KSR County Spotlight: I Campbell-leive I’m in Campbell County!

campbellcounty

And we’re back. Did the Budget Inn have a nice breakfast spread?  Didn’t think so. Okay, this is a big trip. Make up the guest room mom because we’re going to jump on KY-7 north and head to the top of the state and my home county, Campbell!

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Located in the northern tip of the state, Campbell County became Kentucky’s 19th county when it was founded in December 1794.  Campbell County’s namesake, John Campbell, was an explorer, soldier, statesman and one of the original drafters of Kentucky Constitution.  In addition to multiple lakes around the county, the Licking and Ohio rivers provide plenty of options when looking to spend a day on the water.   Campbell County is made up of many small cities.  Places like Alexandria and California to the south, up through Silver Grove and Dayton to Bellevue and Newport in the north gives everyone the opportunity to live the country life, city life, or somewhere in between.

Of these cities, the one with the most decorated past has to be Newport, which was known in the early 1900’s by the familiar moniker, Sin City.  When prohibition hit in 1920, Newport business owners had a choice of stopping alcohol sales and going out of business, or selling it illegally.  They chose the latter, and with that came organized crime and a man named George Remus.  Remus used a loophole in the Volstead Prohibition Acts to produce whiskey for ‘medicinal’ purposes.  In doing so, he was able to open numerous backroom casinos and speakeasies.  This netted him millions upon millions of dollars.  Remus was known to throw lavish parties while giving out expensive gifts, including one time allegedly giving a new car to each of the 100 couples at his dinner party.  Unfortunately, I was busy that night. It has been claimed by many that Remus was the inspiration for Jay Gatsby in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s ‘The Great Gatsby.’

I can see the resemblance.

I can see the resemblance.

Now that we’ve hit the past, let’s talk about what you can do now.  Campbell County’s unique setup gives you the opportunity to tickle whatever fancy you might have.  Are you a little more country?  Check out the truck pulls at the Alexandria Fair Grounds, or shoot some guns out at the Bob White Club.  Have a little more city in you?  Head to the Levee on the river in Newport and hit the aquarium, or grab a beer at the Hofbrahaus.  No matter how you have fun, Campbell County won’t let you down.

Photo courtesy of northernkentuckyattractions.com

northernkentuckyattractions.com

Speaking of fun, let’s check out our three best events …. First on the list, you have to visit GoettaFest.  Goetta (Get-ta)  is a German-American breakfast sausage made of pork, oats and spices.  In short, goetta is fantastic.  I mean, it has it’s own fest. No gross food has its own fest. Goettafest is a four day festival on the Levee where you can sample hundreds of different goetta recipes.  From goetta tacos, to goetta brownies, to even goetta sushi (it’s actually pretty good), you can sample everything that is this glorious breakfast food.

Photo courtesy of goettafest.com

goettafest.com

Our second event is easily my favorite.  Every Labor Day, me and 600,000 of my closes friends meet down at the river for the greatest spectacle in fire and music, the WEBN Fireworks.  For one amazing night a year, two barges from Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks send glorious freedom rockets into the air synced to the best in rock and roll.  I’ve been to this and Thunder Over Louisville, and this one is WAY better.  Why?  Because it’s not in Louisville.

My favorite waterfall is one made of fire.  Photo from yelp.com

My favorite waterfall is one made of fire.

What’s the third thing to do when in Campbell County?  High school football.  With 8 high schools in the county, there’s always a game going on.  Whether you’re watching the annual Bellevue/Dayton rivalry game down at Gilligan Stadium, or my fighting Camels battling those dirty Brossart Mustangs, Friday Night Lights is something our county does.  Speaking of which, I can’t mention football in Campbell County without a few lines about those pesky Highlands Bluebirds.  That’d be the 22 time KHSAA State Champion Bluebirds.  While I’m a little salty as that’s just about 22 more state titles than my school, I can’t be too upset at the school that gave us Patrick Towles, Derek Smith and worldwide celebrity Jared Lorenzen.

Look hos slim my man was!  Photo from FtThomasMatters.com

Look how slim my man was! (Photo from FtThomasMatters.com)

So there you have it folks.  I hope the tour of my county was worth the drive.  If not, let’s swing by Dari Bar in Silver Grove and grab some ice cream.  Then you’ll be good.  Where should we head now?  It’s coming up on the 4th, so let’s head to the lake.  Pulaski County, you’re on deck.

Article written by Corey James

26 Comments for KSR County Spotlight: I Campbell-leive I’m in Campbell County!

1. ushouldno
    9:38 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

You forgot to mention the greatest DJ ever used to live in Campbell county, “Gary Burbank”. Since retirement he now spends much of his time in Ocala. He was the best in the business.

2. MoreHistory
    10:05 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Nice, but You forgot to mention the fact that F. Scott Fitzgerald got the idea to write “the great gatsby” from AND based it off of the 1920’s Louisville party scene. In fact, one of the most famius scenes of his novel is Daisy’s wedding which takes place in the Seelbach. At this point in time Remus was the Protege to the world famous AL Capone who spent Many a week in Louisville during Prohibition. It was in the Historic Seelbach Hotel in downtown Louisville, during the time that a young F. Scott fitzgerald was stationed at camp Zachary Taylor, that he would be drinking in the same room as these famous bootleggers of the time. It is even rumored that Fitzgerald scribbled down portions of his soon to be novel on a napkin during his nights drinking at the Seelbach.
    Today, there is a resturant named “Gatsby’s” in the historic Seelbach which pays tribute to these rich times.

3. Cheaters
    10:06 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Highlands aka Recruiters aka cheaters

• NKYBLUEBIRD
      8:12 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

crabby Cov Cath fan?
      It’s ok little brother!

4. HoldUpAMinute!
    10:10 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Did you seriously just say that you prefer some secon class fireworks show just because it isn’t in your state’s biggest city? Wow… You have some deep rooted problems buddy. You DO realize that the city and university are two different things, right? Thunder over Louisville is the largest fireworks display in North America and is preceded by one of the country’s top 5 air shows.
    Thunder is televised in over 100 countries in the world and has gotten as many as a few million views in Russia. The grand marshals of the event a few years ago were Astronauts that were in the international space station at the time! Dude… Drop your baggage and stop the hate. Your state’s biggest city is a great place and has a lot to be proud of. Don’t be so backwards..

• WaitASecond!
      10:25 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

You DO realize it was just a throwaway, humorous dig at the home of a rival from a Kentucky sports site right?

• GrumpyOldDude
      10:30 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

2nd class? That’s rich, clearly, you’ve never seen the WEBN shows and heard the accompanying, choreographed, music soundtracks that have been going on 13 years longer than your Thunder show. Sprinkle in well over 500,000 people viewing and a week-long party on both sides of the river with tons of live music and food. Also broadcast annually and streamed to millions, thanks.

Grand marshals are for parades, not fireworks. Backwards is discounting this show.

• HoldUp!
      10:33 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

ACTUALLY, it isn’t… It is becoming a deep rooted psychological problem in our great state. Louisville is our ONLY first class city by population and on of the greatest major cities in the country… Yet we are training our youth (even if it is simply with throwaway, humorous digs) to hate our states largest and greatest city JUST because another basketball team resides there. We should be proud of Kentucky, not shun ourselves like schizos… Seriously. Louisville, like the rest of Kentucky, rocks and we need to stop constantly acting like it is something we don’t like. Now don’t get me wrong… I could understand if it was occasional… But it seems to be daily with most UK fans, and has a deep rooted actual hatred for the city to coincide (despite all that the city gives our great state in both history and culture but also economy). Cheers Kentucky!

• HoldUp!
      10:39 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Grumpy old dude,

Bahahahaha… You are cute.. Firstly, if the attendance is 500,000 then yes, it is second class… That is half of what thunder draws every year. Like I said: THUNDER OVER LOUISVILLE IS THE lARGEST FIREWORKS DISPLAY IN NORTH AMERICA… Stop being jealous and grumpy old dude. It is clear Thunder over Louisville is better… With music.. And an airshow… And two weeks of festivals to follow it…
      And maybe if you had ever been to a proper fireworks display… You’d know that a grand marshal kicks it off.. Smart one.. Try leaving your little shell old dude.

• pseudonym
      11:25 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Now children, play nice. If you are going to act like little babies you are going to go to “time out”.

• catdaddyd
      9:51 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

HOLDUP- Thunder does not draw a million people.

Thunder lasts throughout the day, and the fireworks display last for around half an hour, along with a synchronized soundtrack through PA and radio. An average of 625,000 people have attended each year since 1997, lining the banks of the Ohio River in Louisville, and across the river in Jeffersonville and Clarksville, Indiana.

5. CPACAT
    10:11 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Love me some Silver Grove Dari-Bar!!

6. Gotta Geta Geotta
    10:20 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Geotta is good stuff and interestingly pretty much exclusive to the Cincinnati area.

7. CurtDog
    10:51 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Dude, Marty Moore is from Highlands. A badass.

8. Gap Tooth Danny
    10:57 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

Newport used to be a pretty wild place, but the next town east of there is Wilder.

• Dave
      7:16 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

I see what you did there. Isn’t it to the southwest tho? I think Bellevue is to the east.

9. Leland Tinkleman
    11:08 pm June 19, 2014 Permalink

You forgot to mention that the best college coach ever except for Coach Rupp, Coach Hall, Tubby or Coach Cal got his start at Dayton High School, one John Wooden.

10. Barry Soetoro
    1:42 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

1994’s Mr Irrelevant UK football grad, Marty Moore, also played at Highlands. 10 time NCAA championship Coach John Wooden coached two years at Dayton High School in Dayton, Kentucky (Campbell County). His first year at Dayton, the 1932-33 season, marked the only time he had a losing record (6—11) as a coach.

11. I knew it
    4:26 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

So your saying you like to eat sausage down by the river………….

12. NKYBLUEBIRD
    8:11 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

About time NKY got some love baby!. GO BIRDS, GO CATS and GO NORSE!

13. 2mites
    9:04 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

I love these county tours. Neat to hear the information about them and the history of them. Hope KSR keeps it going but a 120 counties is a lot. Only Texas has more.

• ushouldno
      1:20 pm June 20, 2014 Permalink

Georgia also has more, I believe 155.

14. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    11:09 am June 20, 2014 Permalink

Love the shout-out to my Camels. If nothing else, they always content in wrestling. Coach B is one of the best.

• Corey James
      1:28 pm June 20, 2014 Permalink

Camel Pride baby! #Classof2003

15. KentuckyProud
    1:22 pm June 20, 2014 Permalink

This article has it all, it’s witty, informative, and light hearted. Everything mentioned is so much fun and it truly makes Campbell County a great place to live. I learned a few really neat things, about the place in which I’ve always lived. Kuddos Corey you’re the bomb.

Also if you’re looking for another great firework show for the fourth, flock to the river (same place you go for WEBN). Every year for the last 4 years Rozzi has put on a spectacular 30-45 minute firework show. Each year it gets bigger and bigger. I’ve had a blast all 4 years.

Also this year there is a Cincinnati Reds game on the forth of July with a firework show as well. So my plan is to go to the game catch the fireworks there, then head back over to Newport and watch more fireworks! Its a win-win!

No matter where you live in Kentucky.. lets just agree Kentucky is the very best (Can’t we all just be friends?) and no offense but HOLDUP! I think you took the Louisville JOKE to heart a little too much. Kentucky is awesome no matter what color we bleed (*cough..cough* Blue). =) I too love the city of Louisville so I understand you’re love of their fireworks and the city.

Come to Campbell County! You won’t be sorry!

16. sincitycat
    2:01 pm June 20, 2014 Permalink

I grew up in Newport during its Sin City days before Christians ruined the town. I have hated organized religion ever since.