KSR is at Southland Christian Church today (Wednesday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

Lexingtonians, get on over to Southland Christian Church on Richmond Road for a live remote broadcast of today’s show.

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are in the cafe (with donuts) to discuss last night’s win over Missouri.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

95 Comments for KSR is at Southland Christian Church today (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. RealCatsFan
    10:04 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

UGLY game last night. We didn’t move the ball well on offense (as evidenced by the low assist count), and our defense stunk! Seems to me that we played much better defense against UT last week when we were not switching as much on screens. We went back to switching last night, and got torched. Don’t understand why we can’t stick with something that works. The switching only leads to confusion an mismatches, especially than the pick and roll.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I said couple of days ago, this would be a game we would come out flat; but, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that first half. Was there vaseline on the ball, or was it so hot in there it was like a sweat shop?
    Glad Bam was ready to play.

10:10 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

to me it looked like the guys were moving a couple speeds faster than normal. You ever find yourself in a hurry to get out the door because you’re running late and you drop your keys? It looked like that was what was happening last night.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Have to hand it to SEC officials….a traveling call on a tie-up; they are imaginative.
    I would not have been T’d up, however, I think I would have been speechless the rest of the game.
    I’m sure I had one of Crean’s dumbfounded looks on my face.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

And then they DO call a tie-up when our guy is getting his head taken off. SMH

10:15 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

that was my favorite. dude was getting bear hugged from behind and they call it a tie up…. if that’s not a foul i don’t know what is

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

They mugged us in the paint and on the rebounds the last 3 minutes of the game; but, it was our fault it was that close.

10:19 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

if i was a gif artist, i would have made a night at the roxburry gif with bam being knocked around and a little text bubble at the end saying “no foul – play on”

but im not as talented as these young pups with their internets

4. J-Dub421
    10:16 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Good god, just when you think the officiating can’t get any worse, it does.

The travel call on Wenyen when he got mauled, at the very least should have been a jump ball, but possibly a foul on Mizzou.

Hawkins got called for a foul when a Mizzou player threw a forearm into his face/neck and pushed off.

Briscoe got bodied out of bounds, turnover on Briscoe.

Briscoe got tackled at midcourt and they called it a walk on Briscoe.

Fox got grabbed by the neck/chest from behind – jump ball.

Those are just the most egregious fouls I can remember off the top of my head.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

See my response to jay below…

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:16 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I’ll say this one time and then I’ll drop it. Briscoe had 6 turnovers last night. He has got to take care of the basketball for us to succeed.

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

At least 2 of those turnovers were fouls on Mizzou that didn’t get called.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:26 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Officiating is out of your control, but you can control the basketball. We can’t blame the officiating for everything. I don’t care about his shooting. PROTECT THE ROCK.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:55 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

John Wall averaged 4 TO’s a game, and many times had 7-8 in a game, wasn’t a great shooter…. and everyone still loves him.

BBN picks the wrong fights….

• Realme
      11:59 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

“BBN picks the wrong fights” So true Big Board. Often led by Matt, as in this Briscoe bashing.

6. ukbradstith
    10:17 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

We were +13 with Briscoe in the game. That was the best +/- on the team. That stat doesn’t lie.

7. ukjaybrat
    10:17 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

i’ve said it before and i will say it again, the SEC has enough money to fire all of the officials and just hire away the guys form the Big East and pay them more money. at least they know what they’re doing. our guys clearly don’t.

But who knows really? maybe it goes higher than that. Maybe they are being trained to make these bad calls and being rewarded for it. I truly do not understand. I watch other games all the time and i see bad calls in every game. but I don’t see officiating NEARLY as blatantly awful as in SEC games.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

just wish the NCAA would institute an officiating board that oversees all of the game and analyzes the bad calls on tape. Yes, there is a human element to it, but if a ref accumulates a certain number of blatantly bad or missed calls in a certain time period he should have some repercussions – suspension, fine, whatever. Just do something to make them the least little bit accountable.

10:36 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

this apparently already exists, but it’s not transparent and it is managed on a conference level.
      So we don’t see that TV got yelled at or slapped on the wrist or nothing at all for a bad call.

Also, apparently other conferences are managing this correctly and the sec is not.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

My theory for last night was that Missouri officials cranked the heat up in the arena. The announcers said a couple times how the gym seemed hotter than others they’d been into. Cal was sweating profusely, more than he has all year. The sweat on the ball. I think that was done purposely by Missouri for an advantage. I would have done the same thing with nothing to lose against the 11th ranked team in the country.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Surprised we didn’t have a few players slipping on the floor like we have had several times this year.

10:21 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

i did notice cal was wiping sweat away a lot more than usual. interesting theory.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

That occurred to me, too; but, then I thought….surely not. That could get their players hurt.
      If that were to come out, Missouri would be outcasts.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:32 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

…unless Missouri has practiced in increased heating. I would have. 😉

9. bdgdad
    10:19 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Game was hard to watch. Briscoe was trying too hard and shots were forced all night, instead of moving the ball and getting good shots

10. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I understand the argument of Briscoe “checking out” mentally if he no longer starts, but isn’t that basically the inmates running the asylum? Cal said after the 2013 fiasco that he was not going to have a team “taken hostage” again, but this would be a perfect example of that. I sure hope that is not the reason that Briscoe still starts.

• Realme
      10:32 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I would argue that Cal should have made good on his promise to bench Malik if he’s not rebounding and defending. When he’s not shooting well, he should be going out of his way to make up the difference in hustle plays, but he tends to do the opposite without repercussion.

11. bdgdad
    10:20 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

The Refs were horrible, but we still should have beat that team by 25.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Did anyone else wince when Fox went down? That looked bad. If my legs bent that way, I would be in traction for a week. These kids are amazingly flexible.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I thought it was funny, SEC announcers had a live update and said it was not known if Fox could return, and he was sitting at the scorer’s bench waiting to come in.
      With the question to Cal at halftime, it was not a good night for the network.

13. Realme
    10:23 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

My Twitter last night in the first ten minutes:
    Malik turns it over: silence
    Isaiah turns it over: GET HIM OUT OF THERE, HE’S A TURNOVER MACHINE!
    Wenyen turns it over: fine
    Bam turns it over: no problem

Don’t get me wrong, I think he needs to protect the ball better, and he (and others) have got to stop travelling. But as Brad pointed out above, Briscoe had the best +- and that’s not a stat to ignore. I’m kind of getting tired of Matt bashing him.

10:27 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it better myself.
      He’s got the harrison syndrome. All eyes are on him because he had an underwhelming freshman season.
      Now whenever he makes the smallest mistake, he gets crucified for it.
      Yes, Briscoe has a lot of room for improvement. But so does everyone on the team.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Everyone is complaining about Briscoe’s shooting. He was 4-6 from the floor last night. Monk 4-12. Fox 4-10.

14. J-Dub421
    10:25 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Where the eff was Willis last night?? He was god-awful. 4 points and 1 rebound.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:29 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

He may be the most inconsistent player on the team.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Yet everyone complains about Briscoe.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

He doesn’t turn the ball over.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Huh?

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Well, to be fair, LC, Willis doesn’t turn the ball over because, frankly, he usually doesn’t do much other than stand around at the 3-point line waiting for the ball. He doesn’t handle the ball or slash inside. If he did that once in a while, he might be a lot more effective, and it might get his shooting on track. That has been a big disappointment for Willis – he is athletic enough to be a good slasher, but he doesn’t have the will to do it.

10:39 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

because he doesn’t play with the ball in his hands. he gets passed the ball and either shoots or passes it again. The only time willis dribbles the ball is in transition, and even then he better not dribble it more than once or that means he is carrying the ball up the floor for way too much distance and should have passed it already

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Willis doesn’t rebound or play defense either. He just stands there.

15. 96ChampionBestTeamEver
    10:26 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Do we track missed layups? I would love to see this stat for this team compared to past UK teams.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

That’s because they put that AAU spin on the ball; just lay it up there, and forget about degree of difficulty scoring…it’s not diving.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Or they want to hit that pretty little teardrop in the lane instead of using the backboard for the easy shot. Finger rolls – same thing. Much less chance of missing or getting it blocked if you lay it up off the glass. But that’s too old school for these kids – not flashy enough.

16. ukbradstith
    10:26 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe was our second best player last night. Hawkins is fine, but without checking stats, I think he is a worse shooter than Briscoe. Briscoe turns it over too much, but I’ll give up a couple of turnovers for his rebound and scoring.

17. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

All of these complaints about officiating have me scratching my head. Officiating shouldn’t have to decide a game between a 7-19 Missouri team and the 11th team in the country.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

That’s true, but you have to admit… the officiating is comical at best.

• Realme
      10:37 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I don’t blame the officials for how bad our team played, but I do think they have performed poorly since SEC play started, and are a big part of why it’s less fun to watch these games. I think we can call for better officiating and call for our team to get it together. Not either or.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

The officiating didn’t keep the game that close last night. There were many other factors and opportunities. It also didn’t make a huge difference at Florida in the blowout, worst loss of the year in my opinion. At Tennessee, at Louisville, & Kansas possibly.

10:42 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

LC many people are complaining about the team’s performance AND the officiating. they are mutually exclusive.

Did our team play poorly? Yes
      Was the officiating bad? Yes

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I’m tired of watching our players get mauled all the time and it not getting called. I don’t want our players getting injured.

18. ukbradstith
    10:30 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Two turnovers (at least) were out of his control. Briscoe turns it over too much, but other than that he helps more than hurts. We have 7-8 losses without Briscoe, that’s the only thing you need to remember.

19. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Cal should have pulled a BCG on that reporter and said “That is a really terrible question”. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Cal is not like that. Besides, she is cute…and she must be really tall.
      And, she did apologize.

20. Realme
    10:33 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I’m happy we won, and that there is only one SEC road game left, they have been torture to watch.

21. J-Dub421
    10:37 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Don’t you just love the lack of self-awareness from Mizzou fans and media? Their student section chanting at Cal, and the reporter who parroted a sign being held by a student (“5 years from now when Coach Cal has to abdicate this year’s wins…the Tigers will get the W”). Your team is currently on probation!!!

• Realme
      10:44 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, they’re the ones who cheated, and if they think Cal sucks, what does that say about their own coach?

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Not only that, but they cheated and still suck.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Same mentality as the Louisville fans who call Cal a cheater when their team is under investigation for ho’s in the dorms.

10:49 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

they strolled into the sec and got a couple of division titles in football when the real big boys (uga, fl, ut) were having historically bad seasons and think they are hot stuff all of a sudden. fast forward to 2017 and both programs are hot garbage and their fans are almost as delusional about it as UL fans..

10:51 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

jdub to be fair, they cheated their way into a 2 seed. then became only thee 3rd ( or4th – i forgot) 2 seed to ever lose in the first round. and since theat day a few years ago, there have been a handful more. a lot more parity in bball now than their used to be.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Maybe they don’t know they’re on probation; they sure don’t go to the games.

22. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I still think that our defense needs to be a mixture of zone and straight man-to-man WITHOUT switching on screens. Maybe throw in an occasional full court press to disrupt them. What says everyone else?

• Realme
      10:49 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I think they should just try harder and defend with more energy and effort. And figure out something for pick and roll.

10:59 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Hot take incoming…

I honestly don’t think our defense is that bad “lately”
      point totals given up in last 4 games:
      62, 77, 58, 58

and three of those games were on the road. hold a team to 60 points or less and I think you’re playing just fine. 77 was @UGA, that’s a lot of points but it was on the road in a hostile gym. still won didn’t we?

I think if our defense is keeping it in the 60s, our offense should be playing well enough to score in the 80s and that’s going to win us games. now if our defense reverts back to the teamNF days before the “reboot” took affect and we start giving up 80+ to really bad teams (LSU), THEN we have problems. but i haven’t seen anything glaringly wrong as of lately.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I like man-to-man in the half court; but, I would like to see a 1-2-2 full court press. People are clamoring for more playing time for Hawkins and Mulder; we have the depth to press, not to mention the length and speed.

23. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Dude who ran on the court appeared to lunge at Fox and the little Mizzou PG. I think he might have tapped the Mizzou player on the shoulder as he ran by. I think he ran on there so fast they didn’t have time to tackle him.

11:00 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

“What the hell was the Mizzou PG trying to accomplish by trying to steal the ball with 10 seconds left? I thought that was kind of a punk move.”

ditto. game’s over bro, don’t be a prick, just go lineup shake hands, take your L, and go home.

• Realme
      11:01 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Mizzou pg raised his hands to the ref, like “why didn’t you call a foul on that guy?”

24. Realme
    11:15 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

After all the Mulder love Matt’s been showing the last couple days, he should remember that we have 3 seniors.

25. secrick
    11:17 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Been gone a couple days and just back and read most of you guys comments. I know nothing about the game and love all the players and Cal but i have to give my opinion . Please Briscoe stop shooting threes and Please Cal stop taking guys out when the make a mistake how can they get in the flow of the game when they are worried about coming out of the game.

11:20 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

1) briscoe is a better 3pt shooter than fox

2) He doesnt take them out for EVERY mistake, just the really bad ones or the ones that they had been working on recently. there was one game during the 14 season (i think) where he even said during pregame that they were working on defending back door cuts. every single time a player got beat on a backdoor cut, they sat. not for every mistake, but that particular one that they had been focusing on got you riding pine every time. i imagine it’s not much different today.

26. Laker Cat 18
    11:19 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I just caught the tail end of Matt’s comment about Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss. What did he do last night? I can’t find anything online.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Not sure if it was last night or a game earlier in the season, but he got into a verbal sparring match with a fan of the opponent who was heckling him.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Got into a shouting match with a fan.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Just saw it. I didn’t think it was as bad as Matt made it out to be. With that said, Kennedy is a loose cannon.

27. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Mrs RCF has started listening to KSR on podcast when she gets the chance. The other day, she asked me straight up – “Who is that Ryan guy on KSR? He’s kind of slow, isn’t he?” 😀

• Realme
      11:25 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Well if I was new to the show and listened to Ryan talk bout sheepdogs hoarding sheep, I’d wonder too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Ha! Ryan just bragged about being a great penetrator… at basketball. 🙂

28. Welp
    11:24 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Last in state significant contributors to graduate were Ravi Moss and Patrick Sparks in 2006

11:29 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

darius miller ?

29. J-Dub421
    11:29 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

AAaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! Matt just criticized our team’s effort (or lack thereof), but also spent a bunch of time criticizing Briscoe. Who gives more effort more consistently than Briscoe??? He’ also criticized our shooting. Briscoe was 4-6 last night, pretty good, and not a lot of shots taken. Briscoe was not the problem last night.

• Realme
      11:34 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

He also straight out said (on the postgame show) we were better last night when Briscoe was not in the game. Objectively not true. If only he would read all of our expert opinions.

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Remember all the Disapperius and Disapoythress comments about Darius Miller and Alex? Willis is a thousand times worse about disappearing. An off night for Alex was in the 7-8 points and rebounds range and he still played defense. Willis had 4 points and 1 rebound last night. Why does he get a free pass? The Harrison twins got a ton of criticism too. I just don’t understand why certain players are judged so harshly when others are not.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

See?? Matt just did it again! “At least Willis will rebound now, that’s helped.” No, he won’t, at least not consistently.

• Realme
      11:49 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

I often felt like Alex was deserving of that criticism. Capable of much more than he typically did. But yes, except for on here, it’s like Derek can do no wrong. Maybe we are more willing to overlook the failings of a flashy 3 point shooter than anyone else?

11:51 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

“flashy 3 point shooter”
      and he hasn’t even been that lately

11:54 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

He had an awesome game against UT, other than that, he has hit either 1 or 0 threes in every game since Kansas. for a dude that has ONE job to do, he sure isnt’ doing it and is NOT taking any flack for it either. seems like monk has “a couple” bad shooting days and he’s getting blasted. Briscoe has some turnovers and he’s getting blasted. at least they aren’t just taking up space on the floor for a third of the season

30. Mr. Ball said “Switch him and my son now!”, as if that’s possible. Beyond ridiculous. He’s making a claim that can’t be proven. It’s like when Barry Bonds & Sammy Sosa denied taking steroids and said “Test me. Test me now!” when they knew the rules at the time didn’t allow it.

Also, like one commenter said the other day, UCLA might win it all, but it wasn’t a real (substantive) guarantee since Mr. Ball had nothing to lose by saying that. He’s so arrogant that if they don’t win it he’ll probably deny having said it.

31. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am February 22, 2017 Permalink

Please, 8 lb 6 oz Baby Jesus, do not let UNC win a championship. Or Duke. Or Louisville.

32. Laker Cat 18

7. Kentucky
    8. Villanova
    9. Arizona
    10. West Virginia

33. secrick
    12:13 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

ESPN has been promoting the 4 coaches tonight that are playing and coaching their teams. They should show the NCAA violations that 3 of the teams and the coaches have had in the past 10 years.

• RealCatsFan
      12:26 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

And Duke should be on that list too, but the NCAA doesn’t have the balls to go after the vampire that coaches Duke.