KSR is at Maker’s Mark! (Monday Show Thread)

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are at the Maker’s Mark Distillery in Loretto this morning for two hours of live Kentucky Sports Radio radio.

Stop by to hear the show as they talk about the football scrimmage, the national championship ring for sale, the Emmys and meeting David Letterman.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for KSR is at Maker’s Mark! (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

I was listening to my 2nd favorite radio show last night….xm radio ’60’s channel show with a dj named Cousin Brucie. He takes calls from around the country; I wasn’t paying close attention until I heard a caller say he played basketball for the University of Kentucky. Brucie kept calling him Larry; so I guessed it was Larry Stamper who was an “enforcer” for Rupp in the early ’70’s.
    I was at UK the same time, and I remember a guy gave him a cheap shot one time, and Larry pushed him and sent him sprawling about 10 ft. I asked him after the game why he didn’t punch the guy, he said “I was going to, but after I shoved him, he was too far away”.
    I knew he had been battling cancer, and was so glad to hear he’s doing much better.

• Realme
      10:20 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

That’s a great answer to your question.

• I have a pencil drawing my dad got for me of one of those early 70’s teams (Rupp’s last or next to last year I think) and Stamper is on it along with Larry Steele and others (Thomas Payne is on it I think…it’s put away right now). I can’t figure out if it’s actual pencil or a repro (I don’t want to take a Pink Pearl to it!), but it’s pretty cool. It is framed but no glass. I should have had glass put over it a long time ago because it gets dusty. I wonder if it would sell for as much as a stainless steel/CZ 2012 ring?

Great to hear that Stamper called in and that he’s doing better. I didn’t know he had cancer.

• BTW, I wish we could do HTML here so I could post a pic of that drawing.

RG, I’ll have to get it out and let you know the year, artist, etc. Joe B is in it since he was an assistant. The SEC trophy is pictured.

2. Realme
    10:19 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

If you’re about to meet one of your idols, why not try to have a conversation, i.e. actually meet the person, instead of asking for a selfie? I get why Matt does selfies with Bevin, Bobby Knight, etc., but not trying to speak to Letterman seems weird.

3. NKBlue
    10:24 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

David Letterman went to Ball State in Muncie IN, not Miami of Ohio.

4. Realme
    10:30 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

I’d rather it be Hood that sold his ring than one of the guys who really contributed to the championship, but do think he’ll wish he had it one day.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Would it be possible that a member of a player’s family sold the ring? Based on scuttlebutt I’ve heard, that wouldn’t surprise me.

• Realme
      10:45 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

That’s just evil if someone did it without his permission.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Based upon what I’ve heard, evil would be the word.

5. 3rdHarrisonTwin
    10:42 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Larry Stamper use to be a teacher at my high school. He would sometime play pick up ball with us and was still very. He is a good man

6. 3rdHarrisonTwin
    10:42 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

*very tough

7. Realme
    10:52 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Well my unpopular opinion just got me moderated. What about you guys?

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t be worse than bashing the cheerleaders.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Our cheerleaders have a bajillion national titles, who would be stupid enough to bash them?

8. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

That crowd is really rowdy….are they passing out samples?

9. 3rdHarrisonTwin
    11:08 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Yeah Sentient Third Eye

10. I remember Sue Wylie on channel 18 when I was a kid! I also remember seeing the channel 18 weather guy in a K-Mart parking lot once (can’t remember his name…Jim something with curly hair I think). I think it was my first celebrity siting. I was excited. lol

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

I used to see Walter McCarty in Costco all the time when he lived in town.

11. ukkatzfan
    11:18 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

What happened to the No judgement zone ?

12. J-Dub421
    11:26 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Wooden and Coach K – both cheaters but the NCAA always looked the other way.

13. Realme
    11:27 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Cal “gets a pass” for only having one title? So, either be the equivalent of Wooden or K or you’re a bust? Dumb.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Also, when does Cal ever “get a pass” from anyone? Everybody acts like he should win the title every single year.

14. Realme
    11:44 am August 7, 2017 Permalink

Do you think Madison even listens to the answers to his questions?

15. WildcatMarkC
    1:13 pm August 7, 2017 Permalink

Anyone else only getting hour 2 showing up on the podcast?

16. largebluej
    1:17 pm August 7, 2017 Permalink

Hour 2 of the podcast is available but no Hour 1. I wonder if it will meet the same fate as Hour 2 of the Tim Couch show….

• WildcatMarkC
      1:45 pm August 7, 2017 Permalink

I almost forgot about that… a question for ask anything friday as to why??

17. jsuge20
    8:49 pm August 7, 2017 Permalink

I was wondering if Makers Mark served you guys lunch and if so was it chicken??