We are excited to have our friends at Kroger on board as we bring you high school football coverage this fall. Each week Kroger will present the KSR High School Game of the Week. We will travel to the featured game each week to bring you the best sights, sounds and incredible moments. Together we’re happy supporters of “KY Proud Products” and the “Kentucky Agricultural Development Fund.”
KSR will travel down the BG Parkway to beautiful Bardstown Friday for a showdown between two Top 5 teams in Class 3A. The district battle could determine home field advantage in the 2nd round of the playoffs come November.
The teams have played every year since 2015, with the Panthers holding a 4-2 edge.
- 2015: Elizabethtown 38 Bardstown 7
- 2016: Bardstown 27 Elizabethtown 13
- 2017: Elizabethtown 48 Bardstown 0
- 2018: Elizabethtown 31 Bardstown 7
- 2019: Elizabethtown 20 Bardstown 14 (OT)
- 2019 (Playoffs): Bardstown 51 Elizabethtown 27
Last Year’s Games
Elizabethtown won the regular season game 20-14 in overtime at home thanks to two rushing TDs from Camron McNeil.
Bardstown got revenge in the playoffs, knocking off E-town 51-27 in the 2nd round. Bardstown RB LaDarian Montgomery rushed for 173 yards on 23 carries and caught 4 passes for 74 yards and a score. He was bottled up in the regular season game versus the Panthers, gaining only 50 yards, but dominated in the game that mattered. Unfortunately for Bardstown, Montgomery is now a junior at Bethlehem High School, where he already has 10 TDs.
In 1969, Elizabethtown won the Class 2A state title, its only football championship. That same year, Bardstown went all the way to the finals of Class A but lost to my Mt. Sterling Trojans. Speaking of Mt. Sterling, Court Days is better than the Morgan County Sorghum Festival. That is all.
E-town senior QB Clay Games has started since his sophomore season, while Bardstown senior QB Brady Clark has been starting since his freshman year. This season they have combined for 39 TDs and zero picks. That could make for a high scoring game! In fact, these are the two highest-scoring teams in all of Class 3A.
Elizabethtown’s four leading receivers (Camden Williams, Khia Sherrard, Alandre Murphy, and Kam Sherrard) were all key pieces on the Panthers’ region championship basketball team last year. E-town defeated Bardstown 74-72 in the 5th region final despite UofL signee JJ Traynor’s 30 points and 15 rebounds. The Panthers are expected to be a Top 5 basketball team in the state this season and could win their second title. Former Cat Antwain Barbour led them to the 2000 title.
Home teams are only 1-5 in the KSR Game of the Week. That could be an advantage for the Panthers.
- Week 1: Frederick Douglass LOST to North Hardin 19-17
- Week 2: Pikeville DEFEATED Belfry 20-14
- Week 3: Simon Kenton LOST to Johnson Central 47-17
- Week 4: Bowling Green LOST to South Warren 10-7
- Week 5: Owensboro Catholic LOST to Owensboro 28-14
- Week 6: Somerset LOST to LCA 28-21
- KSR Class Ranking: No. 3 in 3A
- State Championships: 1 (2A – 1969)
- State Runner-up: 4 (2A – 1967, 1968, 2003) (3A – 1981)
- Last Season: Finished 9-3. Lost to Bardstown in the 2nd round of the Class 3A playoffs.
- This Season:
- Defeated Central Hardin 20-14
- Defeated Thomas Nelson 40-0
- Defeated Nelson County 76-0
- Defeated West Jessamine 48-13
- Defeated Meade County 36-6
- Defeated LaRue County 53-20
- Sr QB Clay Games – 61-for-100 for 958 yards, 15 TDs and 0 INTs, 3-year starter
- Sr RB/LB Camran McNeil – 66 carries for 646 yards and 7 TDs, 2 Rec TDs, Leads team in tackles with 43
- Sr WR/DB Camden Williams – 25 catches for 292 yards (both team highs), 3 TDs
- Sr OL/DL Ryan Pyles – 35 tackles and a team high 10 TFL
- KSR Class Ranking: No. 5 in 3A
- State Titles: 4 (A – 1967, 1970) (2A – 1981, 2001)
- State Runner-up: 3 (A – 1969, 1992, 1993)
- Last Season: Finished 10-3. Lost to DeSales 41-7 in 3rd round of the Class 3A playoffs
- This Season:
- Defeated Washington County 46-27
- Defeated Spencer County 49-7
- Defeated LaRue County 58-16
- Defeated Nelson County 65-13
- Defeated Marion County 56-0
- Defeated Thomas Nelson 47-0
- Sr QB Brady Clark – 65-for-101 for 1,088 yards, 24 TDs and 0 INTS. Four-year starter
- SR RB/DB Adarius Anthony – 24 carriers for 350 yards and 4TDs, 10 catches for 162 yards and 6 TDs,
- Sr WR/LB/DB Gray Clark – 10 catches for 196 yards and 5 TDs. A team-high 60 tackles, including 7 TFL and 2 forced fumbles
- Sr RB/LB DaTrail Wright – 26 carries for 225 yards and 5 TDs. 31 Tackles.