KSR is at…BoomBozz in Westport Village! (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon are at BoomBozz Pizza & Taphouse in Westport Village (1315 Herr Lane) in Louisville on the latest stop of the Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass Summer Tour. If you’re in the area, come on out to hear the show and register for tickets to a UK basketball or football game from GuyOnTheCornerTickets.com.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list 2016 KSR Tour

52 Comments for KSR is at…BoomBozz in Westport Village! (Monday Show Thread)

1. CATandMONKEY
    10:21 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

We need a bowl game. 6 wins gives Mitch and Stoops breathing room. 7 regular season wins and most will be forgotten if not totally forgiven. 5 wins or less and many in the fanbase, myself included will be looking for a new coach. I wish it were NOT this way but results on the field are what counts.

• I have to agree. I know we have a tough schedule, but Stoops actually CAMPAIGNED for this job, and he knew the SEC is a meat grinder.

• Realme
      10:27 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I just hope that the new offensive staff is going to give us that final edge that we need to at least go bowling from now on. But every time I think about that first game I’m kind of scared.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:33 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

If Patty ice had a greenlight to run last year, we very likely play in a bowl game.
      I am enthusiastically optimistic that the new offensive staff pushes us to a bowl. Hope the defense greatly outperforms most of our expectations.

• Too bad Gran & Hinshaw didn’t come last year. I think we would have at least won 6 games, and maybe Patty Ice would still be wearing blue.

After they were hired, at least one post on KSR said Gran was a candidate last year. Did anyone ever hear/read why he didn’t get it then? Was it lack of interest on his part at the time, or did Stoops think Dawson was the better choice?

• Realme
      10:37 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I think Gran said it wasn’t the right timing for him.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I had heard that Gran was Stoops first choice last year, but Gran turned him down the first time.

2. Random note: so me and the fam are leaving Chick Fil A (where I live in Bama) the other day, and a man (in his 50’s I guess) says “Man, I see you everywhere!” I thought “Do I know him?”. I just laughed and said hello and hoped I would figure out who he was, and he said it again. Then I looked up and saw that his wife was wearing a UL hat. I was wearing a UK hat, and so by then I knew what he meant and we all laughed. He then said something like “Everywhere I go I see Kentucky fans! I can’t get away from them!”. They were travelling and had just pulled off the interstate to eat and he just can’t believe how ubiquitous we are. We exchanged pleasantries and enjoyed another laugh or 2 about it, and I thought you guys would like to hear the story, because it confirms what Matt always says about the BBN.

#bluegetsineverywhere

• Realme
      10:25 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Awesome! I love wearing a UK shirt out of state and hearing someone scream “Go Cats!” in the middle of Chicago of wherever. Never fails.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I have been in foreign countries a couple of times wearing UK gear and had people yell Go Cats to me. It’s always cool.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:38 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Nothing better than sitting in a bar at Logan Airport, wearing a UK hat in the late 90’s and having a Celts fan say ” Yo, you from Kentucky? Yeah, they’re awesome. Do us a favor and take Pitino with you when you go home.”

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:47 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I was in San Antonio last year wearing a UK cap. Guy looks at me and says, “You a Kentucky fan?”. I reply, “No, I just beat one up and stole his hat for asking really dumb questions.”

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:24 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

The majority of the fanbase thought Gillespie was a good hire. Most of the yayhoos who cry the loudest now were on board at the time of the hire. Cal was the obvious choice but we were dissed by Donovan and several other coaches at the time. Billy G had just beat UofL. It SEEMED like a good choice at the time.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Sorry to hear about Tim Duncan’s retirement…..I was hoping for another year. He has always been a low profile class act. Always amused by his deadpan expression on the court, no matter what was happening, it was like “just another day at the office”.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. I have always been a fan of Tim Duncan. He’s like the anti-Kobe, who I never liked. (I respect Kobe’s talent, just never liked his personality.)

5. I think the main problem with the Joker hire is that the HCIW thing hasn’t worked for most schools, other than FSU, who started that short-lived trend. Granted, I think it wasn’t long after they named Jimbo the HCIW that we did it with Joker, so it was an unproven staffing method. I understand Joker was kind of a hot commodity at the time, but you can’t limit yourself like that when you tell every coach in America “Don’t apply for the job! We have our 1 and only candidate!” (unless it’s a proven coach like a Calipari or a Saban). I can’t say I was against him being the coach one day, but I definitely had some reservations about the concept of HCIW as opposed to opening it up to a search, and the reservations turned out to be valid (at other schools too, not just UK).

• Although, I guess we could say:

“If Joker had worked out, the HCIW would be considered a GENIUS staffing method!”
      -Shannon Dawson

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:41 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Since Joker’s HCIW tag got us a string of five bowl games, it was a good idea. The mistake was keeping him as HC that extra year before making a change when it all went south.

• Well, that’s speculation somewhat. If he had left we may have found an OC that was just as good or better. But, if a frog had wings…

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:02 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

But a few bad years is a good trade for five bowl seasons. The mistake was keeping him that extra year when he was damaged goods. He was a dead-man-walking and he brought in probably the worst recruiting class in school history that year. That year, more than anything else, sank the program.

• Yeah, he should have definitely been shown the door a year earlier. DMW is an appropriate description. That last game against Vandy…unreal. The only thing that tempers the memory of that game is the impromptu KSR party with the fan that was sitting by himself in the upper deck.

6. Realme
    10:39 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

So happy for Andrew and also proud that Tyler has shown up in the summer league without missing a beat. So many “wow this kid is good” tweets from Phoenix fans yesterday.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Did they know nothing about Tyler? He was the Cousy Award winner for crap sakes!!! He was the best point guard in the country last year!!

• Realme
      10:42 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, but remember the excitement of actually watching him play here for the first time? You can tell they’re having that experience now.

7. Sentient Third Eye
    10:39 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Mitch is CLEARLY the best AD in UK history. In fact, he’s probably the only real AD we’ve ever had. For decades, the athletics at UK languished because we had no one in charge who even cared about the “other” sports. Back then, basketball was important, football was a little important, and to hell with the rest.

• onsides
      10:44 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Football pays the bills. Even at a basketball-rich school like UK.

8. J-Dub421
    10:39 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I agree with everything Matt just said about Andrew Harrison. I have never seen a player take as much undeserved criticism as Andrew.

• Realme
      10:41 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I have several co-workers that blame the twins for the Wisconsin game. Makes me crazy, there’s so much blame to go around.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:43 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Truth.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

People forget that Lyles and Book got destroyed on defense, Booker didn’t even attempt a three, and Ulis had a very pedestrian stat line in that game too. Andrew and Aaron absolutely should have been in that game at the end. I wanted them in that game. Stick with what got you there in the first place.

• You’re probably right, and honestly, anyone who puts all the blame for the UW loss on Andrew is not considering the effect of Cal taking his foot off the gas. I love Cal and I’m ecstatic that he’s our coach, but he has a bad habit of that and I can’t figure out why.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:50 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

The thing that lost the Wisconsin game was a lack of a SF who could shut down Decker. Basically, we missed the injured Alex Poythress really bad. That was the one game where his injury really hurt us.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Cal’s reasoning is slowing down to limit the number of possessions the other team gets to score, but yes it drives me crazy too. I’m a firm believer in playing to win, not playing not to lose.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Agreed STE. Alex could have guarded Dekker, but Dekker can’t guard Alex. At least based on what I saw the previous year. People also act like Wisconsin sucked, which also makes me crazy. Wisconsin was a back-to-back Final Four Team who went 37-3 that year, and 2 of their losses were to national champion, Duke. (I just threw up in my mouth typing that.)

• Realme
      10:55 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I agree, that’s the only time I get mad at Cal, screaming at the tv to keep going! Plenty of times the other team creeps back in that way.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

You’re absolutely correct, chris. We were down 8 and went up 4 with five minutes left in the Wisconsin game. I love Cal; but, I think he told Andrew to pull it out and grind it out. He did the same thing in the Kansas championship game in ’12; the only difference was that Kansas was too far behind to get back.
      You can’t hold the ball with a shot clock, and the best plan, with out depth, would have been to beat the defense up the floor. That is one page I wish he would tear out of his play book.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Willie started the game on fire and then the rest of the game was kind of pedestrian by his standards. I was really hoping that he could have been more of a factor, especially on defense. I do have to agree with some others that Cal does seem to have a habit of going to conservative mode a bit too early in games. Seems like the same thing almost happened against Kansas in 2012, hence “The Rug’s” comment about them “just running out of time”. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      11:05 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Cal slows to limit the other team’s opportunities but, gosh, dear lord, that was one of the best defensive teams EVER. Have some faith, coach.

• Realme
      11:16 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

As this thread has shown, that loss was pretty much everybody’s fault. And we haven’t mentioned the refs inability to call a shot clock violation yet either.

• Don’t forget he took his foot off the gas against UL in the Final Four in 2012 also. I remember that after that game or the KU game (or both) he was asked about it in the presser and he said “I was just trying to get out of the gym alive.”

CATandMONKEY, you REALLY hit the nail on the head at #xi.

9. Realme
    10:43 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Alex from Coupled the new Kaylee?

10. J-Dub421
    11:12 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Lol, they do sound drunk on half speed. That’s hysterical!

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I think I heard that exact same conversation at that same speed over the weekend at R’Place Pub in Lyndon!

Kind of reminds me of the Tony Moledo car commercials that are all over the airways in Louisville. Dude always sounds like he is three sheets to the wind. Always punctuates his point with a loud “whooo!” I think they just get him good and plastered and then record him reading his lines. 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      11:43 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Fun fact. Tony’s commercials aren’t generic. i travel for work and I’ve heard the exact same commercials for other auto dealers in at least 3 other states.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

He’s a dealer for the people! Woo!

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I have heard the same pitch that Darryl Isaacs uses in his “Heavy Hitter” commercials when I have traveled out of town. Hard to imagine that anyone can pull off the “Wooo” better than Moledo. Guy who used to work with me is married to his sister. He said Tony invited him to a UofL football game with him, and people were constantly coming up to him wanting him to do his “wooo!” for them. 🙂

11. Realme
    11:15 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

Pokemon Go sounds fun to me. If I had kids I’d totally do that with them.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

This guy sounds like they don’t need to play his voice in slo-mo to make him sound drunk.

13. J-Dub421
    11:42 am July 11, 2016 Permalink

I just read a fun stat: During Tim Duncan’s 19 seasons in the NBA, the Spurs made the playoffs every single season. Duncan NEVER missed the playoffs. How many players can say that I wonder?

14. Another test of the Gravatar system.

15. One more try…