KSR County Spotlight: A-dair You To Not Love Adair County

adair-county

Welcome friends to the second of what will hopefully be 118 or so more editions of KSR County Spotlight. Way back in 2008, while probably needing some filler posts thanks to Billy Clyde, Matt had the idea of highlighting every county in our beautiful state. Giving it the old college try, he made it all the way through Adair County, the first one. I’m here to revive the series and hopefully leave you with a little insight as to what makes our state so great. And at worst, you’ll get some sweet puns. Now, come visit Adair County with me …

Founded in December 1801 from parts of Green County, Adair County was named in honor of the late, great John Adair, Kentucky’s 8th governor. Part of the Pennyrile region, 40% of the county is covered by trees, coming in a close second to Chane Behanan’s living room floor. However, the major feature of the county is the Green River, where I hear paradise lays. Many an Adair resident can be found basking in the sun on a boat or a dock during the summer months.

Adair County’s biggest city, A Great Place To Call Home I’m told, is Columbia. This tranquil little city of just under 5,000 is a great place for family life, boasting such events as the Mark Twain Marching Band Festival (see below), Renaissance Columbia Downtown Days and a great 4th of July celebration for those of you still looking for plans. A quick shout out to Emily Peck, Adair County High School’s 2014 Valedictorian. Congratulations Emily, although I doubt you read sites like this seeing as you’re Valedictorian.

In its 212 year history, Adair County has seen its share of famous residents. One of these is Jane Lampton Clemens, the mother of a man named Samuel Clemens. You may know Samuel better as famous American author Mark Twain. While he had written some of the world’s most recognizable books you didn’t read that 7th grade summer, (because who does summer reading?), Twain is just as famous for his majestic mustache. Hmm good looking Kentucky mustachioed writers …

One more resident I think needs mentioning is a Ms. Evelyn West. After growing up a bit, Evelyn got a job working in a ‘sideshow’ in the Illinois State Fair. While I’m not sure what exactly her role was in said sideshow, I think this next tidbit my help shed some light. After moving on to a career in burlesque, Evelyn is reported to have had her unusually large bust line insured for $50,000 through Lloyd’s of London, THEN tried to legally change her name to Evelyn “$50,000 Treasure Chest” West. Can’t make this stuff up.

One of the prominent establishments in Adair County is Lindsey Wilson College. Nestled on a hill top in Columbia, this college of 2,645 is one of the fastest growing independent colleges in the state. This liberal-arts college offers many different courses in the spring/fall while still hosting great events during the summer. Is anyone else going to TheatreFest Summer Camp next week? Seriously, I need a ride.

Obviously we can’t forget the most famous Adair attraction … THE WORLD’S NICEST BURGER KING!! Every time Matt and the boys swing by Columbia, they have to stop by this palace to host a remote and grab a Whopper.  I’m not sure what you folks are putting in your fast food water down there, but make mine a double, with cheese.

So there it is folks, our tour continues. As always, I encourage you to get out and visit these wonderful places. Also, please feel free to email me any stories/thoughts/fun facts on the county you’re from at [email protected] or leave them below in the comments section.  Allen County, you’re on the clock.

Article written by Corey James

22 Comments for KSR County Spotlight: A-dair You To Not Love Adair County

1. jeff j
    4:08 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

geeeeze cant wait to get to Zarbo county !! kernel “William bill bob Zarbo rode through on a horse in 1799 and said this is MY county lol

2. Russell County
    4:13 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Lakers>Indians

3. colbert
    4:19 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

how long did Twain live there?

4. ribin
    4:29 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Add Janice Holt Giles — she did ‘a little writing’ as well !!!

5. TwoScoopsOfHot
    4:40 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Nice reference to John Prine there, but Paradise (the old trading post) was in Muhlenberg county, not Adair county.

6. darrell hughes
    4:42 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

It’s also home to Real Housewives of Orange County cast member, University of Kentucky graduate and Miss Kentucky USA Lizzie Rovsek. http://www.bravotv.com/people/lizzie-rovsek/bio

7. Webster County
    5:02 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Also gets a mention in the Chris Knight song “Becky’s Bible”

It was a long night card game
    With Earl Ray and Bobby
    And some ol boy they worked with from Adair
    That boy didnt like me
    Then he said I was cheatin
    Gun shots rang out on the midnight air

8. wildcats4me2
    5:04 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Corey, I enjoy your articles on the counties. I would like to throw out a suggestion for you if you don’t mind. It would be a lot more interesting to me, and I’m guessing many others, if you would include a map of Kentucky showing the counties and highlighting the one you are writing about. Thanks

9. classof68
    5:51 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t know Samuel Clemens was a resident of Adair Co. Apparently neither did Wikipedia.

• LHS1969
      6:07 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

That’s because he was not – his mother was. I suggest a re-read and retraction.

• Dee W.
      3:40 am June 7, 2014 Permalink

No where in the article does it say Samuel Clemens was a resident of Adair County.

10. James Porter
    6:08 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

I’m really enjoying these KY county highlights and am looking forward to the Elliott Co. Spotlight, my home county. In high
    school (Greenup Co.), in one of my classes, to get an A the student had to learn all 120 counties
    and their county seat. Yes, I earned my A!
    I like the suggestion of showing a map of the county being highlighted.

11. OMGMattyG
    6:09 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

I can’t wait ’til you guys get to Bath County and can’t make it past 3 random facts. (Assuming you use ‘Bath County is the hometown of OMGMattyG’ as the third, otherwise you wont make it past 2.)

12. Adair Resident
    6:28 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

You forgot to mention Medal of Honor Marine Dakota Meyer is from and lives in Adair County

13. Peabody Coaltrain
    8:45 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Paradise, the title of the John Prine song, is on Green River in Muhlenberg County, not Adair .

14. bluetooth
    9:07 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

I won tickets last year to the boise st vs uk game . had a great time , met coach hall after the game . thank you matt and ksr

15. Darth
    9:08 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

No shout out to Adair native and Matt Jones homie Gabe Pendleton?

16. Ike sneed
    10:30 pm June 6, 2014 Permalink

Let it riiiiidddddeee

17. RC
    1:23 am June 7, 2014 Permalink

Need to do a profile of Russell County. 10-15 minutes east of Adair County. Tara Conner and Steve Warriner. Matt and Drew seemed to enjoy their visit to the Cove last summer. Beautiful golf courses and right on Lake Cumberland. Home to one of the oldest and largest county fairs in the state. Terrence Jones signed a baby here.

18. fairplay
    7:58 am June 7, 2014 Permalink

These profiles will surely get better after Corey earns his college degree.

19. Lampshade
    12:36 pm June 7, 2014 Permalink

Are we doing Adair county or Muhlenberg?

20. None better
    11:12 am June 8, 2014 Permalink

Come on, give the guy a break! The man sighted as much as he could for not being a resident. I was raised there the first 20yrs of my life and he hit the highlights. I’m proud of my small town but let’s be real, there’s just not a whole lot of info floating around. It’s mostly folk lore. My favorite being that “supposedly” Frank and Jesse James robbed the First National Bank (now First and Farmers) on the square. I hear they keep the desk that still holds a bullet from the event in the basement of the building. I’ve never seen it but who knows, it could be true! I’d like to give u a big “Thanks” for ur efforts, it’s a fun read!!