KSR is at The Ketch (Friday Show Thread)

Hit the road with KSR!  Head over to the corner of Southland Drive and Regency Road to see Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond at The Catch Ketch.  Prepare for an excellent preview of this weekend’s match-up with Texas A&M and much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

62 Comments for KSR is at The Ketch (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Watched Jay Bias walk the 94 feet with Joel Berry last night. Bilas asked him “the best game you’ve played”. Berry said Kentucky in the Elite 8. I thought, Yeah you rascal…best team you played, too. Took sixth man Higgins to win that one.

• Realme
      10:00 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Blech.

• secrick
      10:05 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Watch out 454 Higgins will sue you.

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha, yeah I was hoping the lights would go out, and they couldn’t get them back on.

• Realme
      10:08 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

So did he drop that case? Seems like a Finebaum tweet alluded to that but I never saw anything definite.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha secrick, I don’t think his lawyers would want to challenge my First Amendment rights.

• secrick
      10:11 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Haven’t heard anything on that case so not sure.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

The threats were a bad look for our fans, however, I doubt it can be proven that any of them were legitimate threats with an intent to be carried out. It was just idiots venting.

2. ukjaybrat
    10:02 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

new position, new responsibilities, poor performances lately have resulted in me being completely MIA from the show thread lately. how’s everyone been doing ?

• secrick
      10:06 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

You are talking about Kys poor performance , right. LOL. Doing good.

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

… yeah that. i actually had a great year. hence, new position. i’m really excited for it too. 😀 😀 😀 $ $ $

• Realme
      10:09 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Congrats on your new job. We’re holding down the fort of course.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

LOL, Jay…did you get an offer from Duke?

• ukjaybrat
      10:14 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

nah. they couldn’t afford me. all their money is dumped in athletics

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Congrats on the new job!

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

You mean you didn’t get a duffel bag full of cash with the offer? 🙂 Now I know why the dook dude’s name is BAGley! 😀

3. Realme
    10:10 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Love seafood, but the Ketch menu never seemed that appealing. Never actually tried it.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

About a year ago, a guy from the Mobile area who had been selling fresh seafood from a refrigerated truck in various places throughout KY, opened up a seafood shop in E-town. It is every bit as good as what you can get at any seafood shop on the gulf coast. I am spoiled rotten by having that available at any time, and I can’t eat that farm raised crap they sell in grocery stores anymore.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Agree, New Orleans is heaven.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

rg, I forgot to mention, but they have a location in Paducah as well. Not sure how close that is to you, but I seem to recall you are out west somewhere.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yep Clutch, I’ll have to check that out.

• Not Dan Issel
      10:28 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Oh yeah, I think they call themselves Gulf Coast Seafood. I’ve eaten at the E’town location on several occasions. Always get the crawfish platter. Absolutely delicious. Definitely the place for seafood around these parts.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

In Louisville, I usually go to Mitchell’s Fish Market (its a restaurant). They bring in fresh seafood everyday. I love that Louisville is a big enough city and close enough to the coast to get fresh seafood.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I got absolutely hooked on seafood (Cajun in particular) when I was living in Baton Rouge in the 80’s. You could find great food at just about any little greasy spoon type place.

5. Realme
    10:21 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Did you all see the thread where some dummies were arguing that too many liberals or too many conservatives were the problem with Rupp Arena. Could have been a KSR comment section parody, but I think they were serious.

• secrick
      10:26 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry i don’t get the Rupp Arena thing. It’s been the same for 40 years and has never hurt recruiting and never hurt the teams performance that i know of.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think the Rupp atmosphere hurts our team; but, it doesn’t intimidate the opponent…unless some spectacular plays cause the “roar”.

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

it has gotten a little worse over the years. the attention lately makes it seem worse than it is imo.

i still think if we are staying (which we are for anotehr 15 years at least), they need to build suites and get the rich folks out of the lower levels. and the sec needs to serve alcohol. those two things would liven up the games tenfold.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Great minds think alike, Jay. I said the same thing yesterday.

• secrick
      10:35 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Do the students have to pay for tickets?

• Realme
      10:39 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, 10 bucks I think.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

There’s the problem….students should not have to pay.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I agree there needs to be a place for the typical lower arena folks to go and be more casual if that’s what they choose. But attendance at sporting events is down across the board. I know I would much rather stay home and watch a game on a 65″ TV with DVR, cold beer, etc. I’m just not motivated to pay for a ticket, parking, concessions and deal with crowds when I don’t have to.

• DrSayre
      10:56 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I think Matt isnt giving the theory that the team is just kinda hard to watch enough credit. Im not saying Rupp’s atmosphere is great, but the crowd has been good for big games in the past 5 years or so. It’s just hard to get really pumped up about a team that’s only scoring ~20 points in the first half. Couple that with what Matt has been saying about Mitch Barnhart not really caring about the fan experience, it makes complete sense why Rupp is what it is.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Agree. We really don’t have a stud on the floor like we have in past years – Fox, Monk, Ulis, Murray, KAT, Willie, AD, etc. Without the star power, you need to have a team that plays really well as a TEAM to really get the crowd up and cheering. We are a bunch of “basketball bennies”, after all. 😉 We know good basketball when we see it, and we also know bad basketball. What we have had this year so far has usually been pretty bad, as much as we may like these kids individually. Hard to watch, much less get up for to cheer like a maniac for 40 minutes straight.

• DrSayre
      11:27 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

yeah, like 3 pointers for example. How many times have we came close to ending the streak? I cant remember one time during the Tubby era the three point streak was in Jeopardy late in the 2nd half, and how much did fans complain about the slow style of basketball Tubby used?

• Realme
      11:34 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

All of these arguments, while true, make the opposite point in a way. Cal is asking that people cheer to encourage the team and pick them up, not only to reward them when something good happens. We should also be trying to intimidate the other team, but Rupp cheering is exclusively for entertaining plays and free chicken.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I think BTI had an article up last week that showed that the streak had been on thin ice many times in the past, including under Tubby.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Realme, I agree that we want to have Rupp as an intimidating environment, but not all of us are 25 years old. I have to take up a little bit for some of the older folks in the crowd. It sometimes takes some excitement on the court to really get the adrenaline pumping with the crowd. I don’t know if I have a good answer why some of the environments on the road are so much more pumped up – maybe it is just the fact that they hate us so much. The players themselves could help to get the crowd going simply by motioning to them between plays. If Jared Vanderbilt raises his arms up to the crowd to ask them to get loud, I don’t think they would disappoint him.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, they hate us so much. The A&M beat the hell out of Kentucky t-shirt thing is really tacky. Thought Texas was classier than that.

• Realme
      11:49 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

RG that does sound more like something Louisville would do.

• DrSayre
      12:10 pm February 9, 2018 Permalink

RCF, Ill have to look at that BTI article. I was mostly going off of memory, but Im sure Twitter probably makes the three point streak worse when we get late in a game without a 3.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:34 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Watched some of the Olympics last night…I’m a little sad Yoko Ono will not be skating.
    Oh, crap I meant Apolo Ohno.

7. DrSayre
    10:40 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I agree with Matt on this. TT put out a picture where they put a glass thing over it… I dont think they need to do all that, but why not just paint it with something really cool

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Agree. I was passing through the small Western Ky town of Earlington recently…pop of around 1500.
      There is a building, bank or something, that has a large mural of the Earlington HS play that won the ’67 State Tournament by one point with one second on the clock.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Please, PLEASE make an NBA team in Louisville happen!

• Realme
      10:57 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Seriously. Issel, what can we do to help?

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Should we start a GoFundMe page?

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Of course, the main reason I want an NBA team in Louisville is the chance that we will get to see some of our ex-Cats playing. But the other reason is that having them play at the YUM Center will make a lot of the UofL fans really mad! 😀

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I never would have said this a few years ago, but YES PLEASE! My 11 year old has become an NBA junkie, and I have gotten into watching the games with him. I have even caught him watching the Celtics on his tablet when a UK game is on. I draw the line there!

• Realme
      11:15 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yes, surely we’d see some UK guys come home. Regardless, I’d love to have an NBA team to really get into, and having a team that’s local should get me over that hump. And they could make it really cool if they resurrect the Colonels.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Either resurrect the Colonels, or call us the Thoroughbreds. (Colonels would be easy for me, because my kids play for the Oldham County Colonels, and their colors are blue and white. 😉 )

• Realme
      11:20 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Say we get one. Would they be considered the Lousiville ______ or the Kentucky _______?

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

It would be the KENTUCKY “Colonels”, or KENTUCKY “Thoroughbreds”. No question about it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I think the only way it would be otherwise would be if there was another large city in the state with a professional basketball team.

• Realme
      11:31 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Ok good.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:17 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Is Bourbon County still dry, and Christian County still wet? Odd that.
    Only thing you have to know about Anderson Co is they gave us Wild Turkey and Jimmy Dan Connor.

10. J-Dub421
    11:43 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Wiggins isn’t the best player on his own NBA team. Karl Towns is.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

What about the report of the trouble with the Wizards? The problem is not Wall, it’s Beal…takes really bad shots.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Having watched a few Wizards games, I kind of think Beal is jealous of Wall and all the attention he gets. Beal wants to be “the guy” but he’s too inconsistent. The chemistry between Beal and Wall has never been good.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:54 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

I agree about Johnny Weir. Last night he called the Italian pairs amateurish…ouch.