for all of the GT students. Not a bad move by him – assures a rowdy home-crowd.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

First IU said that they were going to do renovations and couldn’t host. That was proved false and they got called out on it. Then they said it would “devalue” their stadium. They are hosting their women’s team’s NIT game either this week or next. Basically they think they’re too good for the NIT because they are delusional.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I found IU’s statement on line. IU said they declined because of renovations and students are on break.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Ga. Tech’s students are on break too, didn’t seem to hurt them any.

• To Realme’s point: that also happens sometimes when a football team barely misses out on playing for the natty (more so in the BCS/Alliance Bowl era than now). They barely miss out, then they lay a giant egg [some would say take a big giant dump, but I won’t be so crude πŸ™‚ ] in a bowl game.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Heard on the radio this morning that the NKU Norse mascot was voted by USA Today to be the best mascot in the tournament. Cool for them.

4. Realme
    10:38 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I’m one of 2 in the world (at least according to Facebook). When I was on FB, I got friended by another person with my name who lives in Sweden, because I was the only other “her” she could find.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

My maiden name is a bit more rare, but there are at least two other people who have it. There are several people with my married name, which is more common. My husband’s family is quite large, so I’m not the only person with my name in my own extended family. My first name is one of the most popular names for girls in my age range.

• Realme
      10:44 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I think both of my last names are somewhat unusual, but the married name is much cooler sounding and easier for others to pronounce, so I always joked that even if we get divorced, I’m keeping the name.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I have a cousin who lives here in the same town who has the exact same first and last name as mine – and it is a somewhat unusual German last name. I have always been surprised that we don’t get each others mail. My last name gets butchered so much that I have resorted to using my first name to place pizza orders. πŸ™‚

5. ukjaybrat
    10:46 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

J is a pretty common name but Dub doesn’t come up a lot when i meet new people.
    And yes you are correct Me is very easy to pronounce.

πŸ˜›

• ukjaybrat
      10:47 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

gah i suck at replying to the right thread !

• Realme
      10:48 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Ha ha, my favorite comment of the month.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Ha ha! πŸ™‚

• CATandMONKEY
      1:37 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

I missed a great thread today Γ°ΕΈβ€˜ΒΊ

6. Realme
    10:47 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Can we deport Ashley Judd from BBN? I’m already weary of her vomiting politics all over everyone else, and now I hear the story from yesterday that someone at a game said I like Trump to her, and it made her afraid. Why do so many people (on either side) think they should be allowed to loudly proclaim their opinions, but no one that disagrees with them should be able to do the same?

• Realme
      10:51 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Now I would like to deport Mitch McConnell too.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

At games we should all “stick ta sports!”

• Realme
      10:55 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I prefer to never talk religion or politics anywhere, so that is fine with me.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

They say that religion and politics have killed more people and started more wars that, well, anything! Even worse that UK/UL basketball! Maybe John Lennon was right…

• symphonist41169
      11:12 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Self-proclaimed “naaaaasty woman”. I bet that’s true in a lot of ways….

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Did you see the Snoop Dogg video in which he fires a gun at Trump?
      Hollywood elite and celebrities need to chill…a lot of their remarks and actions would get the rest of us arrested, or at least a chat with the “Men in Black”.

• That fan also didn’t have to bring up politics at the game. I’m conservative, but if I’m at a UK game we’re all blue!

• Realme
      11:30 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Agree, but he didn’t get into any craziness or extensive detail. I don’t think his 3 word statement merited the way she slandered him online after. I don’t think it was really about being at a game for her. I think it’s about someone speaking to her face to face that set her off.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Congrats to Union College in Barbourville bringing home the NAIA National Championship.
    Let’s bring home another one….Go Cats.

• ukjaybrat
      10:59 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

3 if you count bellarmine

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Davenport has it going on at Bellarmine. Seems like a really likable guy too.

8. J-Dub421
    11:12 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Smart move, pay to keep Vince.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:24 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Whom does Mitch have for advisors? I don’t have UL or Duke surviving their regions.
    I doubt McConnell has watched a basketball game all year.

• secrick
      11:30 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I think his advisor is Rick Pitino on this one.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

He’s just a U of L homer.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I doubt Mitch even knows about the scandals at UL.

• For my bracket (entering a local radio station’s contest, not gambling), I decided to try something different this year. After hearing Mike Decourcy on Dick Gabriel’s show last night, I thought I would just use his bracket, except I OF COURSE have UK winning it all. He has UNC winning it over Arizone (((shudders))).

10. secrick
    11:35 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Every one is picking Wich. St to beat Ky in the second game. I think Dayton just might win that one but really don’t care who we play because we can beat both of them.

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

4 of our 5 losses were to teams ranked in the top 15, and 3 of the 5 were on the road. We are not losing to Wichita St. at a “neutral” site. (We all know Indy won’t really be neutral.)

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I think you may be right; Atlantic 10 is nothing to sneeze at; and Richmond looked pretty good last night at Alabama.

• secrick
      11:46 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

That’s right J-DUB . I think the people picking them are just hoping like heck the beat us.

• ukjaybrat
      11:50 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

i think there is a high chance (95%) we make it to the sweet 16.

Butthe problem is that we will play 4 title contenmders the rest of the way and as much as it pains me to say it, i think out inconsistency will bite us somwhere. first game against UCLA? Title against Duke? somwhere in between? not even going to venture a guess. but i think in the first two games we can have an off night and still win. but every game after that will take a full effort from everyone in blue. and we’ve only seen that in a few games this year. much less 4 in a row. ugh

11. CatManDo
    11:51 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Radio Gold!

12. runningunnin.454
    11:52 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Pretty good performance….I hate it when celebs drag on the anthem.

13. Realme
    11:53 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Woooooooooooooooo! Play ball! (sorry, the anthem got me pumped up for a second there).

14. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Who is the lady singing the national anthem? She has an amazing voice, and I like the fact that she didn’t try to butcher it by “personalizing” it like some of those “divas” commonly do.

15. secrick
    11:57 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Go Big Blue.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:59 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Word of advice; don’t have Levar Ball on the show…. you can’t argue with stupid.

17. nicky