KSR is at Academy Sports in Louisville (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon are at Academy Sports in Louisville (13401 Shelbyville Road) to talk about Kentucky’s path in the NCAA Tournament. Come on out for the chance to win tickets to the Cats’ games in Indy, which is shaping up to be one of the toughest tickets to get in the entire tournament.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

50 Comments for KSR is at Academy Sports in Louisville (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. King Kelly Coleman
    10:11 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

KY has more miles of navigable waterways than other state in the US besides Alaska….plenty to kayak or canoe.

• Realme
      10:20 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Matt loves to mock anything he personally doesn’t know about.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Matt isn’t exactly the outdoorsy type.

• J-Dub421
      10:24 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Matt can doubt, but I was taught this in my Kentucky history class at UK.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t want to be in a canoe with Matt. It’s a capsize waiting to happen.

Ten or so years ago, my buddy got married and instead of the traditional bachelor party, he had a “men’s outdoor weekend” on at his hunting camp in Owen Co. We all did a canoe trip, and I ended up with his drunken, overweight brother-in-law in my canoe. Needless to say, I spent more time in the river than in the canoe with his drunk azz flopping around.

• I’m not exactly Mr. Fixit or Mr. Survival Guy myself, but Matt takes the cake.

2. King Kelly Coleman
    10:25 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

“Kentucky has 12.7 million acres of commercial forest land – 50% of the state’s land area. The main species of trees are white oak, red oak, walnut, yellow poplar, beech, sugar maple, white ash and hickory. Kentucky ranks third among hardwood producing states.”

Unfortunately we will be scratching Ash off of that list, due to the Emerald Ash Borer. 🙁

• That is a shame about the ash trees RCF. Didn’t I hear that there was something similar killing pine trees in some states? I may just be thinking about the ash borer.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, there is another pest killing the Eastern hemlock, a type of evergreen tree in Kentucky and Tenn. These trees grow along creek beds and shade the water. When the trees die, it takes away the shade and the water temp goes up, which kills the fish and animals living in the stream. Everything is interconnected when it comes to nature. And humans are the root cause of most of this – almost all of these pests are foreign invaders introduced by human actions. Sad!

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I am using the same injection system to save the ash trees on my property.

3. King Kelly Coleman
    10:25 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Kentucky has more miles of running water than any other state except Alaska. The numerous rivers and water impoundments provide 1,100 commercially navigable miles (1,770 kilometers).

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Seems like I read somewhere that Lake Cumberland alone has more shoreline than the state of Florida when you add up all of the coves and creeks. Hard to believe.

4. Realme
    10:27 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

It’s cute how Arkansas fans think they matter to us as much as we matter to them.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

They are like the hillbilly Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation. You don’t really want to be seen with them, but they always want to be around you. BTW, shitter’s full! 😀

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas is another Indiana. They used to be good a long time ago, and think they’re still relevant when they aren’t.

• They still haven’t forgiven the Brady-permed coach for saying he’d “crawl to Kentucky”.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:47 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas doesn’t exist.

5. secrick
    10:28 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Northern Ky doesn’t have a chance DO THEY? I guess i am a little nervous about this game.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Nah! But they have a cool mascot! Honestly, you have to feel a little sorry for them, but keep in mind that these kids are living their dream just to be playing in the Dance, win or lose. They will have fun no matter what – no pressure on them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

They would have to absolutely light it up from the 3 line.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

No, NKU is bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• I’m not too concerned, but remember Lehigh and Mercer. I still can’t believe Duke came back the year after Mercer and took it in 2015. Grrr!!!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:51 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Not to scare anyone, but NKU has a better defense than us. Ranked 154 by ESPN, UK is ranked 167. For what it’s worth…(not much).

• Realme
      10:54 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand how we can be just outside the top 10 on some metrics, and in the high 100s in others, defensively. Somebody’s measuring stick is wrong.

• LakerCat, they also almost lost to a team that won 8 regular season games in their tourney championship. Of course I’m sure they’ll play out of their minds against UK, but as long as our guys aren’t totally asleep at the wheel, it won’t matter.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:00 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Does “almost” count in March?

6. Realme
    10:31 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

That coaching staff started the game showing poor sportsmanship, and when their players followed their example, they compounded it by teaching them not to take responsibility for their actions.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Watching the conference tournaments last weekend, I thought I saw a commercial with Lonzo Ball, his Dad, and his brothers. Don’t really know what the subject was; but, how could this be and who would pay for a national ad. Doesn’t that violate NCAA rules?
    I remember Steve Alford was suspended 2 games when he was at Indiana, and posed for a sorority calendar that was sold for charity.

• Realme
      10:37 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

If one of our player’s parents was openly trying to get a shoe deal during the season, I bet it would be a problem for the NCAA.

• secrick
      10:39 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

The Ball family think a lot of themselves it looks like . The dad said his son is better than Jordan, that’s what i heard he said.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, and do you think it would take the NCAA several years to investigate it before sweeping it under the rug (a la UNC)? Nah! It would be priority #1.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

The dad said he himself was better than Jordan back when he played. He said his son Lonzo was better than Steph Curry.

• Realme
      10:43 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

He’s getting what he wants, which is attention. No way he actually believes anything he’s saying. Seems like he brought Lebron into this also.

• Once his sons start going pro you’ll see the same memes that people were doing for Brian Williams after his lie was found out.

Did you know Lamar Ball would have scored 101 if it was him instead of Wilt Chamberlain???

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

He’s not lying, he is simply presenting “alternate facts”. 😀

• Ha!

I actually agree with Realme. There’s no way he really thinks he could have beaten Jordan. If he does, he needs to be evaluated.

BTW, if the Bulls had had Lamar they would have won 12 straight!

• ukjaybrat
      11:19 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

uh hes straight up a lunatic. dude claims he could have beaten one of the two best (if not the best) basketball players in the history of the game. and ive never heard of him until his overrated pos kid starts playing for ucla and his face got on tv bc of it. dude you’re probably not even as good as any of your kids that cant play defense to save their lives.

• 2Dogs
      1:18 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I think the commercial was for an ESPN special on the boys and I presume their lunatic father. So the hype the father is trying to generate is apparently working. I’m sure it’s wrong to hope young people fail, specifically the youngest, but I can live with the guilt.

8. UKrailbird
    10:36 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

From the New World Encyclopedia…
    “Kentucky also has the greatest length of navigable waterways and streams in the continental 48 states.”
    Reference:

9. UKrailbird
    10:38 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas has had a “thug” basketball culture since Nolan Richardson created and nurtured it.

• secrick
      10:41 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I think the little guard should have been shown the exit to.

10. Realme
    11:10 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I bet Matt’s as good at tennis as he is at Camp Cal basketball and charity softball.

11. secrick
    11:22 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Is anyone in the Midwest the cards bracket good enough to beat Louisville beside Kansas and you know how Self chokes in these things.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:33 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I would say Iowa State or Purdue “could” both beat Louisville. I’m like you, I think the one who advances to play Kansas takes them out.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Louisville has looked good at times, but they are inconsistent. They have dropped a couple of games that are simply puzzling. I think they have a solid chance at an Elite eight run, but hard for me to see them getting to the FF or the national championship this year.

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Louisville is a good defensive team, but they have trouble putting points up and may struggle a bit with good shooting teams.

12. J-Dub421
    11:45 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ son plays for Northwestern, who just made the tournament for the first time ever. She won the internet by posting a video of her “Elaine dance” from Seinfeld saying that Northwestern was going dancing. 🙂

• secrick
      11:48 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

That was one funny show. Can Vandy beat them?

• runningunnin.454
      12:32 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Doubtful Vandy can beat Northwestern.